Go to notes and disclaimers


Heir of Gondor

by Dayast Joy


Part Two
Picnic preparations

Aragorn awoke to the patter of tiny feet.

Prince Boragorn's nurse discreetly closed the door as she exited the room, smiling to herself at the morning scene of the king happily and snugly wrapped in the arms of his lover, Gondor's greatest Lord, Boromir son of the last ruling Steward, Denethor. Eryn had been enraptured by Boromir's beauty ever since he came of age, as all women in her generation were.

Well, at least his love was worthy of him, odd choice that he was.

She had been greeted with this tender scene for the past two weeks, during the king's holiday at Emyn Arnen, the Steward's seat.

The three-year-old prince toddled determinedly up to the large bed, and then launched himself manfully onto the bed clothes and scrambled up so he could kiss his mother's now royal nose.

"Goo morning fah-da," Borrie said, pleased at his own feat of athleticism which he had perfected over the last two weeks.

"Good morning, Borrie," Aragorn said, returning the kiss.

"Good, not goo," corrected a freshly awakened Boromir. He pulled the blanket up to cover himself and Aragorn up to their necks with subconscious modesty.

"Gooddd morning Boh-mir," Borrie said obediently. He kissed his champion too, and the man smiled back at his little son, amused.

"Swim today, fah-da said," Borrie said, his command of the language still fairly poor. The elves were often shocked at Borrie's ungainly gait and his poor speech, but Elrond constantly assured them that it was normal for baby humans. Aragorn's councillors assured him that the prince was the most beautiful and brilliant and brave child in the world, barring the young glorious King Elessar himself of course (this regardless of the fact that none had known him during his childhood), but Aragorn knew they were prejudiced.

He was comforted by Elrond's observations but rather wished they wouldn't be so frequently accompanied by accounts of his own childhood, when apparently he was clumsy, often confused and rarely coherent. But he had been very cute, Elrond recalled fondly, and the brightest of all the line.

Aragorn hoped this was a compliment.

Boromir seemed happy enough that Borrie liked playing with his toy swords and shields, running about, shouting in a war-like fashion at play and riding the larger dogs of Minas Tirith. The little prince had his own horse from one of his biggest fans, King Éomer of Rohan, but he couldn't ride it unsupervised until he was much older.

Talk and letters could be developed later (in Boromir's mind these were less important skills than manliness and martial prowess) although he was always careful to make sure that his son formed his words correctly, so he didn't sound like the peasant village idiot or a poncey elf. (The last opinion he kept to himself, he knew how fond Aragorn was of Haldir).

"Swim? You just had your bath yesterday," Boromir asked his son.

"Bath in tub, swim in river. Today. Fah-da said," Borrie smiled impishly. He couldn't form proper sentences yet, but he was certainly determined to get his own way.

"I did promise him. And since we are on holiday, we can spare a day for a picnic. I don't want to sit in council today if I can help it," Aragorn said. He snuggled closer to Boromir pre-empting any protest. He too was often determined to get his own way.

"Mmm," Boromir said. He had had other ideas on how to spend the morning, but he'd better allow himself to be bullied a little now so Aragorn would be most grateful come nightfall.

"Alright. You have a lie in and I'll go prepare for our outing," Boromir said. "Come along, Borrie."

"Yay!" crowed the happy child.

~~~

Aragorn strode out into the morning sun with Legolas and two of the elf lord's warriors at his side. The Lord of Ithilien was on holiday too. The elves could keep watch while they picnicked, although there had not been any dark things in the area for years, thanks to Faramir's vigilant rule and Aragorn's fierce protection.

The small party gaped at the twenty mounted knights of Gondor and thirty sturdy foot soldiers who greeted them at the courtyard.

"All hail the king!" bellowed the captain.

A thunderous salute of: "Hail! Hail!" almost drove Aragorn and the elves back inside.

Aragorn dipped his head graciously at the salute and waved regally.

Boromir appeared from somewhere among the throng of steel and men, bearing Prince Boragorn, who was clad in boots, sturdy leather hose, a long-sleeved inner tunic, a half sleeve woollen outer tunic, a small leather breastplate, tiny arm guards, and a cloak with a protective hood emblazoned with the arms of Gondor.

"Is there a war on I didn't know about?" Aragorn asked, baffled.

"Well, aren't we venturing outdoors? With your son and heir?" Boromir asked. "As his champion and your most loyal servant I thought to take the proper precautions."

The elves were trying hard not to giggle. It did seem more like a march to battle than a morning picnic by the river.

"I thought you were just going to ask the kitchen to pack sandwiches," Aragorn said.

"Ah yes, bring forth the pack horses for the king's approval," Boromir commanded.

Three fully loaded pack horses were led forward, laden with meats, sweets, bottles of wine and mead, fruit, plates, eating knives wrapped in linen and two rolls of fine fur for picnic mats.

"The men have their own supplies for the day," Boromir explained, seeing Aragorn's eyes bug. Were the day's supplies too modest? Aragorn was now king after all.

"Should I get more food and perhaps ask for some serving wenches to accompany us?" Boromir asked.

"We aren't going to a picnic with a band of hobbits! How are we to eat all this food?" Aragorn cried.

"And all these men, surely it is overkill," he continued, vexed. All he wanted was a quiet picnic with Boromir, his son and some friends.

"They are only a fraction of your usual escort. What if we were to be attacked? And everyone was slain? And you were left all alone and helpless with poor Borrie?" Boromir asked. Obviously this was one of his favourite nightmares; never mind that he was the one who had been felled by Uruk arrows, not Aragorn.

"We have three elves, one of whom is Legolas, with us. And helpless? Boromir, I am the same man I was during the war, I have neither grown slovenly nor slow nor old," Aragorn said, bristling.

Boromir, who tended to look at Aragorn more with tender protectiveness than brotherly respect since the birth of Borrie, realised his mistake. "Uh, I meant Borrie might be helpless...,"

"I'm not helpless! I'm a Man of Gondor! I can fight orcs! I'll protect the king!" said Borrie manfully.

Aragorn smiled fondly at his three-year-old son. These sentences he learned like some elf children learned the lines of classic songs, which was why he pronounced them so well. Boromir had clearly been teaching him about his traditional duties as Prince, and made him repeat these lines until he had them committed to memory; as no doubt a whole line of little Stewards to be and little princes had done before him.

After a few more exchanged words, and soothing reassurances from Aragorn (he had learned that batting his eyes and smiling could achieve wonders in persuading Boromir to relent, much better than any shouting or bullying could) it was decided that the party would go picnicking with one pack horse (no serving wenches), five knights and ten foot soldiers. And Borrie could take off his cloak as he was turning red from the heat.

~~~

"Your Majesty!"

Aragorn looked up at the startled cry as he pulled off his leggings for a swim. Boromir was thundering towards him from a small distance away where he had been chatting with a knight. He was severely agitated!

Aragorn quickly looked around, senses alert. No orcs...what then?

Boromir threw his cloak around Aragorn.

"Boromir, I'm about to swim," Aragorn protested. Honestly, all these Gondorian conventions and rules about modesty were seriously outmoded.

Boromir gasped in horror when Borrie trotted up to them, stark raving naked. A nude Legolas was folding the prince's clothes neatly into a pile on the ground.

"The prince! He is not decent...and he will catch cold exposed thus to the elements!" Boromir broke into a sweat, torn between protecting his king's modesty and that of their little son.

"Calm down, Boromir! It is a very hot day, and I'm sure the men could not care less to see a naked man and boy-child having a swim, especially as I don't have any suspicious stretch marks," Aragorn chuckled, adding the last in a low whisper.

"But you are the king!" Boromir protested.

"I am a man, Boromir, not some virgin maid with swelling breasts. And soon I'll be in the water and so will Borrie. No harm will come to us, I spent much of my time in Rivendell naked," Aragorn explained.

Boromir's eyes narrowed. He'd always thought there was a pervy air around Lord Elrond, and now his suspicions were confirmed.

Suddenly another thought occurred to him.

"Why mention swelling breasts?" he asked, hurt.

Aragorn froze. Arwen's marriage to Erestor had motivated him to bring Boromir back to Gondor from the death realm, but his lover sometimes felt that he had come in a poor second. Especially when Aragorn even vaguely hinted at his appreciation for a woman's bosom.

"Most virgin maids have small breasts or none at all," Boromir said huffily. He had read many racy books with detailed pictures at puberty, and been hounded by eager young maids intent on deflowering him during his handsome youth.

Aragorn opened his mouth to speak, but Boromir wasn't finished.

"Why not a snowy, beautiful bottom or fair, shiny locks?" he continued in the same indignant vein. Both of these assets Boromir himself possessed and was secretly proud of, although his masculine identity did not allow him to openly express pride in such quintessentially feminine attributes.

"Boromir, it was just what popped into my mind. It was a thoughtless, careless comment," Aragorn explained.

"How often do full breasted maids pop into your mind? And do they have dark hair like the night?" Boromir queried. He really was feeling rather vulnerable out in the open with his king and their precious son, both of whom insisted on being naked without a decent sized escort. And he really wished that he hadn't gotten up so quickly to start preparations for the outing, his sex could have done with some early morning attention. He was in a rather foul mood.

Legolas cleared his throat.

"I have a leaf to keep the sun out of Borrie's eyes," the elf said, smiling kindly at poor speechless Aragorn.

He carried Borrie and pressed the dry leaf over his head, it fit perfectly behind his ears and over his fluffy blonde hair, although not so perfectly as it would have fit around a small elf head.

At the sight of his worried looking little son Boromir became abashed. He had to remind himself children were always listening, even if they stayed quiet when adults argued. He instantly beamed.

"I was just teasing your father, Borrie," he said gently. The prince smiled winningly back, he hadn't understood most of the conversation, although he hadn't liked the tone. He was much happier that his champion seemed to have recovered his usual good spirits.

Boromir felt a pang of fierce joy and protectiveness when he saw his own smile on that small trusting face with Aragorn's eyes. He felt very badly for being so fussy now, after all, his king had given him such a truly marvellous gift and had gone through great pains for it. He would have to tell him about how he felt tonight, though not in front of their men and sharp eared elves!

He retrieved his cloak, heart in his eyes as he locked glances with Aragorn, and then extended his hand courteously towards the river so they could go for a swim.

Aragorn kissed him briefly on the cheek as he took Borrie from Legolas.

~~~

"Some meat, Legolas?" Boromir asked, offering him a well laden dish.

Legolas lifted a skewer of meat and nodded in thanks.

The blonde man sat heavily beside Legolas, still in his thick leather outer tunic and summer cloak. It struck the elf as odd that Boromir was always decorous and well groomed; he almost never exposed his nudity in public, although from their infrequent baths during the quest, Legolas remembered that Boromir was an exquisitely well made man.

Boromir stoically and politely ignored the elf lord's nakedness, staring out into the distance as they spoke, seated side by side. It was more comfortable that way. Talking face to face for long moments hinted at intimacy among fighting men, and Legolas knew Aragorn, for all his confidence and quiet, was a very jealous man.

"You have a letter from Ori?" Boromir asked, smiling. "I always recognise the red crayon."

"Ori likes to show off, Haldir says he gets it from Father and Father says he gets it from Haldir," Legolas said with a laugh. The usually stern and quiet elf always became animated when talking about his little half brother.

"How quickly elven children grow in their skills. Borrie won't be writing for some years yet," Boromir said. He smiled with undisguised fondness at his son, who was paddling enthusiastically and almost blinding Argaorn with mighty splashes in the nearby river.

"Father will teach him his weapons soon, and Haldir will teach him his letters and lore and history," Legolas said quietly. "Or maybe Elrond will teach him. He taught me when I was little and visited Rivendell."

The elf sighed suddenly with so much sadness that Boromir started.

"What is the matter, Legolas?" Boromir asked.

"I have been trying for so long, for a child," the elf admitted.

"I thought it would be easy, being bigender. All father ever had to do was set his mind to it and it was done within weeks, similarly for Elrond and his former wife," Legolas said. At the mention of her, Boromir noted that Legolas's voice hardened noticeably.

"Was it hard for you and Aragorn?" he asked.

Boromir's brow furrowed in thought.

From the very first after their return journey from the death realm, Aragorn had insisted Boromir take pleasure in his new opening. The Lord of Gondor had assumed then that Aragorn had always possessed it; perhaps it was some aberration of the physical make-up of the royal line, so it seemed natural that his king would have urges of that nature needing fulfilment. He only learned after Borrie was born that Aragorn was eager to have a child to silence the pro-marriage lobby among his councillors. Gondor needed an heir and Aragorn being Aragorn, he had just gone ahead and done it effectively and discreetly.

"To be honest, it seemed in no time at all, less than two seasons after our return from the death realm that Borrie was on his way, and me totally bewildered, and scared and protective and delighted all at once," Boromir said with one of his infectious grins.

"But Legolas, Elrond already has children. I'm sure he would rather you be happy instead of fretting over a matter such as this," Boromir said kindly.

"And being immortal, it is not as if you need heirs," the Lord of Gondor added.

"It is true that Elrond has children, but they are hers," Legolas said bitterly. Aragorn had told Boromir enough so that the man knew that Elrond's and Celebrian's union had been a contractual one to produce royal offspring, future leaders for their people after the first great war's dark times, and that she preferred elf women. But they had been very fond of each other and very close right up until she left for Valinor. Moreover, much later, Elrond had not consented to bind himself to Legolas until Haldir's intervention during the post-ring quest months spent preparing for the latter's union with Thranduil.

Boromir thought about his own jealousy towards Arwen, and how much Borrie had done to alleviate that nagging feeling of insecurity and he sympathised greatly with Legolas.

Legolas chewed silently on the skewered meat chunks.

"I do not think he loves you any less for it, Legolas. And who knows, perhaps with time..." Boromir tried to comfort his friend.

"Thank you, Boromir, for your kindness," Legolas said with one of his rare warm smiles, reserved only for close friends; but it was tinged slightly with sadness. "I knew you would understand."

Boromir smiled in return, but he worried for Legolas's new union. Here was the Lord of Ithilien on holiday and Lord Elrond far away in the Wood of Greenleaves with Haldir and Thranduil and their son, Legolas's little half brother, Orophin, or Ori for short. The child had been named in memory of Haldir's youngest brother who had perished courageously but tragically at Helm's Deep.

He knew little of elven unions, but had had the pleasure of visiting with Thranduil and Haldir shortly after Ori's arrival, during the early months of Aragorn's then secret pregnancy. The elf lords' mutual affection was very apparent, as was their passion, sometimes to the point that Boromir with all his Gondorian hang-ups thought it was embarrassingly obvious.

Legolas and Elrond were warm, but not remarkably tender towards each other, which was odd, considering that their union was still so young. Perhaps it had to do with Legolas's romantic inexperience, or Elrond's restraint cultivated from lifetimes of ruling in difficult times, but things did not seem quite right with them.

Boromir decided he must ask Aragorn to write to Elrond and ask him to visit, and he might as well ask Haldir along as well (if Thranduil could be pried off him long enough). The elf was snooty and annoying, but he was indispensable when it came to sorting out romantic relationships. His skills as a diplomat were unparalleled, as was his knowledge of all gossip.

Boromir had been brought up to rule, so he was perhaps more sensitive to the personal politics of great lords than Aragorn.

Both friends sat in silence for a while after that, watching Aragorn and his miraculous heir play in the river, their laughter carrying across the green fields bathed in sunlight.

End

~~~

dayast_joy@yahoo.com

Title: Heir of Gondor Part 2: Picnic preparations
Author: Dayast_joy
Pairing: Aragorn and Boromir, mentions of Thranduil/Haldir and Elrond/Legolas
Part:2 of a series I hope!
Rating: G
Archive: yes, just drop me an e-mail, thanks! dayast_joy@yahoo.com
Feedback: Yes, but please be gentle, I know this is not everyone's cup of tea and its not canon, but please be kind&151;and laugh :)
Setting: The lovers have different views on what makes a picnic
Warning: MPREG! And the prince is called Boragorn, not Eldarion

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]