Love Apples Home Quicksearch Advanced Search Random Story Upload Story Upload Help FAQ   Love Apples by Candace I woke to the sound of crashing waves. Sounds poetic, I know. Maybe if I were hearing it from my coastal summer villa in Corinth, it would've been. But instead I was lying facedown on a beach with a broken shell digging into my cheek. Funny how thirsty you get with all that water around. Soaking wet and thirsty. Pretty ironic. "Iphicles? Iphicles, can you hear me?" I kept myself from sighing since I didn't think a lungful of wet sand would do much for my thirst. But I did open my eyes. "Oh, what a relief." That's Iolaus for you. Most people would've said, "Thank the gods," but he'd been burned by enough deities to have purged that phrase from his vocabulary. I squinted up at the low sun. Hard to say if it was sunrise or sunset, since I had no clue which direction I was facing. "Funny," I said, my voice raspy. "I almost asked you what happened." And then I vomited a torrent of seawater. What had happened was a huge storm out of nowhere on a perfectly clear morning. We had sailed on a light ship, a dozen of us in all, including the crew. So at least two of us were still alive. That was promising. Iolaus kept clapping me on the back, even after the heaves stopped. "Enough." "Oh, oh right. Can you stand up? I don't want to leave you here, but I've got to keep searching for more survivors." I attempted to sit and found it was possible. I felt a lot better having rid myself of the sea. "How many of the others have you found?" I knew the answer wouldn't be good by the look on his face. "So far, we're the only ones who've made it." I wiped some grit from my cheek and did my best to stand. Iolaus gave me a hand up and encouraged me to lean on him. Which reminded me--weirdly enough--of this crush I used to have on him, back when we were kids. I was older and had to pretend like I didn't want him and my brother around. Hercules. Since the strongest man in the world lets Iolaus get his back, I leaned on Iolaus as much as I needed to. He supported my weight. "I've come up the beach about a quarter of a league," he said, and I wondered how long it had taken him to get that far. And how it must have felt going that long without seeing another living soul. "Did you find any...." I meant to say 'bodies,' but then I wondered if I should search for a gentler word. I knew those men. Well, all but one, anyway. "The crew," he said. "The merchant." I stopped and faced him. "That only leaves Falafel and the prisoner!" I'd assumed they'd reveal the prisoner's identity to me in Corinth, but maybe I'd never find out after all. Iolaus nodded as his eyes made continual sweeps of the landscape. "C'mon. Let's see if we can find them." We walked for a while, and eventually I could support myself. I was still thirsty but it seemed insignificant in the face of so much death. The sky purpled and a cold wind clung to my damp clothes. "What if they washed up in the other direction?" I said, wondering how much longer we'd search. "Maybe we should go back to where you started." Iolaus watched his feet for a while. "It's getting late. Maybe we should just try to find somewhere sheltered to spend the night." What a relief. I didn't know if he'd try to make us push on all night, just to find a bunch of bodies. But then I glanced out over the shoreline and somehow among the rocks and driftwood a shape coalesced before my eyes that seemed human. "Wait a minute." Iolaus' head snapped up and then we were both running, sliding over the algae-covered rocks and crunching through clam shells. "It's Falafel," he said as we neared. Even though I've known him for years, I still didn't recognize him without his hat. But I guess it was a 50/50 chance. Since I'd only seen the prisoner with a cloth sack over his head, I wouldn't have known him anyway without Iolaus' confirmation. Iolaus rolled Falafel onto his side, thumping him on the back and shouting in his ear. No way, I thought. It had to have been hours since we washed up on the beach. And it was turning cold. But then I heard coughing, and Iolaus' tone got way more cheerful. Once I was assured Falafel wasn't dead, I knelt beside Iolaus next to him. "By the gods, I'm thirsty," he said in that thick, unplaceable accent of his. I felt vaguely guilty that I'd never asked where he's from. Iolaus and I let the oath pass. He hadn't had as many brushes with the gods as we'd had. "What are the chances of us finding drinkable water?" I asked Iolaus. "Not good this close to the shore. If we're lucky we'll find a stream when we head inland." Since when had we ever been lucky? But I decided not to ask that out loud. Iolaus pried Falafel from the soggy beach. Falafel sat up slowly, a crust of sand clinging to his scruffy beard. That left only the prisoner unaccounted for. Bound. Hooded. Unless he was a god, he was likely among the dead. "This mysterious prisoner," I asked, batting a clump of damp seaweed off Falafel, "do we need to worry about him slitting our throats while we sleep?" Iolaus gave me some tragic look I couldn't really read and shook his head. "Come on," he said, giving Falafel a hand up. "We'd better find some shelter for the night." The three of us staggered inland, Falafel in the middle with his arms around both of us, me now walking upright of my own volition. Though the ground seemed to be made entirely of sharp, rocky, jagged things, plants still sprang up, and I held some hope that maybe there was fresh water somewhere. "I'll find us some fruit when the sun comes back up," Falafel muttered, his words slurring. I hoped he'd make it 'till morning. Fruit sounded damn good. The rocky debris turned to a rough excuse for soil and walking grew easier, though the land swelled with sharp slopes and huge boulders studded the landscape. I suspected that at least it would be better to overnight wedged against a boulder than lying exposed in a flat field of grass. "Over there," Falafel said, though we didn't know where, as he didn't have a free hand to point with. "Is that a cave?" Surely enough, a quick scan of our immediate surroundings revealed a vine-covered opening embedded in the face of a sudden rise of rocky dirt. With my luck, it was home to a gaggle of baby hydra. Though I didn't say that out loud. The wind picked up, blowing in off the sea, and even in my weakened state, I would've given those hydra a run for their money to secure a sheltered niche for myself. Energized by the sight of the cave, the three of us picked up speed, only shoring each other up occasionally as one of us stumbled. "It looks deep," Iolaus said as he scuttled up the rock face like he wasn't battered, dehydrated and exhausted. I wondered how Falafel would make it up there. Slowly, I guessed. I gave Falafel a hand up, and then Iolaus gave him another, and so on, until the three of us hauled ourselves onto a broad ledge. "Tell me there's not a bear in there," Falafel said, joking no doubt, though I didn't really find it funny. "Nope," came a voice from inside the cave. "No bears in here." The three of us froze, and then Iolaus plunged forward. "How--?" A man strode out of the cave to meet him, a dark-haired guy with a formidable chin and a pronounced swagger. "It wasn't easy, what with my hands and feet chained together." "You're the prisoner," I said. Yeah, I know, I'm brilliant. But the length of chain hanging from one of his wrists was a dead giveaway. That and the fact that everyone else who'd been on board was dead. Falafel followed me in. "Autolycus?" he cried. "My friend!" Now there was a name I knew: the infamous King of Thieves. "I thought you and Hercules were friends with him," I said to Iolaus. "Why were you escorting him back to Corinth with a sack over his head?" Iolaus opened his mouth to explain, but then fatigue seemed to catch up with him all at once and he sagged against the cave wall, sliding down until he sat on the rock floor. "Pray tell," said Autolycus. "Because I think we both know the charges are ludicrous." "You would've gotten a fair trial," Iolaus said. "Is that right?" Autolycus swung his chain like it was a fashion accessory. "A fair trial--that's rich! You, of anyone, should know how hot and bothered a magistrate'll get if you let 'em. All they care about is punishing a crime--not making sure they've actually got the guy who did it." "If you're innocent, you can prove it." "If I'm innocent? If?" Autolycus stopped twirling his chain and balled his fists on his hips. "C'mon, curly. Do you really think I killed Hercules?" The distant sound of the surf was suddenly deafening as none of us dared even breathe. Dry leaves rustled. A cricket sang. "I need to sit down," Falafel said finally, staggering past me into the cave. Hercules. Dead. Hercules. Dead. Of course I knew what the words meant. Just not together. "The evidence is circumstantial," Autolycus said. "It wouldn't hold up in court in Athens. But in Corinth? Please, even the barbarians are leaps and bounds ahead of the Corinthian legal system. Ah, no offence, Your Majesty." "Iphicles," I corrected him, my mind still trying to connect the words "Hercules" and "dead" with little success. "Look, there's not even a body. You're gonna charge me for murder without a body?" My ears pricked up. How obvious could it be? No body, no dead Hercules. Iolaus shook his head. "The bracelet they found on you...Hercules gave it to a girl." He stopped to wipe his nose. I kept my mouth shut. Even Falafel leaned in closer as Iolaus' voice grew soft, breaking here and there. "Aris. He'd pledged himself to her. They were on their way to Corinth, to tell...." He stopped and looked at me, his eyes swimming with unshed tears. "The constable found Aris'...body. And Hercules gone." We all watched Iolaus as he twisted the lacing of his boot. "Well, I'm sorry." Autolycus had softened his voice. Slightly. "But that still doesn't make me a killer and you know it." "I did try to tell them that," Iolaus admitted. "But without Herc to back me up, no one listened. So I did the next best thing. I offered to escort you back to Corinth. I thought maybe the real killer would slip up and reveal himself." "But there was no body," I reminded him. Iolaus turned his eyes to me and I wished I'd said it a little more tactfully. There was a body--the girl's. Iolaus must have known Aris. And judging by that look, he'd probably loved her, too. A bit deeper in the cave, Falafel snored, overtaken finally by exhaustion. I was able to tear my eyes from Iolaus' crushed look and glance over at him. "Look," said Autolycus. "I know Hercules wouldn't have let something happen to his girl if he had a choice. But for all we know, he's in Erin right now. Or Chin. Or up on God-Mountain." Iolaus stared down at the floor. "Until I see his body," I said, "I won't believe he's dead." "You're right," Iolaus mumbled, turning his face away from us and settling down to sleep. I don't think he believed me, but he wanted to. "I'm sure you're right." I lie on a forest floor, cool and damp with living things growing all around me. I feel the clutch of vines and creepers pulling at my ankles, wrists and hair, and I thrash back and forth, freeing myself from the plants' grasp as quickly as the tendrils can wind themselves around me. Eventually, the struggles give way to a blackness that stretches for a time I can't measure, until the sound of birdsong intrudes and the world turns reddish behind my closed eyelids. I cracked open one eye. Sunlight slanted through the cave's opening, and a little ways down the tunnel a pair of voices whispered. "They'll just slow us down." "No, we need all of them. Don't be stupid." "Shh!" "All of what?" I said, yawning as I tried to shake off the clingy, invasive feeling that still crawled up my spine from those weird dreams. I attempted to stretch but my muscles were so knotted up that I could hardly lift my arms. I squinted and saw Iolaus' profile deeper inside the cave, with Falafel leaning with his arms crossed and his back against the opposite wall. Falafel and Iolaus both stared at me. "Well. Tell him," said Falafel. Iolaus shrugged. "All the supplies we can carry." "Supplies?" I rolled my neck and it popped. A sharp twinge shot down my spine, but then a couple of my stiffer muscles loosened. "What supplies? Did you find that fruit?" Iolaus winked at Falafel and walked toward the front of the cave, nodding at me as he passed. I hadn't really expected him to be quite so chipper, what with all the death that seemed to be going around. Maybe he was a morning person. Sun shone through his blond hair as he climbed down from the cave, the top of his head slipping out of sight beyond the ledge. I looked back toward Falafel, who'd stayed where he was, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. "Well," I asked him, "did you?" "What?" "Maybe you were delirious," I said. Though even in his delirium, he'd been worried about making sure all of us were comfortable. Men didn't come much more accommodating than Falafel, which was why I'd let him winter over in Corinth the past few years, despite the fact that he wasn't the best of cooks. "You could hardly walk and you were talking about finding breakfast." Falafel pushed off from the wall and whisked by me, taking huge strides. "Fine. I'll go get fruit." He swung his body over the ledge in a quick, precise movement and began climbing down. I stared at the top of his balding head as it disappeared from the cave mouth. "What got into him?" Autolycus asked. I turned to find him smoothing his hair into place, flicking the dangling chain behind him. "I dunno. Maybe he slept wrong." "Do you really trust him to forage for our breakfast in a strange wilderness?" I pulled a dry web of kelp off my tunic. "He'd know what's edible before I would. I know the plants around Corinth and Thebes, but that's about it." Autolycus stood and the chain swung by his side. "I've never been much of a naturalist, myself. Salad and fruit is well and good--alongside a nice, juicy lamb chop, or maybe a good steak." We both stared at the cave mouth. I wondered if I should have offered to help Iolaus or Falafel, though Iolaus had seemed like he didn't need the company and Falafel like he didn't want it. "Listen," Autolycus said. "What I said earlier, about the Corinthian justice system--" "Forget about it." His chain jingled as he went to the cave mouth and gazed out. "So you don't think I murdered your brother." I tried to imagine it. "I don't see how you could have. I mean, he's fought gods and come out on top." "And there you go." I ducked the chain as it followed Autolycus' sweeping hand gesture. "The opinion of the head of state's gotta be worth something." The cave mouth dimmed, and the grumble of thunder in the distance overtook the sound of the surf. "I think that murder trial is the least of your worries. We've got to deal with food, water, maybe even a fire. And we need to figure out where we are, and how we get back." "First things first. How 'bout we figure out how to get rid of this chain?" Autolycus seemed convinced that with the proper lever, one could move the world. I guess I never put all that much stock in tools, except maybe a well-honed sword. Not that any of us had a sword. Autolycus had long since been stripped of weapons. I assumed my sword was mincing seaweed at the bottom of the Mediterranean. Even my daggers were lost. I guess I was lucky I still had my clothes and boots. I emerged from the cave long enough to gather anything nearby that might be of use. Though it would take a more creative person than me to do anything important with shells, rocks and driftwood. Thunder still grumbled in the distance, and the wind stirred itself into small tantrums that kicked sand into my eyes. It would die down for a little while and kick up again as soon as my eyes stopped tearing. Iolaus and Falafel came back while I was trying to pry Autolycus' chain open with a knotty length of driftwood that I'd wedged into one link. "If you give yourself a longer piece of the lever, you'll exert more force," Auto explained for about the hundredth time. "This is the only spot that's not sliding around," I said. Falafel and Iolaus gathered around to observe my inability to handle tools. "We got the supplies. You haul them up," Falafel said. I glanced at him, surprised that his mood was still so sour. Not that I could blame him. I wasn't exactly having the time of my life, either. "Keep your pants on," said Autolycus. "He's almost got it." That vote of confidence must have given the stick license to skid out of place. I barely avoided impaling Autolycus through the arm with it. "Now look what you did," Autolycus said. "And we were so close." "Give me that." Falafel snatched the wood away from the two of us and tossed it over his shoulder. He fingered the link I'd been trying to pry open, and then touched a few of the others. He hefted a huge rock from the cave floor, licked his thumb and ran it over the rock's surface, assessing it with a frown. He shrugged. And then there was a blur as he brought the rock down a hair's breadth from Autolycus' hand, shouting, "Yaaah," for effect. Sparks--flying pebbles--the whole thing. I just about wet myself. Maybe Autolycus even did. Once the dust settled, I saw a link had been smashed open. Autolycus blinked a few times before relieving himself--of a great length of chain. "Thanks," he mumbled. Falafel nodded his head toward the cave mouth. "Go get the stuff," he said, shoving past Autolycus and heading deeper into the cave. I glanced over at Iolaus, figuring maybe he could shed some light on Falafel's mood since they'd been foraging together the past few hours. He was leaning against one of the more perpendicular cave walls with his thumbs hooked in his waistband and his ankles crossed, a faint smile on his face. "Is there a lot?" I asked him. Iolaus glanced out at the roiling gray sky and back at me. "Yeah, I suppose. Might as well bring it all in." He pushed off the wall and walked back to the cave mouth, whistling to himself. I stared at the back of his head. He was in an awfully good mood considering that Hercules' fiance was dead, and he thought there was a possibility that Hercules was, too. I turned and looked at Falafel, who was picking up sticks of driftwood, studying them, and then flinging them back down on the cave floor. Had the two of them stumbled into a patch of hallucinogenic weeds? "Come on," said Autolycus, rubbing absently at his manacled hand. "Let's see what they found." My concerns over the other guys' mood swings were pushed aside when I saw the litter of stuff they'd collected. "You brought down a deer?" I asked Iolaus, baffled that he'd even found one, let alone felled it without a bow. "Falafel nailed it, actually. But I found the fruit." I stared down at the loosely woven baskets made from broad, green leaves. Plums, acorns, berries, greens, and some big, orange-red things I didn't recognize. Between Iolaus and Falafel, they'd found more food than I would have been able to forage given a week, a handful of assistants...and probably a guide. "Come on," said Iolaus. "We'd better haul them up and build a fire in the cave mouth. I don't want to attract bears." "Geez," Autolycus said, hopping down the last few feet to join us. "Didn't know we were opening a restaurant." Iolaus tossed a coiled vine to him, and another to me. "Well, y'know. Unpopulated forest, plenty to choose from. C'mon, let's hustle." I tried not to be obvious about staring at the deer as I looped the vine through its bound hooves. It looked like it'd been killed by a blow to the head with a blunt object. I thought of that rock whistling down beside Autolycus' hand. I wondered if I should be worried. "It's raining," Iolaus announced, gathering up as much stuff as he could carry and still climb up to the cave. "Let's go. My hair's getting wet." I stuffed a handful of berries into my mouth and Autolycus did the same. "A deer," he said wolfing down a plum. He handed one to me and I did the same, sighing as the juice soothed my dry throat. "Yeah," I said, "a deer. You guys did a really good job." Iolaus and Falafel were stacking driftwood for a fire. Iolaus smiled over his shoulder at me and winked. "Make sure you eat one of those tomatoes so you don't get scurvy." I turned the unfamiliar word around in my mind. "What?" "You know," said Iolaus, turning to pick one of those round, reddish things out of the pile. "Love apples. The Romans swear by 'em." "Love apples?" Autolycus scoffed. "That's nightshade. Everyone knows it's poisonous." "That," said Falafel, whirling around, "is a tomato." He grabbed it from Iolaus' grasp and took a huge bite. Seeds and juice sprayed to either side, dripping down his chin as he glared at Autolycus while he chewed. "And they're juicy," Iolaus added. "Might slake your thirst a little." "We'll still need water," Falafel grumbled, finishing the tomato with a few more huge bites. "Relax," said Iolaus. He gestured at a pile of stuff with his head as he fitted a couple pieces of kindling together and began twirling a stick between his palms. "That's what the broad leaves are for. We shape them into bowls and set them out for the rain. No sweat." Falafel grunted and placed another hunk of wood onto the stack. It was the most symmetrical wood pile I'd ever seen. The deer hung upside down beside it, bleeding out into a narrow trench. I'd had no idea the shells I'd collected could be broken and used for knives. Iolaus' kindling started to smolder and he added a bit of plant fluff to it, cupping his hand around it and blowing gently. It's not like I'd never seen anyone start a fire before, but I'd never seen anyone look so relaxed about it. "So, how were you planning to prepare your venison?" asked Autolycus, lying back and crossing his arms beneath his head. "Peppered medallions in a white wine glaze?" Falafel glared at him. "C'mon," he said, "lighten up. Can't you take a compliment?" "After all, you are a chef," said Iolaus. Falafel turned his glare of doom toward Iolaus, and then stalked to the mouth of the cave. The dull sound of shell hacking at flesh pulsed through the cave, until it was drowned by the crackle and hiss of a big blaze. "C'mon," said Iolaus. "I'll show you guys how to form those bowls. We'll weight 'em down with a rock in the middle of each one so they don't blow away in the storm." "Just a little trick you learned in the east," Autolycus said. "I've got plenty of 'em." Iolaus sat down tailor-style and went to work folding leaves. My bowls looked like they'd been made by a one-armed apprentice but no one criticized me, so I kept on folding so I didn't feel so damn useless. "We should put a plan together," I said, trying to force the stem into a slot. "Do you think passing ships will see our fire and stop? Should we try sending out signals?" "Great idea," said Iolaus. He didn't sound sarcastic. I think. Autolycus threw a bowl onto the growing pile and reached for another leaf. His bowls were round. "Did you see anything promising when you were out--trails, signs...anything?" Iolaus shook his head. "Nothing." "Any idea where we are?" "Nope." "You've traveled all over," I said. "Anything look familiar?" "Uh uh." Falafel came and sat across from me. His clothes were soaked in blood, and they looked black in the flickering firelight. He made no move to start folding bowls. "We need to explore the cave," he said. Everyone looked at him, and he glanced around at each of us and then shrugged. "I mean, we might as well," he added. "Maybe we'll find a spring." Autolycus finished another embarrassingly round bowl and looked over to Iolaus. "I supposed you also learned the art of spelunking in the east?" Iolaus prodded Falafel's saturated trousers and wrinkled his nose. "There's not much to know. I'm sure we could all handle it. We'd need to make some torches, but that's no biggie." "Maybe you could build us a trireme and we could just sail home," Autolycus suggested. Iolaus flicked some deer guts off Falafel's knee. "You really shouldn't have done the butchering in your clothes. They're gonna to start to stink." Falafel sucked his teeth loudly and stood up, snatching the pile of leaf bowls. "I'll be outside," he said and stalked away to go stand in the downpour. "Artistic types," Iolaus said, turning toward our symmetrical pile of driftwood and beginning to sort through it. "So temperamental." Torches. I've got a storeroom full of them in Corinth. I had no idea they involved things other than wood--like sap. Apparently rags would've been good, too. Autolycus and I were put on torch making duty after an exhaustive lesson from Iolaus. And I was beginning to feel like maybe he could actually build us that trireme. You'd just have to keep me and my ten thumbs out of his way. Falafel came back a couple of hours later, soaked through, but in a different set of clothes. He was carrying a huge armload of stuff: straighter pieces of driftwood for the torches, more coils of vine, a bundle of shirts, trousers. The first mate's vest. I really wished I hadn't recognized that. A long knife was sheathed on his thigh. He pulled out another dagger and tossed it to Iolaus. I felt left out. I could see them not wanting to arm Autolycus since he was technically Iolaus' prisoner. But me? It didn't feel right to say anything, though. If I'd wanted a weapon I probably should have gone and searched the bodies myself. I could hardly expect Falafel to do his best butchering with clam shells. And Iolaus could probably use the dagger to carve a flute and play us all a lullabye. Falafel sat down beside me as I twirled the driftwood in some sap. He stared at the side of my face. I glanced over at him. He usually smiles at me when we interact, but he was just staring. "Uh, good job...foraging." He shrugged. Not like he was modest, but like it was beneath his notice. "So what's it like being Hercules' brother?" Where the heck did that come from? "Uh, I dunno. Good, I guess." "Good how?" "Well, you know. He's there for you when you need him. He'd give you the shirt off his back." He nodded, barely. And kept on staring. Iolaus came over and dropped a hand on his shoulder. "You must be tired from all that work you did today." Falafel's eyes snapped up to meet Iolaus'. "Right." "And Iphicles has a lot more torches to make." Falafel stood, towering over Iolaus. I supposed he was always that height, but I was more accustomed to seeing him hunch a little. His fingers caressed the knife on his thigh. "I wanted to make some jerky tonight, anyway." Iolaus smiled pleasantly as Falafel lurched toward the deer carcass. "I'll go see if he needs any help." I stared at Iolaus' back as he stepped out to the ledge. I glanced over at Autolycus, who'd watched the other two men with narrowed eyes. And then he caught me looking at him and went back to making torches as if nothing unusual had happened. I won't say that I slept well that night, but I was so exhausted that at least my sleep was dreamless. I woke up before dawn to Falafel cursing. "What the fuck is this?" I pried one of my eyes open. He'd rolled up his sleeve and his arm was covered with red welts. Iolaus skimmed his fingers over the bumps. "Looks like poison ivy." Falafel's eyes bugged out, like they didn't bulge enough to begin with. "So fix it!" Iolaus' eyes glanced over at me and Autolycus, and then he patted Falafel on the shoulder. "All right, no prob'. I'm sure I'll recall some herbal remedy I learned in the east." Falafel's glare followed Iolaus from the cave, and then he turned it on Autolycus and me. We both acted like we were doing nothing more than waking up, looking at the cave wall. I was making a point of minding my own business when a chunk of cooked venison plated on a big leaf was dropped beside me. "Eat that," Falafel said. "You need your strength." "What about me?" Autolycus said. Falafel grunted and pointed to a pile of cooked meat beside the fire. I saw parchment-thin strips of jerky drying on the smooth rocks all around, as well as some thin-sliced fruit. "There's water outside," he said, climbing down from the cave. "I get the feeling he suddenly likes you a lot better than he does me," Autolycus said, laying into the cooked meat. I shrugged and tried my own portion. It tasted better than the roast at the last banquet Falafel had prepared in Corinth, though maybe it just seemed that way because I was so hungry. Still, the meat was crusty and brown on the outside, tender and juicy inside. We ate in silence, concentrating on getting as much food in us as we could handle. But eventually I felt full, uncomfortably so, and wondered what it was I should be doing to contribute to the group effort. So far I'd made a few misshapen bowls and some torches. What an asset I was. Autolycus gave a long sigh as he drained his second leaf-bowl of rain. "I've been thinking about Hercules." I dared a look at him. He seemed comparatively normal, in that his mood and reactions still seemed to match our situation. "Uh huh?" "Maybe once we find our way out of this wilderness, I'll track him down so we can all stop worrying about him. I'm sure someone's seen him." Autolycus was worried about Hercules? I found that somehow endearing. But more importantly, was I worried about him? I stared down at my pile of torches. Yeah, I was worried about Hercules. Worried sick. I'd just put off thinking about him until I got myself sorted out. "I found more sap," Iolaus called from the cave mouth. He'd carried it back to our camp in another of his handy leaf bowls. I wasn't sure if he winked at me, or it was just a trick of the light. I could have sworn that he'd been worried about Hercules, too. "Pretty soon we'll have enough torches to explore the cave," he said, hunkering down to eat a chunk of venison. "But the rain's lightened up," Autolycus said. "Don't you think we should make our way inland and try to figure out where we are?" Iolaus looked out. "It just seems lighter now. I don't like the look of the clouds on the horizon. I think we're in for another downpour." Falafel hauled himself over the ledge. He'd made his way up the cliff face with a huge bundle of wood tied to his back with vines. He was soaked through from the rain, and a tuft of herb stems protruded from the cuff of his sleeve on his afflicted arm. "I'm not walking around when it's lightning out," he said, throwing the bundle down. "One of us could be struck." "By lightning," Autolycus said. "That's right." "All this work you're putting into the status quo," Autolycus said carefully, waving his hands to indicate the venison, the torches. "Don't you think we'd be better off finding a road?" "Was I complaining about the work?" Falafel cried. He looked at me. "Did you hear me complain?" "Um, no. No complaints." "There. You see?" Falafel planted his hands on his hips and swung around to face the cave mouth. "You want to find a road so bad? Fine, be my guest. Go on. Find a road." "Take it easy," Autolycus said. "I think we all need to stick together." "I think he's right," said Iolaus. Falafel glowered. "I'm going to go find more wood for torches." "I thought you were worried about being struck by lightning," Autolycus called after him. Falafel's voice dripped ice. "I'll stick close by." I was put off by the number of torches Iolaus seemed to think we'd need, but he cheerfully suggested it would probably be better to have too many than too few and end up getting caught in the dark. The storm did pick back up after all, and I was glad we hadn't ventured out of our cave. I curled up in a cloak that Falafel had salvaged, my stomach full of perfectly cooked venison, and drifted off to sleep. A piece of wood popping in the fire woke me up, and I was startled to find Iolaus lying on his side right next to me, head propped up on the heel of his hand, staring at my face. Falafel and Autolycus were lumpish bundles of scavenged garments, one snoring, the other breathing deeply. Iolaus made no move to stop staring at me once I'd awakened. I raised my eyebrows. "What?" "How're you doing?" I wondered what that was supposed to mean. "Fine. Why?" He sighed. "Just making sure you're okay." He picked a burr from the cloak that was wrapped around me and flicked it toward the fire. "It feels kinda weird, y'know?" "What?" "Having him gone. Hercules." I almost thought he'd forgotten about Hercules. It was a relief to know he hadn't. I looked past him into the fire. "It's strange," I confessed. "I never thought I'd be the one worrying about him." "We traveled together for a lot of years." I nodded. "Just used to having the big guy around, I guess." He sat up to brush something from the leg of his pants, and when he lay back down, he was even closer to me. I tried to stare into the fire some more but couldn't seem to tear my eyes from his. "Kinda lonely," Iolaus whispered. "Without him." I guess I could've backed off when he tilted his lips against mine, but for whatever reason, I didn't. Maybe I felt sorry for him--or maybe it was all too surreal. Maybe I'd just secretly wanted to get in Iolaus' pants ever since I could remember. His fingers wove through my hair and our kiss deepened. I got one arm free from the cloak wound around me and pulled him against my chest, and he sighed into my mouth. "You feel good," he said, his breath tickling my lower lip. My mind was screaming at me, wondering what in Hades I thought I was doing. I'd always wondered if Hercules and Iolaus were more than just friends. But what with them both being married, I'd dismissed the idea. Now I wondered again. Of course, I filtered out all of those notions before I answered Iolaus. "So do you." He nuzzled his face into mine, cupping my jaw. Our scruffy chins rasped together. And then he took my lower lip between his again, sucking it gently, tracing its shape with his tongue. I wanted to pull away from him, at least a lot of me did. Because how would it look if Autolycus or Falafel saw? What kind of a heel would I be, moving in on my brother's partner while he was missing--maybe dead? But my mouth said yes. And other parts of my body were starting to say yes, too. Iolaus' sigh tickled my lip. "I just want you to hold me for a little while," he said, tucking his face into the crook of my neck. Boy. What kind of heel would I be if I didn't? "I think the rain's gonna let up." Autolycus had been perching at the cave mouth all morning. As far as I could tell, the rainfall was exactly the same as it had been since we'd woken up. But I suspected he was getting a little antsy and so he was seeing what he wanted to see. Falafel towered over him. "Those black clouds on the horizon carry lightning," he said. "Remember how bad it was on the ship?" "A little hard to tell with a bag over my head," Auto muttered. "It will be more of the same," Falafel said, jabbing his finger toward the clouds. "You'll see." He fondled the hilt of his knife, his eyes boring into Autolycus', but then he turned back to the venison. He got busy working on the carcass; anything he didn't cook or dry that day would go to waste. Iolaus had shown us how to make net sacks out of knotted grasses. I don't need to go into what mine looked like. Luckily, he was quick enough to crank out an extra one for me. "I think we could go deeper into the caves," he said, his fingers flying over the dried grass. He was braiding some kind of strap. "We've got food, water and light." I didn't even want to think about the waterskins he'd fashioned out of a dead man's leather pants. Maybe it'd be dark enough that I wouldn't have to dwell on their origins. "I don't see how that'll help us," Autolycus said, edging away from Falafel. "What we need is a road, a town, a few quick horses. I doubt we'll find any of that in the cave." "Tell him," Falafel muttered, thwacking a hunk of meat into smaller chunks. Iolaus sighed, grinning. "Well, okay. I was gonna surprise you, but since you're being like that...." He drew a thick roll of birch bark from his vest and handed it to Autolycus. "What's this?" "I found it stuck in a crevice a little ways in." "What's that writing? It looks Sumerian." I edged around to try to get a look at it. Not that I read Sumerian. "I think it is," Iolaus said. "And that little twist you see right after the beginning? That's right there in the tunnel." "A map," Autolycus said, tracing his fingertip over the route. "Well. That sheds a whole new light on things." "Figures," said Falafel. "Thought you'd be happy," Autolycus replied. "You've been trying to get us deeper into the cave for how long?" "I have not. I just refuse to go out into the storm, and exploring is more productive than sitting on our hands." "What do you think it is?" I asked, craning my neck to get a look at the thing. "We can't just assume it's treasure," Autolycus said. "It could be any number of things." "Such as?" Iolaus asked. "Well...maybe a Sumerian cave dweller was trying to show another Sumerian cave dweller the way to his house." "Sure," Iolaus said, clapping Autolycus on the shoulder as he turned back to his knotting. The appearance of the map seemed to get all of us working more industriously, and pretty soon we had all of our stuff bundled and tied to our backs. My load seemed pretty heavy. Not that I'm complaining. I was the biggest guy there. It just made me wonder, is all. How many trips into the rain had Iolaus and Falafel made to gather all the stuff up? Iolaus had me pack a couple tomatoes in my sack. I still hadn't brought myself to try one since Autolycus seemed so vehement about them being poisonous. But since Iolaus had proven so knowledgeable about most everything else, I brought a couple along. But pretty soon I didn't have time to worry about anything other than where I was going to put my next footstep. The cave started out innocently enough, wide enough for us to walk two abreast and the ceiling far over our heads, but in the time it took for two torches to burn down the way narrowed, sometimes to the point where I had to take off my pack and turn sideways to squeak through. "C'mon," Autolycus called from somewhere up ahead. "Or are we gonna have to grease you?" Just ahead of me, Iolaus turned and watched me struggle. In the flickering light of the torch he carried, I could make out the faintest smile on his face. "What?" I said, once I'd found a stretch where I could breathe easily for a little while. Iolaus raised an eyebrow. "Don't tell me that didn't give you any ideas," he said under his breath. Great. I got to be distracted by the thought that Iolaus had just flirted with me. As if I wasn't having a hard enough time keeping up. Holding him against me, kissing him a time or two--that, I could rationalize, tell myself it was only about comfort. But Iolaus giving me that look and talking about greased bodies was definitely harder to ignore. Especially since my dick seemed to think it was a fine idea. "You need help?" Falafel said, coming up behind me. His tone wasn't nasty or anything, but it still bothered me. Because he always used to call me King Iphicles. I'd noticed that because everyone else calls me Your Majesty, so between that and his accent, it kinda stood out. But now? Now it's no title at all. "Uh, no. I got it." I hefted my pack and moved on. There were spots where the trail turned downward and deeper into the earth, but the others were undaunted by the prospect of descending. Watching Autolycus navigate a vertical shaft with a torch in one hand is a thing of beauty. I could've sold tickets. And he claimed he was having an off day because "someone" had taken his grappling hook. I handled myself well enough on the drop, though I wouldn't have wanted to do it one-handed. I also didn't relish the thought of climbing back up, but I felt like I'd look like a sissy if I said anything about it. We trudged, and rappeled, and squeezed on. And when one torch started to gutter out, we lit another one. Pretty soon my pack felt a little lighter, as did everyone else's, and we counted ten torches that we'd burned through. I have no idea how long our improvised torches burned, a candlemark, or more, or less...but it was some kind of way to measure time, at least, and to feel confident that my weariness was due to a need for sleep and not some weakness in my character. "How far along are we?" I called up to Autolycus. "Is it a good time to rest?" "We're just over halfway there," he said. "Maybe we should push on." We all gathered close, Autolycus holding the map so we all could see it and Iolaus raising his torch high. "No," Falafel said. "I'm tired. We should sleep." I saw the sheen of sweat on his cheekbones in the torchlight. I didn't feel any better than he looked, my arms scraped by the cave walls and my thighs screaming at me from all the climbing I'd done. "All right," I said. "We'll set some watches to keep the torches burning." "Should we draw straws to see who gets a middle shift?" Autolycus asked. "Don't worry about it," said Iolaus. I'll take one." "So will I," I blurted out because I needed to feel like I was able to do something at least as well as the others, even if that thing was just waking up. "You take the first watch," Falafel said to Autolycus. "I'm tired." I watched Falafel out of the corner of my eye as he tightened the herbal poultice on his arm, kicked a few stones away and lay down on the rocky floor. He crossed his arms over his chest and shut his eyes, and soon his breathing deepened and slowed. I'd expected Autolycus to come up with one of his zingers, but he was watching Falafel out of the corner of his eye, too. I wanted to be heartened by that, but before I could think much of it, Iolaus was pressing the waterskin into my hands. "Don't drink too much--we've got to conserve it. But at least take a few good swallows." Iolaus. I nearly choked on the first swallow when I realized he'd be waking me for my watch, or me him, and we'd be the only ones awake. Alone. Together. "Hey, that's supposed to go down your throat," said Autolycus, "not out your nose. Gimme that." I surrendered the waterskin to Autolycus, trying to make my coughs less conspicuous and echoey by muffling my mouth with my palms. Great, just great. Now I couldn't even drink right. I woke to the feel of a hand clasped on my shoulder. "Hey. Iphilcles." I pried my eyes open to find Iolaus crouched over me. He looked...normal, I guess. Like a guy I just happened to be stuck on a Mediterranean island with. Like an acquaintance I had who was really much closer to my brother than he was to me. Like a regular guy. And then he smiled. "Um, hey." I rolled out from under him, feeling way too much like prey. I'm too big to be worrying about things like that. "How'd you sleep?" He said it in a whisper, but his voice carried well enough. And the softness lent a seductive edge to it that I really didn't want to deal with. "Fine," I said, making a show of checking the torch. "How many of these do I let burn down until I wake Falafel up?" "Just one," Iolaus said. "Like I said, gotta conserve." I nodded and kept on staring at the torch, thinking that maybe Iolaus would be as tired as I was, or that maybe he could take a hint. "You sure you slept okay?" His voice was a purr, behind me and right in my ear, and I nearly jumped out of my skin as his fingertips made their way up my bare arms. "Because you look a little stiff to me." Great. Iolaus, the comedian. His hands caressed their way up to my shoulders and his thumbs sank into twin points on either side of my spine that released every tension that had ever been in my body. I made a noise something like, "Uuhn." "There." I felt the word against the back of my neck. "Feel better?" Better? I was incredible. And although my brain was beseeching me to put some distance between Herc's partner and me, my body was pretty damn interested in what else his hands could do. "Yeah." "Good." He drew the word out, his breath warm on my skin. And as I'd hoped they would, his hands continued to roam my back, finding a few stubborn remaining knots and releasing them. My body grew so light, so relaxed, that even though I was crouched on a damp cave floor, it felt like I was floating. By the time his hands slid around to my chest, I was so relaxed I couldn't even muster up a token protest. He pulled the thongs away that held my vest shut, and the heavy leather top slipped from my shoulders, its own weight pulling it down. Iolaus let go of me long enough to pull the vest into position beneath us so that we could both tip sideways onto it. It seemed like it should have been easier with him behind me like that, his hands tracing the muscles of my abdomen and chest, raking patterns through my chest hair and teasing at my nipples. Except it wasn't, really, because for every time I thought how good something felt, my mind would add, "Yeah, but that's Iolaus." And that annoying mind was even more insistent since I couldn't see him. But boy, could I feel him. A whole hard handspan of him, pressed into my low back. When had he got his trousers down? I froze where I was, all of my attention drawing into a point at the bottom of my spine. And now my mind wasn't telling me, "That's Iolaus," anymore. It was going, "That's Iolaus' cock." "Feel that?" he whispered. I tried a few times before I could form a sound. "Uh huh." He ground it into me. "You feel so good." His hands roamed over the front of me with more enthusiasm, skirting lower, brushing against my waistband. "Nice, hard body." I dunno if he meant "body" or something even more specific, which was also nice and hard. And which he ran his palm over as he said it. Even though I couldn't see him, I closed my eyes and tried to will my mind to go blank. Except it kept wondering why my body would feel like anything special compared to Hercules'. I mean, yeah--I'm pretty big. But so's he. "C'mon," Iolaus said, and in my self-imposed and unsuccessful blankness, I let him arrange me like a ridiculously huge puppet. "Turn over so I can kiss you again." Again, my mind said "no" while my body said, "oh boy." It was getting stale, that mind/body battle, and I'd either need to quit getting it on with Iolaus or quit worrying about it. But then his tongue grazed my lower lip while his hand slid beneath my waistband, and I guess I spontaneously quit worrying about it. Not much room for worry when such agile fingers manage to find that wet spot in the slit of my cock and smooth it around the head with just the perfect amount of slippery pressure. And his tongue was just as agile as his fingers. He pressed his mouth over mine just as I started moaning. "Shh, careful," he breathed into my mouth. I opened my eyes and found his eyes crinkled in a smile. "Yeah, I know. Feels incredible." My hands had located his body by this time, all that smooth, bare flesh he's got no problem showing off with that tattered vest he's always wearing. I slid that off carefully, figuring that it might disintegrate after all it's been through. I fingered the snake medallion that hangs mid-chest on him, but he pulled it off and dropped it on top of the vest. I never knew clothes could be so loud. Even though my leathers were crackly with brine, they still managed to squeak as I tried to squirm out of them. I considered just leaving the pants around my knees. But heck, if I was gonna get caught, buck naked seemed at least a little more dignified than half-mast leather pants. Iolaus drew his palm down my body from shoulder to thigh. "Mmm, yeah." I could barely hear it, but it made me feel like I'd made the right choice. About the clothing, anyway. An unmistakably smooth hardness filled my hand, and my fingers wrapped around it of their own accord. Iolaus sighed and thrust lightly into my loose fist. His fingers trailed inward, stroking my inner thighs with a pressure that would have tickled unbearably had it only been a fraction lighter. I let go of his cock and smacked my palm over his maddening fingers, but he took it in stride. I'm not sure if he winked at me or if it was just a play of the flickering torchlight, but he seemed pretty unperturbed about taking his hands elsewhere. He eased me onto my back, straddled me, and then slid his erection right up next to mine, stroking them together with easy flicks of his hips. His hands roamed over my chest, fingers brushing my nipples as if by accident, each touch forcing out a moan that I had to swallow. Then Iolaus' hands slid low again, and my body bucked as he pressed my cock against his and started jerking them off with both hands. I stared at that, our cockheads peeking up over his interlaced fingers, his narrow hips thrusting into his hands, and then I looked him in the eye. He wet his lips and nailed me with a look that was pure sex. I closed my eyes and tried to tell myself he was just having a really good time, but that look still sent a chill through me. I wondered if that was how he used to look at Hercules. "I'm sure he knows now. All because you couldn't keep it in your pants." Okay, that was definitely not part of my dream. The one where I went to the tutor's house but the exam was on some subject I'd never studied before. But I couldn't quite place the voice. Which seemed pretty dumb, since I was stuck in a cave with only three other guys. Autolycus was easy enough to rule out. As was Iolaus, who'll be saying, "C'mon, stud. Come for me," in my head now every time he opens his mouth. That left Falafel. But it sure didn't sound like him. "Relax," said Iolaus, "he doesn't know. How could he know?" "If you don't act right, we're gonna get caught, and that's that." Aha! That's it! Falafel, but without his accent. And Iolaus was right, I didn't know what in Hades that meant. But I did have a sneaking suspicion it couldn't be good. "Oh, like you're acting right," Iolaus said. "I'm talking the talk, I'm cooking the food, and I'm not fucking them, if that's what you mean." Did he have to make it sound so dirty? I needed a bath. "You're just crabby because you're not used to getting so tired. I don't know why you chose that old, worn-out one, anyway," said Iolaus. He didn't seem particularly upset. "I thought for sure you'd take Iphicles." Falafel snorted. "Every time I tried, he woke up. Dawn was coming, what else could I do? I wasn't going to take the thief." "Why do you hate Auto so much? I think he's kind of charming, in his own--" "Shh." A little movement to one side of me, in the spot where Autolycus had been lying the night before. "What're you two looking at?" he asked Falafel and Iolaus. His voice seemed loud and echoey after the others' hushed tones. But it gave me a good enough excuse to open my eyes and pretend I hadn't been awake a moment before. "The torches are okay?" I asked. Iolaus looked hard at Falafel, and then looked down at our supplies. "Sure, they're fine." "Okay, then," I said, trying to sound natural. "I guess we should eat something and get going, since we're all awake." It wasn't easy--sounding natural, that is. Because my brain was busy screaming out, "That's not Falafel." Weird, huh? But if that's not bad enough, take it to the logical conclusion: that's not Iolaus. Then who the fuck did I sleep with? Autolycus studied the map while Falafel glowered at each of us in turn, and Iolaus seemed a little subdued. No whistling, winking or suggestive comments. But hey, it was still early. I tried to pair myself up with Autolycus somehow for the day's hike. I didn't really know him, but judging by the way the other two were talking, at least he really was still Autolycus. I tried to figure out some way to broach the subject to him. "Something's taken over Iolaus' and Falafel's bodies and I think they're taking us somewhere so that other ones can get us, too." Yeah, that'd be smooth. But it didn't matter, because Autolycus clung to the walls like a fresco. When he finally did meet my eyes, he turned away so fast I thought maybe he heard a body-stealing monster behind us or something. By then a huge crevasse came up to distract us. According to the map, it looked like it would be a hop, skip and a jump to the "treasure" once we'd scrambled down that whopping hole in the earth. I watched Falafel fasten a vine to a stalagmite and play its length out down the hole. "I'll go," he said, with his accent. And just like that, he was gone, vanished down a disproportionately scary crack in the ground. In the dark, no less, since the only one adept at one-handed rope tricks was Autolycus. "And bring that light down," he commanded, just as I thought it. I found it mildly comforting that he couldn't see in the dark any better than me. Autolycus disappeared over the edge, still not looking at me. Iolaus held a second torch that he'd extinguish for his own climb once the light was firmly situated below us. I stopped breathing for a second, wondering how I was supposed to react to Iolaus-who-wasn't-Iolaus once we were alone together. Unless I could figure out how to handle him, I was positive he'd know that I was on to him. Should I flirt? Act embarrassed? Fuck, I had no idea. Like it wouldn't have been awkward enough to sleep with Iolaus; I had to go and fuck Not-Iolaus. "Listen," I said, "about last night...." The Fates must have been smiling at me, because Iolaus jumped in to fill my pained pause. "Don't worry," he said, placing his index finger over his lips like he was shushing himself. "Mum's the word." My relief was palpable enough to convince him that I didn't know. Heck, it almost convinced me. "Okay, good." And with that I eased myself over the edge and began my descent. About halfway down a quick scuffle sounded, so minor that I normally wouldn't have thought much of it. But then Autolycus' voice rang out. "Ha-ha! Thought you could just herd me to the slaughter without a peep, did ya?" Iolaus started shimmying down the vine above me. I had no idea whether it would even hold our combined weight, but some stubborn part of me thought that I should at least hang there in the middle and block his way; it was the least I could do. I glanced up at Iolaus' approaching feet, and then down at the pair of men illuminated by the flickering torch. Light glinted off steel, Falafel's long dagger now in Autolycus' hand, point-first at Falafel's throat. "The two of you can just start climbing back up," Autolycus called out, though his eyes stayed riveted on Falafel. "The King of Thieves will not be appearing on the menu today." I stayed fixed in place while Iolaus continued to descend. "I mean it," Autolycus said, his voice sounding tighter, maybe even panicked. "Turn around or the scary one gets it." And then that scary one--er, Falafel--moved so fast it was a blur. His hand arced around and knocked that knife away so hard that I heard Autolycus' arm crunch. An image of the deer with its head half-pulped came to mind. Crap. I should've gone down there to help him. "Go on, Iphicles," Iolaus said from just above me. "It's not much farther." I slid the rest of the way down and took stock of the situation. Falafel had a knife. Iolaus had a knife. Autolycus' arm was broken, and though he still had another good arm, I doubted it would be enough to give me an edge over both Iolaus and Falafel. "Come on," Falafel barked, without pretense of an accent this time. "Hustle." Autolycus swung around and met my eyes. "At least you could tell me how you did it. You owe me that much." "I didn't do anything," said, my voice coming out overloud and defensive. "C'mon." Iolaus said, nudging me forward while Falafel propelled Autolycus with a shove. "It'll all be over shortly." "Great," I muttered, shuffling down the tunnel. I wasn't sure which was worse--that Autolycus' promising escape attempt had been cut off, or that he thought I was one of them. I looked back over my shoulder at Iolaus. "Care to tell me what's going on?" He gave a little shrug. "You'll see soon enough." I guess he was no longer smitten enough with me that I could wring any special favors out of him. I should've thought about that before I put out. We rounded a bend in the tunnel and saw golden light dancing against the cave walls, and I supposed the end really was near. I didn't hear the crackling of a fire big enough to splash light around like that, but Iolaus and Falafel herded us around the next corner before I could hypothesize what else would make that kind of light. Which is just as well. Because I never would've guessed. Three statues outlined in writhing, crackling strands of brilliant white light all strained up toward a golden apple that floated above them, just beyond their collective grasp. "Wow," said Iolaus. "I wondered what we'd look like." Autolycus edged forward, cradling his arm. "Okay, now I'm really confused." Falafel approached the blinding white light, his hands tracing around one of the figures without actually touching it. "So what do you think?" he asked Iolaus. "We use these bodies we're in to knock ours out of there and then change over?" I stared hard at him. So there wasn't someone waiting to wear my body like a new tunic? But there were three statues trapped in the apple lightning, not two. I looked harder through the shooting white light, my stomach turning over when I realized the statue in the middle was Hercules. "But what if they just get stuck, too?" said Iolaus. "I mean, it got all three of us once Discord popped out." "Ares!" Autolycus blurted out. We all swung around to look at him. His unbroken arm pointed at Falafel. "I know you." He swung around to check the three statues again and then turned his accusations toward Iolaus. "And you--you're Apollo!" Oh, right. The Olympians are among us. But the way Iolaus just tipped his head--regal, more regal than I've ever been able to do it even after months upon months of boring state functions--is what chilled me to the bone. "And you," Autolycus went on, pointing now at me. He peeked over his shoulder and checked the figures again. "Ah...the apple?" Falafel rolled his eyes. "Quit spouting nonsense and go in there and free me." "Don't count on it," said Autolycus. Cocky, for having one shattered arm. "Mortal bodies and lightning don't mix very well." Falafel--um, Ares--loomed closer to him. "I didn't say you had a choice." "Now hold on," said Iolaus. Er, Apollo. He linked his arm through Ares' and studied the three trapped figures. "No need to ruin everything by being too hasty." Ares glowered at him, at me, and especially at Autolycus. But he waited to see what Apollo wanted to do. "That's Hera's apple so it must be her magic. Who else would be strong enough to hold both of us?" Falafel grunted. "And Hercules." "And Hercules," Apollo agreed. Watching Iolaus' mouth form Hercules' name without any particular emotion behind it was downright spooky. "And so she trapped Discord in there," Ares went on, piecing the whole thing together. "But Discord put her spirit in a mortal girl to lure someone here to get her out. Someone strong." Apollo nodded. "And when we came to get the apple--bam! It got us, too." We all stared at the blinding light show for a while. It seemed so obvious to me what they needed to do, but I assumed that since the idea was mine, it must be useless. Still, we all stared until my eyes started tearing up, and no one said anything. Until finally I was tired of making my eyes hurt. "So you've got to get rid of the apple," I said. All three of the others turned and stared at me. "I mean, Hera's magic apple must be connected to her power, right?" Ares took a step towards me "That 'magic apple' is the last fruit from the Tree of Life, which your brother stood by and watched Callisto burn to ashes. It's not some trinket to wantonly destroy." I considered defending Hercules. How was he supposed to put out a massive, god-fueled fire without any water? But I looked into Ares' gaze behind Falafel's eyes and decided I wasn't feeling suicidal. I just shrugged. But Autolycus seemed a lot more relaxed without Ares breathing down his neck. He stroked his chin as he continued to stare at the spectacle. "What if you just...moved it a little? It is forming a perfect pyramid, hovering above the three of you just like that." "Go on," said Apollo. "You know," explained Autolycus. "Knock it off its axis." "That does seem safer than trying to touch it and getting pulled in," Apollo said, nodding. Ares grabbed Autolycus by his broken arm. Autolycus cringed, but kept whatever sound he'd almost made trapped between clenched teeth. "Do not harm it. Am I clear?" "Crystal." Autolycus took a few trembling breaths once Ares released him, and then started rummaging around one-handed in his pack.. "Ah ha!" he cried a moment later, holding up a large, ripe tomato. "Golden apple, meet love apple!" He circled the trio of lightning-wrapped figures slowly, tilting his head this way and that. "Okay, Iphicles, if that even is you in there. Stand opposite me and get ready to catch it." "The tomato?" I said. Apollo put his hand on my arm. "Seriously," he whispered. "The Apple of the Hesperides is priceless." "Oh." It was almost comical the way Autolycus poked his tongue out to make that throw. Almost. Except that his other arm was hanging funny at his side. And my old pal Falafel looked like he wanted to break every other bone in Autolycus' body. And my brother stood frozen between us with miniature lightnings crackling all around him. And I'd just slept with Iolaus, who wasn't even Iolaus. "Batter up," Autolycus cried, flinging the tomato. I'd thought for sure he was going to try something shady--maybe nail Ares in the face while I subdued Apollo. But no, that tomato hit the last Apple of the Hesperides with a splat that made the whole world lurch. I corrected my course--I'd been easing toward Apollo, you see--and grabbed at the Apple. It flew from my grasp, slippery and hard. I grabbed again, and almost had it. One more grab, landing me right on my stomach, and I had the golden prize clutched between my slimy, seedy hands. Sparks flew all around me, flashes of crazy colored light popping up everywhere, and once the dust settled, Apollo, Ares and Hercules were made of flesh and blood instead of lightning. "Here," said Apollo with a winning smile, crouching beside my head. Whoa. I'd slept with him? I'd need a few minutes to remember how to breathe. "Give it to me." "Oh no." Ares strode out from behind a bewildered-looking Falafel, utterly massive in head-to-toe studded black leather. He flanked me from the opposite side. "Give it to me." And directly in front of me, Hercules' calm eyes met mine as he extended his hand. He's my brother. He didn't have to ask. I reached just a little farther and pressed the cool apple into his palm. Even over Ares' angry roar, I heard Apollo give an irritated, "Tch." He shook his head over me as he stood up. "Such a disappointment." "We can take him," said Ares, falling into a defensive crouch as Hercules backed up a couple of steps. "Get real," Apollo sighed. "He'd destroy the thing before he gave it to you." Ares pivoted to face Apollo. "Would it kill you to back me up just this once?" "Sorry, bro. I don't play on the losing team." He glanced down at me like I was something he'd just scraped off his shoe, and then tossed his hair into a more-perfect tumble of blond waves and crossed his arms. Brilliant blue-white lights sparkled around him, and he was gone. Meanwhile, Iolaus advanced to Hercules' side, brandishing a torch like he meant business. That's the real Iolaus for you, willing to fight a god with a greasy stick if it'll help his best friend out. "Apollo's right, you know," said Hercules. "One step closer and this thing is applesauce." Ares' eyes flickered from the apple to Hercules' eyes as if to try and call his bluff. He gritted his teeth and made his choice. "If I can't have it, then no one can," he cried, lunging for Hercules. He was quick, but Hercules was quicker. A flex of Hercules' fingers, and the last Apple of the Hesperides was no more. Ares stared at the ruined apple, mouth working. After some while, he managed to find words. "This...is not over." A column of red flame enveloped Ares and then flickered out, leaving nothing behind but a bad memory. "Well, well, well," Autolycus said, clapping me on the shoulder as he joined me at the trireme's bow. His arm was none the worse for wear once he'd eaten what we could scrape together of the Applesauce of the Hesperides. "Looks like I'll be received in Corinth as a hero and not a criminal." I shrugged and stared out over the waves. "I always knew you didn't kill Hercules." "I think you know a lot more than you let on," said Autolycus, leaning on the rail beside me. "When exactly did you figure out that Iolaus and Falafel weren't who they seemed to be?" "I was never entirely sure," I hedged, trying to avoid letting him know that it took two overheard conversations and a naked tumble before I'd actually caught on. "But they did seem to be acting funny after that very first night." Autolycus smoothed his mustache and nodded. "But what impressed me the most was the way you caught 'em off guard--playing dumb, following Apollo around with that cow-eyed look. You almost had me fooled, too." I nodded, and hoped he'd attribute my burning cheeks to the brisk sea air.   Please post a comment on this story. Read posted comments.