Caritas

 

 

Duncan has never given him anything that had a price tag. Not once in six years. No sticky, remnant patches to gather dust and dirt, no convenient distraction for him to worry at with a fingernail while he smiles and wonders what he's done to deserve this or how he'll ever equal it. That's never been a part of who they are. The things Duncan gives him are sometimes intangible, always strange and wonderful, occasionally heart breaking, but they've never had a price tag.

 

Methos likes that about them.

 

And now it's Christmas. Again. Gifts are a given, so to speak. And Duncan is standing by the tree grinning at him like a beautiful fool. He's been doing that for a while now and for once Methos has no idea what he's up to. It makes him nervous. It makes him wince at the paucity of his own gifts, still lying under the tree.

 

He's not at all reassured by the sight of Duncan reaching into his pocket and drawing out something that looks suspiciously like it might have a price tag. His stomach lurches in a familiar way. He's always known that things must inevitably change, but change still manages to catch him off-guard sometimes. Damn it.

 

Duncan is still grinning, though the cockiness has slipped a little, as Methos takes the small package from him, ordering his hands not to shake.

 

They shake anyway and of course the knots in the scarlet ribbon just will--not--come undone. It's too late for bravado, even if he thought it would help. He is becoming ridiculously flustered. Every second that he fumbles, he's feeling like an even bigger fool. And it's not helping that Duncan is settling his warm, capable hands over his own and sliding the ribbon free, knots still tied. Then he takes his hands away, watching him with an indulgent smile.

 

Methos tries to smile back, but there's a sneaking suspicion that it's coming out grotesque rather than grateful. He gives up and looks at the box resting in his left hand. For a moment it feels as if he's never seen one before.

 

The box, that is. His hand might as well not exist for all that the box is filling the entirety of his vision like some yawning chasm that's suddenly appeared at his feet. But it's just a box. A small box. The knowledge doesn't stop him from staring at it as if boxes had never existed until the moment Duncan gave him this one. Which is patently bizarre; he's seen lots of boxes in his life, shoe boxes, packing boxes, long ones for a dozen red roses, tiny square ones for--

 

And he's babbling -- well, babbling internally anyway. Not that it makes any difference. Duncan can't hear his mental gibberish of course, and maybe, just maybe he hasn't noticed how rattled Methos is, but that doesn't stop him feeling like the biggest prat in the history of time. Which he may well be. And he's still doing it, rattling away in his head a million miles a minute, panicked out of all proportion, but his hands are actually moving, almost against his will, but not really because there's a part of him that has to know.

 

He's always been too damned curious for his own good.

 

His hands are still shaking, but he's pushing back the hinged lid, gingerly, as if he expects it to snap shut on his fingertips. He can't look inside though, so he looks up at Duncan instead. Duncan's watching him, not smiling anymore, but with his eyes big and soft and boyish. Everything inside his body goes tight and loose all at once and love rushes over him like it's the first time.

 

No one else can throw him off-balance like Duncan can. From prickly old man to sentimental idiot in all of sixty seconds flat. If he was capable of making a sound right now, he'd probably be laughing at himself. Because, really...could he be any more of a fool?

 

But he's no stranger to being a fool for love. And he loves this man. There are few things Methos knows with utter certainty, but this is one of them. He loves Duncan MacLeod with a surprising and unprecedented passion that makes him do and say and contemplate things that he would have never seriously considered before. Like he's doing now.

 

And because he can't put it off any longer, he looks down into the open box at last. It's a surprise, even though he was certain from the moment he saw the gift in Duncan's hand. Words log-jam at the back of his throat. Silence is everywhere except inside his head where it's a cacophony of reasons why it's impossible, why this is a bad, stupid, impractical idea likely to get them both killed. But still he watches himself reach into the box and take the gift -- the ring -- out because he can't imagine doing anything else.

 

He looks at it at, the panic melting away in an odd kind of relief. He can breathe again, square his shoulders and fill his lungs. The shaking has stopped. It's all out in the open now. And his gift is indeed a ring, unmistakably a ring; smooth-edged and heavy, the gold glinting from its perfect surface. It's plain, unpretentious and really quite beautiful. Methos rubs his forefinger over it and lets the thoughts settle into place inside his head. There's no mistaking what this ring means. Or how he feels about it.

 

It's a question and a promise and an end to pretending that this was ever anything but forever. He's never believed in forever, but he knows if anyone can make him believe in it, Duncan can. It's insanity, but he hasn't lived this long without learning that sometimes the insane thing is the only sensible thing to do.

 

It might cost him -- probably will cost him dearly. But he'll put it on regardless. There's a price tag on this gift all right, but for what it's worth, it's a price Methos is willing to pay.


the end 


Written for the HLCrossroads Gift Horse contest. Thanks to Sharon for the challenge and thanks to MacGeorge and Tritorella for the beta.

 

Back to Contents


Send Feedback