Oath-bound
by Gwendolen



Scruffy and dirty, dressed in torn linen and leather, he still manages to look regal and commanding. I find myself following his orders even though I rejected him when I first heard his claim. A claim voiced not by him but in his name.

He swore himself to another, not to the people, the land or the city that are his by right.

How can I want to follow him without betraying my own oaths? I swore to protect my people. Our people. I want to see him in Minas Tirith, not here. See him on the throne even though that will destroy my father.

Why will I accept the destruction of my own family for his sake? For a king who does not want to be king? A king who refuses to see the need of his own people? Who refuses to see my need?

I cannot swear to him. My pride and my duty does not allow it and yet I follow him. Walk with him. Fight at his side. Protect his back as he protects mine. Share his blankets in the quiet hours of the night and I wish dared ask for more.

~~~

draigon@gmx.net

Titel: Oath-Bound
Author: Gwendolen
E-mail: gwendolen@gmx.de
LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/gwendolen/
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Tolkien's creation, not mine. No infringement intended.
Summary: ficlet. Oaths and the question of loyalty. A/B A/N: Again all cycnus39's fault. Thank you for being inspiration and beta.


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]