Delphi, The Hercules the Legendary Journeys Fan Fiction Archive

 

Surprising Sacrifices


by Margui





Surprising Sacrifices

The Tyrant King?" Iolaus argued as he and his partner, Hercules walked along the well-traveled path to Helleconium. "I can't believe you talked me into helping the Tyrant King."

"Well, technically," Hercules began.

Iolaus always hated it when Hercules began a sentence with `technically', because it generally meant that Hercules had some insignificant point to make and consequently, Iolaus was going to lose the argument.

Hercules continued, "You're not going to be helping King Apallius since he's dead. You'll be helping his son, Telus, the legitimate heir to the throne."

Paranoid, King Apallius had always expected an attempt on his life, but he had expected his son, Telus to commit the vile act. The King and Prince were of two different minds when it came to running the kingdom. As such, Apallius relaxed his defenses when Telus was called to fight a sudden skirmish on the edge of his kingdom.

In a desperate attempt to usurp the throne, Apallius was killed in a savage assassination by Donellus, the King's minister. Donellus carefully orchestrated the attack and waited until Telus was called away to duty before leading an attempt on the Tyrant King.

In Telus' absence, the Crown Prince's sergeant-at-arms, Pelagon, rose an offensive and gathered troops loyal to Telus to fight Donellus' attempt to usurp the throne.

Pelagon quickly sent word to Telus at the front.

Telus heard word of his father's murder and the resulting chaos within his castle shortly after he arrived. He knew he could never make it back in time to stop the bloodbath that would surely ensue by the two very divergent groups, so he enlisted the help of Hercules.

Signing a royal scroll and then sealing it, he sent his best runner out to seek the demigod. Hercules was closer to his kingdom than Telus and he hoped the demigod could contain the fighting until he could get there and take the throne.

When the runner caught up to the demigod and his partner, Hercules felt obliged to help. Unlike Apallius, Hercules knew Telus to be a good man. Convincing Iolaus to help was going to be more difficult. Hercules knew Iolaus would have to give up a weeks worth of fishing in order to aid the rightful King.

Iolaus openly begrudged having to put his fishing trip on hold, but accompanied Hercules to the kingdom of Helleconium.

In addition to the demigod and his partner, someone else heard about the demise of the Tyrant King and was traveling to Helleconium as well. In fact, Autolycus, the King of Thieves' mouth almost salivated with the news. King Apallius' castle was one of few the thief had yet to rob.

Autolycus had left the castle alone, mainly because he had heard of the reputation of the reigning King, Apallius. Once Autolycus had heard of his death and the resulting melee, the thief felt inclined to help - to help himself to the King's treasure, that was.

The King of Thieves knew it was risky business to rob from a castle in the middle of a war, but a lackluster season of thievery left Autolycus itching for a challenge. Besides, the spoils of war usually went to despicable brutes like looters and pirates. He decided the time was about due for a suave and sophisticated thief like himself to escape with the pillage.

The castle was hardly bursting with battles in the courtyard when the thief arrived, and he wondered if the stories he had heard of Apallius' demise were true. But it was in the wee hours of the morning, and perhaps even toothless, malodorous soldiers had to get their beauty sleep sometime. With his lock pick in one hand, Autolycus entered the castle's perimeter. Autolycus soon found out that the war that was absent in the courtyard was raging on the inside.

Autolycus happened into a small skirmish as he made his way to the vault. The warring soldiers were fighting a battle in the middle of a long, narrow hallway. They did not seem to notice the interloping thief as Autolycus made his way toward the coffers. Both insults and arrows were flying between the two factions as one set of combatants retreated into the corridor that happened to run perpendicular to the hallway Autolycus was sneaking through.

Autolycus stopped in the middle of the intersection; frozen and hoping the soldiers were too busy to notice his stealthy creeping. When it was clear all that was on the minds of the men were to obliterate their opponent, Autolycus carefully tiptoed his way across the junction.

After a quick assessment of the simple lock and an unconcerned laugh immediately following the appraisal, Autolycus was inside the vault.

Autolycus could see that the vault served a dual function. Off to one side was the armory. It was a wall full of swords, long bows and other battle accouterments. The other side served as a safe for all of the King's valuable artifacts.

Once inside, the thief took his time to gather only the most valuable pieces. A tiny path was etched between coffers of gold and jewels. On top of an overflowing chest, Autolycus picked up a bejeweled gauntlet, "Talk about ruling with an iron fist," he said turning the gauntlet over in his hands. Each one of the knuckles was adorned with a large faceted stone. He threw the gauntlet down when he realized it would be too heavy and too hard to conceal.

He continued to survey the room. Finally, the thief's eyes rested on a treasure chest full of gold coins, rings, bracelets, and other portable finery. His hands dug deep into the chest marveling at what wonders he would pull out.

Selecting the most precious stones and the rarest of jewels, Autolycus began stuffing them into every hidden pocket and compartment that he had, and the thief had many.

He was about to leave the King's vault when he noticed something shining out of the corner of his eye. Autolycus had spotted the Helleconium Corundum. The unremarkable brown stone had several remarkable rubies and sapphires embedded in it. Mesmerized, Autolycus quickly dropped the gold coins he had in his grip and walked over to the rock.

The Helleconium Corundum was affixed to a pedestal with an iron cage around it. Securing the cage was a contraption Autolycus recognized as a combination lock.

Combination locks could not be opened by his usual convention, a lock pick. Instead, they were opened by a series of number combinations, usually three. Autolycus thought about what set of numbers might be used. Finally deciding, the thief turned the dial to the left to the number 36. Then he turned the dial to the right to the number 24. Finally, the thief turned the dial back to the left and stopped on the number 36. He pulled the lock down and then smiled as it opened.

After opening the metal door, he reached into the cage and quickly removed the rock. Then he pulled his tunic open to reveal one more secret compartment. Finding it full of gold rings and smaller gems, Autolycus dropped the finery in exchange for the jeweled rock.

Deciding he had spent enough time in the vault, Autolycus picked up his step and retreated from the small, secured room.

Hercules and Iolaus arrived at the perimeter of the castle in early morning when the lavender twilight of night was relinquishing its hold and succumbing to the bright light of day. Even in this earliest part of the day, the guards that were normally positioned on the turret and at the gate were no where to be found. The outside of the palace was quiet - deadly quiet.

"Should we just go in?" Iolaus asked pondering.

Hercules tried the iron gate. It was locked. The demigod inspected the lock and realized that to unlock it, it could only be opened by a key.

"Where is Autolycus when you really need him?" Iolaus questioned with a patronizing laugh.

"It's clear that someone wanted to keep the perimeter secure," Hercules added as he looked up to the newly installed barbed wire fence. The fence kept any sane intruder from scaling the wall.

"Donellus? To keep Telus out?" Iolaus questioned.

"Or to keep the King's guards inside, and ensure the overthrow is complete," Hercules continued.

Of course, Donellus was not counting on Telus seeking the aid of the powerful demigod. Reaching for the gate, Hercules grabbed two of the iron rungs and pulled the gate up and out of its mortared hinges.

Pieces of the rock wall tumbled to the ground as Hercules carefully set the gate down next to the stoned partition. He gave Iolaus a shrug and announced, "That was easy."

"Show off," Iolaus snorted with amusement.

Hercules walked into the quadrangle of the palatial estate, followed closely by Iolaus. They began to follow a path leading toward a side entry door.

As Hercules reached for the latch to the entrance at the side, two soldiers burst through the wooden door. Iolaus and Hercules quickly jumped out of their way. Both men had broad swords in their hands and were skilled at using them. As one man parried a downward thrust with his sword, he forced the other soldier's sword up, hoping to make an offensive move. Hercules took the opportunity to grab the arm of each soldier, thereby halting their attack.

Surprised by the strength of the demigod, the shocked look on the men's face soon turned into blank expressions as Hercules pushed the armed men into each other. Their unprotected heads crashed together in a resounding thud and they fell to the ground in unconsciousness.

Hercules looked down at his handiwork and announced, "That was easy. Shall we go inside?"

Iolaus quickly stepped over the two unconscious bodies as he regarded the two men. Both were dressed in the same royal garb. From the outside, it was difficult to tell them apart. "Herc, how are we going to tell the bad guys from the good guys?" he asked as he walked into the castle using the side entry.

"Good question," Hercules answered, "Tell you what. If they raise a sword or shoot at you, you have my permission to bring them down."

"Gee, thanks Herc," Iolaus responded in mock relief.

Hercules looked around the small mudroom that was flanked by a long, dark corridor. The gallery eventually led into the greater rooms of the castle, and ran the length of the estate, basically splitting it into two halves. The front of the estate was normally occupied by the royal family, while the back of the estate was reserved for staff. "First thing we need to do is find Telus' sergeant-at-arms, Pelagon," Hercules announced.

"Are you sure we can trust him?" Iolaus asked.

Hercules shrugged his shoulders slightly and said, "There's one way to find out." Confidently, the demigod set off toward the dark hallway.

They proceeded down the hallway, close to the wall. By flanking the cross wall of the hallway, their chance of being hit by an opponent's arrow was minimized. Hercules took the lead, and Iolaus followed. The hunter's sword was out in front of him in a defensive but ready posture.

Suddenly they heard a scuffle, the clashing sound of metal on metal, and then a garbled moan at the end of the gallery. Both Hercules and Iolaus ran toward the battle.

As they entered the great room, Hercules turned to see a guard he knew as Batram slumped against the wall at the edge of the corridor, cut and bleeding. Another guard, dressed in the same uniform was seen fleeing the scene.

"Batram," Hercules called as he bent toward the downed soldier. He was a friend to Pelagon, but the demigod realized he had arrived too late. The blank stare and growing red stain on the guard's chest told the story of a mortal wound.

Iolaus stopped momentarily looking toward the guard. His focus then shifted toward the soldier that had fled the scene. Quickly realizing he could be of no help to the dead guard, Iolaus, without regard to his safety, chased the warrior through the great room and into another gallery.

The guard that shot Batram was being dogged by the compact, blonde warrior. He continued to run, trying to escape from the persistent blonde but Iolaus continued to keep pace.

Annoyed, but bent on retaliation, the guard turned abruptly and led Iolaus down another gallery. The short corridor led to a dead end.

The guard, having a significant lead on the blonde, hid in a small room along the gallery and allowed Iolaus to rush past him.

Iolaus practically slid to a halt at the end of the hallway and quickly turned around. He drew his sword in a defensive posture. Iolaus understood what the soldier had planned to do. He was trapped at a dead end, with no where to go.

Knowing and relishing the battle, the guard stepped out of the room and moved deliberately and menacingly toward the blonde.

Autolycus was leaving the vault and cautiously opened the door to no more than a sliver. He checked the status of the hallway to assure himself it was safe to leave. As he did, he saw the guard advancing, but from his vantage point could not see Iolaus. He quietly closed the door. His escape was halted and he winced in silent objection as he heard the ruckus commence outside the vault.

The clanging of a sword on sword duel soon assaulted his ears. He waited, pacing impatiently for the sound of the battle between the two opposing factions to end.

Suddenly, the corridor was quiet. Autolycus hesitated a moment longer and then opened the door once again assessing if it was safe to leave.

He could not see Iolaus bent over the unconscious guard but he could hear footsteps coming toward the hallway. Instead of closing the door, the thief left it open to just a crack to see who and what the footsteps would bring.

The sound of the battle between Iolaus and the guard reverberated in the next hallway. There Millis, an expert archer and loyal follower to Donellus had handily picked off two men fighting for Telus. The melee was well in hand by his coalition, so Donellus beckoned the archer to leave the battle to lend his skill to another one. Bow and arrow ready, Millis set out to help his comrade in the adjacent hall.

When he arrived, he saw his younger brother, Acton slumped against the wall and a blonde warrior bending over his lifeless body.

His mind flashed to the day his brother entered the Tyrant King's service. He had promised his mother that he would take care of the young warrior. Seeing his brother unmoving against the wall, Millis raised his bow. He had failed in his promise. Anger consuming him, he wanted only vengeance for the perceived death of his brother, nothing more.

Iolaus was suddenly vigilant that he was not alone in the corridor. He pulled himself up and turned around to face the poised archer and his executioner. He knew he could not beat the speed of the projectile, but hoped a brazen attack would fluster the marksman enough to botch his aim. Since he was not able to retreat in the small corridor, the only direction the blonde could move was forward, so he charged toward the archer, a roar escaping his throat as he proceeded.

As Iolaus advanced toward the soldier, the door to the vault sprung open and Autolycus rushed out. In the process, the bigger thief practically mowed down the smaller hunter.

Iolaus fell. The sword he carried out in front of him crashed to the stone-covered floor with a metallic crash. It traveled several feet from the downed warrior before coming to rest next to the wall.

Autolycus also fell, close to Iolaus, hampering the hunter's frantic scramble to retrieve his weapon. Getting up, and quickly and agilely jumping over the thief, Iolaus managed to grab his sword just in time. He thrust it upward toward the soldier's midsection seconds before he had the chance to shoot another arrow.

The guard looked down at the sword and then up at the face of Iolaus. The regretful countenance on Iolaus' face was the last thing the guard saw before he dropped to his knees and then fell dead to the ground.

Iolaus pulled his sword out from the dead guard's body and looked back toward the thief, who was still lying on the ground. "You can get up, Autolycus," Iolaus announced derisively.

The thief barely moved, but instead moaned almost inaudibly.

"Autolycus?" Iolaus asked and walked over to the thief. A stream of blood began to pool on the ground next the thief's torso.

Bile suddenly crept up into the hunter's throat.

Iolaus bent down and gingerly turned the thief over. A red stain continued to spread across the thief's green tunic.

Autolycus was fighting for every labored breath. The dark, panicked eyes of the thief stared up at Iolaus as he tried to remain calm. It was a tough task as the pressure in his chest continued to grow with each successive breath. A trickle of frothy blood escaped out of his mouth as he tried to speak. The thief couldn't find enough air to make a sound, except for a sick and labored, raspy cough.

Iolaus looked at the wound to the thief's side. The arrow had entered through the thorax just below the seventh rib on his left. Once Autolycus fell, the arrow shattered close to the puncture, causing further injury within his chest cavity and creating a sucking wound to the chest. His lung had most likely been punctured and subsequently, blood was filling the lung instead of precious air. Without help, Autolycus would drown in his own blood.

The hunter's concern was renewed. He had seen many soldiers die from such a catastrophic wound.

Judging the entry of the arrow, Iolaus came to realize the archers aim was true, and the skilled marksman had not become rattled by the hunter's charge. For the shorter man, the shaft would have pierced straight through the heart. Iolaus realized that Autolycus had saved his life by pushing him down. As a result, the King of Thieves took the arrow that was meant for Iolaus.

"Autolycus, what did you do?" he questioned to himself out loud.

Autolycus licked the metallic taste of blood from his lips and tried to smile as the thief rasped in response, "Couldn't help myself..." but the thief choked on the words as he coughed up more blood, "...better...me."

With a jittery hand, Autolycus reached into his tunic and withdrew the Helleconium Corundum. It tumbled out of his hand and onto the floor as the thief was overcome by a spasm of coughing.

Iolaus watched the jeweled rock roll away. It was clear the thief had robbed the vault of Apallius, not an unexpected feat for the greedy thief.

"Autolycus, don't you know you can get killed stealing from the Tyrant King," Iolaus commented quietly.

The irony of the statement was not lost on Iolaus. The thief was pale and breathing shallowly. Autolycus could very well die, even if it was not from illegally plundering the King's treasures, but as a result of an uncharacteristically heroic act. Iolaus still couldn't believe Autolycus risked his life for his own.

He concentrated on calming the thief's cough. Iolaus took off his vest and balled it under the thief`s neck, elevating his head.

"Leave me. Too dangerous," Autolycus rasped when the coughing subsided.

"Now's not the time to be noble, Autolycus. I'm not going to leave you," Iolaus admonished, placing a light hand on his chest.

With increasing concern over Autolycus, Iolaus didn't hear the sound of two sets of footsteps in the hallway. Hercules walked up the hall with a soldier at his side.

"Autolycus?" Hercules questioned in surprise as he saw the downed thief and his partner kneeling by his side, "What happened?"

Iolaus looked toward Hercules and the stranger that accompanied him. The soldier quickly slid off his helmet. Unmasked from the sweat-soaked head covering was a silver-haired man with a kind face. He showed obvious concern for the fallen thief as he looked down toward Autolycus.

"This is Pelagon, Telus` sergeant-at-arms," Hercules announced.

Iolaus was relieved to see the demigod. Sighing deeply Iolaus ran his fingers through his blonde, tousled hair. He answered the demigod's question with a mixture of irritation and concern that also showed on the furrows of his brow, "Autolycus saved my life. The dang fool jumped in front of an arrow that was meant for me."

"Autolycus? The King of Thieves? That Autolycus?" Pelagon asked, having heard about the reputation of the famous thief.

"Yeah, that Autolycus," Hercules announced, not aware of the thief's purloining exploits inside the castle.

Iolaus, suddenly cognizant of the jeweled rock that had tumbled from the thief's hand, hastily picked it up and secured it behind his back.

Intolerant of his nefarious stealing, Iolaus would have normally been quick to call him on it, but with the thief having just saved his life and wounded as a result, Iolaus suddenly wanted to protect Autolycus from incrimination.

He got up and walked toward the demigod, adeptly slipping the Helleconium Corundum into a pouch hung from his belt. In a quiet voice Iolaus announced, "Herc, he's bleeding bad. We should try to stop the bleeding before we move him."

"No, we should get him to the makeshift hospital. It is not safe here," Pelagon announced. "Donellus' forces control the back of the castle. We control the front, but fighting still continues in the central halls."

"How far is the hospital?" Hercules asked.

"Not far," Pelagon answered as he pointed the way for Hercules and Iolaus.

"Iolaus, help me with Autolycus," Hercules requested.

By then, Autolycus began drifting in and out of consciousness. Iolaus shook the thief awake, in part to keep him from going into shock and in part, to assure the blonde that he was still alive. Iolaus put a reassuring hand on the thief's shoulder as he spoke, "Autolycus, we're going to take you to a healer."

"Better hurry," Autolycus slurred in a feeble attempt at humor. Iolaus frowned in response.

Autolycus stifled a moan as Hercules carefully pulled the thief up and onto his shoulders believing he would be able to travel to the makeshift hospital faster than if both he and Iolaus carried the thief.

Following closely behind Hercules, Iolaus said, "I swear, Herc. You should have seen him. It was either the stupidest or the bravest thing I`ve ever seen him do."

"Yep, that`s Autolycus," Hercules agreed having seen first hand some of the selfish and selfless acts perpetrated by the thief.

"I must warn you," Pelagon advised as he continued down the hallway, "The hospital is very primitive. We have no healer, and the first aid is being performed by the soldiers."

"Pelagon, he needs a healer," Iolaus answered with renewed concern.

"And so do many of the other men, but the healer is working for Donellus' side. It's the best we can do, I'm afraid," Pelagon concluded stopping in the hallway. He opened the double-hung, heavy wooden door to the hospital.

The expansive room was filled with one large table. It was clear that the makeshift hospital was once the dining hall. Around the wall, soldiers reclined in the dining chairs. Chairs had also been pushed together to form small settees for soldiers to rest. The large table served as a pallet for the wounded men too ill to sit. Iolaus surveyed the room. Blood soaked rags littered the floor and the smell of rotten and decaying flesh assaulted his senses.

As best he could, Pelagon tried to create an atmosphere that was more conducive to healing. He had laid linens over the table and provided woolen blankets for the patients. But their supplies quickly ran low. The linens became soiled with blood and the blankets had to be torn and used as packing for the various punctures and lacerations suffered by the soldiers.

Hercules laid Autolycus at the first available space on the table. The thief moaned in pain as another coughing spasm hit him.

Seeing the new patient enter the room, one soldier known by the name of Craetus and acting as the primary medical attendant, immediately came over to offer his assistance. Iolaus turned him away. "No, we'll take care of him," he said.

Hercules was surprised that Iolaus refused help for the injured thief. He then saw the worried countenance on the face of his best friend. As grave as the accident appeared to be, Hercules couldn't help but feel a sense of relief that it was Autolycus and not Iolaus that had been injured.

"Herc," Iolaus asked, "do you think you can remove the arrow? The shaft broke off when Autolycus fell." Iolaus opened the thief's tunic to reveal the puncture wound and the remnants of the shaft embedded in his muscle, cartilage and lung.

Anticipating the two strangers' needs, Craetus brought an herbal antiseptic and strips of blanket to pack and bind the wound. Iolaus grudgingly accepted them. Glancing at the wound, the attendant knew if the arrow remained inside, the patient would quickly strangle on his own blood, but he also understood the danger of bleeding out was very real once the arrow was removed. Either way, the man could die.

Hercules assessed that was not much left of the arrow for him to grasp. In fact, blood continued to flow around the entrance of the wound, making removal of the arrow even more precarious. For Hercules to be effective in removing the shaft, he needed to ensure he had a firm grip. Grabbing a woolen strip from Iolaus, he wrapped it around the palm of his hand.

"Hold him down, Iolaus," Hercules requested. He knew the violent tug on the shaft would be agony for the thief and could produce even more damage if Autolycus wasn't properly restrained.

Iolaus used his upper body as leverage to keep Autolycus firm. The thief was awake, but his senses were dulled by his difficult breathing and obvious pain. His ragged breathing reminded Iolaus of his sacrifice every time he inhaled.

Iolaus looked at Hercules as the demigod prepared to remove the arrow. Hercules displayed a confident demeanor that Iolaus somehow could not feel. But then again, Autolycus didn't risk his life for the demigod. He risked it for Iolaus: the man the thief once left to pay for his crime of theft, to whom the thief's impertinence was evident with every insult and barb Autolycus could dish out, and to whom there was a mutual cynicism.

The hunter had no doubt that Hercules would have given his life for Iolaus, and the hunter would have done the same for the demigod. They were partners and best friends, and they watched each other's backs. But the relationship between Autolycus and Iolaus was tenuous at best. Did Autolycus really think Iolaus was better than the thief? His actions would have never allowed Iolaus to believe it, until the thief took the arrow that was meant for him.

Autolycus had proven on more than one occasion that he could be trusted to do the right thing. Autolycus was not above sacrifice. Iolaus remembered him willing to sacrifice his freedom to clear Iolaus' name. He sacrificed the love of a woman, so that she could love another. And how many times had he sacrificed his pride to help Hercules and Iolaus.

Iolaus turned away, unwilling to watch as Hercules wrapped his massive palm around the arrow's shaft and gave it a swift, mighty tug.

Even with Iolaus' muscular body holding Autolycus firm, the semi-conscious thief arched his back in raw torture and produced a strangled scream before collapsing to the table unconscious and finally free from the pain.

Blood from the puncture wound was now flowing freely in rivulets down the thief's side. Iolaus was ready with the woolen rags and quickly packed the wound, trying his best not to let another drop of blood fall to the floor. To spite the horrific pain Autolycus endured, in that moment Iolaus would have traded places with the thief.

The only thing left to do was to wait. But Iolaus was going to have to do that alone.

"Hercules," Pelagon beckoned hating to disturb the demigod and his worried friend, but feeling the urgency nonetheless. "We'd like to get your idea`s behind fortifying the western gallery."

"Of course, Pelagon." Hercules said as he wiped the thief's blood off of his hands. He was glad for the distraction, as he too worried for Autolycus' life. Hercules turned to Iolaus and asked, "Will you be okay?"

"Yeah, sure, of course," Iolaus responded as he waved Hercules away. His thoughts were still on the unconscious thief.

Wanting to comfort his worried friend, Hercules put a reassuring hand on his partner`s shoulder. "Iolaus, you can't blame yourself for this. Autolycus will pull through. You know he`s way too stubborn to die."

"I hope you're right, Herc. But right now I`d do anything to hear one of his annoying insults."

Hercules patted his shoulder in camaraderie and then walked toward Pelagon.

Hercules had left Iolaus to attend to the thief as he helped Pelagon to protect the western corridor that led to the hospital's wing. Telus' opposition had breached one barrier and had gained control of another gallery. Expecting a battle, Donellus' soldiers had stockpiled supplies and equipment and were more prepared than Telus' supporters.

As he fortified the doors that separated the gallery, Hercules hoped that Telus' would arrive soon. If the opponents breached it, the patients in the makeshift hospital would not be safe. The injured men would have to be evacuated to another room and Hercules was concerned that Autolycus was far too weak to be safely moved.

During the next couple of hours, Iolaus attended to the needs of the thief. He had repacked the dressing as the blood continued to seep from the wound. He had hoped once the arrow was out, the blood that was collecting in his lungs would be able to drain into his chest cavity and it would ease the thief's labored breathing. During those two hours, Iolaus listened and hoped that the thief would begin breathing easier.

Iolaus was content to attend to Autolycus by himself. Although well meaning, Hercules could be somewhat of a worrywart. In addition to worrying about Autolycus, Iolaus didn't need to worry about Hercules worrying about Iolaus worrying about the thief.

Still struggling to breathe, Autolycus woke up, coughing and gasping for air. What were once eyes that shined with nefarious plots and ideas were now dulled by the effects of his injury. His breath was quick and shallow. Iolaus recognized the warning signs of shock.

The thief began to shake as he pulled his arms in toward his body and wrapped them around himself to keep warm.

"Autolycus, what is it?" Iolaus asked.

Through chattering teeth, Autolycus answered, "Cold."

Iolaus began looking around the room for a spare blanket or anything he could wrap Autolycus in to keep him warm.

"Titan sitting on my chest," Autolycus rasped, now pawing at his tunic and trying to take it off in his depressed state.

Iolaus, concerned that he may have wrapped the wound's bindings too tight came over to inspect the linen wrap. Pulling the thief's tunic off once more, small coins spilled out of a secret pocket and onto the table. Iolaus, watching it tumble from his pocket, quickly palmed the loot before anyone could see the stolen bounty.

"Cold. Hurts," Autolycus rasped again as he began coughing. Pain was etched on the thief's face with each agonizing breath and cough. Choking and hacking, he rose from the table, but in his weakened state almost fell over the edge. Iolaus helped the thief to a more upright position, holding Autolycus firmly by the shoulders but not allowing the thief to sit up by himself.

Autolycus could not control his strained coughing. In between his spasms, Iolaus allowed the weakened thief's head to rest on the hunter's chest until again his body would be wracked with another bout of uncontrollable coughing. When his coughing finally eased, Autolycus noticed the bright red stain on Iolaus' patchwork vest. "Sorry. Big mess." Autolycus said through rattling teeth as he laid down and quickly curled himself into a fetal ball, trembling from the pain and shock.

"You said a mouthful, my friend," Iolaus whispered to himself, "You said a mouthful."

As independent as the thief was, he had to admit one thing; in his current state, he was vulnerable. He felt certain the only reason Iolaus would be attending to his wounds was because of some ridiculous sense of duty or honor Iolaus felt and yet Autolycus couldn`t deny the worry he saw on the hunter`s face. The thief would have tried to annoy the little hero into leaving if it weren't for the fact that at that moment, harassing him would have been impossible. At that moment, it was almost too taxing for the thief to continue breathing.

All Autolycus wanted was the hunter's respect and friendship. Sure, he berated Iolaus unmercifully, but never did he find such a worthy opponent for his taunting. The hunter could dish out insults just as good as he received them. He was a worthy opponent. Autolycus didn't want Iolaus' pity, and had worked hard in past to earn his respect, but as desperately sick as he was, he feared in the end, forbearance was all Autolycus would get from Iolaus. In the end, he would have to be content to die without his goodwill.

Concerned about his unremitting shivering, Iolaus took off his vest and laid it across the thief's chest. Soon Autolycus drifted back into unconsciousness.

Fearing Autolycus had stolen more than the Helleconium Corundum and a few coins, Iolaus quickly searched the thief's tunic for more ill-gotten gains. Once he had found the multitude of gems, gold coins, rings and baubles hidden in the various pockets, Iolaus realized he had no place to hide them. He looked around the makeshift hospital. Finally, his eyes found the stack of bloody rags next to the door. He hid the Helleconium Corundum along with the other stolen artifacts under the rags until he had the chance to return them to the vault.

What he didn't know was when he was going to get the opportunity to return them. Although he knew he should not leave Autolycus, he also knew it would be easier returning the stolen goods while the thief was still unconscious. It was going to be bad enough listening to the overbearing whining once Autolycus woke up and found out his loot was missing, that was, if Autolycus woke up.

Iolaus had just finished checking the thief's breathing, which had seemed less ragged since the coughing fit, when the door to the makeshift hospital crashed open. Hercules and Pelagon walked in. They were supporting Craetus who was obviously limping. Iolaus looked down and saw that the soldier had a large gash on his left leg.

"What happened," Iolaus asked.

"We were caught in an ambush," Hercules answered.

Pelagon spoke up. "With Hercules' help we managed to fight off Donellus' hoard and secure the gallery, but we should be prepared for another offensive," he warned.

Pelagon began rousing any soldier in the hospital that was ambulatory, asking for more volunteers. The soldiers, although many still too sick to leave, were quick to come to the aid of their sergeant-at-arms.

After getting a count of the volunteers, Pelagon turned to Hercules and said, "We will need more weapons."

"Where are they," the demigod asked as he helped Craetus onto the table next to Autolycus.

"We secured what we could in the vault," Pelagon answered, thinking it was fortunate that they had managed to secure that particular corridor earlier.

Iolaus turned around. It was a perfect opportunity to return the items Autolycus had stolen without gathering suspicion.

Hercules was about to rush out of the room when Iolaus stepped in front of him. "No Herc, I'll go," he said.

Hercules looked at Iolaus. "Are you sure?" he asked knowing his partner's concern for the King of Thieves. "Why don`t we both go?"

Iolaus looked over to Autolycus. By that time, Craetus had already taken off his tunic and was balling it up under the thief's legs to elevate them. Craetus knew his first aid. Elevating the feet eased the effects of shock by facilitating the traveling of the oxygen-starved blood to the vital organs.

"If it`s all the same to you, Herc, I need..." he stammered, "...to do this alone. You know, while Autolycus is unconscious. Craetus has things well in hand," he finished.

Still Iolaus didn't feel comfortable about leaving the thief. He feared something would happen while he was gone. "Watch Autolycus for me while I'm gone. Don't let anything happen to him."

"I'll watch him," Hercules answered glancing at the thief, but could not promise anything more.

Iolaus walked over to the pile of bloody rags where Autolycus' stolen gems were hidden. He picked them up.

"What are you doing?" Hercules asked noting the pile of dirty rags in his arms.

Iolaus hesitated again, "Just getting rid of some dirty laundry? Well, you know, while I`m out?" he questioned with a shrug of his shoulders.

As the door opened and another soldier entered the makeshift hospital, Iolaus quickly made his escape.

Although, Hercules tried to explain to Iolaus that he was not responsible for the injury to the King of Thieves, Iolaus knew otherwise. If he had not been lured into the dead end by the soldier, then the thief would not have had to make the decision to save Iolaus' life. As a result Autolycus would have never gotten injured.

Yes, Autolycus had made that fateful decision to risk his life, but in the end, it was Iolaus' mistake that brought about that sacrifice. Because of this, Iolaus knew he had to do everything to ensure the thief`s life. Especially since it appeared the King of Thieves showed more consideration to Iolaus than the hunter knew.

Not only was Iolaus worried about Autolycus haunting him from Elysium should he die, but Iolaus had to admit that he liked the thief. Autolycus would never consciously admit his admiration to Iolaus, but Iolaus would be equally hesitant to voice the reluctant camaraderie and quiet respect he felt for the insufferable thief.

Iolaus carefully made his way back to the vault. He couldn't help but hear the sound of a battle close by. At the door of the vault, the hunter dropped his armful of rags and began sifting through them finding the gems, coins and baubles that Autolycus had stolen. Now having a handful of jewels, Iolaus set about returning them to their proper place before grabbing as much weaponry as he could.

He was glad to see that Autolycus was in such a rush to leave the vault that he didn't bother with returning the combination lock to it's secured position. It still hung unlocked at its place on the cage. As his final task, Iolaus replaced the Helleconium Corundum and set the lock.

Gathering bows, arrows and swords, Iolaus headed back toward the makeshift hospital.

Pelagon could hear shouting coming from outside the makeshift hospital. The opposition would have to breach one more gallery before they reached the wing in which the hospital was located. His men had stopped Donellus' troops once before, but he didn't know how long they could continue the fight. He paced the hospital floor trying to make some tough decisions and silently wishing that Telus would arrive.

A few moments later, Pelagon could hear commotion in the hall. Then moments after that, the noise was drawing nearer. More shouting followed. The din was so loud, Pelagon feared that Donellus' forces had broken the final westernmost barrier. If they had, he knew there was no stopping them.

The uproar was almost upon them. Pelagon grabbed a sword resting against the table.

Hercules also heard the commotion. With his attention split between watching Autolycus and the battle raging outside, he stepped away from the injured thief and walked nearer to the door.

Hercules recognized something curious about the fighting. The battle that raged outside was not being fought by swords and arrows. There were no metallic clashes of sword on sword duels. He could hear shouts, but no screams of agony as arrows tore through flesh and swords sliced through limbs. It was just as well, he thought as he looked toward Autolycus. He had seen enough suffering for the day.

The shouts were getting nearer and Hercules wondered if Telus' men chose to retreat instead of fight. Or perhaps, they were the victims of another ambush. The ambush earlier took many of the soldiers by surprise.

Hercules did not want to fight, but the bloodshed that had precipitated his arrival had gone on for too long and took too many soldiers for him to stop the battles. The only one that had that power now was Telus.

Still, like Pelagon, Hercules would defend himself, if necessary. He readied himself by the door. As the commotion grew nearer, Hercules drew more tense. Then, with a caustic bang, the door to the makeshift hospital burst open. Shouting soldiers erupted from the door.

Iolaus could hear yelling and shouting as he tried to slip away from the vault. He could see a procession of soldiers walking through the hall that ran perpendicular to the coffer but they didn`t bother to enter the dead end.

"Cease hostility," one voice yelled. "The war is over! You will surrender all of your weapons! Not to do so will mean death! The new King has decreed victory! Victory for Helleconium! Victory for all!"

Iolaus began to worry. A new King did not bode well for Telus' troops. He thought about the ambush earlier. Would Pelagon's men be able to fight off another attack if Iolaus had reached them sooner with the weapons?

As the procession continued down the hall, Iolaus immediately slipped out and rushed toward the makeshift hospital, barely cognizant of the arsenal he had tucked in his arms.

Iolaus stopped at the hospital door and shifted some of the procured weaponry to his other hand. He dropped the bows and then reached for the door.

Hercules opened the door just as Iolaus` hand touched the doorknob. "Herc? You're supposed to be in there watching Autolycus. How's he doing?" Iolaus asked when he saw his partner.

"Iolaus," Hercules said, concerned by the sight of him. He hesitated as he pushed himself through the door and then shut it behind him. "Now's not a good time to go in there."

"Why?" Iolaus asked as he suddenly felt the nausea rise in his stomach. The fact that Hercules did not want Iolaus to go into the hospital could not be good. He immediately believed it was because Autolycus had succumbed to his injuries. "How's Autolycus?" the hunter reiterated.

"Iolaus, Autolycus is gone." Hercules announced solemnly.

"What do you mean he's gone?" Iolaus asked as his voice rose in pitch. "You were supposed to watch out for him," he said as he moved toward the door.

Hercules could see he wasn't going to be able to stop his friend by standing in the way. The demigod put his hand on Iolaus' shoulder in entreaty for him to stay.

"We did everything we knew to save his life. It just wasn't enough."

Iolaus already had his hand on the doorknob but stopped. He lowered his head in resolution, "What happen?" Iolaus asked quietly.

"I'm not sure. I guess fighting for every breath was just too much for him."

Hercules didn't want to add to Iolaus' grief by explaining what had taken place before Autolycus had expired.

Telus had convinced the neighboring kingdom he was sent to fight that it would be in their best interest to lend him an army to fight the usurper to his throne. The reigning King agreed and a day after he had sent a runner to seek the demigod's aid, he had a well equipped militia to defend his crown. As he marched into his castle, Donellus' toadies quickly surrendered. They easily saw they were outmatched.

The commotion in the makeshift hospital was Telus and his well fortified entourage. He burst into the room, ensuring everyone in the hospital that the battle for the castle was over.

Cheers had erupted from the occupants of the room, and as a result the demigod could barely hear the thief's plaintive croaks that he couldn't breath. Craetus immediately rushed to Autolycus, elevating his chest and head to help him breathe. The thief could only gasp in distress and panic.

Autolycus looked around the room for Iolaus. When he couldn't find him, the thief forced what little air he had from his lungs. "Iolaus, confession. Tell before I die," Autolycus said as he grabbed the demigod's vest in entreaty. He was too weak to sit up on his own so Craetus continued to support his head and upper body.

"Autolycus, try not to talk. Save your strength," Hercules pleaded, "I'll get Iolaus."

Autolycus fought for every last breath, but the thief's heart could no longer fight against the pressure of the fluid building up from the wound in his chest. The pressure acted like a vise, forcing his heart muscle to eventually stop beating. The tight grip Autolycus had on the demigod's vest was soon relinquished as Autolycus could no longer bear the fight. He closed his eyes and let Hades finally claim his prize.

Unlike Autolycus, Craetus was not ready to give up the fight. Stubbornly, he continued to administer to Autolycus.

As Craetus continued to work, Hercules quickly left the room to find Iolaus. He didn't want his partner to walk into the room unprepared.

"I should have been there, Herc. He got hurt because of me," Iolaus said.

"He made that choice, Iolaus." Hercules answered ineffectually.

Iolaus nodded. It still didn`t stop the fact that Autolycus was dead because of him. "You might as well step aside, Herc because you know you're not going to stop me from going in there. I`ve got to see him."

"I know," Hercules conceded. He already knew Iolaus would have to go in there. He opened the door and allowed Iolaus to walk in.

Craetus had tried everything he knew how to do, but in the end his rudimentary skills were not enough. He had resigned himself that there was nothing else he could do. He had just walked away from the dead King of Thieves when Hercules opened the door allowing Iolaus entrance.

By this time, Autolycus was cyanotic, his lips were blue from lack of oxygen and his face pale, gray and ghoulish against his dark facial hair.

Iolaus slowly advanced toward the thief as Hercules stayed close to the door, wanting to give Iolaus what little privacy he could. He understood the responsibility Iolaus felt for the injured thief.

Iolaus could barely look at the quiescent thief but knew he would miss Autolycus. He would miss the impractical schemes the thief would concoct to gain an advantage for his pilfering or to steal a useless bauble. He would miss the reluctant gratitude Autolycus would give every time Iolaus and Hercules would bail him out of trouble. Iolaus would miss the mocking laughter and hackneyed insults that masked the genuine affection he felt for the thief. And most of all, Iolaus would miss thanking Autolycus for saving his life.

But to spite his loss, Iolaus was angry. He was angry at himself for allowing it to happen and he was angry at Autolycus for giving up so easily. He wanted to hit something in his misery.

"Don't do this to me, Autolycus. You know you live to give me grief. Besides, you're too pigheaded to die."

Iolaus laughed irreverently, remembering a time when they were reluctant allies. "You remember the way you teased me by telling me Hercules was too pigheaded to get butchered after Discord turned him into a pig? You said it to be annoying, but I never told you, it helped. It made me feel better."

In frustration and anger, Iolaus thoughtlessly rammed his balled fists into the chest of the thief. "Come on, Autolycus. You can't just give up like this."

Like a jolt of electricity hitting his body, the thief responded by gasping for the precious air that had so long been denied him.

Iolaus immediately looked toward Hercules and Craetus. Both rushed to his side. Hopeful, Craetus immediately began working on restoring the thief's airway.

"What did you do?" Hercules asked.

"I did what I always wanted to do to him. I punched him," he said in chagrin, concerned but smiling as the dead thief was suddenly alive again.

Iolaus spent the next three days close to the thief's side. Once resuscitated, Autolycus was moved to a guest suite close to the infirmary.

By the end of the first day Autolycus began to breath easier and his coloring had returned but he had remained unconscious.

Craetus had to constantly remind Iolaus that it was not uncommon for someone to sleep for long periods of time when they sustained the kinds of injuries Autolycus had suffered. Still, Iolaus was used to waiting on a patient of Herculean constitution and compared Autolycus' progress by that of his partner and best friend. Iolaus was growing worried, impatient to see some results of improvement.

In the dark hours of the second day, Iolaus heard a knock on the door. He walked over and opened it. It was Pelagon.

"How is he doing?" Pelagon asked.

"He is still unconscious," Iolaus answered in a whisper, "but Craetus believes he`s going to be alright." He offered Pelagon a chair to sit down.

"That is, if his thievery is not found out. I suppose you ran into little resistance from Autolycus returning the items he had stolen back to the vault." Pelagon interjected as he sat down in the proffered chair.

"How'd you know?" Iolaus asked.

Pelagon smiled. "Hercules didn't tell you? He watched as you tried to hide the Helleconium Corundum from him. Besides, why else would Autolycus be here?" Pelagon looked toward the sleeping thief, "The reputation of the King of Thieves is well know in these parts. Although I had always heard he was somewhat of a coward."

"Yeah, coward." Iolaus answered with doubt, "I wonder if I would have risked my own life for his if the situation was reversed?

Pelagon smiled, "From the way Hercules talks about you, I have no doubt that you would. But you needn't have been so worried about your friend`s crime. Telus is not like his father, King Apallius. Still, I imagine King Telus will want an audit of his vault before the thief leaves?"

Pelagon got up from his chair, "Well, I must be getting back. Hercules asked me to check on you. He is concerned."

"It's just like Hercules to worry about me. Tell him we're both hanging in there, will you Pelagon?"

"I will. And he promises to be here just as soon as he is able." Pelagon left the room and Iolaus softly shut the door.

Hercules spent most of his time in the company of Pelagon and the King since Telus returned to his throne. Those soldiers and officials that had participated in the royal overthrow had to be dispatched in one way or another. Telus sought the demigod's counsel as to how to handle them. Depending on the severity of their involvement, some were allowed to return to their posts. Others were jailed or dismissed from service. After the melee, Telus also had to appoint loyal soldiers to new positions.

While Iolaus would have enjoyed the company of Hercules, he understood the reason Hercules could not be with him. The fact that he sent Pelagon to check on him gave Iolaus the support he needed while Autolycus was unconscious.

By the third day, Autolycus woke up. Through still bleary eyes, the thief could see Iolaus asleep on a chair in the corner of the room.

"What are you doing here?" Autolycus asked with a scratchy, weak voice. His mouth was dry and parched.

Startled by the sound, Iolaus jumped in reaction. He got out of his chair and quietly approached to thief. "How are you feeling?"

Autolycus tried to laugh, "Like Charon shipwrecked his crummy boat on my chest. That's how I'm feeling."

Iolaus picked up a cup of light broth and brought it to the thief's mouth. Autolycus hardily drained the liquid from the container. Then he rasped, "Why are you here and not with Hercules?"

"I wanted to make sure you're okay. Besides, he's busy," Iolaus began, not wanting to go through the lengthy explanation of why the demigod was not in the room.

"I see." Autolycus swallowed, "So what is the Potentate of Piousness doing? Arranging for my jail cell while you keep guard?"

Iolaus smiled, Autolycus must be feeling better. "Potentate of Piousness? I'd like to see you say that to his face," Iolaus pronounced half in jest.

"Bring him on," Autolycus said, but quickly realized that even if he was not afraid of the demigod's wrath, he was too weak to do battle with him. Choking back another coughing fit, Autolycus answered, "just not right now."

Iolaus continued, "It's okay Autolycus. Besides, it looks like the grand pooh-bah of pilfering won't be visiting the local dungeon this time around. Remarkably, King Telus completed an audit of the vault and found nothing was missing."

"He what?" Autolycus answered, thinking either the King's auditors were incompetent or; he quickly patted his tunic and realized his stolen loot was gone.

"Oh, that is so not fair," Autolycus responded disconsolate, "Talk about you adding insult to my injury." He looked away from Iolaus in mock disappointment.

After a long silence, Iolaus said, "You know you saved my life."

Autolycus turned back toward him. Generally Iolaus would never concede anything to the thief, much less that the King of Thieves was capable of doing a good deed.

Autolycus was concerned at the appreciative and smarmy tone Iolaus had taken the conversation. After all, he was used to their strained and adversarial relationship. Autolycus didn't want to mess up the status quo, unless of course, he could get something out of it.

He wondered if returning his stolen bounty was not made, in part, as an attempt to pay him back for saving Iolaus' life. Sure, he was grateful that he didn't have to spend the next thirty years in the King's hoosegow, but it hardly made up for saving Shorty`s life, especially since he got hurt.

Perhaps, Autolycus thought, the niceties that the thief was currently experiencing was the windfall of that seemingly selfless act and the responsibility Iolaus felt for his injury. "Give and you shall receive," Autolycus thought to himself, especially from a guilt-ridden patsy.

"Don't mention it," Autolycus answered trying to sound humble although genuinely not feeling that way. He gave Iolaus a weak wave of his hand.

"Why'd you do it?" Iolaus proceeded.

Autolycus smiled to himself, "Well, you know, how could I not?" he answered deceitfully.

At a lost for words, and even more disconcerted by the thief's confession, Iolaus began to fluff the pillow behind Autolycus. "How about another pillow or maybe a blanket?" he asked.

Autolycus forced a cough and answered weakly, "Well, if it's not too much trouble."

Autolycus decided to milk Iolaus' altruism for all that it was worth. He knew eventually the hunter would get tired of coddling, but while Iolaus still felt responsible for Autolycus' injuries, the thief was bound and determined to take advantage of it.

And take advantage of it he did. Not particularly happy with the usual gruel fed him, Autolycus asked Iolaus to find him something more palatable. He had the hunter fetch him ripe fruit, nectars and fresh linens every day. Particularly bored one evening, Autolycus even had Iolaus reading to him, ostensibly to lull him to sleep.

He could see that Iolaus was tiring from the constant servitude. Still, when Iolaus would give Autolycus a critical and doubtful stare, the thief soon learned all he had to do was moan or cough and Iolaus would do his bidding. Iolaus was so amenable however, even Autolycus was getting bored with the arrangement.

Several days went by and the thief was making significant progress healing. He kept this secret hidden from Iolaus as much as he could, claiming to still be too weak to walk, thereby too weak to leave.

On the tenth day, Iolaus had been gone for some time after Autolycus sent him on another trivial errand. Bored, the thief got up to stretch his legs when he heard a knock on the door.

The thief quickly jumped back into his bed, scrunching down and throwing the covers over him. "Come in," he called weakly from his bed, but the person on the other side of the door did not respond.

Autolycus heard the knock again. Each time Autolycus answered with "Come in," but nothing happened except for another successive knock.

Finally, on the fourth knock, Autolycus got tired of calling out and got up to answer the door. "For the love of Zeus," Autolycus exclaimed as he opened the door in irritation.

"Autolycus," Hercules answered from the threshold of the door, "It's good to see you're doing better. Iolaus told me you were too weak to walk. Must be a miracle. Or perhaps, Iolaus` constant attention."

Autolycus looked down at his legs and danced a couple of steps. "Why look at that. It's a miracle."

Hercules gave him a critical stare.

"Alright. Alright." Autolycus conceded. "I liked the attention. Is there any crime in that?"

Hercules stepped into the room. "There is when you take advantage of it." He advanced upon Autolycus, trying to intimidating the thief, "You think Iolaus owes you a debt of gratitude? You're not the only one that saved someone's life that night, Autolycus. You see, Iolaus saved yours."

"How?" Autolycus asked scowling as Hercules backed him up into the bed. Autolycus quickly sat down.

"You were dead, halfway to Tartarus I would imagine, before he brought you back to life."

"I died?" Autolycus asked incredulously, "He brought me back to life?"

"That's right. And now you're taking advantage of him."

Autolycus squirmed on the bed a moment. "Fine. I'll fess up." It was the thief's turn to look at Hercules critically. "Why does it not surprise me that you would destroy a mutually rewarding relationship. Do you do this to everyone you know, or are you just picking on me?"

Hercules opened his mouth to answer when Autolycus responded, "Second thought, don't answer that."

"Autolycus, if you don't tell him. I will. And if I do, it won't look pretty.

"Fine. I'll tell him. I'll tell him. Now, just get out of here, will you?" Autolycus asked clearly moping.

Iolaus arrived a few minutes later carrying a variety of meats and vegetables stacked between a loaf of bread. Autolycus specifically requested it and called it a "hoagie".

By that time, Autolycus had changed into his green and black tunic, which had been thoughtfully repaired and cleaned of the blood stains, thanks to his insistence. He had packed his haversack with his other belongings and it was laying on the bed when Iolaus arrived.

"Going somewhere?" Iolaus asked when he noticed the thief dressed and the haversack packed.

"Yeah, about that," Autolycus answered as he stood up from the bed, "Not that I didn't have my reasons, but I've been lying to you."

"You? Autolycus? Been lying to me?" Iolaus said in mock incredulity. He had been receiving progress reports from Craetus and had suspected it all along, although he could never quite catch Autolycus at faking it. Craetus had relayed his suspicions to Hercules.

"Anything else you wanted to confess?" Iolaus prompted.

"Do you know something I don't?" Autolycus suspiciously whispered as if he was caught doing something else wrong. "Alright, alright," Autolycus finally moaned, "Promise me you won't hit me when I tell you?"

He just wanted to get it over with so that Iolaus could return to his normally acrimonious demeanor, not that he didn't look angry enough as it was.

"What is it, Autolycus?" Iolaus answered perturbed.

"Okay," he said letting out a long breath, "You see, I really didn't save your life."

"What do you mean you didn`t save my life?"

"Well, I didn't exactly jump in front of the arrow for you. Well, I did jump in front of the arrow that is, but it wasn't to save your life. You see, I was trying to make a stealthy escape, but you, Mr. Shortypants had to get in the way." Autolycus went on the explain that before leaving the vault, he had slowly opened the door. He spied the archer and his steady aim. Fearing the arrow poised in the bow was meant for him, the thief decided to make an ill-conceived and cowardly run for it.

He pulled the door open, effectively blocking the archer from his intended target, Iolaus, but it was too late. The shaft had already left the bow, striking Autolycus in the chest.

"I see," Iolaus answered taking it all in. There was a veil of insincerity in the way Autolycus he told the story. After years of experience, Iolaus could tell when the thief was being deceitful. He wondered what the thief was hiding. Still the motivation of the thief really didn't matter to Iolaus. The end result was still the same; Autolycus had saved his life.

"So, basically what your telling me is that you let me wait on you hand and foot, lying about how ill you were, lying about the accident because..." Iolaus was at a loss for words.

"Well, you know," Autolycus said as he shrugged his shoulders, "You acted like you liked me.

Iolaus took a deep breath. "I like you fine, Autolycus. It's the things you do that I don't like. I stayed to help you because I wanted to and you needed me. But it's clear you`re feeling better, since you`re well enough to take advantage of a good turn," Iolaus pointed to the haversack on the bed. "I think it's time for you to leave."

"Yeah," the thief finished as he grabbed his haversack from the bed and took several steps toward the door. Suddenly he felt sorry for taking advantage of Iolaus.

As Autolycus put his hand on the doorknob, he heard Iolaus say, "Take care of yourself."

"Yeah," the thief answered as he opened the door and nodded. He turned back to face the hunter, "You too."

Iolaus watched as Autolycus left the room.

Seconds later, Hercules walked into the bedroom. He had seen Autolycus leave. "Where's Autolycus going?" Hercules asked.

"He left. It seems he wasn't as ill as he led everyone to believe."

"What a surprise," Hercules answered impressed that the thief had confessed the truth and didn't fabricate another lie.

"What?" Iolaus asked seeing the thoughtful look on his partner's face.

"Oh, nothing."

"Yeah, nothing," Iolaus responded doubtfully as he looked around the empty room. "He also said that it was an accident that he saved my life, but you know, Herc, somehow I just don't believe him."

Hercules smiled. "You know what? It doesn't matter how he saved your life. He did. You're here and Autolycus is alive. All in all, I'd say it turned out pretty good for the both of you." He nodded for the door, "Come on. Let's go. I hear there's a monster attacking virgins in Bexar."

Iolaus had spied the sandwich he had prepared for Autolycus, and was suddenly ravenous. He had taken a bite of the sandwich when Hercules walked toward the door. There was silence for a moment and Hercules looked back to Iolaus to be sure the hunter had heard him.

"No sense in letting good food go to waste." Iolaus said with a mouthful of food. "You know, Autolycus calls this a `hoagie'."

Hercules laughed, "The way it's conquering your hunger, maybe he should have called it a `hero'."

Swallowing hard, Iolaus questioned seriously. "Virgins...you say? I say, let's go."

With one hand holding the sandwich, Iolaus quickly walked out of the room. Hercules followed close behind. The demigod quietly shut the door as they left.

THE END


 
Please post a comment on this story.