Go to notes and disclaimers

The King's Thief

by BlueKat


Chapter One

That was it then," the darkhaired man said, a trace of wonder in his voice. "It's done."

The soft steps of another came closer, a tall figure joining him at the window, looking out over the White City.

"No. There is still one more issue you need to attend to. One more detail before you can claim the throne." There was a pause before the fairhaired elf continued. "The son."

Bluegreen eyes wandered until they found a young man in the other corner of the room. When the man felt the darker man's eyes on him, he quickly looked away.

"Not that one, that one will cause you no trouble. Denethor had another son. Older, and stronger in many ways, than his brother."

Intrigued by the news, Aragorn turned to his companion. "So there is another one? Then where is he?"

He grew more puzzled at the elf's smile. "You will not find Boromir in the city of Gondor. He has long since renounced his father and his bonds to the city."

"Then he surely would not cause trouble when he receives news of this?" Aragorn inquired, turning back to the window. "Even the remaining son succumbed easily enough."

"True, but the younger one didn't have his father's respect. He was merely seen as a replacement, which in turn made him bitter. He does not want to succeed his father as Steward, the quest for revenge and honour is not for him."

"But it might be for the other one?" Aragorn smiled. "Do not worry. I shall see that he is taken care of."

The blond elf smiled back. "Do not be too hasty, my friend. Come, let us find more private rooms to discuss this is. You see, one does not simply set out to talk to this man..."

"Indeed?" A dark eyebrow rose. "I suspect you know more of this than you let on, Haldir. Do share the knowledge with me."

"As you wish."

They were walking in the garden now, surrounded by tall trees providing shadow on the warm day. Haldir turned his eyes to the sky before continuing his tale.

"Do not expect another conniving, proud Denethor, or meek, sensible Faramir, Aragorn. This man is of a completely different sort, and probably much more dangerous... He left Gondor years ago, taking up with a pack of travelling thieves. With his charm and cleverness he easily overtook the leader, and made them set up camp in the great forests outside Gondor."

Recognition dawned in the other's eyes. "I have heard talk of this, men coming out of the shadows and disappearing just as quickly. Many a royal carrier has lost its goods that way. Are you saying that it is the Steward's rightful son that is responsible?" A small smile played over Aragorn's face. "You are right, Haldir, my friend. I surely will need to see this man. As soon as matters are sorted out here, we will ride into the forest. Be ready at the first fall of dark."

Turning away, he missed the easy smile on the elf's face. "Of course," Haldir softly replied.

###

"The forest seems quiet enough," Aragorn commented. "Perhaps we should travel further in? I..." He did not get to finish the sentence as two figures appeared out of seemingly nothingness.

"You do not find them," Haldir's quiet voice reached him in the sudden silence. "They find you."

The taller of the figures held a steady arrow aimed at them. "What is your business here, strangers?"

Dismounting his horse, Aragorn tried to get a better glimpse of the man's hooded face. "I've come to speak to your leader. It is a matter of great importance, concerning his father."

"There is nothing Denethor of Gondor can do that will be of interest to his son," the man evenly replied.

"Not even dying?" Aragorn gently asked. "There have been many changes in the White City and great is my desire to speak to Boromir, Denethor's son."

As of now the other man had kept his silence. He was shorter than his companion, slender built with a catlike grace to his movements.

"That is a name he doesn't care to go by," he stated. "So the old man is dead, then?"

"So he is," Aragorn nodded. "Will you take me to see his son? There are matters to discuss, and I am eager to speak with him."

The man pulled the hood away from his face, revealing blond hair and a set of bright, green eyes.

"Then speak, my friend." Those light eyes studied him with an amused look. "The one you are seeking is standing right in front of you."

Measuring the blond man, Aragorn placed one hand on his sword.

"Will you walk with me? What I have to say is for your ears only."

The larger man quickly stepped forward. "He will not be going anywhere unless I follow."

Boromir who had been measuring Aragorn as well, stopped him. "Stay here, my friend. He will not risk the life of his companion here." He smiled up at Haldir who to Aragorn's surprise smiled back. But Boromir's next words surprised him even more.

"You still prefer the company of men, Haldir?"

Smiling, the elf shook his head. "No, only you, Boromir." Reaching out, he touched a lock of fair hair. "I will see you later on. Now go and speak with Aragorn."

At the sound of the name, Boromir's eyes immediately found Aragorn's, but he didn't say anything. Quietly he followed the darker man in amongst the trees, creating some distance between them and the two others.

Boromir was the first to speak. "Did you kill my father?"

His words made Aragorn halt. "No. No, I didn't. Your father died by his own hand. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I care not what happens to him..." The younger man turned away. "And my... brother? Is he safe?"

"Yes. Your brother is a wise man."

Boromir turned back, staring at Aragorn. "To let you take the throne without any fight? Understand this, Aragorn, I do not care about Denethor or his city, but I do care about my brother. If I find that harm has come to him in any way..."

"Have no worries," Aragorn calmed him, nearly mesmerized by the fire in the emerald eyes. "Your brother is no prisoner of mine. He has already agreed upon taking a place in my council."

The other man was thoughtfully studying him. "I would ask you why now, why you have chosen just this hour to claim the White City... But I am more curious as to why you have come seeking me out. Did you fear that I would try and avenge my dead father?"

"Honestly? I was not sure. I have heard things about you, Boromir. But I always prefer seeing for myself, over the words of others. And," he smiled, "there is the fact that you and your men are wanted for theft from the royal delivery carriages."

"Oh that! That was just to annoy my dear, departed father. Although..." Boromir took a step closer. "I'll have to admit, it is actually rather amusing. Maybe I do not wish to give it up?"

"The reign of Gondor will be of a very different kind from now on," Aragorn mildly warned him. "Any theft from the wagons will be duly prosecuted."

He hadn't expected Boromir to laugh. "You think my father turned a blind eye to what I was doing? Oh no. He had every available man rummaging through the woods for me. He never found me though." The last statement was added as an afterthought.

"I am not your father," Aragorn replied. Meeting the other's eyes, he promised: "I will find you. I am nothing like your father."

"That I see." This close Aragorn only had to look down a little to meet Boromir's eyes. Feeling a little out of place, a sudden sensation flooded his mind and sense of reason.

"You seem to know Haldir," he asked before he could stop himself.

Attempting to suppress a smile, Boromir looked to the ground and then up at Aragorn from under long lashes.

"Does that shock you?"

"Maybe," Aragorn had to admit, his hand fighting to keep from moving. It was strange how the pale light of the moon made long locks of blond hair shine like pure gold. "More intrigued than shocked though. In what... way do you know him?"

He got another cheeky smile. "It wouldn't be proper of me to tell. Why don't you ask him?"

"Maybe I will," Aragorn gave a slow smile back. "Maybe I will."

###

"That certainly proved to be a very interesting meeting," Aragorn casually stated. "He is a most... unusual man."

"True," Haldir nodded. "Did you reach an agreement with him then?"

"Sort of." Aragorn's reply was vague. "Listen, my friend, I need to ask you something... From what I could see, there is some history between the young man and you?" He slowed his horse until he was at the side of the elf's horse.

At first he didn't think Haldir would answer, but then he could hear a low, helpless chuckle.

"Yes, we have met before. As you said yourself, he is a most unusual man. But I'll leave you to find out for yourself, Aragorn. But be aware, he will not stop what he is doing just because you rule the White City now. If anything, he will probably see it as a challenge."

"Then he shall meet with the fair repercussions for his actions," Aragorn surely answered. "It is obvious that his father let him away easy. That will change now." But the memory of bright eyes in his mind and another chuckle from the elf made him less sure than he would have liked.

"This is where I leave you." Haldir's voice startled Aragorn out of his thoughts. He paused a little before continuing. "Be careful, Aragorn. Think carefully through this. Boromir's men are fiercely loyal to their leader, if they suspect that you are out to harm him, you may not live to see the turn of the new moon."

A determined look set over Aragorn's face. "I will be careful, Haldir. For now I will leave matters be, let us leave it to Boromir to make the first move."

"A wise choice. Until next time, Aragorn." Then the grey horse turned and Haldir was soon gone in the darkness.

Riding towards the city of Gondor on his own, Aragorn couldn't help but wonder at the exact cause of Haldir's rather hasty departure. The thought of the elf going back into the forest bothered Aragorn a great deal more than he was ready to admit to himself. The young, lost son of Gondor did interest him, greatly so. Seeing the white buildings greet him and the wide gate already being opened as the gate guard had recognized him, Aragorn made a silent promise to himself to find out more about Boromir, son of Denethor.

###

As he had expected Boromir was waiting for him. Haldir easily got off his horse and walked over to the shorter man. Without saying anything he pulled the blond close to him, arms circling a warm, broad chest.

"You made quite an impression on Aragorn," he murmured, reaching up to brush a long lock of hair away from Boromir's face.

"Him? Such a bore... Coming here, acting like the king's messenger and all..."

"Well, he's actually king," Haldir reminded him, smiling over the slight pout.

"I forgot about that." A sly smile was aimed up at the taller elf. "But then again, surely we can find better things to talk about than the stuck-up king of Gondor?" Nimble fingers tangled themselves into Haldir's hair. "Does he know you came back here to me?"

"Who is talking about him now?" Haldir replied, avoiding the issue. Letting his gaze travel from green eyes to a curved mouth, he let his lips capture the smaller man's. He could worry about Aragorn and the city of Gondor tomorrow.

~~~

Chapter two

Sitting alone at the table in the large room, Haldir thoughtfully played with the chalice placed in front of him. The shadows from the windows were creeping over the wooden surface, like fingers reaching for him. He should never have told Aragorn about the lost son of Denethor, it was a mistake that he had grown to regret dearly. And now... now everything had gone wrong. The elf's expression grew darker as he thought back to the day's events.

The change in power had gone over remarkably well in the White City. It seemed that the people of Gondor had enough with their own matters. As long as nothing really changed, they didn't mind the return of the reign of a king. But the fragile peace was soon to be broken.

A wagon pulled up outside of the castle. A tall man stepped out, the sight of his face already made Haldir uneasy. He had just returned from his trip back to Lothlórien, his own city. Walking over to the coachman, he placed his hand on the nervous man's elbow.

"You seem distressed, friend. Did anything go wrong on your journey?"

The man gave a slight bow. "I must see the king right away. Will you escort me to him?"

The shadows had grown longer. Getting to his feet, Haldir moved to the window, to the still figure that was gazing out at the quiet city.

The darker man's eyes were burning silently, the hand that was placed on the window sill held the edge in a white-knuckled grip.

"Anger is not the solution," Haldir gently reminded Aragorn who was keeping his silence. "He is young and foolish... this is merely his way of testing you, to see if you spoke the truth."

"Then let's not disappoint him." Aragorn's voice held the quality of a frozen river, cold and dangerous. "He is mocking me, Haldir. I will not tolerate that."

"Did you honestly expect him to stop?"

He heard the sound of a deep breath coming from Aragorn. "No. But that doesn't change things. Leave me now, my friend, I have a lot on my mind tonight."

"I don't think that is wise."

Now the blue eyes were directed at him. "And why not? Why this interest in this young man, Haldir? He is nothing but a petty thief, yet you want me look away, do nothing..."

"You don't know the whole story. Come sit with me, let us talk about this before jumping to hasty and maybe wrong conclusions."

As soon as Aragorn was seated, Haldir took his original place at the table. There was a slight pause, then he looked at Aragorn, asking: "Tell me, do you know Faramir's age?"

The question surprised Aragorn. "His age? No, I do not. What does his age have to do with matters here anyway?"

"He is eighteen. I know, he looks older, they both do. Boromir is five years older than him. He was younger than Faramir when he ran away from Gondor. I believe he had just turned seventeen when he fought the leader of the men who now follows him."

Aragorn kept an indifferent look on his face. "Why are you telling me this?"

With a shrug of slender, elegant shoulders, Haldir replied: "So that you may understand him, who he is. You saw Denethor for yourself, Aragorn. The man didn't take kindly to those who challenged him, who disobeyed him."

"You seem to know a great deal about this."

"No." Haldir shook his head. "I know Boromir. I have for several years. That is why I ask of you to think this through. You are but a few years older than him, and I do dare to say that you know something about not fitting in..."

The last statement was dangerous, Haldir knew that. But he needed to make the other pause, not rush into anything. Watching the thoughtful look on Aragorn's face, he waited.

The driver had not, as Haldir had expected, simply told the king that another carriage had been forced to stop and plundered by men dressed in black. This time he had been instructed to take a message back to the king as well. Cursing the blond's audacity, he had watched Aragorn's face go from unbelieving to furious.

The other man was clearly nervous, twisting his coat in shaking hands. "I am sorry, my lord, but those were the exact words. He made it clear that the message should be delivered correctly..."

"And so it has been. You are free to go." Aragorn had waved the driver off, having no time to deal with the man.

Becoming lost in his own thoughts, Haldir looked up to find Aragorn looking back at him.

"He told the driver to thank me for not changing the route of the carriers, that my donation was well received. He is challenging me, Haldir, I cannot let the challenge go unanswered."

His temper, very uncharacteristic for an elf, was beginning to flare. Haldir would never understand the humans' readiness for fight, the absolute lack of being able to resist a challenge, no matter how wise it may be.

[Whose temper? Haldir's or Aragorn's? This is a bit confusing.]

"So what will you do, Aragorn? His father spent six years trying to find him out in those woods. You think you can do better?"

He hadn't expected Aragorn to smile.

"Yes, I do. I have something Denethor didn't have. I have you."

~~~

The morning came with glorious sunshine. Aragorn felt utterly at peace with the world around him as he mounted his horse. He was certain that nothing could go wrong. A sideways glance at his quiet companion, made him hesitate for just a little while. He hadn't felt comfortable pushing the elf he considered his friend, but the other one simply didn't understand. Or he didn't want to understand, his judgement clouded by the obvious affection he held for the pretty, blond thief. But, as Aragorn had reminded him, he had other responsibilities not easily laid aside.

The elf respected Elrond nearly as much as he respected Galadriel, the lady of the wood, and now the human king was betrothed to Elrond of Rivendell's daughter. It hadn't caused Aragorn too much strife to convince Haldir of the rightful place of his obligations. But it still made the blue-eyed man feel a stab of guilt when he stole a quick glance at his silent companion. Straightening up, Aragorn pushed the unwelcome feeling away.

They parted without words, merely a look was exchanged between them, then Aragorn turned away. He heard the soft sounds of Haldir's horse moving deeper into the forest, then he set about his own way.

Coming into the forest, he was soon approached by two men, both wearing dark cloaks with hoods.

Measuring them, Aragorn found that none of them were the one he was seeking. "I wish to speak to Boromir, your leader," he stated. "Tell him that the king of Gondor wishes to speak with him."

"I know who you are." The voice came from his side, not from behind the two men as Aragorn had expected. He turned to find Boromir looking back at him, a few steps away.

"I bear no ill intentions. I just want to talk."

"Then talk." Those green eyes seemed to see right through him.

Aragorn dismounted his horse. "Not here. Come walk with me. I'll leave my horse here, with your men. It's a long way back to Gondor on foot."

Boromir seemed to think about it for a while, then he nodded. "Let's go then. I must say, I had never thought that you would show up here today, Aragorn. Sending your men to take my head, yes... but not this."

Aragorn noted with interest that this time Boromir kept his distance. Taking a step towards the smaller man, he had to admit he liked the feeling when the other took a step back. "Your father spent six years trying to find you in these woods," he commented, mimicking Haldir's words. "I figured I'd try to make more of my time."

They had reached a small clearing, not the same one from the other day. Deciding that they were far enough away now, Aragorn stopped. "This will do." Keeping one hand on the hilt of his sword, he turned to face Boromir. "Do you remember what I told you the night of our first meeting?"

"I believe I do." The answer was awaiting, the younger man unsure of Aragorn's seemingly peaceful approach.

Aragorn smiled. "I told you that everything would be different from now on. I will not tolerate theft of royal property and more importantly, I will not tolerate being made fun of by a child." He had a feeling that it was the last statement that caused the frown on Boromir's face.

"And as an insolent child, you need to be punished," he followed up.

Green eyes had grown cold. "I thought you said that you weren't my father?"

The king nodded. "That's true. But it does not always take a father to punish... I think I will do nicely."

Meeting the green eyes and the set of a stubborn jaw, Aragorn took another step closer. "I said that I would find you and I did. I think you are done running away, Boromir of Gondor."

The green gaze wavered, then met Aragorn's again. "And what makes you think that you will be able to walk out of here alive, if you try to take me with you?"

A silence fell between them. "Listen," Aragorn softly said. "Do you hear that? The sound of fighting... none of them are coming to your rescue now."

"I don't need them to come to my rescue." The words were as cold as the eyes now. "I do not like killing, you see and I prefer giving my men that particular pleasure. But..." Boromir's sword was drawn in an instant. "That I do not like it, doesn't mean that I can't."

Drawing his own sword, Aragorn circled the blond. "Aren't you curious as to how my men found your camp? Oh I will tell you anyway. Haldir betrayed you."

"I do not believe you. Why would an elf bother with what humans are doing as long as they stay away from elven grounds?"

"He would bother a lot," the darkhaired man replied, waiting for the other to attack first. "If he held feelings in his heart for the human in question... It seems that you steal more than gold and expensive stones, my friend. But alas, a stolen heart isn't always to be trusted. While you and I were speaking, Haldir led the royal guards to the camp. I know he went back to you after our first meeting... Think me a lot of things, Boromir," Aragorn raised his sword. "But don't think me naive."

Their swords met, the metallic sound ringing out in the forest.

~~~

Approaching the clearing, Haldir felt more tired than he ever felt before. Leading his horse by a gentle hand on the large grey mare's neck, the warmth of the animal felt somewhat soothing. He detested battle, detested having a weapon in his hand. Utterly relieved that it was over, there was still a fear clawing its way through him of what was to come.

"You are late," a smooth voice told him. "Did everything go as planned?"

"Yes." Haldir left the horse and walked forward. The clearing was too silent. Not even the slightest sound of a bird's singing could be heard. With a heavy heart he proceeded.

Aragorn was standing in the middle of the small grass covered area, leaning to his sword. His tunic was dirty and torn in several places, the deep red of blood shining through. His gaze never lifted to meet Haldir's, instead he was watching the still figure on the ground before him.

"He is a good fighter," the king commented. "Strong and feisty."

The elf had to force his eyes lower, until he saw Boromir unconscious, lying in the green grass in front of Aragorn, crimson coloured blood matting the bright gold of his hair.

"Do not look so alarmed, Haldir of Lórien," Aragorn sounded nearly amused. "I did not kill him. And I will even give you the pleasure of handling him. Have my prize brought back to the castle and have him cleaned up. I shall decide what to do with him when I get back."

Kneeling by Boromir's side, Haldir looked up, puzzled. "Where will you be going?"

"I have matters to attend to." With that Aragorn walked, disappearing out of view behind the line of trees.

Sighing, Haldir turned his attention back to the man in front of him. With skilled hands he examined the wound, satisfied to not find it too deep. Methodically he searched for other wounds on the lithe, yet muscular body and was relieved to only find scratches and bruises. Aragorn had never meant to hurt the other, just render him easy to deal with and without the possibility of running away again.

The trip back to Gondor on horse was a swift one. But just before they reached the castle, Aragorn turned up again, ordering the guards to have the young blond brought to his own rooms.

Apparently the man felt Haldir's eyes upon him and gave the elf a broad, and knowing, smile. "He is my prisoner, Haldir. I am to do with him what I please." There was an uncommon chilled quality in those blue eyes, which translated easily into a warning for the elf.

The fair-haired elf bowed his head. "Of course, Aragorn."

~~~

darkhalf@eudoramail.com

Title: The King's Thief (slightly movieverse, AU)
Author: BlueKat
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir, mentions Haldir/Boromir
Rating: let's give it an R for later parts
Dis: not mine, not making money, just doing this for the fun
Feedback: always appreciated
Archive: sure
Notes: this is an alternative universe story and I'm sure everyone behaves wildly out of character. But that's the fun of it, no? :)
Summary: Aragorn claims the throne of Gondor, only to find that the oldest son of Denethor is nothing like anyone he has ever encountered before

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]