Go to notes and disclaimers

Worship
by Destina Fortunato


F rom childhood I have been taught that all Men must choose something to which they offer allegiance, something in which to believe. A swift sword and strength of will is not enough, my teachers said; a man must have something at his core to which he can remain true in the darkest times, when no one will stand steadfast beside him.

Our enemy now besets us. The blood of Men has purchased the freedom of these lands, but our strength alone will not be enough to carry us. Darkness assails our borders and spreads throughout the lands of Middle-earth, and so I have had cause to consider my allegiances.

I have no use for the mystical beliefs so beloved by the people of Gondor. I cannot tolerate the absurd notion that we are ruled by the invisible. These unseen forces command obedience to rules of conduct, the design of which none of us may be party to. More than this, they enslave free will.

It has always seemed to me that if a man must have these things, he may have them in abundance; all he must do is anoint a King, who will serve him better and more cheaply than any mystical power. It is a suitable solution, and one without compromise to fleeting whims.

Beyond the province of mystics there is little else to choose from. Some have taken to the idea of prophecy, but prophets are often venerated as though they fell shining from the sky, full of wisdom and without flaw. Too often it would seem that those who want to believe overlook what they cannot reconcile and instead seek out the smallest kernels of truth.

But I will serve you up this truth, and you may be assured of it: prophets deceive. They bend their talents toward the prevailing politics of the day and speak of things that will certainly come to pass—but only because weak minds will believe it to be so and bring events into being. This I have seen, and this I cannot abide.

All that remains are the legends among Men. Their fame is carried forth in poem and song. Blank faces gleam out from atop statues of polished stone, strong and ever silent. Legends they became because they have gone on from this kingdom, and once they have passed from this world, all deeds are magnified. The mystery of it, to my mind, is how smaller deeds are forgotten. Poets sing of heroes, or of the horrific, but only the most noble or ignoble moments are memorialized.

The ugly underbelly of the hero is concealed. No one remembers if he has crawled, or if there is mud on his tongue from the boots of his conquerors. No one wonders about the span of time that passed between a hero's hours in the mud and the moment where he stood straight again. Evil is spoken of in whispers to frighten small children, and the faces of the statues gleam bright, untarnished.

Evil is not always so alarming. I know this because I have seen its form, and yet I did not sense its presence. It has manifested in a small golden trinket, a Ring that could compel a curious loyalty—if I were a man in need of something upon which to rely. Such an insignificant, harmless guise for something I am told could rule my thoughts and desires. There is fathomless hatred inside this Ring, waiting for the folly and weakness of Men to release it once again.

The presence of this Ring has caused me to recall the arrogance of my youth, a time when I quickly came to believe that I would need no source of hope outside myself. I would not bow to any force I could not see. I would need no prophet to wag his silver tongue and bring me my destiny complete. Legends may come and go, and be replaced with others, but their deeds did not inspire me. I thought I would not find any alternative in this world.

Thus it was inevitable that I should learn how wrong I was. Within the space of days, it was shown to me that what we believe can be uprooted, turned upon its head and thrown, leaving us shaking and changed, and no longer alone. For there are things we cannot see, things no sword can defend against and no armor can protect us from.

When I speak of the deeds of Men, I have spoken of those things that linger on in memory. The times in which we find ourselves are somewhat desperate. Others have sought solace and consolation in the things to which they cleave, but I have had only my sword. It has carried me through battles hard-fought and hard-won, and battles from which there was only retreat. I have relied upon my brothers, those who carry the same banners and know passion for the same causes as I, and have not found them wanting.

Still, there has been something lacking. I know all too well that the heart becomes empty after a time, its emotion spent and replaced by dull duty. Honor compels the death of all desire, and a soldier then may only exist, but he does not live. I have looked to the leaders who show us the way and have found myself among them, beating back the minions from Mordor and the evil from the East, pushing them away from the gates of Gondor. It was not my intention to lead, but to do what was right to preserve these lands; I am not a man who will find his visage on a statue one day.

But there is one who will, and he will rule my kingdom well. It is possible for a man to be the prism of his kingdom, for his heart to be the beacon of its people. Aragorn will be that King; I know it now.

The need to believe in something outside one's own sphere, to love and to follow, to give unquestioning devotion to another, is a need I had never considered. In my youth I could not give it voice, or concede to myself that I disliked the options more than the idea of such loyalty. I considered this need a weakness, something lacking inside the core of a man who seeks to pledge himself to another.

This adventure I have begun has led me to another path. Legends are made flesh; prophecy comes to roost in blood, and so it is with this man. I said I would not follow him, for I was scornful and made stubborn with pride. I would not be made to stand beside him, lest I find he had gone in front and left me behind.

Now I will follow him to any land, and I would command all others to fall behind him, if the commands were mine to give. For I see so much of what I could not know before.

There is a place for every man, if only he can find it. The place I sought was revealed to me in dreams, a lilting poem that haunted me, intangible. The wisdom of Elves gave me to understand that my destiny was to be twined with that of the heir to my kingdom's throne. I fought against it, and him; I gave over my pledge for the greater good, but my mind's eye was on the distant borders of my home.

It is a place I was resolved to go alone. Now I am resolved that we will go together.

Here in the winter lands of Lorien there has been rest and peace for all of us. I have given much thought to what has grown in the empty spaces of my heart. I have a greed for things I desire - peace and security for Gondor; an end to the wars that plague all our peoples; and the touch of a king.

This last, the strangest of all desires, has been the one thing easily attained. It did not begin with a thunderous crash, but instead the softest of glances, and words with meanings easily mistaken if one did not listen closely enough. I had not thought to lose control of this fire quite so easily, but it rages like an untamed animal, licking and scorching at the corners of my heart, where there is room for it to burn.

His eyes have a language of their own, quite apart from the strange Elvish or the rough language of our ancestors. He speaks eloquently, with an authority I cannot disobey. His hands know this language, and he has taught me the rudimentary elements of it. I know enough of it now to speak without words, to return touch for touch, and look for look, the joy he gives me.

So many places for that touch to wander, and when we are at last alone, with all stripped away, he has shown me a talent few possess. He touches my skin, and my heart, and we become one. His hands never leave me; they are tender, so much so that they tear my skin and leave behind wounds, wounds filled with the blood of wanting.

Too soon we will leave here, and this will be at an end. I know well that such bliss does not last. It cannot survive the demands that will come, for he is, after all, a King, and his place is not by my side. It is instead my place to walk behind, in the circle of his company but always apart. I will follow. I have long known it, but could not reveal it to any. I have not said it will be so, but he knows.

And so my questions are answered, and the words of my teachers made real. For each man, there must be something to which he offers allegiance, something sacred, something true. I have said there are things against which no armor can protect us, things no sword may defend against, and here is proof; I am captured and controlled by a touch, a word, a thought. Inside this small space we inhabit there is fathomless joy, waiting to be released by the courage and strength of a King.

I have no use for mystics or prophets, or for trinkets of gold, but beneath the curve of fingers against my skin, I have learned the purity of worship.

~~~

destina@ix.netcom.com

January 2002
Title: Worship
Author: Destina Fortunato
Rating: PG
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Spoiler warning: none to note
Summary: Every man needs something to believe in.
Notes: This vignette is really a character study. I wrote it as an exercise, to help me find the "voice" of Boromir for a longer story. Many thanks to Cara Loup for her insightful suggestions.
Archive: FellowShip and lxf archives only
Feedback: is always appreciated—destina@ix.netcom.com

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]