Go to notes and disclaimers

The Clash
by Jim Morrison


Chapter VI
Tender


"I was on the outside when you said
You said you needed me
I was looking at myself
I was blind, I could not see"—U2

S o you're on for tonight? You and Max?" Lee asked as he scribbled something down on the pad by the phone. "Uh-hu. What? Glor's coming? Yeah. No sex though. We got in shit last time Dad came home and found someone screwing on the couch! AAAH! That's fucken sick man!"

Legolas' yell brought forth an apron-clad and flour-covered Aragorn from the kitchen.

"What is it?!" He asked, wondering what prompted the outburst from his brother. Legolas shook his head and waved him away, mouthing the words "I'll tell you later" before turning his attention back to the phone and the conversation he was holding with Danny.

"You're one sick fuck, Elladan Rivendell! Sick!" Legolas yelled into the phone, making Aragorn shake his head before going back into the kitchen.

The yelling continued for a few more minutes until Legolas calmed down enough to continue the conversation with the other elf.

"Fine. So see you at seven? Okay. Cool." Lee hung up and wandered into the kitchen, where Aragorn was busy making his "Special" brownies for later on. Bags of chips and dip littered the lightwood dining table as well as several baggies of what Lee preferred to call "Mara Jade" and "Weezer" After the band whose eponymous song had introduced everyone to the wonders of it.

"Shit man!" Lee exclaimed when he saw the large amounts of Mara Jade that his brother was putting into the brownie batter. "You're going to make them autistic if you put that much in."

Aragorn snorted and proceeded to stir the pot into the batter in order to distribute it evenly.

Legolas shook his head. "I mean it bro. You're gonna make them stupid."

Aragorn looked up from his work. "Who's all coming?" He asked evenly as he grabbed a square pan he had greased earlier and poured the batter in.

"Danny, Max, Sam, Glor, Ken, Tro, Cat, Duo, Milliardo, Marie, Sally, Yohji, Ken, Sonny, Karen, Sora and Kamui. I think that's it." Lee replied after ticking off all the names. Aragorn frowned.

"That's the official list, I'm guessing." He said, frowning slightly as he scraped the last of the batter off the bowl and quickly put the brownies in the oven to bake. Lee nodded.

"So who can we expect to crash?" Aragorn asked as he rummaged around the cupboards for another box of brownie mix for yet another batch of brownies.

"Probably your lovely ex-girlfriends. Both of them. Maybe Eomer if he's gotten over his hissy fit, Theoden, Frodo, cause we all know that he's really after Sam even if he doesn't want to admit it Rose Cotton, who still hasn't gotten a clue that Sam is as gay as the day is long, Harry Pot-head, but we won't have to worry about him cause he's got his own stash and won't cause problems, The Weasleys and maybe some of the other Rohan boys. I don't know."

Aragorn shrugged. "Fine. You told the others to get here as soon as possible and to BYOV if they could?" He asked his brother, who nodded. "Good then. I just gotta make this last batch and we'll be all set. Lee, clear all the valuables from the living room and put out the burnt C.D's. I still haven't found my Daft Punk from the last party and I don't intend for it to happen again."

Lee grimaced. "I know. My bloody Garbage disappeared too and I'm sure that bastard Eomer stole it." He shook his head. "That guy is such a fucker. I'm totally glad that Boromir managed to kick his head in. He sure needed it." He said before turning to leave the kitchen and clean up the living room. On his way there, he paused and looked back at Aragorn, who was busy mixing up the batter.

"Speaking of Boromir, is he coming?" He asked, all the while hoping his voice didn't sound to eager or too wistful when he mentioned the blonde human. He had such a brief meeting with him that day, and it still didn't seem like enough for them to be able to catch up on the missing time between St. Kilda's and now. He had missed Boromir and Faramir all the time he had spent in St. Victorie and the Youth Centre waiting for those morons to verify the agreement between his mother and Arathorn Strider. It would be nice to see Boromir outside the confines that school no doubt had placed on him and his brother. And even himself, despite how much he had stepped off the path.

For several moments, there was only silence in the kitchen that stretched out for what seemed an eternity. Even though he was a terribly patient elf, Lee had to admit that it looked like Aragorn wasn't going to answer anytime soon.

Giving a soft sigh, he was about to leave when his brother finally spoke.

"I haven't called him yet." Aragorn finally admitted as he mixed the batter harder than it actually needed to be mixed. Lee raised an eyebrow when he noticed that Aragorn's face had gone a light pink. "I see." The elf thought to himself when he finally realized that Aragorn was nervous.

"Why don't you call him right now then?" Lee coaxed. "You do have his number right?"

A small nod confirmed his suspicions. Lee grinned. "Call him then. I'm sure he'd come." He said before grabbing the bowl out of Aragorn's hands and shoving him towards the extension that sat on the counter in one fluid move. "Hey! You're gonna screw those up, Legolas!" He yelped in a last ditch-attempt to gain more time to actually get some courage to call Boromir and invite him to the party, where he hoped that he could have more time to get to know the stoic blond a little better than he had in those short intervals between classes. As well as getting an actual agreement of commitment from him.

"Sha. If I recall correctly, brother, I taught you how to make them. So don't give me such a lame excuse for chickening out on calling Boromir." Legolas retorted before he shoved Aragorn towards the phone yet again. "All right. All right." Aragorn grumbled as he walked over to the phone. Digging into his pocket, he then fished out the crumpled note that held Boromir's number and quickly picked up the receiver and dialed as fast as he could before he lost his nerve.

The phone rang once. Twice. Three times. He was about to hang up when someone picked up. "Hello?"

###

"Where are your parents?" Pippin asked Boromir as he watched the older human put a clean, if somewhat faded sheet printed with pictures of soccer players on the small bed in Faramir's room. It had been decided by harried Celeborn that Pippin and Merry would share a room, while Boromir and Faramir would go back to sharing Boromir's basement room as they had done when they had first arrived in the Lothloriens' care.

Unfortunately, Celeborn had to leave and ordered Boromir and Faramir to give the little monsters a bath and set up the bedrooms for them. So that was how Boromir found himself putting soccer sheets on the beds while being watched by a clean, if somewhat chatty Pippin. Merry and Faramir, in the meantime, were busy in the bath, one yelling bloody murder, while the other was getting thoroughly soaked. Although Boromir knew that Merry, who had somewhat thawed on the way home, had told them brusquely that he was nine and Pippin was seven; he sincerely hoped that the older hobbit wouldn't decide to run out of the bathroom naked in order to escape being clean.

"They died when my brother and I were very young." Boromir replied quietly as he smoothed the sheet down onto the bed before he reached over to the pile of bedding that sat on Mir's bed for another sheet. Strangled screams came from the bathroom, followed by a loud splash which made Pippin jump slightly and Boromir cast a pleading look at the heavens.

"Oh." Pippin replied in a quiet voice. He watched Boromir tuck the other sheet in place in silence before he spoke again. He couldn't, for the life of him, remain quiet. He always had to know things, talk about things, wonder about things. It wasn't his fault, it was just the way he was. Too bad that his parents never could grow accustomed to his innocent queries. That and his hyperactivity earned him too many blows that even Merry couldn't easily protect him from. "Do you remember anything about them?" He asked. Boromir placed the yellow fuzzed blanket that had belonged to Faramir on the bed and sat down on the floor beside the young hobbit.

"Not really. I know my mum had green eyes like my brother's and mine." He answered truthfully. He really didn't recall Fiundilas Denethorson. Just fragments of her. Her scent, which was sweet and tangy like warm peach pie, her long brown hair which he would play with when she held him and Faramir. Her green eyes as they shone with laughter and happiness. The way her arms made him feel safe from the world outside.

"How about your dad?" Pippin persisted, moving ever so slightly closer to Boromir, having decided in the past twenty minutes that he was a very safe person to be with. Although he knew that Merry didn't feel too comfortable being around him or the elf-lady and her husband and had somewhat warned him about lowering his guard against them; he felt strangely comfortable with Boromir. Namely because he was talking to him and hadn't made any move to prove that he would be violent any time soon.

Boromir smiled faintly before he turned to look at the little nosy hobbit. Although he was getting exasperated with the little bugger, Boromir humoured him mainly because he knew that the poor kid was just trying to get a sense of security. He knew what it was like to be yanked out of a miserable, yet familiar place and thrust into another where there was no link to the past. No lifelines that could be grasped in case things turned out worse than they had been before. Even though he had someone beside him to share the burdens, he knew that the kid must be scared as hell. Even though it wasn't fairly obvious, the way that Pippin had been gravitating towards him was proof enough the kid was looking for someone to ease his fears.

"Ah... Faramir and I don't know our dad." Boromir answered, tasting a bit of the old bitterness in his mouth as he spoke. Even though he had long become reconciled with the fact that his dad had been some fly-by-night artist that didn't give a damn about him and his brother, it still hurt to remember being called a bastard and seeing other kids with their dads at the park playing catch and what not.

"Oh." He replied again, picking at the frayed hem of his loose, hand-me down sweat-shirt. He sat silent for a few minutes, making Boromir wonder if his thoughts had strayed off somewhere when a light touch on his arm made him look down at the impish face.

"Don't worry. Dads aren't that great anyways." Boromir raised an eyebrow at this comment. Pippin nodded, mistaking his silence for disbelief. "Uh-hu. All they do is yell at you and hit you."

He said as he rolled up his sleeve and showed Boromir a column of circular welts that started from the boy's thin wrist and moved up to disappear under his sweater.

Boromir's eyes widened as his hand moved gently over the welts, which looked pretty nasty despite being half-healed. Although it may have hurt Pippin to have those raw spots touched, he didn't show any discomfort as Boromir's hand moved over them. "He did this to you?" Boromir asked as he pulled his hand away and gently lowered Pippin's sleeve.

Pippin only nodded, his head lowered so that Boromir wouldn't be able to see his face.

"You wanna talk about it?" Pippin shook his head violently.

"You want to be alone then?" Boromir asked, hoping that he hadn't broken anything inside the little kid. Even though he knew that Pippin was the one that had wanted to talk and was the one that showed him the scars and the like, he should have been much more careful in dealing with him.

He grimaced in frustration and looked out the window as he silently berated himself on being so insensitive to Pippin's needs. He should have been more careful, he chided himself. Even though the kids were utterly mellow after they had left the school and come home, he shouldn't have been fooled by the easy-going nature of the kid.

After getting no answer and agonizing over the possible damage that he may have inflicted on the kid, Boromir decided to take off before anything else could go wrong between them.

The decision was further reinforced when he heard the phone ringing in the living room.

He got up quickly and was about to sprint out to get the phone when Pippin screamed. "NO! Don't leave!" He cried, his eyes shimmering with tears as he clumsily got to his feet and ran towards Boromir and proceeded to attach himself like a leech to his leg.

For several seconds, Boromir was seriously stunned as to what course of action to take next. For one thing, he had what was going to become a hysterical hobbit clinging onto his leg. For another, he had a phone to answer, since it probably was Celeborn or Galadriel calling to see if anyone had succeeded in killing themselves yet. What the hell was he going to do? Comfort the critter and ignore the phone and get in shit, or abandon the poor brat and have him cry his head off and feel abandoned yet again.

Another ring from the phone snapped him out of his indecision. Quickly grabbing the bawling hobbit and perching him on his hip, he ran towards the living room, narrowly missing the cat, Lemba and scrambled for the phone, which rang again before he picked it up.

"Hello?" He asked, holding the little hobbit tightly against his shoulder. Pippin took the opportunity and buried his head into Boromir's shirt, making the human hope that he wouldn't get too much snot onto his Rancid T-shirt.

"Boromir?" His mouth suddenly went dry when he heard the voice at the other end. "Aragorn... Uh, how's it going?" Boromir asked, mentally cursing himself the moment the words were out of his mouth. "Smooth move" He thought to himself. "He'll definitely be impressed."

Aragorn chuckled softly. "I was going to ask you the same thing. Are you okay?"

It was Boromir's turn to laugh and Aragorn's turn to feel like a moron.

"We're great conversationalists, aren't we?" He asked softly. Aragorn laughed. "No kidding." There was silence for awhile as both men pondered as to what else to say to fill the space that was quickly becoming oppressive.

"Listen. I called you because Lee and I are having a party. Just something to start the school year and we were wondering if you and Faramir would want to come." Aragorn got out in a rush.

"So what do you say? Aragorn asked, silently begging Boromir to say yes as well as being acutely aware that Legolas was listening in, clearly hoping that the answer would be yes, by the way that he was sloppily pouring the batter into the pan.

Boromir bit his lip. It was utterly tempting to go and hang out with Aragorn and Lee again, but there was also the fact that he had a crying hobbit and his sulky, yet scared brother to deal with. "Hello?" Galadriel's called out as she moved into the living room. Boromir gulped. "Well?" Aragorn asked.

###

Part VII: Between Love And Duty

larrikin75@hotmail.com

The Clash Jim Morrison
Disclaimers: I don't own these characters. You can't get blood from a turnip.
Warnings: Sort of Dark, angst. Mentions of child-abuse.
Archiving: Yes please.
Feedback: Begging on my knees.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]