Go to notes and disclaimers

Darkness Descending
by Dûncristiel


I mislike these woods. It would be unwise to tarry here long." Boromir insisted, frowning with uneasy frustration, pacing the earthen ground of their temporary quarters for the fifth time. His heavy boots stepped upon the fallen leaves with a dead crunching sound as he walked in increasingly tighter circles, drawing gradually within himself.

The dirt, grime and blood smeared from the arduous trek under the caves of Moria had been scoured clean from his body and his sandy beard was neatly trimmed. Dressed in the soft tunic that had been given to him, Boromir once more looked every inch of the tall, proud Lord of Gondor that he was. However, his features were creased with restlessness and his posture that of someone who would rather be anywhere but where he was now.

"And I have an aversion to this Galadriel. I do not trust her. She is no better than a hedge-witch, grasping her pitiful glamours about her." Boromir continued with low harshness but his voice betrayed a slight note of agitation as he remembered with perturbed clarity, the consideration of her pale eyes as they touched upon him when the Company was bought forth before her.

A pitiless look it was, scorching through every corner of his soul, seizing his every strengths without leniency, as well as weaknesses that he did not even know had existed within himself and allowing no secrets to be shrouded from her knowledge. His mind was filled with troubled forebodings, fearing that she had seen the existence of things he would rather hold back from the light.

Aragorn's head snapped up and his dark eyes were filled with warning and admonition. It was imprudent to speak ill of Galadriel within her own dominion, he wanted to tell Boromir that. But before he could, a squat, short figure sprang to his feet to defend the White Lady's good name and he was the most unlikely candidate possible for the gulf of enmity between the Dwarven and Elven races ran deep and far-reaching.

His beard fairly bristling with suppressed wrath, Gimli growled powerfully, "Speak not so of the Lady Galadriel, friend Boromir. Do it once more and I will make sure there will never be a third time." Instinctively he groped around for his axe, only to remember belatedly that he had given his weapons to the whey-faced Elf-captain, Haldir, for keeping.

Clutching eagerly for a chance to vent his confined frustrations, Boromir's eyes gleamed with anticipation. "I would see you try, friend Gimli." Placing a particular emphasis on the second last word, his meaning was clear and pointed. He needed no sword to fight; bare fists would do just as well.

Gimli advanced a step forward, his nose twitching as if smelling blood shed already.

"Peace." Aragorn said. He did not raise his voice, but it carried forth across, plain and severe, and that one word stopped the Dwarf and Man in their tracks as effectively as a whip lashed between them. "Both of you. Sit down. You will wake the others." He glanced briefly towards the four bundles lying snug and cosy in their bed couches a short distance away.

Perhaps it was due to the earth-loving nature of the hobbits that the Galadhrim would know of, and so it happened the Fellowship had found their shelter was an austere pavilion, nestled within the mammoth roots of a mallorn tree, situated near a modest fountain where the waters cascaded clear and pleasant.

Delighted with the proximity to the ground, the hobbits had no worries of sliding into slumber. And even though the rim of the sun could still be spied upon the horizon, the hobbits were wrapped secure within their blankets, fast asleep, for they had yet to shake off completely the rigours of their journey as easily as their other companions. Only the top of their heads could be gleaned; four differing shades altogether, russet, brown, raven-black and flaxen.

Merry and Pippin were both snoring lightly while Sam, even in sleep, was positioned next to Frodo, as close as he could be without crowding the latter's space and air.

Boromir and Gimli exchanged terse looks and both did as Aragorn asked, sitting down in one accord, looking sheepish and awkward now that their evanescent mutual rage had passed.

After a while, Boromir muttered with obvious difficulty, "I am not myself, I am...I am sorry, Gimli."

Gimli shrugged his hefty shoulders but he accepted Boromir's apology with a curt nod. He knew the haughty nature of the man by now and how it had cost him to admit his fault.

"We should know better than to war amongst ourselves." Aragorn rebuked with some sharpness. Then he relented. "Gandalf's loss still weighs greatly upon our hearts. The hour is late, we are all of us tired in body and weary in spirit. Get some sleep, Boromir, and you as well Gimli."

Boromir nodded reluctantly while Gimli grunted his assent. As both prepared to retire to their respective resting niches, Aragorn turned to the last member of their Company to say gently, "I know Elves are of a hardier disposition than either Men or Dwarves but you should rest awhile, Legolas. No mischief would befall so long as we sojourn under the haven of Lord Celeborn and his Lady...Legolas?"

The one Aragorn was addressing was sitting a little away from the others, near the fountain, and his eyes were pensive and withdrawn as he stared unseeing at the landscape that was laid before his line of sight.

The view before him was astounding in its dazzling glory. The sky was painted thickly with swirls of rich reds and crimsons, melded with fiery oranges, streaked with blue, as the sun descended gradually beyond the brim of the cessation of Middle-Earth. The leaves of the huge trees around them glowed a glossy dark jade-green in the coming darkness with dancing silver sparks profusely illuminating within the crowns.

Rivendell was bewitching grace and elegance personified in alabaster and wood and so did Lórien had its own brand of beauty, with its widespread territories of imposing woodlands. Yet, Rivendell was considered relatively new-made in history while Lórien had endured since the beginning of this world and it had become an arcane secret unto itself.

However, Legolas was not dwelling about the intrinsic nature of the place he was in. Sitting quietly by himself, he seemed as isolated as a distant star, drawing his solitariness, not from arrogance or sense of detached superiority but which stemmed from deep reflection.

As Aragorn said his name again, he blinked once and animation returned to his inert features.

"Ah, I am sorry, Aragorn. I did not mean to disregard you." he said.

The Ranger could not resist a small jest at that, his eyes lightening with unusual mirth. "Your thoughts must have been sober indeed if you didn't catch my words. For did you not once say that Elven ears, and yours especially, were as sharp as a hunting cat?"

"Sharper." Legolas clarified, grinning.

"His thoughts are far from here because perhaps he is remembering that little Elf maid we saw earlier." Gimli leered good-naturedly as he overheard their conversation, his eyes nearly closing shut to slits as he smirked widely. "I think she has a glad eye for our Mr Elf." He guffawed with immense amusement, his chest rumbling deep with the force of his laughter.

"It is not she, the maiden Vardalhugien, that fills my thoughts." Legolas answered calmly but with a faint trace of resigned irritation. "And I would thank you not to address me as...Mr Elf."

Gimli ignored the second part of the sentence to pounce. "Oho, so you admit then that you were thinking of someone. Another Elf maid? Whatever this wood lacks, it certainly has plenty of those here. Too pale and tall for my relish, give me a Dwarven lass with a lusty boso...," he coughed here before continuing, "lusty singing voice any day. Still I expect pale, skinny and tall suits your tastes, eh? Mr Elf?" He winked affably.

Legolas sighed silently. He had been called worse things but he could not think of any at this moment. He was not sure really which he preferred, the initially sullen Dwarf companion, suspicious of the Elf's every move and thus reticent in conversation, or this current Gimli, unexpectedly chatty and garrulous as a babbling brook. Partly, he suspected this new-found amicability and lack of wariness rose from being within the confines of Lothlórien, its calming influence affecting all who came under its protection and also because Gimli had impulsively and grudgingly half fallen in love with the Lady Galadriel.

"So, if not here, someone in your own homeland of Mirkwood who has tickled your fancy?" Dwarves, if nothing else, were famed for their tenacity of disposition. "Or perhaps even in Rivendell itself?"

An infinitesimal grimace crossed Legolas's features at the mention of Imladris. Though he did not regard Gimli with as much antagonism as he had during the beginning of their association and as it was, he had developed a reluctant admiration for the other's fighting prowess and bravery shown since their journey together. All the same, he was not on such friendly terms with the Dwarf yet that he could disclose what was nearest and dearest to his heart.

Seeing an opportunity to play Gimli's own words back, Legolas schooled an expression of solemnity. "The Lady Galadriel is tall, lissom and very fair, like the first snowfall of winter." he murmured with an air of innocent nonchalance. It was well known by now, amidst themselves, the force of Gimli's feelings.

At the mention of Galadriel, Gimli turned red, or at least whatever skin that could be seen underneath his barrage of facial hair seemed to blush a rosy crimson, then he blanched chalky with irate discomfiture.

He opened his mouth as if to speak, then he shut it, only to open it again. On his fourth try, articulation became possible and he spoke slowly but with no faltering.

"Before its destruction, I had chance to journey forth from Erebor to Moria a long time awhile when my beard was unbraided still and there, beneath the innermost caverns of Khazad-dûm, I saw a stream of true silver coursing through a vein within a rock, giving light where there was none. Mithril it was, in its purest untouched form, and I thought then I would never lay eyes on anything as wondrous fair and perfect as that lustrous rivulet. But I know now that I have thought wrongly for I have gazed upon the Lady of Golden Wood. And though her beauty is great, her gallantry and graciousness of nature is far greater yet."

They were straightforward, gruff words of esteem and reverence and all who heard Gimli speak fell quiet when he finished. Uncomfortable with baring his soul so openly in front of others, Gimli glowered challengingly, daring anyone to object to his regard for the Elven Lady.

A smile broke through Aragorn's normally grave mien, making him seemed almost as youthful in appearance as Legolas and no less princely. It was not a smile of derision, but which came from agreement. Legolas nodded as well, regretting that he had baited the Dwarf for he knew how hard it was to love another so intensely and absolutely, especially one that was far beyond and seemingly unreachable.

Boromir merely bowed his head slightly, tawny golden hair falling across his cheekbones, as if in deep contemplation.

"You love wisely which is more than others have done and I honour you for it." Aragorn only said.

Perceiving that no one had any intentions to disparage him, Gimli recovered his good humour in an instant, covering his momentary awkwardness with his usual quicksilver brashness of character.

"And to those who do not love wisely, they have only your scorn to bear?" Boromir said with suddenness, his head inclined so that shadows obscured his features as he rested his hands upon his bent knees. His voice held an odd uneven note, of which hostility and bitterness can be discerned. "Is that your meaning, Ranger?"

Legolas darted a fierce glance at Boromir, irked at the implied insult and denial of his friend's rightful status, but it was Aragorn himself who took no offence.

"You have mistaken my intentions Boromir." he explained with quiet assurance.

"Have I?" Still Boromir would not look full upon Aragorn's face and his posture was rigidly fixed while his hands were clenched tight into fists. However, no one seemed to have noticed this small, insignificant display of barely controlled tension.

No one except for the Elf whose sight was piercing, even in dusky twilight. And he wondered about it briefly for Aragorn was his steadfast comrade of many years and he did not wish harm to befall him. And well he thought he knew of Boromir's resentment towards the only surviving scion of Isildur, thinking that Aragorn schemed to take the place of his father, the old Steward of Gondor, while nothing could be further from the truth. Aragorn had no inclination whatsoever to reclaim his inheritance by violent force.

Before Aragorn could answer, Boromir cut in with a short abrasive laugh that contained no amusement and said, with something very close to a sneer upon that rough-hewn, handsome face of his: "I supposed it was very wise to have acquired the affections of the legendary Evenstar. I hear she is very beautiful...even for an Elf."

Legolas half sprang to his feet at that, his face heated with swift anger but Aragorn held up a hand, halting him as he had previously done so at the Council in Rivendell. Then he spoke.

"Say what you wish of me, Boromir, I do not care. But speak thus of Arwen in front of me another time and you will find that I am not as forbearing as Gimli here." Aragorn said, expressionlessly enough, but the grim deadness of his tone carried a far greater sense of actual menace than loudly expressed anger ever could.

Boromir raised his eyes finally and the two men locked gazes for a moment that turned into a small forever. In the end, it was the former whose cheeks flushed red with anger or maybe it was shame and he remained silent.

A strange thing happened next. Although he did not apologise to Aragorn for his words as he did for Gimli, Boromir's arm rose and with brittle hesitancy reached out, fingers stretched open in a beseeching manner almost, as if it would hurt unbearably to touch but unable to control the impulse, towards Aragorn.

Aragorn's features were carefully inscrutable...then he deliberately turned his head away in another direction, and this time it was he who refused to look upon Boromir.

The hand faltered and slowly fell in a defeated gesture to the side once more, fingers clenched back into a fist again.

So it was, in the aftermath of this irrelevant occurrence and yet had the disconcerting perception lingering behind that an event of significance had come and gone in the paperthin breath of a whisper, that Legolas glimpsed something which astonished and stunned him in parts. Revelation, unwanted but bestowed nevertheless, descended upon him like dry lightning on a cloudless night.

For when Aragorn had looked away from him, an expression of resentment crossed over Boromir's face as he watched the other man but within the fractures of his antagonism, there were also hues of self-loathing and distinct unhappiness carved and imprinted with cruel lucidity. However, those responses would not have been so startling by themselves alone, had not desire, painful in its vehement rawness to behold, also been reflected unmistakably there on his countenance.

Desire. Of all things Legolas would have expected to stumble onto, that was the last and furthest.

The notion that Boromir would harbour feelings of love was less comprehensible to Legolas who was better equipped to comprehend antipathy in Boromir towards Aragorn. But it had been laid bare before his eyes, which he was sure had not deceived him, with acute simplicity, such defenceless and powerful yearning resonating from Boromir.

Meanwhile, Boromir had realised that Legolas's gaze was intent upon him and instantly he regained immediate self-control over the confliction he had unthinkingly betrayed, his face smoothing over with the effortlessness of long practice.

But not before Legolas had perceived the sudden hot flare of humiliation which flickered in his eyes and the accompanying panic of having one's intimate secrets exposed.

Standing up abruptly, Boromir strode out of their shelter without a word, into the forest that surrounded them and his form was soon lost as the trees hid him from view.

Legolas stood up as well, thinking of going after the man though knowing pretended ignorance would be best but his sympathy and perturbation outweighed prudence. He felt something very akin to compassion and to his own surprise, even concern, for Boromir.

His worry stemmed from his understanding that Aragorn would never consciously deceive the Lady Arwen. Not ever. The Ranger's own persistent anxiety of taint that came from inheriting Isildur's blood had made him believed more strongly than any others, of the need to prove worthy and capable of loyal duty and vigilant faithfulness. Not only to himself, not only in oaths and fealties to his friends, but in matters of the heart as well.

Not knowing what he would say or do if he caught up with Boromir but feeling he had to do something, he took a step forward before Gimli's voice stopped him and the Dwarf spoke quietly so that Aragorn would not hear.

"He hates because he loves, and he hates more since he cannot have," was what he said, "leave him be."

So, Gimli knew of Boromir's feelings as well. Legolas was less surprised at this new discovery because perhaps the Dwarf's own hopeless infatuation for Galadriel had given him insight into Boromir's heart. However, unlike Boromir, the Dwarf was happier as he felt no despair in honouring that same love he had for someone he could never possess wholly.

"If the hate grows? I can sense it festering within. What if he does not have the strength to expunge it from his soul and it devours him in the end?" Legolas wanted to know.

"It is not for us to interfere." Gimli shrugged, his eyes beneath his thick eyebrows, at once wise, sad and uncompromising. "Leave him be," he repeated and Legolas heeded his advice, grieved for Boromir but aware that Gimli had been honest.

Around them, night came on as the burning sky faded to black and the forest glowed soft silver and dreamlike. The hobbits slept on, undisturbed.

Sitting down, Legolas closed his eyes but did not sleep and thought long of Elrond Half-Elven.

The end

~~~

verity@pacific.net.sg

Title: Darkness Descending
Author: Dûncristiel
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Rating: PG
Category: Drama / Angst
Summary: The Company tarries in Lothlórien and Legolas finds out the depth of Boromir's true feelings for Aragorn.
Disclaimer: Hobbits, elves, dwarfs, mortal men and other sundry Middle-Earth inhabitants and concepts belong to Mr. J.R.R Tolkien and affiliates. I do not write for profit, only gratuitous self-gratification.
Author's Note: Based on movie canon. This story arose while I was recovering from a bad bout of flu and it was actually part of a much longer Legolas/Elrond tale I was writing. But Lady L kindly attached a picture of Sean Bean in 'Caravaggio' to me and I was sunk, he looked gorgeous there and I thought he suffered beautifully in LOTR so, here you are, a short Boromir angst story. I hope it goes down well because I'm really more of an E/L shipper-girl...gulp
Feedback or comments is encouraged with some trepidation but mostly appreciated ^_^

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]