Go to notes and disclaimers

River Gift
Marked with Gold Part I
by Carla Jane


"We will send him to the falls of Rauros and give him to Anduin. The river of Gondor will take care at least that no evil creature dishonours his bones."

###

Many a gift had passed through her length and down the falls over the forever time that she had lived within the waters. Some had been worth catching within her long silver fingers, but most she let flow by and out to the great water. Bodies were not a new thing to Anduin. There had been beautiful forms and evil forms. Some had been intact, others were decayed beyond recognition. Mostly she ignored the corpses, but not this time.

Perhaps it was the echoes of the wind on the waves, echoes of a long familiar horn-blast, one that she had not heard in some time. Perhaps it was the overpowering taste of grief in the water, a heavier, more personal grief than most battles normally provoked. It might even have been the taint of shrouded evil that swept over the area, prickling at Anduin's normal disinterest in the world. Whatever the reason, her attention was roused and when the small boat glided down her staircase, Anduin chose to watch as the craft travelled with the current.

She only impeded its voyage a bit. There could be no harm in dragging at the tiny boat a little, in whirling it through an eddy or two to give herself more time to look the craft over. Anduin slowed it, but she didn't stop its progress. In fact, the strangely buoyant vessel had very nearly passed out of her reach before she decided to catch the offering. Even then it took more effort than she had expected to pull the boat under her calm surface.

The handsome blond human that lay cradled within the magical wood was not the source of evil that Anduin had sensed in the world, but the miasma of that evil had brushed him. Fortunately, a love-inspired blessing that had been bestowed on the man's brow and her own cleansing waters had preserved the blond's soul.

Gathering the cold body of the warrior to her even colder breast, Anduin stroked the blessing on his pale forehead. It was a powerful piece of magic. Something about the mark sent a shivering wave through Anduin. She couldn't resist smoothing her finger over the charm, toying with it. A bit of power fed into the blessing caused a delightful sensation to ripple through her. Smiling, Anduin decided that this one was special, a precious jewel worth saving for another time.

The elemental being wrapped her newest treasure in strands of raw magic, paying special attention to the point on his forehead that sent tickles through her being whenever she brushed it. Anduin cocooned the man against time and the wear her substance inflicted on everything touched by the flow of her watery essence. She then tucked the tidy bundle away in one of her many bowers. Such a man might be useful, but there was no hurry about reviving him. Anduin had all the time in the world to decide what use she would put this man of Gondor to.

###

At times the mantle of leadership lay too heavily on a man who had spent the first part of his life travelling the forests and byways of Middle-Earth. The man, now known as King Elessar, needed at times to slip away from family, hearth and throne to remind himself who he had once been. Elessar's steward, Faramir, and the Queen knew enough to cover for the King's absence. Both were secure in the knowledge that Elessar would return to them before long in a much calmer state of mind thanks to the break.

Perched on the bank of the river Anduin, clad in simple ranger gear, Elessar could be Aragorn once again. His gaze swept across the water, turning upriver. It seemed whenever he had the time to spare lately the Anduin invariably drew him near. Something about the great river called to him, focused him and right now Aragorn's thoughts were a dark storm dearly in need of focus. One exceedingly troublesome, rather personal, problem burdened him, as well a few minor concerns for the kingdom he ruled. Over the last while he'd grown short-tempered and difficult to live with. His wife had practically tossed his ranger garb at him, suggesting he not return until he was in better spirits for the sake of her, their daughter and all of Gondor. Arwen was in the early months of another pregnancy and had no patience for her husband's mood swings while her own were so unstable.

So little in the world was still dangerous. Wilderness remained, of course, but few were the pockets of life-threatening evil. The situation was to the benefit of all the folk of Middle-Earth but Aragorn couldn't keep himself from feeling a guilty craving for something wild, dangerous, and unexpected. He felt an irresistible need to test himself right now. To fight, bleed and triumph over something. Lately he had grown impossibly restless, almost twitchy, and his perspective was sorely in need of a challenge. Perhaps a complete upset of life might be one way to put things straight.

###

The man lingered nearby for quite some time before Anduin recognized him. This was the King who had helped bring peace and calm to the land after a time of great darkness. This was a man who had earned her gratitude. He had helped to end the pollution of orc bodies and filth spilling into Anduin's pristine waters. A whim seized hold of the entity that was the river. She would give this man a token of her gratitude. Many were the possibilities. Anduin had bits and pieces of everything, from trinkets of gold to bright fruit produced an age ago up near her headwaters, stored in various bowers up and down her length.

The man waded into the flowing water to scoop up a drink in the palm of his hand. The taste of this king's essence roused a memory that Anduin had laid aside some time ago. Inspiration struck, bringing with it the recollection of bright sensation tickling through her entire being. She had something stored in one of her magical caches that bore this man's mark and Anduin decided to return it.

###

A violent bubbling in the water near the centre of the river was the first warning for Aragorn that some strangeness was occurring. He immediately retreated to the bank and set his hand up his sword hilt. A waterspout that glittered with all the colours of a rainbow erupted near the centre of the river, then the Anduin settled down to a steady flow once again. The only sign of the odd disruption was a wash of shimmering foam. The anomaly moved toward Aragorn, breaking apart like a soap bubble as it touched the rocks of the shore.

A huddle of black, burgundy and gold stretched out into the form of a man as the foam fractured. Coughs wracked the long body and limbs flailed in the shallow water. Heavy clothing and armour were weighing the man down.

Confident that such a distressed figure was no real threat, Aragorn splashed back into the shallows to help the man stand. Aragorn seized a handful of sopping wet silk and an overpowering feeling of familiarity hit him full force. Seeing his own fingers bunched in crimson and gold-flecked material caused a memory to crackle through Aragorn like a bolt of skyfire. It was a recollection charged with raw emotion, a memory that had grown, impossibly enough, more vivid when it should have been dimmed by time and distance. Only one man Aragorn had ever met had worn a tunic of such a particular material as this. Desperately he dragged the figure upright, needing to see this man's face.

The water had darkened golden hair to almost black but there was no mistaking this man's face. Time had not eroded Aragorn's memory at all; in fact it was quite the opposite. This face had begun to invade Aragorn's dreams on a too regular basis lately. "Boromir?" Unable to control his own reaction, Aragorn released the other and flinched away.

Still partially insensible after his long cocooning, Boromir collapsed back down into the shallows. A weak whimper rumbled up from him. One hand clawed mindless at his own chest as if searching out the orc arrows that had pierced him long years ago. He sputtered against swallowing even more cold water. The entire world had turned upside down. He felt as if he'd been sleeping for days and couldn't quite wake himself up, but that couldn't be for only moments ago his sword had been slashing open orcs.

Realizing the extent of the other man's helplessness, Aragorn surged forward yet again. "By the Valar, Boromir..." He caught the dripping wet man in his arms, drawing the lean body against him. "Boromir." The name was voiced in a disbelieving whisper. Aragorn stared at the face so close to his own. It was Boromir, it had to be. The face was everything that Aragorn remembered, everything that haunted him and more. The only difference was a small mark of dark gold on Boromir's furrowed brow and the fact that the blond was drenched and shivering. Shivering had been part of Aragorn's dreams, even water had been a feature in more than one tormenting fantasy but the misery on Boromir's face at the situation was not. Recalled to the here and now, Aragorn moved. Mostly dragging the other man, Aragorn managed to get them out of the Anduin. Water streamed away from their bodies as they made their way up onto the lush growth of the riverbank. As soon as he was released, Boromir staggered and fell to the earth.

"What?" Boromir floundered, his hand grasping at the front of his tunic. Confusion marked his expression. "Why are you still here? You should track the orcs. The little ones need you more than I do." Raising his hand, his oddly stained forehead creased as Boromir watched clear water rather than blood dripping from his extended fingers. His face lifted, eyes wide. "Why was I in the river? Did you send the others after the orcs? I don't understand. What's happened?" There was a disturbing quality to the stare Aragorn had turned on him. There was a weight to it that made Boromir's skin burn.

Dropping down to his knees beside the other man, Aragorn caught at the fabric covering Boromir's chest and tugged at the memorably patterned cloth. The rents where the orc arrows had pierced Boromir's tunic remained but upon pushing his fingers through the holes Aragorn felt unblemished skin.

"What? WHAT?" Panic had invaded Boromir's voice. "What has happened?" Recoiling violently away from Aragorn's touch, Boromir caught at the small rips and tore his shirt the rest of the way open. His breath hitched. "I should be dead." The admission was tinged with horror.

"You were," Aragorn conceded in an even grittier whisper. "You died, years ago."

A long, stunned silence delayed Boromir's next question. "Years? What are you talking about?" Pale eyes darted. "Where are we? What has happened?"

"It's over, Boromir. The war is over."

"Gondor? The Fellowship? The ring!" His attempt to rise was hopeless. Boromir's legs refused to support him. "Mercy! We failed. I ruined everything. You aren't in Minas Tirith. I doomed everything." Being dead must have been a mercy he didn't deserve for this crime. It had to be justice that had brought him back to face the results of his inadequacy. Boromir had known since he was a child that his weakness would be his own ruin if he was unable to master it, but to learn that he had doomed the entire world as well was more than he could bear.

"Hush. That is not what happened." Aragorn wrapped his fingers around the other's wrists, holding him still. "We won. Frodo did it, Boromir. The ring was destroyed. Gondor stands. The White city remains. I took the throne. The halflings are safely back in the Shire." The assurances rushed out. Aragorn couldn't bear to see that kind of despair on Boromir's face. "It's long over. Years over. Sauron is gone. Peace is ours."

"Merry and Pippin?"

"Yes, all the halflings survived. They're all safely home."

A shuddering sigh of incomparable relief hissed out. "I feel as if I've awakened from a long, strange dream." Boromir fell back to the soft turf. His breathing was still ragged and uneven. "But what happened, my Lord? What has happened to me?"

"I do not know." Aragorn's head shook, hiding his eyes behind uneven bangs. "We were not mistaken, I swear it. We placed you in one of the boats, Legolas, Gimli and I. We all laid hands on you. I am certain that no breath passed your lips." The declaration oddly vehement. "You were cold, so very cold, and pale." Aragorn bent, putting his face mere inches from Boromir's. "We gave you to Anduin." Aragorn's lips almost brushed the other man's. "Now it has returned you, returned you to me." Unconsciously, Aragorn still held Boromir's wrists and as he leaned forward Aragorn's weight pinned the other to the ground. "You have not changed, not a hair, save this one small thing." A crease formed between Aragorn's eyebrows. Shifting higher, Aragorn touched his lips to the stain of gold on Boromir's forehead. The reaction was immediate and exceptionally violent. Boromir writhed underneath him, arching up into Aragorn and screaming as if his soul was being wrenched out of him.

Aragorn's mouth burned, his entire body burned. He was aroused beyond belief at feel of Boromir's passionate response to the passing touch. When Aragorn finally lifted away from the erotic, grinding contact Boromir collapsed, panting. Boromir's eyes were squeezed tightly shut, tears leaking from the corners. The blond went limp, almost sobbing.

"It's so much more than I remember. You feel it too, don't you? Have you always, like I have? I can barely believe this. That you come back to me now seems a gift of the ancients. I have been having such dreams of you since we were parted, Boromir. Extraordinary, devastating dreams."

Boromir shivered ferociously, his face turning away. "Release me, Aragorn." Weakened muscles attempted to bunch.

"You are wet, cold. Though not so cold as when we were parted." Aragorn lowered even further, covering Boromir's body with his own. The need to be as close as possible to Boromir was impossible to resist. This was strange beyond belief. Aragorn had indulged in a few casual fantasies when he had first met Boromir but they had been impossible to act on given the circumstances. At times, when the loneliness of the trail and his ache for distant Arwen's arms had dragged at him Aragorn had considered seducing Boromir. It had tempted Aragorn along their trek and then again in Lothlórien o' so long ago but it wasn't to be. Each time Aragorn had begun to move someone was there to make him reconsider his rash decision. Gandalf's disapproving frown was just as clear as Galadriel's voice in his mind saying 'The warrior is not for you, King of Gondor'. The passing fantasy had faded with Boromir's death and Aragorn's following change in circumstances.

The winning of the war, his coronation and his wedding to his beloved Arwen had seemed to overpower his attraction to Boromir. The haunting dreams had come only after things settled into a routine. Erotic, invariably frustrating, images of himself and Boromir that always skirted the edges of fulfilment had gradually invaded his sleep until Aragorn grew accustomed to waking up urgently in need of Arwen and the relief her touch could bring. That the body Aragorn desperately wanted had miraculously been returned to him was a sign. It was a sign that those vivid dreams would now come true and that his fantasies could now be fulfilled.

"Boromir, fair Boromir." Aragorn's lips brushed the other's soft beard. "I have sorely regretted that I never did this..." Stretching to compensate for Boromir's averted face, Aragorn captured the other's mouth with his own. A protesting noise vibrated Boromir's throat and he tossed his head but Aragorn refused to stop. He continued to press the kiss, nearly chewing in his eagerness. Too many times in the dark of his dreams Aragorn had experienced the promise of Boromir's body against his own, only to have it torn away as soon as his excitement grew. That would not happen this time. This time was too real, it would shatter him to lose this chance.

When a gasp for air parted their mouths, Boromir managed to give voice to his distress. "NO! Lady Arwen. The Evenstar. You are promised to her." That had to matter to Aragorn, even through the haze that had enveloped him.

As expected, Aragorn's questing mouth pulled back so he could stare down at his captive. "My lady, my Queen. She is not something for you to speak on, Boromir," he countered quietly.

Boromir shuddered at the words 'my Queen'. "But SHE IS! For you and I both." Boromir tested again, attempting to push the other off. "I need to see my home. I need to return to Gondor. Release me. I have much to discover about what has occurred."

"We are in Gondor," Aragorn clarified. A deep breath was drawn in and held. His dark eyes were glazed with arousal. "I will take you home. I will, but not yet." He continued to keep the full measure of his weight on the other. "Thoughts of you have been tormenting me, Boromir. I didn't understand it. It has very nearly driven me insane, that I could feel such hunger for a man beyond my reach. You were with me every night only to vanish like morning mist whenever I neared satisfaction. I despaired, but I was unable to stop the images, dreams of your body straining against mine. It's unreasonable to expect me to resist you, not now I finally have you in my arms." A tip and grind of Aragorn's hips caused Boromir to gasp in obvious arousal. "I refuse to allow you to disappear on me yet again." Aragorn's erratic breathing tickled over skin. "You can not say this scandalizes you. Your brother knew. He told me one night over wine." Faramir's confession had been yet another factor in increasing the intensity of Aragorn's impossible fantasies. "You lay with men, Boromir, not women. Faramir knew. He told me." Teeth grazed Boromir's exposed throat. "I need you!"

A thick, clearly eager, groan was the first response to the contact, but it was immediately followed by a desperate shove. "DO NOT! I CANNOT DO THIS! Not like this. Not now." Boromir's voice cracked on nearly every other word. "Show mercy! I beg of you. By the Evenstar. Do not do this!"

"Be you real or illusory, you are ever the tormenter!" The accusation was overflowing with frustration. All the air gusted out of Aragorn. He pushed up and off, landing on his back beside Boromir. Aragorn's trembling arms lifted to cover his face and eyes, as if the king were attempting to hide from the heavens. Aragorn's frame quaked, threatening to curl in upon itself. Both of them were shaking and short of breath. The silence between them stretched, holding even as the sun dried their clothing.

"I need to return to my..." a pause broke the statement, changing it. "...to Minas Tirith," Boromir corrected himself in a hoarse whisper. "I would like to see my father and brother."

Aragorn sat up cautiously, turning his face toward the other without meeting Boromir's eyes. "In that, I am sorry. Your father is gone. Faramir is the Steward of Gondor now."

"No." Boromir's breath hitched and he bolted upright. His head shook. "This is insufferable. How much time has passed? I need to know." For a split second his hand twitched as if he might seize Aragorn, but the motion failed.

Cautiously their gazes met. "Eight years, give or take a little time." Aragorn's own hand lifted when he saw the hurt that the announcement put on Boromir's face, but he stopped himself before actually touching Boromir. "I am sorry."

"Eight years?" Boromir repeated in a shocked whisper. He fingered tatters of his tunic, picking at the spots where the arrow holes were. "Eight years?" Boromir slid his hands up and over his face, and then into his hair. The palms protectively shielded his forehead. It throbbed, that one spot, still burning from the passing touch of Aragorn's mouth. "My father? What happened?" Boromir was envisioning the powerful man he had seen standing on the ramparts as he departed on his quest.

"It was before the end of the war. You were gone. Faramir's condition was grave, as was the situation." Aragorn licked his lips, almost devouring Boromir with his eyes.

"But Faramir remains?" The muffled question was underscored with misery.

"He is Gondor's Steward, my right hand. He is a married man and a father of three already. You've two nephews and a niece. He wed Éowyn of Rohan."

Curving in on himself as if to protect himself from a gut blow, Boromir let out a weak chuckle and his fingers tightened in his blond hair, purposefully pulling at the strands to provide a measure of calming pain. Boromir's face remained hidden behind his wrists.

Unable to resist, Aragorn shifted so he could lay his hand on the other man's shoulder. Their faces drew near to each other once again. "Boromir." Aragorn's voice was husky.

The enticing flavour of the softly spoken name made Boromir hiss and lean toward the sound. He wished he could allow himself to indulge. He had wanted to from the first moment his gaze had locked with Aragorn's back in Rivendell, but it wasn't to be. Boromir had long ago resigned himself to being different from most men in his desires but he was comforted by pride in his uncompromising self-control. He had never pressed his attentions on any man who had not been obviously welcoming of the contact and Boromir had never, ever, laid hands on a man until he had investigated first and was absolutely certain that the man was not already claimed by another. Boromir had learned of Aragorn's commitment to Elrond's daughter with only a casual inquiry. Aragorn's affections belonged to someone else. Aragorn was forbidden. Night after night in Rivendell, and later on the trail, Boromir had recited those words inside his head. Boromir had to slice into the skin of his hip or thigh more than once to reinforce the lesson to himself.

"Please." Aragorn's breath misted across a whiskered cheek. He took hold of Boromir's forearms one at a time and tugged, exposing Boromir's stricken, confused expression. "I have tasted your lips hundreds of times in my mind, tasted every part of your body, swallowed your pleasure. I have pressed my lips to, run my tongue over, every bit of your fair skin night after night in my dreams. I have felt you quake underneath me and above me. I have entered your warm flesh and felt as if my heart would explode from the pleasure of it. I have spread my legs for you and screamed with joy at the union." Aragorn groaned, a sound that rattled up from deep in his chest. "I have felt all of that, only to have you escape me, again and again, sometimes at the very moment before completion. You have left me aching times beyond counting. Oh Boromir! I want you, need you. Please. Please!" His words branded the other man's skin. "You have come back to me, FOR ME. This has to be why you were returned to me."

Aragorn's scent was making Boromir's head spin. It felt as if he had been breathing nothing else for time uncountable. There was nothing that could be more familiar to him than the musk invading his senses at this very moment. "I honestly wish I could say yes, my Lord." Boromir panted, breathing through his mouth, practically tasting Aragorn with each gasp.

"Then say yes." Aragorn cupped one whiskered cheek. His hand moved with a will of it's own, slipping upward.

Aragorn's thumb settled on the bridge of Boromir's nose between green eyes gone wide with something near terror. As Aragorn's thumb edged higher Boromir's trembling increased until it appeared as if he would fly apart. Only the thinnest sliver of contact with the smear of gold on Boromir's forehead was enough to make the blond convulse, thrusting his body wantonly against Aragorn's. Boromir's hands dug into the front of Aragorn's shirt with the power of a great eagle's talons. Teeth bared, Boromir's mouth tipped, opening in invitation.

When Aragorn lunged to take the kiss however, Boromir scrambled backward. "But we cannot!"

"WHY?" The word was screamed out, laced with the sound of excruciating pain. "Cruel torturer!" It was just as Aragorn had suspected all along. It was all another trick. He'd fallen asleep in the forest and this was yet another of his frustratingly erotic dreams, it had to be. The real, flesh and blood Boromir could never be so merciless. By all that was sacred he wished this were just another dream.

"Please, take me home. I beg of you, my brother, my captain, my king. Take me home, and then ask me again once we are within the walls you share with your Lady. Once there, I will attempt to answer you, but please, do not push me any further right now for my body aches, it screams to disregard everything my mind tells it, and if I were to act on what I feel right now, it would be the ruin of us both for I could never live with myself afterward or look you in the eye ever again."

It was Aragorn's turn to throw himself backward, shaking with denied desires and emotions. "Home?" The request was completely wrong. His dream lover had never asked for such a thing before. In the past these fantasies had always existed entirely outside of Arwen, their extended family, and Aragorn's responsibilities as King Elessar. This unforeseen alteration in the pattern was terrifying.

"Home," Boromir repeated, staring at Aragorn with impossibly darkened eyes. "Please."

Biting his bottom lip, Aragorn rose unsteadily to his feet. "Then come with me, beautiful, cruel, sensible Boromir." His fists were clenched. "Let us tell the tower guard that the Lords of Gondor have finally returned together."

If there was any mercy in the world, Aragorn hoped he would awake chilled and alone in the wilderness before they set foot in the White tower.

###

Continued in Marked with Gold II: Into the White Tower

jimcarla@hotmail.com

River gift
Marked with gold, part one
By Carla Jane
Rating: a light NC-17 or a heavy PG-13 due to heavy overtones of male/male sex
Date: February 2002
Disclaimers: Tolkien, Jackson and various artists own these characters.
Thank you to Richel and Tigerlily for their clever, o' so welcome advice.
This is likely 'movieverse' based since I've changed what happens in the appendix of the books. I have, however, used some details the book provides... but then again... PJ told the actors to read the books for background. Shrug.
Summary: Aragorn has been having some rather vivid dreams. The Anduin returns a gift.
Kisses on the forehead can mean so very much when given in a moment of strong emotion.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]