The BLTS Archive - Old Time Rock and Roll by Zoinky --- Paramount owns the Star Trek Universe. But I'm pretty certain they will never allow this to happen. Also, locate a copy of Old Time Rock and Roll by Seeger. I stole the words, and the music really helps fire the imagination, especially in the second part. Those that are really caught up in canon probably should skip this one. For the rest of you, just sit back and enjoy the ride. --- Even with a computer as large as the one on the Enterprise, it was necessary from time to time to clean up the memory, delete those programs that were no longer used or early versions of active programs that had been supplanted. This month the "trash" detail had been assigned to Data. Standing outside the door to the holodeck, he reviewed the list of programs that were considered inactive. Most bore readily recognizable codes from their source of origin. These were trial programs that had served their purpose and then were forgotten. As soon as those were deleted, the list shrunk to three. Data would have to view these individually and determine their status. The first two he called up were just like the others, they had simply been miscoded. He keyed some information into the console and they were quickly dispatched. Data punched the keys ordering the computer to retrieve and display the final program. He was surprised when the computer refused to comply to his request. Curious, he thought as he punched in the maintenance override. The program initiated, the doors slipped open and Data entered the holodeck. The holodeck had been programmed with a night club stage. A single table and chair beckoned to Data. As soon as he was seated however, the holodeck filled with women. Some seated around the stage, some standing in the back, but all of them were chanting and clapping their hands, anticipating the start of the next show. Most unusual group behavior, Data thought as the house lights faded and a pin spot came up on the MC. Perhaps this program belongs to Counselor Troi, or perhaps the sociology department. "Ladies, we have a real treat for you tonight. Straight from their sell out performance on Risa, I give you the Commanders." The pinspot faded and the women around Data began to hoot and catcall. A piece of music unfamiliar to Data started playing then suddenly the stage was filled with pink light. The first character visible was Will Riker, followed by Geordi, Data himself, Captain Picard and finally Worf. They filed out onto the stage in a straight line, but there was an unusual gyration to their hips. This was apparently a close order drill Data was not familiar with. He made a mental note to contact training. Fascinated, he watched as the images spread themselves out on the stage and removed their dress uniform jackets, perhaps this is an exercise program he thought. This theory was temporarily verified as they removed their shirts while continuing to move in place. In nonholographic beings such activity would initiate an aerobic workout. Then he watched as the replica of himself moved to the front of the stage and started playing with the fastenings on his pants. From somewhere inside his positronic brain a warning circuit flared, his modesty program engaged and for the first time in his life his emotion chip permitted him to feel embarrassment. Unsure as to how to cope he called his best friend. By the time Geordi entered the holodeck, Data was staring spellbound at the stage. His emotion chip almost overloaded. When the characters had stripped down to their G-Strings several other automatic programs, most of them related to sexuality, had activated and Data was being torn between one set of emotional feedback and another. Geordi was not so conflicted. He watched in shock as the red satin pouches emblazoned with the Star Fleet logo gyrated obscenely in front of him. "Oh my God" he whispered. It was bad enough when his image had been used as a Three Musketeer, but this crossed the line of good taste by a quadrant. There was no way he could avoid reporting this. Pounding on his communicator and then screaming into it to be heard above the music he called out, "LaForge to Riker. Commander, could you come to Holodeck 3? There's something down here you need to see. Oh, and you might ask the Captain to come with you, it looks like he's involved too." Geordi stared up at the stage as the image of Picard turned around and shook his tush for the audience. "Boy is he involved." By the time Will and the Captain arrived, Geordi had added three chairs to Data's table, reset the program and was in the middle of an explanation to Data. "When we watch the program again, I want you to disengage your emotion chip. Dr. Soong intended for you to experience these feelings, but I think he meant for you to do it one at a time." As soon as the officers were seated the show began again. Riker watched Picard flinch as the loud music started. Uh-oh, Will thought, the Captain is already irritated, this doesn't bode well. Riker's concern quickly turned to anger as his image was the first one on stage. Jean-Luc Picard only permitted the program to play up to the removal of the shirts. He didn't know how far these images would go, and he didn't care. The Captain had already seen more than enough. "Commander Data, who is the author of this abomination?" "Unknown at this time Captain. The program was listed under a blind code. I could examine the programming and see if there are any clues there." "Make it so Commander. Commander LaForge, is it possible that Lt. Barclay was behind this?" "Captain, Reg has the ability to make a program this complex, and certainly he has the creativity, but watching us dance nude really isn't his style, at least I don't think it is." Will had watched the program with amusement once he got over his initial anger and he had caught some things that gave him a pretty good idea as to who the author was. However, when he realized how disturbed Picard was over the entire matter he was hesitant to pass the information on even though his duty required him to do so. "Captain," Riker interrupted with some trepidation "I noticed certain bodily differences included in this program that only would be picked up by someone who had been "close" to all five of us, or someone who had complete access to the medical data base." Picard blanched at that possibility but none the less called out, "Data, see if you can find any evidence linking this program to Dr. Crusher." Data pressed a number of buttons on the panel then turned and faced the rest of the group. "Yes Sir, there are quite a few references that point to Dr. Crusher's authorship. Most of the details included in this program are from her medical logs." Picard turned and headed for the exit at a near run, activating his comm badge as he went. "Dr. Crusher report to my ready room immediately." In his wake, the three remaining officers looked at each other. None of them wanted to return to the bridge to watch the explosion that was going to take place. --- That evening Deanna overrode the security lockout and entered Beverly's quarters. "How did you get in here? Crusher asked, "I thought the Captain had me totally sealed off." "He does. This conversation is listed as ship's business. Officially I am performing a mental survey to see if you suffer from holoaddiction." "And what is your conclusion? Crusher asked with more than a little irony in her voice. "Unknown at this time. This excuse is too good to use only once." Treating Beverly's quarters as her own, Deanna walked over to the replicator and ordered them both a cup of tea. "We do need to talk Beverly. I'm a little disturbed by your actions today in the Captains Ready Room." "My actions? Deanna, I didn't do a thing but stand there. The Captain is the one that did all the acting." "That's my point exactly. Beverly, you made absolutely no attempt to defend yourself. Your silence only served to make the Captain angrier. That's why you ended up getting the maximum punishment he could deal out." "I couldn't defend myself without drawing everyone else into it and I refused to do that. The program he found was the first one. The joke I made up to get back at them for the bachelor party. No one contributed to that one except for me." Deanna got up from her chair and uncharacteristically started to pace. "We were all involved as part of the audience. Besides, you would have deleted that program if Guinan and I hadn't insisted." This was turning into such a mess and it had started out so innocently. They had taken Beverly's initial program and decided to improve on it, make it more suited to their individual tastes. Somewhere along the line that changed, their training, talents and experience had kicked in. What they had intended to be a harmless, but interesting pastime, had turned into a useful tool in treating sexual dysfunction. They had managed to keep the project secret the entire time they were working on it. And it had remained a secret until Star Fleet Medical had finished their examination of it and marked it approved. The Medical Journal had picked up on it immediately and had initially talked of giving it a big send off, with tie-ins to other Star Fleet publications. As a group they had squelched that idea. "Beverly, I know we all agreed to keep this quiet. None of us wanted to get stuck with the title of Sex Therapist to the Stars, but face it, after next months medical journal the word is going to be out." "Not necessarily," Crusher argued. "The journal has agreed to keep the article low key. There is the possibility that our creation will only get a paragraph or two. Unless we choose to point it out, there is a good chance it will pass unnoticed here on the Enterprise." Deanna looked over at her friend very surprised at the unusual emotional reaction she was receiving. Crusher seemed almost desperate. "Okay Beverly, out with it. There is more going on here than you are admitting. You are only mildly concerned about the rest of Star Fleet knowing about the program, but the idea of it becoming public knowledge here on the Enterprise terrifies you. What has happened?" Crusher stared down at her hands, totally embarrassed. "While we were developing the program I finally broke down and took your advice. I put the program through all its paces. I made several prototypes, from various points of view. Some of them were a little too close to home for comfort. I think I deleted them all, I hope I did at least, but this afternoon, when I attempted to check the holodeck index I found that the Captain had locked me out of it." "Deanna, those programs were made before Captain Picard became involved with the Ba'ku, at a time when I thought the two of us still stood a chance." Troi was amazed as Beverly's face gained an even brighter hue, she hadn't thought it was possible. "I permitted myself to indulge in a few of my fantasies and most of them involved the Captain." Deanna was silently congratulating herself on a job well done. This program had been created for people like Beverly who normally weren't aggressive enough within a relationship to get the satisfaction they needed or deserved. During the testing both she and Guinan had willingly tried several variations and scenarios, but Beverly had kept her characters very generic and the circumstance around them very traditional. It was as if she had poured all her creativity into the very first program she made. "Deanna, after his reaction this afternoon, I can't imagine what Captain Picard would do if he saw those prototypes." Troi could. The problem with this afternoon had been the Captain hadn't been properly prepared. If someone had taken the time to explain to him the benefits he would receive from such a program, Picard might view things from an entirely different light. Deanna was trying to think up the correct presentation for him when Beverly disturbed her train of thought. "Deanna, I want you to do me a favor. I want you to go to the holodeck index and make sure that I have cleaned it out. And, I want you to promise that you won't say a word about any of this to the Captain." "Beverly, if someone doesn't explain to him what is going on, you will have to serve out your punishment." "I don't care. It is worth it as long as he doesn't find out about those damn prototypes. After his involvement with Anij, the relationship between us is all but dead, no purpose would be served by dredging them up." Beverly paused a moment to allow her request to sink in. Then she added more for emphasis than anything else, "Deanna, I consider your knowledge of those programs to be part of medical privilege." Troi looked at Beverly and nodded in agreement. Medical ethics demanded that she follow Beverly's wishes, the Captain would never know about the programs unless..... --- Picard was in his quarters dressed in his pajamas and robe. He may have been ready for bed, but he could tell that sleep was hours away, he had too much on his mind. He had been too harsh with Beverly today, he knew that, but he had been so angry. And to have their long drought of meaningful conversation broken in such a way was more than he could stand. Correction, the drought hadn't been broken. According to Data, the program had been written nearly a year ago and his conversation, if you could call it that, with Beverly had been very one sided. Crusher hadn't uttered a word. Picard got up from his chair and started to pace. Technically there were no regulations against what she had done. It may not have been in good taste, but if she challenged any of his charges they would not stand up. That was the rub, she wasn't likely to challenge anything. Ever since the mission to the Ba'ku world, theirs had been a courteous but distant relationship. He knew all too well what had happened, Anij. Picard shivered as he remembered the grave expression on Beverly's face in the cave. At the time he thought it merely reflected the concern in his own face for Anij. But there was much more to it than that. Picard had kept his comm link open the entire time he was in the cave. Beverly had heard every word he uttered to Anij, how he had plead with her to come back to him. By the time Beverly reached them to render aid, it was all over. What Picard had seen in her eyes had not been concern, but mourning, over the death of their relationship. Beverly had been very civilized about the whole thing. There had been no screaming display, no angrily spoken words. Crusher had simply returned to the Enterprise when it was all over and buried herself in her work. She had been so quiet in fact that it took Picard almost six weeks to realize anything had occurred. And that was the most damning part of it all. For a month after they returned to the Enterprise he had walked around in a hormone haze. Mooning over Anij like a love struck teenager. Making plans to join her during leave. Oblivious to those around him. Then the effects started to wear off. He realized that Beverly no longer joined him for breakfast. That their few conversations always revolved around ships business, that she no longer joined him in their shared interests. Picard closed his eyes as he recalled the awful evening when it all came home to him. Data had invited them all to a violin recital. After the morning staff meeting Picard had asked Beverly to share dinner with him and then attend the concert. Beverly had graciously declined stating she had too much work to do. The Captain had attended the concert alone. The chair next to him noticeably empty in the crowded room. Just minutes before the concert began, Beverly entered the room. She walked by him, giving him a slight nod in acknowledgement just as several other crewmen had done, and then climbed the stairs to search for a remaining free seat. After that night he stopped trying to spend time with her. He knew he shouldn't have yelled at her this afternoon, or needled her, but once he started, he couldn't stop. He was venting all the frustration that had built up over the last few weeks. All he wanted really was some response from her. Some acknowledgement on her part that he was there and every time she refused to give it, he added one more punishment to her sentence. The Captain got up and poured himself a brandy. The program, at least the part of it he saw, wasn't that bad. He could tell that Riker had actually been amused. When Barkley had done something similar, he had gotten off with a reprimand, and that was for going to the holodeck during duty hours. Picard set his glass down and made a resolve. He would allow Beverly to stew a few days, confined to quarters, then he would drop all the charges. Perhaps if she felt like he was doing her a favor, she would stop avoiding him. Maybe they would at least be able to start over and be friends. The Captain picked up a book from the end table. Sleep was still several hours away. --- Riker keyed down the list on the console. "Why did I let you talk me into this again?" he asked. Deanna punched him in the arm. "Because I explained the entire situation to you and promised to show you one of my programs." "Oh yes." Riker replied. "I remember, Sex Therapist to the Stars." Just as Troi was about to hit him again Will called out, "Just a second, I think I found one, no, make that two. Do you want me to call them up?" Deanna looked worried. "I really should see them Will, but I think it would be best if I saw them alone. Would you mind awfully?" Riker gave her a boyish grin. "Of course I would. I'm dying to know what kind of fantasy Beverly Crusher would come up with, but I've learned to live with disappointment. You go on in and watch. I'll be in Ten Forward if you need me, and if these programs are as good as Beverly's prototype, you're going to need me real soon. Deanna landed another good blow before Will turned and walked down the hall. Staring at the history of the programs, Deanna realized Beverly had accessed each of them several times. The Counselor wondered if it was because the Doctor was being thorough or if perhaps Beverly counted these two among her favorites. Punching some buttons on the console Deanna whispered, "Okay Doctor, show me what you have learned." --- It was late. Far later than Picard wanted to admit. He wasn't going to sleep tonight, but he at least should give it a try. He closed his book and was about to make his way back to his bed when his door chimed. "What the devil?" he mumbled under his breath just before he ordered "Come." Guinan stood in the doorway, doing her best to look menacing. "Get dressed" she ordered. "What?" "Get dressed, you're coming with me. That is of course unless you would prefer wandering around the ship in your pajamas." "I will do no such thing. What is this all about Guinan?" "I'm doing a favor for a friend. Now get your clothes on." Thirty minutes later Picard sat in Holodeck 3. If the story he had just heard had come from anyone but Guinan, he would have laughed in their face. But when she presented it, everything made sense, and she even had an advance copy of the Star Fleet Medical Journal to back her up. "Beverly should have told me about this. If the Medical Journal is to be believed your discovery could very well revolutionize the entire field of sex therapy. You are all to be congratulated." "We all agreed to keep it quiet. Beverly was trying to protect us and herself." "Guinan, don't misunderstand me here. I am pleased about your discovery, it's just that after this afternoon I'm not certain I can be comfortable with my image being distributed all over Star Fleet, especially undressed. Please tell me that you made some alterations to what I saw." Guinan smiled. "I thought that would bother you so I brought a sample program with me. Another early prototype. Sit back and watch this Jean-Luc and then tell me what you think." The holodeck changed configuration. This time the setting was a dark, smoke-filled bar. There were a few patrons seated around nursing drinks and looking board. A bartender stood back polishing some glasses. Piped in music blared in the background, but no one seemed to be enjoying it or even paying attention to it. The stage was merely a postage stamp and the thrust led out onto the bar itself. Guinan encouraged Picard to take a seat at the bar next to a metal support pole, then placed herself in the chair to his left. "I can't say much for the ambiance." Picard shouted in order to be heard. "These people aren't here for ambiance." Guinan parried. The music suddenly stopped, mid tune. The stage blackened and someone stepped out from behind the curtain. When the lights came up again Beverly stood there in a long robe accented with feathers and a boa. A new set of music started, this time softer but with a familiar driving rhythm. Beverly swayed to the music a moment, then opened her robe and let it drop to the ground. Picard stared up at the stage, totally captivated. Beverly was wearing a tube top that exposed most of her belly. The thin fabric clung to the curves of her breasts, covering them but at the same time outlining and highlighting them. Her shorts were of the same fabric contouring around and cupping her nether cheeks. Her legs were covered with black fishnet stockings supported by a garter belt. She wore four inch spiked heels on her feet, forcing her calf into a shapely line. The Captain swallowed hard as she strutted off the stage and started to snake her way down the runway/bar. He was at the same time aroused and repulsed by the display. This wasn't the Beverly he knew, and yet it was. "Well Captain, what do you think?" Guinan asked. Picard was speechless. Beverly had grasped the metal pole in one hand, then squatted in front of him, stroking the top of his head with her free hand. Guinan smiled at the expression on his face. "I think you should know Captain that at this time the therapist normally leaves the patient alone. You see there is no right or wrong to this program, nothing for the therapist to guide them through. In fact in the long run it has very little to do with sex, but everything to do with trust." The image of Beverly stood up and unhooked the tube top allowing it to drop to the floor. Then she again squatted in front of him, forcing her pelvis against the pole as she slid down. The Captain released a low moan as she came to a stop. This time her exposed breasts right at his eye level.Picard adjusted in his seat as his uniform became more and more constricting. She was there, inviting, all he had to do was reach out and touch her. After their weeks of separation this was almost torture. Then the image vanished. The holodeck returned to it's normal black and yellow grid. "That's where the program ends Jean-Luc. It was never completed. Beverly had been working on this, when we visited the Ba'ku. Toward the end of the program, I think you can notice the effect the rings had on her. As you can see this program is substantially different from the first one." Picard nodded, gaining enough control over himself to speak. "Yes it is, but why did you show me this one Guinan. I find it impossible to believe that this is your standard demonstration program." "No it isn't standard. In fact this program is very specific. It is keyed to you. To your likes and dislikes. Beverly started this program for you as a gift, intending to show it to you at an appropriate time when it could be used to its full advantage. Then we arrived at the Ba'ku world. Picard sighed. This was yet another nail in the coffin that contained their relationship. "I was an ass, I admit it. Guinan, I have tried to get close to her again, but she won't let me." "I know. With this program lurking in the background Beverly couldn't pretend that your affair with Anij just didn't happen. She had taken a chance. She had exposed herself to you physically and emotionally. Your choice of Anij over her was the final straw. Captain, Beverly has finally walked away." Picard looked at Guinan, there was fear in his eyes. "I've lost her completely haven't I. Even her friendship." Guinan nodded. "She says it's over between the two of you." Picard bowed his head, defeated. Guinan had hoped this would be his reaction. If he had shown relief then it really would have been over. Straining her neck to get a better look at his face, she spoke in a quiet voice. "However, Deanna says and I agree with her, that there may still be a chance." Picard looked up, desperately wanting to grab at any straw offered. "The program you just viewed has remained here idle for the last few months. Beverly hadn't worked on it, but she hadn't forgotten about it either. It wasn't until she was afraid that you might find it that she attempted to delete it." "It's possible that deep inside she hasn't given up hope, but that by staying away from you she is simply trying to avoid getting hurt again. Now you may be able to get her back, but it is going to take a lot of work and commitment on your part, and a pretty good sense of humor." "At this point Guinan, I'm willing to try almost anything." Guinan answer was almost ominous. "Good." --- The next morning when Beverly awoke she found that the security guard had been removed from outside her quarters during the night. Further there was a brief note from Will informing her that all charges had been dropped and she had been ordered to return to duty. She had immediately contacted Deanna to see what had happened, why the Captain had suddenly changed his mind. Troi assured her she had no idea. When Beverly asked about the prototypes, Deanna told her she had found two and deleted them both as Beverly had requested. Crusher decided she had no other recourse but to ask Picard directly why he had changed his mind. Squaring her shoulders, she hit her comm badge. "Crusher to Picard." The computer responded to her page. "Captain Picard is on personal leave and not responding to communications." Anij, Beverly thought and was about to confirm where he had gone, when she got an incoming message. "Selar to Crusher. Doctor are you reporting for duty today? My shift ended 5.7 minutes ago." Crusher looked down at her pajamas. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes." --- Guinan shoved the clothing in Picard's face, "Put these on." The Captain looked down at the costume with disgust. "You actually want me to wear that thing?" "Do you want to get Beverly back?" "Yes." "Then you'll wear it. I told you Captain, it has more to do with trust than it does with sex. This is a case where you will just have to trust me." --- The week had been hectic. Beverly sank down in a chair exhausted. Tonight was free at least, maybe she could stay in her quarters and catch her breath. She was just kicking off her shoes when there was a chime at her door. "Come in" she called out. The door slid open and a young crewman stepped inside. "The Captain sends his compliments ma'am. He requests that you join him in the holodeck." So the Captain is back, Beverly thought, then just as quickly realized he wanted her to join him in the holodeck. Oh no, what if he found something, then realized there was nothing there for him to find. Not satisfied with Deanna's reassurance, Beverly had taken the first opportunity to search the index herself. She found nothing. Well things still hadn't changed between her and the Captain if anything his little vacation had made them worse. "Please tell the Captain that I would like to meet him, but I'm exhausted tonight and will have to take a raincheck." "The Captain said if you refused to tell you that it's an order." So that's how he wanted to play it. Back to the heavy hand and pulling rank. Beverly reached down and put her shoes back on. "I suppose you've been ordered to escort me." The crewman answered "Yes Ma'am." "Well crewman let's get this over with." said Crusher heading toward the door. --- Jean-Luc stood backstage nervous as hell. It didn't matter that he would be performing for an audience of one. Guinan had worked him for a week and he would never be more ready than he was now. He looked down at the ridiculous costume and kept reciting his litany: It's not about sex, It's about trust. His hands were sweating and his stomach was full of butterflies. What if he got sick just as he was about to go on?" He jumped as he heard the door to the holodeck open. He could hear her voice, and the one that was supposed to be his own. God, did he always sound that pompous? Of course he did. Even with the stakes as high as they were now, he had resisted Guinan's help until she had finally broken down and showed him the second program. The one Beverly had developed for her own enjoyment. Only then did he completely commit himself to this insanity. Taking a deep breath, he took his position. It would start any moment now. Then came the first bars of the music. He started to run, took a leap, and then slid out onto the stage. Beverly nearly panicked when she entered the holodeck and saw the Captain standing there. The setting was from one of her fantasies. He had found them, he knew. Picard looked at her concerned. "Is something wrong? I didn't mean to worry you, I have just developed a new program and I wanted to share it with you." "You developed a program?" Crusher asked surprised and a little relieved. "Yes, though I have to admit I had some help from some friends. Would you mind watching it?" The Captain asked, offering her the lone chair in the room. "No, of course not." Crusher sat down ill at ease, waiting for Picard to drop the other shoe. How did he know about her program? The room darkened and the lights came up on the stage. There was a piano riff, then another and then Jean-Luc came sliding out onto the stage, dressed in a long, old fashioned, white button shirt that came down to mid thigh and a pair of white socks. Just take those old records off the shelf. I sit and listen to them by myself. Today's music ain't got the same soul. I like that old time rock and roll. Spinning around so that his back was to the audience, Picard gathered his shirt in front of him so that it stretched tight across the back and his butt. He stretched one leg out to the side and rocked his hips in time to the music. Beverly recovering from her fear that she had been discovered, settled back into her chair. This wasn't anything like her fantasy, but it was good enough. In spite of herself started to enjoy the show. She stared up at the Captain standing next to her to see what his reaction was, but his face showed little or nothing. Don't try to take me to a disco. You'll never even get me out on the floor. In ten minutes I'll be late for the door I like that old time rock and roll. Picard spun around and started working his way upstage just as he started working his way down the line of buttons fastening his shirt together. Three quarters of the way unfastened, he paused and spread the shirt as far as it would go, giving an excellent view of his chest and stomach, but still covering a couple of essential parts. Still like that old time rock and roll. That kind of music just soothes the soul. I reminisce about the days of old With that old time rock and roll. He turned his back once again, swinging his butt from side to side. He unfastened the buttons on his sleeves and the rest of the buttons on his shirt. Spreading his arms straight back behind him, he tugged gently at the shirttail and allowed the garment to fall to the floor. A subdued smile was starting to spread across Beverly's face, even though she was a little disappointed to find that he was wearing a loin cloth underneath the shirt and it covered almost all the parts she wanted to see. Just a touch of his sweet cheeks protruded below. It would have to do for now, there was still more to the song and she was enjoying the tease. Won't go to hear'em play a tango I'd rather hear some blues or funky old soul There's only one sure way to get me to go Start playing old time rock and roll. Picard faced the audience again and moved down to the very edge of the stage, his next step would put him on the stairs. Beverly's eyes stayed fixed on the part of his body that was moving the most. To her regret the loin cloth covered better in the front than it did in the back. She strained her eyes to see if she could make out anything underneath it. As if sensing her difficulty, the Captain started to work on the fastenings to the loincloth. Call me a relic, call me what you will. Say I'm old fashioned, say I'm over the hill. Today's music ain't got the same soul. I like that old time rock and roll. With a sure hand Picard ripped the loincloth from his body. He stood there at the head of the stairs dressed in his Star Fleet G-String and white socks. Beverly giggled aloud, partially from the odd combination and partially from embarrassment. She couldn't believe that Jean-Luc actually invited her here to view this, especially since he had been so upset just a few days before. She turned to speak to him about it, when the person standing next to her suddenly vanished. She realized she had been talking to a holocharacter all this time. But if that wasn't Jean-Luc, then where was he? Glancing up at the stage, the dancer stumbled slightly as he took the first step down. A hologram wouldn't have done that. Beverly wasn't watching an image of Jean-Luc dancing, she was watching the Captain himself. Still like that old time rock and roll. That kind of music just soothes the soul. I reminisce about the days of old With that old time rock and roll. Picard danced toward her, his eyes firmly fixed on hers, hoping, praying that she wouldn't turn and run away. She watched him closely as he approached. The smile widening across her face. This was far better than any of the fantasies she had imagined. Her look of approval was all Picard needed. He turned and added a few extra shakes to his well exposed rear just as the music ended. Beverly stood and applauded. "Bravo Jean-Luc, Bravo. That was an excellent performance." Just to be certain that she really was talking to the Captain, she called out. "Computer end program." The stage disappeared and the room dissolved into the black and yellow grid. Jean-Luc still stood before her panting slightly and nearly naked. The jovial mood between them seemed to shift as the fantasy faded away. It was as if their inner selves were as exposed as the Captain's body. Beverly took a deep breath then in a voice hardly more than a whisper she spoke. "Thank you Jean-Luc, you don't know how much this meant to me. I know how difficult that was for you." Picard gave her a sad smile. "There are times when extreme measures are necessary." The Captain shifted his gaze to the ground, this was as hard for him as the dancing had been. "I have said and done things recently that have hurt you. I know that. I saw something I wanted and went for it, without thinking how it would effect others. I got what I was after and I won't lie to you Beverly, for a while it was very nice, but then it was over and I was forced to see what I had discarded along the way." "Of all the things I threw away, your trust in me is the one I miss the most, because without that trust there is no "us". There is no relationship, there isn't even a friendship. I don't know if I can ever win that trust back, because that decision is up to you, but I am going to try. This little outing was just the first step." Beverly's eyes shined with unshed tears. His admission was almost as painful for her as it was for him. He was right, he had lost her trust and try as she might she couldn't give it back to him without qualification. "This is going to take some time Jean-Luc." Her little laugh was almost a sob. "I always seem to be saying that don't I?" Her composure cracked. Jean-Luc stepped forward out of force of habit and engulfed her in his arms. They stood like that for several minutes, each drawing comfort from the other. "I didn't realize how much I missed this," Picard said finally, "until it was gone." "I miss it too Jean-Luc, but I couldn't take the chance..." "That I would hurt you again. I know. That's why it was important that I took the risk this time, but first I had to get your attention. Did I succeed?" Beverly's response was halfway between a chuckle and a sob. "I'll say." "Good." Jean-Luc's mood lightened some as he continued, "Because there are a few modifications to the program I would like to make, and I want your input on them." "What kind of modifications Jean-Luc? Except for the stumble on the stairs the program looked pretty good to me." Picard put his hands and her shoulders and gently pushed her back until she was once again seated in the chair. "There is a little bit of music left. What are your thoughts on a lap dance?" --- The End