Go to notes and disclaimers


Embracing Sons of Gondor

by Dayast Joy


Part One

Legolas entered the room quietly, his delicate face pinched by despair.

He was as beautiful as he was the day he started on the Ring Quest, as bright and as nimble. He knew Queen Arwen was too, her long reign and many children having taken nothing from her fair countenance and lithe form.

But time is ever a robber of Man, and Legolas winced in concern, hearing the painful, strained breathing of the man lying immobilised on the bed.

Aragorn had been gloriously handsome in his youth, and the hawk like features had aged well. But they were even craggier now, the well made limbs shrunken with age, and the curly dark hair that had so softened the sharp, masculine angles of his face was now less abundant and coloured an almost fragile looking grey.

Legolas could smell the gangrene, and he knew from the awkward angle of the King's leg that the broken bone was not healing. Even if Elrond had been here, there was little the great healer could have done.

Aragorn was old and he was dying.

His mind was still fully with him, but Legolas suspected even a heart as mighty as Aragorn's was hoping for some much deserved rest and ease after a lifetime of hard struggle holding and healing lands so ravished by the war.

Aragorn had always said he would like to choose death before he fell insensible from his throne, but Arwen's pleading and her timeless beauty always made him reconsider. Then the riding accident, which had struck a terrible blow to both the great king's pride and body. A blow from which he might not recover.

"Legolas, do not cry over me. I am not dead yet," Aragorn said. The force was still there, but the voice was a shadow of the one that had commanded armies and ruled so well for so long.

"Nor will you be soon, I am sure," Legolas tried to be optimistic.

"My leg is rotting off me, Legolas. The stink is profound," Aragorn snapped.

Legolas's face expressed all his sorrow at the recognition of the truth. He looked down to hide his grief and pain—he had never been a man of fine words.

"Forgive me for my harshness, my friend. It is just that I am so very tired," Aragorn said softly.

Legolas moved to sit down in the chair by the bed, occupying a seat that Arwen had only recently vacated. The stench of the rot was terrible indeed to his elven senses, but he was a warrior, and better able to bear it than the queen.

He grasped Aragorn's hand in his own, and bought it to his lips.

The two sat quietly for a while.

"She loves him doesn't she?" Aragorn asked abruptly.

Legolas started.

Aragorn chuckled grimly. "She is not ready for death, Legolas. I may be old but I am not blind. I have not been a husband to her in years, and her new suitor is beautiful, my friend. So handsome and brave and noble, he is almost as great as his son."

Here the old king squeezed Legolas's hand.

"I never had the right to ask her for the next life, I have been blessed enough with this one with her by my side," Aragorn said, his voice tinged with quiet pleasure and joy, and only just a hint of regret.

"I am sorry, Aragorn, but my father never intended for such passion to grow, and I am sure that Arwen would not turn from you now, no matter how great the temptation," Legolas said.

"Love chooses us, Legolas, we do not choose who to love. You would know, would you not, you and your Elf Friend," Aragorn smiled warmly at the elf, who flushed with pleasure still at the thought of Gimli.

"Take your good friend over the sea to Valinor, Legolas, and take her with you when I die," Aragorn said.

"But," Legolas started to object.

"I know we promised in the first bloom of our love that she would follow me into death, that we might be united in the afterlife of Men. But it is the after world of men. An elf never had a real place there, and she has kin here, a life here, a lover here," Aragorn said.

"My father would not be so dishonourable, or so bold. They are not lovers, Aragorn," Legolas said emphatically.

"But they should be. It would hurt me deeply, Legolas, if she followed me into death out of duty and a desire to keep the promise of our fevered youthful years together. We are not in love that way anymore, and you must make sure to care for her when I am gone. Let me give her the gift that she needs Legolas, even if she feels she may not want it now. Let me give her the freedom to return to her people; for all the years we have loved each other," Aragorn said, some of the old force and fire back in his eyes and age enfeebled voice.

"She will not leave you now," Legolas said, his eyes beginning to fill, even as in his heart he knew the truth of Aragorn's words.

"She will if I ask her. She will return to her people for me," Aragorn replied to the unasked question. "Promise me, Legolas. Promise me you will not let her fade into death after me. I would sooner die on an Uruk Hai sword than to know I have robbed her of her happiness."

Legolas nodded, kissing the hand he still grasped. "I promise you this, Aragorn."

~~~

"I have failed him," Arwen said, her voice steady despite the tears streaming down her face.

"I love him still, but I could never lie to him, he has such wisdom. Each day that passes I long for my kin, for the peace of the trees, for the whisper of the forests, for arms that are not his. Oh, Legolas, does this make me evil?" Arwen asked.

"No," Legolas said quietly. He did not know what else to say. The grief in his heart was heavy, but a part of him sang with joy knowing that his father, Thranduil, who had mourned the death of his mother for centuries, would know happiness again.

"He has many friends waiting for him beyond death, Arwen. And he will be happy hunting orcs, drinking ale, smoking, hunting and laughing, without the burden of fate and empire on his shoulders," Legolas said.

"Are you so sure the after life of men exists?" Arwen asked.

"I must believe it, or my tears would flood this place to think that Aragorn might die—forever," Legolas replied, his voice thick with unhappy emotion.

"At least, he believes in it, and this gives him comfort," Legolas continued, then fell silent.

"How many more days, Legolas?" Arwen asked, the sobs coming at last.

"Soon," Legolas said, and wrapped his arms around her.

~~~

The bold dwarf, older and gruffer with age, patted the golden hair of his love tenderly as they sat side by side on the foot of the royal tomb.

Aragorn's death had brought so much grief to the land, and Gimli had wept his heart out without shame at the elaborate funeral for the exalted and much loved king.

When all the mourners had retired to their homes, and the elves prepared to leave Middle Earth, Legolas and Gimli crept unseen to the magnificent tomb to perform a secret task.

Legolas dug the shallow hole next to the large and ostentatious tomb—these days the dainty elven limbs were surer than Gimli's though it was something they never spoke of.

The dwarf lord pulled the precious package from its wrappings of fine velvet.

Aragorn had entrusted it to his dear comrade from the Fellowship on the eve of his wedding. He would have liked to keep the items with him always, but the sight of them in peacetime—when so many dreams of love could at last come true—was like a knife through his noble, burdened heart. And it would have hurt her too, his beloved wife, his sweet Arwen.

They had belonged to Boromir, who had fallen before he could see Gondor restored to glory in Aragorn's reign.

The king had worn the leather arm guards throughout the Ring Quest and in the bloody battles that finally secured his throne and victory. He could not bear to burn them, nor could he bear to keep them, so he asked the lovers to return the arm guards to him when he passed into death and the next world.

"I wonder if he knew she would not be following him into death? Even then?" Legolas mused softly, as Gimli reverently laid the arm guards in the shallow hole by the tomb.

The dwarf paused, silent for a while. He ran a gentle finger across the old leather. He remembered that big, strong, noble born Boromir always had a kind word and a strong arm for the little ones, that it was Boromir who had laid a gentle hand of comfort on his shoulder when he wept at Balin's tomb.

And it had been the Man of Gondor who had held the ringbearer safe as Gandalf fell, and wrenched Aragorn back to his senses with his quick and wise actions that the Fellowship might flee with speed. It was also Boromir who had stoically refused to let him back into Moria to seek vengeance.

Gimli also remembered witnessing the kiss between future king and Steward's son, which he had seen from afar by accident while walking through Lórien, his own heart heavy with love and longing for Legolas. Then, his sweet elf had seemed so beyond even dreams.

It had taken all of Aragorn's virtue to say no, and all of Boromir's courage and nobility of spirit to accept his refusal without forcing the issue.

The Steward's son had truly loved his king, and Aragorn never forgave himself for arriving just moments too late to save Gondor's most loyal son.

"I think he knew, even then," Gimli said sadly. "I hope for his sake that Boromir is waiting for him, on the other side."

Legolas shovelled earth onto the arm guards, and then laid leaves on the small earth mound. It seemed small and insignificant next to the majesty of the tomb, but Legolas felt that Aragorn would have loved this personal, humble expression of loss and love more than the pompous funeral ceremony.

"I have no words, Gimli," Legolas said, plopping gracefully down at the foot of the tomb. "I never learned them, Elrond and Aragorn were always so much better at ceremonies and councils and occasions."

The elf started to weep.

He had played ëorc raid' with fat little Estel, he remembered it like it was yesterday, running through the halls of Rivendell with Isildur's heir clinging to his braids and squealing with childish delight.

He remembered teaching a young pimply faced Aragorn to shoot a meal from the sky with his bow while on horseback.

He recalled, through his tears, with chagrin and mirth, the ferocious earful he got from Elrond when he tried to help a young Aragorn dye his hair blonde in an attempt to better please Arwen. Thankfully for both man and elf, the project had been unsuccessful.

And the battles, the nights under the open sky, the hunts—the quest. And the laughter—creeping from the towers at night with an Aragorn swathed in women's clothes so the king could take a quick holiday from his duties. That had happened more than once, the Ranger in Aragorn had loathed the endless stream of petitioners, adorers and warring lords who besieged him night and day.

"I cannot bear it, Gimli. Elves are immortal, how can we bear death? We have not the heart to bear such a terrible burden," Legolas sobbed.

Gimli eased old bones down next to Legolas and patted his hair as he wept, not knowing the correct words either.

The night wind blew across the pair, and it seemed that the night wept as well for all that they had lost with Aragorn's passing.

Gimli's fingers curled around a braid, one he had helped plait just that morning as they lay together in bed, and he knew in his heart, Legolas also wept for the dark shadow that hung over their love.

Galadriel's magic was great, but Gimli son of Gloin was ultimately only a mortal dwarf—and it was fast becoming autumn in the seasons of their passion. One day soon, by elven reckoning, Legolas would be crying at the foot of his tomb.

Gimli shivered in the still of the night, and a tear crept down his cheek, not because he feared death, but because he would rather face down a thousand Uruk Hai than have Legolas suffer the pain of losing him.

Who then would comfort his beautiful elf?

The windswept night had no answer, and wept quietly.

~~~

Part Two

dayast_joy@yahoo.com

Title: Embracing Sons of Gondor
Author: Dayast_joy
Pairing: Boromir/Aragorn, mention of Gimli/Legolas
Setting: A lifetime after the movie, King Elassar lies on his deathbed Warnings: A bit sad to start with, but I promise it has a happy ending

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]