Go to notes and disclaimers

Dark Places
by BlueKat


His skin is still warm to touch.

Mother Earth is holding her breath. I have always been surrounded by darkness, by death, what makes this so different?

Why is it that I feel that something has broken inside of me, something that never can be fixed? Despair is clawing its way through my body, this the worst of pains, worse than what I have ever felt before. Tears are flowing endlessly from my eyes, when I touch them they are warm. How can they be warm when everything beneath my skin is ice?

I want to shake him, cling to him, demand that he comes back to me... Yet I know...one does not return from the border he has crossed. It is one we all come up against.

I must look like a mad man to them, cluthing this lifeless body to me, crying and whispering worthless words of comfort. Oh yes, I feel them watching me, quiet and still behind me.

The elf, Legolas, young even in elvish terms...he doesn't understand. My naked, raw pain, my burning anger, it scares him. But the dwarf, Gimli... Whose people dwell in the deep, dark places underneath the earth... He understands. I wonder if he harbours such dark places in his mind as well.

I have walked so long in the shadows that they seem like friends to me now. My mind and my heart holds deep, dark places for them to play in freely. They gather there, growing eyes to stare back at me with, tempting me to come lose myself in the vortex that is my own mind.

Why did you have to die like this?

Why must you leave so soon, my most beloved? I never even had the chance to tell you...

Let me die with you, bring me with you into the darkness of what is waiting for us on the other side. Just take my hand and I will follow you gladly. Don't you leave me here, do you hear me!?

Oh but I know you are slipping away, even now as I cling to you. Gingerly I touch your face, my body wrecked with sobs. Is there no stops to these tears?

I feel like destroying. I wish for thousand more orchs to strike at, to cut down and maul. Touching your lips my fingers come away bloodied.

The sight of the red liquid staining my skin feels like a kick in the gut. I can hear myself scream like a wild animal. Growling like a caged bear, I must be free of this shackles.

I forsake thee, Aragorn, heir of Isildur. I forsake every other name given to me. From now on I will simply be he who walks in eternal darkness, the seeker of revenge.

I shall see no rest before this is avenged. Maybe then my sorrow will be eased. I do not think so though.

This the mightiest of stabs... All I wish is to curl up next to your body, let them bury us together.

Yet... I can not.

"They took the little ones..."

The sorrow in your voice, the fear for them. I know how much they meant to you, how much you held them dear.

Don't feel any fear, my love, they will not suffer harm at the hands of the ones responsible for taking you away from me. I will tear them out of the clutches of Sarumann myself...

Sarumann...

The mere name an atrocity on my lips. The betrayer, the foulest of creatures...

Rest easily, my dearest. I will make him pay. He will know pain as greatly as the one he inflicts on others.

Will I kill him?

Probably. Eventually. After I take everything away from him. After I see him broken, humiliated, crumbled, beaten down... Destroyed.

Your wrist bracers are on my wrists now. Marked with your, our mark of our city. It will be the last they see before my sword ends their life.

The joy in my life is dead now. I am dying slowly on the inside, a black, damp, slick sickness that I welcome.

Come claim me, Death. But leave me the time to make things right first. Then I will come willingly.

I stand, shivering like a lost child. But how can I leave?

Leave this man that is not only in my heart... Who is my heart...

Anger is prowling through me, coating my sight with smoldering fire. It would be so delicious to give in, to kill, maim... To drown myself in the outwards pain... Maybe then the internal pain wouldn't sting as badly.

But I have to keep it together. I am staring gleeful madness in the face, it is beckoning me with long, white fingers. Behind the darkness is waiting, patiently. It knows me a man of my words.

So rest well, my heart.

I will go live by the love of the sword now.

Wait for me, my love.

I will be coming soon.

###

darkhalf@eudoramail.com

Title: Dark Places
Author: BlueKat
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir, movieverse
Rating: maybe R?
Archive: sure
Feedback: always appreciated
Dis: not mine, only fiction
Warning: character death
Summary: Aragorn mourns the death of Boromir
Notes: uhm yeah. Not exactly the story that took me the longest time to write, but... It has been going around my head for a while.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]