The BLTS Archive - Getting Away from It All by Yavanna (kcolohan@sidsplace.win-uk.net) --- DS9 characters copyright Paramount Pictures, story copyright Karen Colohan 1995. Special thanks are due to Jenny, without whose inspiration this story would never have been finished. (c) 1995 by Karen Colohan --- Julian Bashir moved around his quarters whistling cheerfully to himself. He was packing his bags, preparing to take some much needed leave from DS9. When Commander Sisko had first suggested he could use a holiday he'd resisted the idea, but now he was looking forward to it with eager anticipation. Being the only doctor on the station was hard work at times, and much as he loved his job the thought of several weeks of total relaxation was exceptionally enticing! He had handed over the infirmary to a competent Bajoran medic earlier that morning, and there was nothing more for him to do but pack his bags and wait for his travelling companion to arrive. It had taken some fast talking on his part to convince his friend that a break on Risa would do them both a world of good, but eventually Garak had set aside his misgivings and agreed to make the trip. It was some months now since Julian and Garak had taken the first steps from simple friendship to something more intimate, and neither of them had yet had cause to regret it. Julian often wondered why it had taken him so long to figure out Garak's feelings towards him. Well, hopefully this trip would allow them to make up some of that lost time. It would also be a relief to spend time together without the eyes of half the people on DS9 upon them! Julian was well aware of the mixed reactions to his burgeoning relationship with the Cardassian tailor. In the main he had met with stunned disbelief, but a few of the station's Bajoran inhabitants had displayed a stronger reaction. Eventually, Julian had learned to ignore them. His colleagues had generally been more understanding. Commander Sisko had accepted the situation philosophically. Personally he didn't trust Garak, but what the doctor did in his own time was his business. Kira had made a few pointed comments at the outset, but Julian had faced her down and now she paid them no attention. Dax had been the most sympathetic of all. She'd sat Julian down and had a long heart to heart with him. She was the only one who had actually asked if being with Garak made him happy. When Julian had answered in the affirmative she told him in no uncertain terms that that was the only thing that mattered. Now they were better friends than they had ever been. The door chimed, and Julian called out that it was open. A moment later Garak entered his quarters, travelling bag in hand. He was dressed only slightly less somberly than usual, in a deep, rusty red tunic and trousers. The tailor took the opportunity to appraise the doctor's own outfit. He so rarely saw him dressed in anything other than his uniform. Today Julian had chosen a loose shirt of pale blue, worn over a pair of tight, dark blue trousers. As the doctor turned, Garak noticed that his hair was a little more tousled than usual too. "Well, doctor, I'm all packed," said the Cardassian with a smile. "I trust you haven't changed your mind about going. I've told all my regular customers that my shop will be closed for several weeks." "Of course I haven't changed my mind, Garak," said Julian, grinning broadly. "I wouldn't miss this for anything." "Well then, if you're ready, shall we go?" Garak regarded the doctor affectionately, marvelling anew at the wonderful change that had taken place in their relationship. The tailor hadn't been so contented in many years, and it was a feeling he intended to cling to for as long as he could. Julian threw the last few items into his bag and closed it. Casually he slung it over his shoulder and indicated that Garak should lead the way. They headed along the corridor in companionable silence, making for the turbolift which would take them to the docking ring and their transport. --- The trip to Risa was long and uneventful. Julian was glad it was finally over and he could really relax and start to enjoy the fact of being there with Garak. He stood and surveyed their suite with approval. The main room was light and airy. It was dominated by the large bed, strewn with pillows and cushions. It looked soft and inviting; the doctor was looking forward to testing it, as a pleasant change from DS9's hard Cardassian beds! Gauzy curtains screened the high windows and hung round the bed, creating a pleasantly intimate atmosphere. In the smaller room leading off this one Julian knew a large spa bubbled away - he was rather looking forward to indulging himself in there too! Garak appeared at Julian's shoulder and the doctor turned to him with a smile. "I'm glad we're doing this, Garak. It's good to get away from the station for a while," said Julian with a contented sigh. "Oh, I quite agree, doctor, being the focus of station gossip does become a little tiring at times," observed Garak, only half jokingly. "You don't have any regrets about all this, do you, Garak? After all, it was you who began this relationship." Julian studied the Cardassian's face intently. "None at all, my dear doctor, I for one am perfectly happy with the way things are," replied Garak. "Do I really make you happy though?" asked Julian slowly. The tailor could see the uncertainty in the doctor's eyes. "Yes," he answered simply, "but I thought that you knew that." "I suppose I do," admitted Julian with a faint smile. "It's just good to hear you say it from time to time." Garak moved quickly, taking Julian into his arms. The doctor pressed himself against the Cardassian eagerly, enjoying the warmth of his embrace. He sought out Garak's mouth with his own, kissing him hungrily. The tailor returned the kiss, his tongue slipping between Julian's lips caressingly. As the doctor's eyelids fluttered shut, Garak felt his slender body relax against him. It required only a minimal effort to manoeuvre the doctor to the bed and to push him down onto it. As Garak prepared to join him he saw that Julian's eyes were open again and he was smiling up at his friend invitingly. Once more the Cardassian was struck by the doctor's seductive beauty. His breath caught in his throat and it was all he could do to stop himself from tearing Julian's clothes from him, just to see the delights beneath. Julian was well aware of the effect he was having on Garak. He found it arousing to watch the Cardassian controlling his body's instinctive responses. Sometimes they gave their passions free rein, meeting one another with wild abandon, but at other times they would deliberately hold back, taking things tantalisingly slowly. Now was one of those times, and Julian could feel the heat building in his groin as his arousal intensified. He held out his arms to Garak and the Cardassian lay down on the bed, covering Julian's body with his own. Slowly they moved against one another, each feeling the other's hardness pressing into them through their clothing. Carefully Julian began to work at the fastenings of Garak's clothes, easing each item from his body. As ever he delighted in the heat of the Cardassian's skin as his hands ran lightly over it. "Can I undress you?" whispered Garak, his chest rising and falling with his rapid breaths. "No, not yet!" Julian's breathing was equally ragged as he fought the impulse to allow the tailor to do as he wished. Garak's hands strayed over his body, crushing the fine material of his shirt and Julian gasped at the intense sensations flooding through him. "Please, doctor," implored Garak, his lips at the younger man's throat. He trailed kisses down the smooth skin of Julian's neck and chest until he encountered the soft material again. With a sudden, inarticulate cry of frustration his hands ripped at the confining silk, pulling the shirt from the doctor's body. Julian went rigid with shock and Garak drew back in distress. "My dear doctor, I'm sorry," he murmured, his expression contrite. "I don't know what came over me." "I do," said Julian with a slight smile, as he forced himself to relax again. He glanced briefly at his ruined shirt before regarding the Cardassian ruefully. "I shouldn't have teased you like that. I'm sorry." He reached out and lightly caressed Garak's cheek, feeling him tremble at the touch. "Why don't you finish undressing me, Garak. Though maybe you should stick to the conventional method this time." The tailor didn't need to be asked twice and in moments he held Julian's naked body in his arms. He resumed his exploration of the doctor's smooth, caramel skin with his lips and tongue, feeling Julian become steadily more aroused. The Cardassian had himself back under control now and he took the lead, directing the progress of the doctor's arousal. Julian enjoyed putting himself in Garak's hands like this. It was exciting, never being sure what he would do next, and while he often did initiate things between them himself there was somehow a more intense pleasure in allowing the Cardassian to take control. Right now Garak had turned his attention to Julian's erection, his tongue stimulating it gently. He felt the tremor which ran through the doctor's slender frame and a smile touched his lips. He was well aware that that particular caress turned Julian on more than any other. The ache in Julian's groin was becoming almost too much to bear. His nerve endings felt like they were on fire. He wanted nothing more than to feel Garak's talented mouth close around his erection, but he knew the tailor was holding back deliberately, paying him back for teasing him earlier. Julian gasped again as he felt Garak's lips tease at him momentarily and then withdraw. "Garak!" he murmured in an agony of anticipation. "Yes, doctor?" There was an unmistakable hint of amusement in the Cardassian's voice. "You're a cruel man, Garak," complained Julian in an aggrieved tone. "But you love me anyway," concluded the tailor archly. Julian laughed in spite of himself. "You know that I do, Garak," he returned with a smile, which died on his lips as he realised it was the first time he'd actually admitted that - to himself or Garak. He met the tailor's pale eyes wonderingly, and found the same expression of surprise reflected back at him. "Well, well, doctor - many a true word as they say," observed the Cardassian slowly. "I'm sorry, Garak. If you don't..." Julian looked flustered. The tailor gently placed his fingers against the doctor's lips to silence him. "Not at all, my dear doctor, I'm glad it's finally been said. I wasn't entirely sure if love was what you felt for me. No, hear me out," he said quickly, as Julian tried to interrupt. "I knew you enjoyed the time we spent together, but I wasn't certain whether there was any more to it than that." Garak smiled again, but there was a catch in his voice as he continued. "I'm gratified to discover that there is." Julian pulled Garak closer against him, wrapping his arms tightly about the Cardassian. As he did so his body's demands reasserted their hold over him and he moaned as Garak's hot erection pressed against his own. He sought the tailor's mouth and began to kiss him deeply, drawing an immediate response from Garak. Any thought of further restraint was impossible, the tide of arousal which swept over them was too intense. They thrust urgently against one another, seeking release, and their mutual cries increased in volume as they pleasured one another. Julian was the first to lose control, but Garak was a mere heartbeat behind him. For a timeless instant they shared their joy, until exhaustion claimed them and they lay panting, in a tangle of limbs, on the wrecked bed. Slowly Julian opened his eyes and found Garak watching him affectionately. Carefully the Cardassian rolled off of him, propping himself up on one elbow and surveying the doctor's body with approval. Julian's skin was sheened with sweat and tinted with a faint rosy blush. To Garak's eyes he had never looked more appealing. It had taken Julian a long while to get used to the tailor's habit of watching him intently, sweeping his body from head to toe with an intense scrutiny. At first he had found it highly embarrassing; now it never failed to arouse him and he felt his body begin to stir again in response. Garak smiled gently, enjoying the beautiful picture made by the doctor as he stretched lazily, moving with an almost feline grace. "Ah, my dear, sweet doctor, such delightful possibilities offer themselves to us. Shall we explore them?" he asked seductively. "Shall I tell you what I'd like to explore, Garak?" responded Julian in kind. "Of course, doctor!" smiled the Cardassian. Julian leaned across and whispered conspiratorially to him at some length. All the while Garak's eyes widened in surprise. The doctor was grinning broadly by the time he drew back, enjoying the tailor's shocked expression. "Are you serious, doctor?" asked Garak after a long moment. "What do you think?" laughed Julian. "I think you're teasing me again," concluded Garak with an answering smile. The doctor's wicked grin told him he was right. "But it was fun seeing your expression when you thought I was serious," said Julian with an impish smirk. "I never realised before just what a vivid imagination you have, doctor." Garak regarded the younger man with interest, as if his curiosity had been piqued. "So, what else can you imagine for us?" "Well, I don't know about you, Garak, but after our journey the idea of relaxing in the spa with some good food and a cool drink is incredibly appealing," said Julian. "After that, who knows..." --- Ten minutes later, Garak was indeed relaxing in the spa, a glass of Kanar in his hand. Julian reclined elegantly by the edge of the spa, a tray of food in front of him. The doctor sipped slowly from his own glass, he wasn't entirely sure what it contained, though Garak had assured him he would find the taste pleasing. He had to admit the Cardassian had been right about that, but the slight tingling he was beginning to feel through his nerve endings led him to suspect the drink wasn't as innocent as it looked. Garak regarded his companion steadily, a hint of amusement dancing in his clear blue eyes. "Are you enjoying your drink, doctor?" he asked disingenuously. "Yes, as a matter of fact I am, but I would like to know exactly what it is," replied Julian. "Oh, it's quite popular - in certain circles, on Cardassia," said Garak lightly. "It's called tianor." "Tianor," repeated Julian slowly, unable to recall having heard the name before. "Garak, would you mind telling me _precisely_ what that is. I feel rather - strange." "I'm sure you do, doctor, but it's not an unpleasant sensation, is it? The juice is, after all, renowned for its - pleasure enhancing qualities, shall we say," announced Garak with a sly smile. Julian's eyes widened in surprise and he found himself at a loss for words. No wonder he felt so - sensitised. Garak set down his glass and shifted his position, until his face was only inches away from the doctor's. "I really do suggest we eat, before the food gets cold," said the tailor, his eyes glittering brightly. Before Julian could reply, Garak dipped his fingers into one of the dishes, fishing out a choice morsel and offering it to the doctor. After a moment's hesitation Julian opened his mouth, accepting the proffered piece of food. The Cardassian watched as he ate and then repeated the gesture. "Don't you want anything?" asked Julian, as Garak made no move to take any food for himself. "Oh, I think you know what I want, my dear doctor," replied the tailor simply. "Well, you can have that soon enough," said Julian with an affectionate grin. "In the meantime you should still eat!" Mirroring the Cardassian's actions, the doctor scooped up some of the contents of the nearest dish. Garak accepted the offering without comment, his tongue lingering a moment to caress the younger man's fingertips. Julian gasped as his tianor heightened senses reacted to the touch. On an impulse he held out his glass to Garak. "Why thank you, doctor!" said the tailor. "I must admit I haven't drunk tianor myself in a long time. It may be - an interesting experience." With that he took the glass from Julian and drained it; as he set it down by the side of the spa he returned his attention to their meal. "Now, where were we?" The two companions finished eating in silence. Each was becoming increasingly aware of the progress of the tianor as it permeated their body, setting their senses alight. For Garak, the bubbling of the water against his skin was the most exquisite torture, stimulating every part of him. He wanted nothing more than to pull Julian into the spa with him, but to his frustration the doctor rose and disappeared into the outer room, carrying the tray. When he returned, Julian was holding another dish. He held it out for Garak's inspection as he finally stepped into the spa, settling himself comfortably at the tailor's side. "I'danian spice pudding," he said, by way of explanation, "I thought you might like something sweet to finish." Julian regarded Garak coquettishly through his long, dark lashes. "Oh, I certainly had something sweet in mind," agreed the tailor, "but it wasn't spice pudding!" "I can guarantee you'll enjoy this," insisted Julian with an inviting smile. He offered a little of the dessert to Garak on the tip of his finger. With considerable delicacy the Cardassian licked the creamy confection from the doctor's hand. He knew it was a particular favourite of Julian's. The taste was pleasant enough, but... Garak's body tensed as he felt Julian begin to caress his chest lightly. He glanced down, and was startled to find the doctor drawing swirls of the spice pudding across his skin, its creamy hue standing out boldly against the grey of his own colouring. "Doctor, what are you doing?" "Oh, I just enjoy finding new ways of serving my favourite foods, don't you?" replied Julian brightly. Before Garak could frame a coherent response the doctor bent his head and began delicately licking the sweet, sticky desert from the tailor's skin. Garak gasped involuntarily as Julian's agile tongue caressed him, and the fire of arousal swept through him. He felt a profound sense of disappointment when the doctor drew back, licking his lips provocatively and watching him with some amusement. "Would you like some now, Garak?" he asked teasingly, offering the dish to the Cardassian. As he took it, Julian leaned back against the edge of the spa, allowing Garak access to his entire upper body. The tailor didn't need to be asked twice and he set to work with a will, his hands swiftly adorning Julian with a trail of spice pudding running from the base of his throat, around his nipples, and down to his waist. As Garak put the dish aside and began the task of licking the sweet confection, only a shade lighter than Julian's smooth skin, from the doctor's slender body, he could feel the younger man trembling in anticipation. Garak worked his way slowly down from Julian's throat, lingering a little longer than was strictly necessary over each of his taut nipples, teasing the doctor with the maddeningly slow strokes of his tongue. Given how aroused he felt himself, with the tianor heightening every one of his senses, he could well imagine the effect his ministrations were having on Julian. The doctor could barely hold himself still. His fingers tangled convulsively in Garak's smooth, dark hair and he moaned softly as the tailor explored each new expanse of his skin. So caught up in the delicious sensations was Julian, that he barely noticed when Garak finally completed his slow journey. A moment later he felt an electrifying jolt as the Cardassian pulled him into his arms, their bodies touching along their entire length. He relaxed into the embrace, allowing himself to be drawn deeper into the warmth of the bubbling water, feeling it tickling at his skin delightfully. "Well, doctor," observed Garak between kisses, "I do believe that was the most interesting meal I've had in a long time." "Mmmm, it was enjoyable, wasn't it," agreed Julian dreamily. "I don't think I shall ever be able to look at a bowl of I'danian spice pudding in quite the same way again." "And what would you like now, doctor?" enquired Garak, his blue eyes reflecting his own desire. He trembled as Julian reached up and gently traced a fingertip along the sensitive ridges on his face and at the side of his neck. It felt like a candle flame being drawn across his skin and he cried aloud at the intensity of the sensation. Julian smiled beatifically. "I'd like you inside me, Garak," he murmured. "I can feel how much you want me." To prove his point he brushed himself lightly against the tailor's eager erection, provoking another vocal reaction. "And do you want _me_ any less, my dear doctor?" breathed Garak as he turned Julian in his arms, settling the younger man so his head rested against one of the Cardassian's broad shoulders. The tailor slid his arms around Julian's slim waist, reaching down with one hand to lightly caress his erect sex. The doctor's eyelids fluttered shut and his full lips parted slightly. He turned his head until he could reach to nibble gently at Garak's neck, enjoying the tailor's deep throated moans. Carefully, Garak pressed himself closer to Julian's body, his erection hard against the doctor's pert backside. Julian angled his hips slightly and sighed with pleasure as he felt the tailor slowly enter him from behind. The delicious sensation of Garak's erection filling him, combined with the effects of the tianor, and the feeling of floating in the warm water of the spa, left Julian in a daze. As if in a dream he was aware of Garak's hands caressing him, skillfully teasing at his sex until it throbbed with the need for release. All the while Julian could feel the tailor's lips straying over the sensitised skin of his back, seeming to leave circles of fire wherever they touched. And most intensely he felt Garak thrusting slowly and steadily into him, as he pressed back in response, building towards a climax that threatened to overwhelm him at any moment. Garak could sense Julian's increasing arousal, the movement of his hips becoming more frenzied by the minute. His own thrusts became more vigorous as he responded to the doctor's passion. Suddenly, Julian cried aloud as he came, pressing himself hard against Garak's body. The abrupt tightening of his muscles was enough to send the tailor over the edge as well, clutching Julian to him in a fierce embrace. For a long moment the two men floated on a tide of mutual pleasure, the aftershocks resonating through their bodies for longer still. Slowly Julian re-collected himself, turning his head to smile drowsily at Garak. The tailor looked equally contented as he settled the doctor in a more comfortable position against him, unwilling to allow him to move too far from him. "If the rest of our stay on Risa is as enjoyable as today, I shall be glad you convinced me to come with you," said Garak with a smile. "I did tell you it would be fun, Garak," said Julian, yawning hugely and tucking himself more snugly into the tailor's embrace. "I'm not sure it would be a good idea to go to sleep here, doctor," observed Garak. "I can hardly keep my eyes open though," admitted Julian reluctantly. Carefully the Cardassian extricated himself, ignoring the doctor's half hearted protests. He stepped from the spa and retrieved a large, soft towel, holding it out invitingly. With a sigh Julian also climbed out of the spa and allowed Garak to wrap him in it. While the tailor found a second towel for himself, the doctor wandered back into the main room. When Garak followed him a few minutes later Julian was already asleep, stretched out on the bed with the towel still around him. The Cardassian stood watching him, smiling indulgently. "Good night - and sweet dreams, doctor," he whispered softly. --- Julian woke early the following morning, feeling relaxed. He shivered, and discovered he was still wrapped in the slightly damp towel from the night before. He glanced over his shoulder to find Garak stretched out behind him, still deeply asleep. Carefully he sat up and swung his feet onto the floor. He padded across to the room's replicator, quietly ordering his habitual Tarkelian tea. He sipped at the hot, sweet beverage as he discarded the now redundant towel. Slowly he ran a hand down over his naked body, enjoying the faint tingling his touch provoked. A deeper thrill ran through him at the memory of Garak's hands moving over his skin, caressing him, exciting him. He glanced across to where the tailor lay sleeping, an affectionate smile tugging at his lips. He resisted the temptation to return to bed and slowly finished his tea, amusing himself by fantasising about what other pursuits he and Garak might find to entertain them during their stay on Risa. As Garak still showed no sign of waking, Julian decided to go out and do a little exploring on his own account. He dressed quickly, in tight black trousers and a creamy coloured, loose cotton shirt. He studied his reflection briefly, tugging his hair into some semblance of order. His cheeks were shadowed with dark stubble, but after a moment's consideration he decided against shaving - he wasn't on duty now. Satisfied with the picture he presented, he left the suite and headed out into the early morning sunshine. Julian soon found himself in the midst of a small market, busy even at this early hour. Several of the stalls caught his eye and he paused for a closer look, admiring the skillfully made trinkets on display. As Julian browsed the smell of cooking attracted his attention, reminding him that he hadn't eaten since the previous night. The food vendor's stall was close by and he stopped to buy one of the hot, savoury pastries on offer before continuing on his way. He ate as he walked, enjoying the pleasant, but unfamiliar taste of his impromptu breakfast. The doctor soon lost track of time as he strolled through the marketplace, and it was over an hour later when he guiltily realised that Garak had no idea where he was and would probably be worried about him. Hurriedly he retraced his steps, making his way back to their lodgings. As soon as Julian reached the entrance to the suite he was sure that something was wrong. He was quite certain that he'd closed the door on his way out, but now it stood partially open. All his instincts, born of his Starfleet training, went on immediate alert. "Garak?" he called out uncertainly. "Here, doctor..." came the reply, strangely muffled and abruptly cut off. Julian stepped slowly into the room, and the door closed suddenly behind him. He spun around and gasped in shock at what he saw. The familiar figure of Gul Dukat confronted him, regarding him with a mixture of contempt and amusement. "Ah, Doctor Bashir! So, the reports I received were correct after all," he observed, as he moved away from the door, and back into the centre of the room. Julian turned to follow him, but pulled up short, his eyes widening in horror, at the sight which greeted him. Garak lay on the floor, still naked, his body and his face both bruised and bloody, as if he'd been on the receiving end of a beating. One look at Dukat's face was enough to convince the doctor that that was precisely what had happened. Two more Cardassian's stood over the tailor's prone form, their disruptors pointed threateningly at Julian. "What do you want here, Gul Dukat?" demanded Julian angrily. "You have no right to force your way in here like this; you have no jurisdiction on Risa." The doctor began to edge closer to the fallen figure of Garak. "Doctor, please stay where you are," said Dukat evenly. "I would hate for there to be any misunderstanding, should one of my men interpret your movements as threatening." "Garak's hurt; he needs attention," snapped Julian, his eyes blazing with anger and concern. "Please feel free to assure your men that I'm unarmed and no threat to anyone." He met Dukat's eyes steadily, trying to project an air of confidence that he certainly didn't feel. He knew he had little chance against three armed Cardassians, but he had no intention of giving Dukat the satisfaction of seeing how nervous he actually was. "I'm afraid Garak is no longer your concern." Dukat looked at the doctor with faint amusement, his knowing smile grating on Julian's already ragged nerves. "You'll have to find another companion for the rest of your stay on Risa. I'm sure that won't be too difficult for a personable young man such as yourself." The Cardassian shook his head slightly. "I must say though, doctor, that you do have a strange taste in - friends." "That's my prerogative!" retorted Julian, his irritation emboldening him. "Now, I insist that you let me treat Garak's wounds. I'm a doctor, and I won't just stand by quietly and see an injured man go untreated." "Oh, very well," said Dukat in a long-suffering tone of voice, "a few minutes will make little difference." He turned to the two Cardassian soldiers. "Let the doctor treat the tailor, he's no danger to us." Julian scooted across the room, retrieved the med-kit he always made a point of keeping to hand, and moved to kneel beside Garak. Carefully he ran a tricorder over his friend's body, the routine familiarity of the procedure helping to calm him. The injuries were, thankfully, not too severe, but the tailor showed definite signs of concussion and a couple of his ribs were cracked; Julian knew he didn't have the equipment to deal effectively with those. He could do something about the Cardassian's bruised and battered face though. He reached into the med-kit for the tissue regenerator. "How do you feel, Garak?" asked Julian quietly as he set to work. "I've felt better, doctor," replied the Cardassian sardonically, his gaze shifting to where Dukat stood watching them silently. He tried to sit up, but Julian placed a hand firmly on his shoulder, restraining him. "Lie still, you have some cracked ribs and a concussion. I don't want you to move any more than necessary. I'll heal what I can, but I don't have all the equipment I need. I'm sorry." Julian's face was carefully controlled, but Garak knew him well enough to sense the concern, and the fear, he was masking. "I'm alright, doctor," he said gently. "There's nothing for you to worry about." *But plenty for me to worry about* he added to himself. *On Deep Space Nine Dukat couldn't touch me, but here...* "Then what's going on here?" Julian demanded to know, his voice disrupting Garak's gloomy train of thought. "What is going on, Doctor Bashir," came Dukat's voice from just behind him, "is that this traitor is being taken back to Cardassia, to answer for his crimes against the Cardassian people." "What?" Julian jumped to his feet, spinning round to look at Dukat in disbelief. "You already exiled him, what more do you want?" The smile which crossed the Gul's face was not pleasant and Julian felt faintly nauseous as he realised what Dukat intended. "You really don't want to know, Doctor Bashir. Now, if you've finished..." "No, I haven't finished! I haven't even begun yet, Gul Dukat!" spat Julian. As his fury erupted he launched himself at the Cardassian, wanting to wipe the infuriatingly smug expression from his face. He heard Garak's warning cry, but there was nothing he could do. His momentum carried him forward and the beam from one of the Cardassian soldiers' disruptors seared across his chest. A look of surprise crossed his face momentarily, and then he fell to the floor, senseless. "Damn you, Dukat!" Garak looked up at the Gul with anger blazing from his eyes. "There was no need for that, he couldn't have harmed you!" "Is he dead?" asked Dukat coolly. Garak pulled himself across to Julian with an effort, feeling the pain from his ribs acutely. His head spun dizzily, and he had to pause for a moment to collect himself. He picked up the discarded tricorder and ran it over the doctor's body, frowning at the unfamiliar display. "He's alive, Dukat, and you'd better hope he stays that way." Garak glared at his old adversary. "I don't think Starfleet would take too kindly to the news that you'd killed one of their officers." Dukat looked irritated, but after a moment's consideration he turned to his men. "We'll have to take both of them. Bring the medical kit, and find something to cover _him_ with; Doctor Bashir may find the sight of him appealing, but I do not." Dukat turned back to Garak. "You, tailor, can make sure the doctor does stay alive. Consider it as one last service you can perform for the Cardassian people." --- Julian awoke to darkness, and pain. He looked around in mounting panic, trying to see where he was. He struggled to sit up, and let out an involuntary cry as a hand pressed gently against his shoulder, holding him down. "Keep still, doctor, you took a disruptor blast in the chest and I'm really not sure if I've been treating it correctly." At the sound of Garak's voice Julian sighed with relief. "Garak, thank god! Are you alright?" The doctor could just make out the outline of his friend bending over him, as his eyes gradually grew accustomed to the gloom. It wasn't totally dark as he had at first believed, but the level of light was still much better suited to Cardassian eyes than to human ones. "I'm fine, doctor. It's you I'm worried about. The effects of a Cardassian disruptor can be - unpleasant," said Garak slowly. He sat back on his heels, turning the tissue regenerator he had been using on Julian's chest over and over in his hands. The doctor watched Garak's nervous fidgeting in silence for a moment before speaking. "Do you know where we are?" he asked fearfully. "At the moment we're still on Risa, doctor, though I don't know precisely where," replied Garak. "It won't have been possible for Dukat to bring a Cardassian warship into orbit without attracting unwelcome attention. He and his men must have come in as regular transit passengers. I imagine we're being held here until a shuttle, or some such, is dispatched to pick us up discreetly." "Then what?" enquired the doctor with some trepidation. "Then Dukat will doubtless see that you are returned safely to Deep Space Nine," said Garak with a slight shrug of his shoulders. "I meant, what will he do with you?" persisted Julian. "Oh, Dukat fully intends to take me back to Cardassia Prime, I'm afraid. Then he'll put me on trial, and I fear he won't be satisfied with anything less than my death this time," said Garak simply. "I won't let that happen, Garak," insisted Julian stubbornly. "He has no right..." "Doctor, you're really not in any position to prevent Dukat from doing as he pleases. I took a risk in leaving DS9's dubious sanctuary, and regrettably this is the outcome. There's nothing you or I can do to change that now," said Garak reasonably. "So, this is all my fault," said Julian miserably. "If I hadn't insisted that you come on this damn trip..." "It's not your fault and it's very easy to be wise - with the benefit of hindsight," pointed out the tailor gently. "Besides which, I wanted to come here with you. Now, lie still and tell me what else I need to do to check your condition." Julian let the change of subject pass and motioned Garak to hand him the tricorder. He surveyed himself with it and studied the results. He sighed in relief as he saw the damage was relatively minor, and well on the way to healing with the care Garak had already given him. Evidently the disruptor had been on a low level setting. Julian showed the display to the tailor with a faint smile. "See, Garak, I'm fine. You did the right thing using the tissue regenerator. Another session with it and there'll be nothing to see at all. I wish I could say the same thing for my shirt though," he added ruefully, looking at the scorched patch left by the disruptor. He sat up and pulled himself closer to Garak. "Now, come here and let me check you. I doubt if moving around has done anything to improve the state of your ribs." Julian checked the Cardassian thoroughly, and was gratified to find his condition slightly improved. The surface bruising had responded well to the treatment he'd been able to give him earlier and the effects of the concussion no longer seemed to be troubling him. It rapidly became apparent though that the cracked ribs were causing him a lot of pain. "You don't have to be so damned stoical," said Julian with mock severity. "I can give you something for the pain." He searched through his med-kit until he found what he was looking for. "There's no need, doctor," Garak demurred. "I'm fine." "I'm the doctor, so I think I'll be the best judge of that," insisted Julian. "And you're not fine; you need proper treatment." "Doctor, I know you're worried..." "Of course I'm worried," admitted Julian, interrupting him. He carefully pressed the hypospray against the tailor's neck, seeing him relax slightly as the painkiller entered his system. "When I saw you lying on the floor like that I didn't know what the hell was going on," he continued. "Well, it didn't do much for my nerves to see you struck by a disruptor," said Garak with asperity. "That was a foolish thing to do" "I couldn't just let him take you, Garak! I know how Cardassian trials work." Julian paused as his voice threatened to crack. "I can't simply stand by and let him kill you." "Doctor, I'm sorry, but there really is nothing you can do," said Garak, his voice barely more than a whisper. "Dukat has good reason to want me dead, and I no longer have the - connections I once had to protect me." Julian sat looking at the tailor for a moment longer, then he closed the space between them. Carefully he slipped his arms around Garak, holding on to him as tightly as he dared, not wanting to hurt him any more, but needing the reassurance of the physical contact. Gratefully the Cardassian returned the embrace, wincing slightly as he did so. Julian tried to draw back, but Garak merely tightened his grip, unwilling to let him go. The tailor felt an unaccustomed emotion sweep over him and he shuddered. Julian looked at him in concern. "Garak..." he ventured tentatively. "I'm sorry. I - I find myself somewhat - apprehensive," said Garak quietly. "It seems that I've finally run out of options, and I... I'm at a loss to know how to deal with this situation." "I understand," murmured Julian, his concerned brown eyes meeting Garak's fear haunted blue ones. "In your shoes I'd be afraid too. It's nothing to be ashamed of. And whatever I _can_ do, I will. I'm not going to let Dukat kill you - not without a fight anyway..." Julian's voice broke completely, and he laid his head against Garak's broad shoulder. The tailor stroked his hair softly, offering him what little comfort he could. "Thank you," Garak whispered, his lips brushing the doctor's cheek in a gentle caress, "Julian..." The last was said almost inaudibly and the younger man raised his head slowly, unsure that he'd heard correctly. "Garak...or perhaps I should say Elim. Did you say what I think you did?" Julian rubbed at his damp eyes, looking at the tailor with honest surprise. From somewhere Garak found a faint smile for his companion. "Ah, I had forgotten you knew my given name. And yes, I did call you Julian. Do you mind?" "Of course I don't. I'd almost given up hope of you ever calling me anything but "doctor". You were so adamant; why did you change your mind?" asked the younger man curiously. "I'm not sure, but it seemed - appropriate somehow, Julian." Garak tried out the sound of it again, taking pleasure from the smile it brought to the doctor's face. "Well, whatever your reasons, I'm glad - Elim. Better late than never, he added and instantly regretted his thoughtlessness. "Oh God, I'm sorry..." "Hush, there's no harm done," said Garak softly, settling Julian back into his embrace. The doctor leaned across and kissed the tailor apologetically, a chastened expression on his face. His tone was serious when he spoke again. "I think we should try and rest now, Elim. We've both been hurt and we need to conserve our strength. We have to be ready if any kind of chance to get out of here presents itself." "And do you think that's likely, Julian?" asked Garak, unexpectedly deferring to the younger man. A look of determination etched itself on the doctor's features. "I don't know, but they do say that you make your own luck. So, let's just be sure that any luck that comes our way from now on is good." --- Julian dozed fitfully. At his side Garak too finally slept, the pain in his ribs dulled sufficiently by the painkillers Julian had given him to allow him to rest. The doctor wasn't sure how much time had passed when he came fully awake once more, as a shaft of sunlight fell across his closed eyelids. He blinked at the sudden, unexpected brightness, his eyes taking time to readjust. Carefully he slipped from Garak's lax embrace and, climbing to his feet, went in search of the source of the light. The increased illumination allowed Julian to see his surroundings clearly for the first time. He and Garak were confined in a small, drab room. The door was at one end and fit tightly into its frame. It had no internal handle and offered no possibility of escape, as far as the doctor could see. The only furniture in the place was a narrow bench pushed against the far wall. The sunlight filtered into the room through a small aperture over one end of it. Quickly Julian clambered onto the bench, reaching up to investigate the opening. Excitement began to mount in him as he realised that what he had discovered was a boarded up window, and that one of the planks covering it had come loose and slipped slightly, allowing the sunlight into the room. He began to tug at the boards and was finally rewarded when one of them pulled completely free, the wood giving way with a sharp crack. "Julian?" The doctor turned at the sound of Garak's voice. He jumped down from the bench and crossed the room to kneel at the tailor's side. "I think I may have found a way out of here, Elim," he said excitedly, a bright smile curving his full lips. "There's a boarded up window in the far wall of this room. Dukat's people probably didn't even notice it was there. I've managed to partially uncover it. Do you think you would be able to help me remove the rest of the planks? As far as I'm concerned the quicker we can get out of here the better." "I shall be only too glad to help," said Garak with obvious relief colouring his voice. Leaning heavily on Julian he got slowly to his feet, wincing at the stab of pain from his damaged ribs. "Are you sure you can manage?" asked Julian with concern. "Right now a few cracked ribs are the least of my worries, believe me," Garak assured him. "Now, what would you like me to do?" Between them the two men were soon able to uncover the entire window, but it was immediately apparent that it would prove less help to them than they had hoped. Julian glanced across at Garak, seeing his own disappointment and helpless frustration mirrored in the tailor's clear blue eyes. "Julian, I'm sorry," said Garak quietly. "It simply isn't large enough to accommodate me." He surveyed the doctor appraisingly. "But unless I'm much mistaken I believe that _you_ could get through it." Julian's eyes widened in shock as he realised exactly what Garak was suggesting. "I can't leave you here," he protested. "Of course you can, my foolish young friend; you have to," insisted Garak gently. "If you go now you can try to contact the authorities and get help. I don't see that we have any other choice." "No, I can't do that." Julian shook his head firmly. "What if Dukat should return while I'm gone?" "If he does, then so be it," replied Garak with a faint smile. "At least I'll know that you're safe." "Elim...Do you realise what you're asking me to do?" Julian's anguish was clearly evident. He reached out, his hands catching hold of Garak's shoulders imploringly. With some difficulty the tailor held himself aloof, willing himself not to respond to the doctor's warm touch. "Julian, if any more harm should come to you because of me, do you think that I would be able to forgive myself? You're an innocent party caught up in a situation not of your making." Garak's blue eyes regarded the doctor seriously. "You now have the chance to get out of here, an option that simply isn't open to me. You have to leave me behind, Julian. If we both stay here then Dukat will certainly take me back to Cardassia and execute me. But, if you go, you at least will be safe and you may be able to find help. That sounds the only sensible course of action to me." "I know, Elim, but..." Julian tried again, but Garak silenced him with an emphatic shake of the head. "No more arguments, Julian, you're just wasting time. Please... I don't want you to leave, but I have to let you go." Garak paused, taking a deep breath before he continued. "My dear Julian, don't make this any harder for me than it already is." Julian dropped his hands from the tailor's arms. He knew Garak was right; at least if he left he had the chance to bring help. It didn't make him feel any better about abandoning Garak to an uncertain fate though. If Gul Dukat returned before he did he knew perfectly well that he was unlikely to see his friend again. "Alright," he said at last, "I'll go, but I don't feel right about doing this." Impulsively Julian drew Garak to him, kissing him warmly. The tailor responded despite his best intentions and his arms came up to hug the doctor fiercely. For a long moment the two men embraced, oblivious to their surroundings, neither wanting to be the first to draw back. At last Garak pulled reluctantly away. "Please go now, Julian," he begged. *Or I'll never let you go,* he added to himself. "I'll be fine," he finished out loud. "I'll be back soon, Elim," said Julian over his shoulder as he forced the broken window open as far as it would go. He pulled himself up and wriggled through the narrow gap. It was a tight squeeze and he felt his shirt catch on the broken wood, but finally he manoeuvred himself through and tumbled to the ground outside. Hurriedly he sprang up, looking around for any indication that his unconventional exit had been noticed. There was no sign of a guard, but Julian had no doubt that at least one of the Cardassian soldiers was somewhere close by. He could only hope that he wasn't paying any particular attention to his captives, wherever he was, not expecting them to find a means of escape. Cautiously Julian skirted round the outside of the building; it appeared to be part of an abandoned farm. In the distance he could see more buildings and he hoped that they would be occupied. He took a deep breath, now was the moment of truth, and launched himself into a run. He headed straight for the distant signs of habitation, wanting to cover the intervening ground as fast as he could. To his immense relief there was no indication of pursuit and he allowed himself to relax slightly, concentrating only on running. All that mattered now was finding help - and getting back to Garak before Gul Dukat did. --- At last Julian reached his objective, and to his delight he found that the buildings were indeed occupied. A young Risan man looked up in surprise at his approach, frowning as he took in the doctor's dishevelled state. Julian was panting hard from the unaccustomed exertion of running, but finally he found his voice. "Please, I need your help. I'm a Starfleet officer, a doctor. I have to contact the Risan authorities. My friend is... Cardassians abducted us... I had to leave him, but he's in grave danger. Please..." Julian ran out of words, but his desperate anxiety, the pleading look in his eyes, seemed to convince the young Risan. "I'll help you contact the authorities," he said, turning to enter the building. "Come inside, tell me what happened." --- The next few hours passed in a blur for Julian as he repeated his story to more people than he cared to count. It seemed an interminably long time before he finally managed to convince the Risan security council that at least three armed Cardassians had actually managed to circumvent their weapons scans, and were moreover, almost certainly intending an unauthorised shuttle landing. By the time the council had got over their righteous indignation at this flagrant breach of their security, and agreed to send a detachment of guards to help free Garak and, hopefully, to detain the aforementioned Cardassians, Julian was about ready to scream from frustration. Julian's unwitting host, a Risan farmer by the name of Tomas, did his best to calm his distraught guest, offering him a meal and the chance to clean himself up. The doctor had refused both, his frantic concern for Garak overriding every other consideration. It was all he could do to restrain himself from running straight back to where the tailor was confined, but he knew that if he were to be recaptured it would hardly help matters, and would probably only lead to reprisals. All he could sensibly do for now was wait for the Risan guards to arrive - and hope they wouldn't be too late. --- Eventually the promised detachment of guards arrived, together with the Risan security chief Julian had dealt with earlier. The doctor rapidly found himself losing his temper as he was once again subjected to a barrage of questions, for which he had no answers, about Gul Dukat and how he had managed to bring illegal weapons onto Risa. Before he had the chance to say something he might regret, Julian was interrupted by the unmistakable sound of a shuttlecraft's thrusters. He raced for the door, the Risan on his heels. "Dear God, it's the shuttle Dukat was waiting for!" Julian turned, his expression panicked. "We have to get back to Garak now." The security chief rapidly went up in the doctor's estimation as he had his men back in their ground transport vehicles and on their way across the fields towards the shuttle in a matter of minutes. "I take it I'm not going to be able to persuade you to wait here, Doctor Bashir," he had said, not unkindly. Julian hadn't needed any further invitation, and had quickly clambered into one of the vehicles. Now he watched intently as they approached the grounded shuttle, his heart pounding in his chest. As they drew closer still Julian could see several figures running from the shuttle in the direction of the building where Garak was still imprisoned. No doubt they were warning Dukat of the Risans' impending arrival. Bursts of disruptor fire flared briefly and Julian felt the ground transport vehicle swerve abruptly to avoid them. The Risan guards quickly responded to the attack, pinning the Cardassians down and soon rendering them ineffective by virtue of their greater numbers. The moment his vehicle came to a stop Julian leapt out, heading for his erstwhile prison and ignoring the shouted warning of the security chief. The previously locked door now stood open and the doctor halted his headlong rush, approaching cautiously. It was still gloomy inside the small room and it took Julian a moment to make out the two figures in front of him. As his eyes adjusted and he could see more clearly he pulled up short, uncertain how to proceed. Garak was slumped on the narrow bench, a look of pain etched onto his features. Gul Dukat stood over him, a disruptor held to the tailor's temple. A faint trace of amusement crossed Dukat's face as he registered the doctor's arrival. "Well, well, Doctor Bashir, how pleasant to see you again," observed Dukat sardonically. "I'm sure Garak missed your company while you were gone." "The Risan security forces are outside, Gul Dukat. Why don't you just let Garak go?" said Julian quietly, ignoring the pointed jibe. "Now why should I want to do that?" queried Dukat, eyeridges raised in mock perplexity. "You don't seem to be in much of a position to bargain, doctor. I have a disruptor, whereas you, on the other hand, are unarmed." "This charade is over, Dukat," said Julian, his voice suddenly sounding incredibly tired. "You're not going to be able to take Garak back to Cardassia now." "Well, that's not essential, doctor. I'll admit it would have been - tidier, to have him formally tried, but given the circumstances I'm quite prepared to settle for killing him here and now," concluded Dukat calmly. Julian's eyes widened in horror, and he took an involuntary step towards the two Cardassians. Immediately Dukat swung the disruptor round to cover him. "Doctor - Julian, please stay where you are," Garak called out hurriedly. "Don't even think about doing anything foolish." "For once I'm disposed to agree with you, tailor." Dukat glanced briefly at Garak before returning his attention to Julian. "And doctor, it really would be _most_ foolish of you to come any closer." Julian hesitated for just a moment and then, squaring his shoulders determinedly, took another step towards Garak. "I don't think you'll shoot me, Dukat," said Julian slowly. "I don't believe you want to cause any - misunderstandings with the Federation by making an unprovoked attack on a Starfleet officer, an unarmed Starfleet officer at that." Disconcertingly Dukat's disruptor remained pointed straight at the doctor's chest. "It's a risk that might be worth taking after all," observed Dukat. "What do you think, Garak? Is Doctor Bashir's life a fitting payment for my father's disgrace and execution? Shall I let you live, tailor; should I send you back to your exile with the good doctor's death on your conscience?" "Doctor Bashir has nothing to do with our - disagreement, Dukat," said Garak angrily. "Let him go. It was my death you sought. Isn't that enough for you?" "Ah, but your demise would be so quick, so final. Now that I think about it, it seems to me that what you did to my father, your betrayal, demands something more than that." Dukat looked from Julian to Garak and back again. "I know your weakness now, tailor, and I don't think you would find it so easy to carry the guilt of the doctor's regrettable, and untimely, death." "I'm not the one holding the disruptor," said Garak steadily. "That's very easy to say, Garak." Dukat seemed amused by the tailor's words. "I'm not sure you'll really find it that simple to rationalise away the blame though." He smiled unpleasantly, enjoying Garak's evident discomfiture. "It's never easy - losing a loved one. Oh, and Doctor Bashir, please let me assure you there's nothing personal about this." "Forgive me if I don't find that particularly comforting," muttered Julian with heavy sarcasm. He briefly considered making a run for safety, but abruptly realised what a futile effort that would be; Dukat could adjust his aim too quickly. Julian's train of thought was interrupted by the sound of footsteps approaching at a run. Without thinking he glanced in the direction of the noise and missed seeing Dukat's fingers tighten on the disruptor. Garak, however, saw the slight movement and reacted instinctively. Ignoring the protest from his injured ribs he hurled himself at Julian, knocking him to the ground and landing awkwardly on top of him. The disruptor beam passed harmlessly, scant inches above them. Before Dukat could take a second shot at the two men the Risan security chief hurried into the room, several of his men hard on his heels. Their weapons rose to cover Dukat, and with an ironic grimace the Cardassian let his disruptor fall to the floor with a loud clatter. "Well, Garak," he addressed the sprawled figure of the tailor, "it seems that the debt remains unsettled - for a while longer at least." With that Dukat allowed himself to be ushered from the building without a backward glance. Two of the Risan guards hurried forward, carefully helping Garak to sit up. As soon as the tailor's weight was lifted from him Julian scrambled up, regarding his friend with concern. "Garak needs proper medical treatment," said Julian, turning to the security chief. "He was already hurt, this is only going to have aggravated his condition. Please can you arrange for him to be taken to the nearest medical facility as soon as possible." The Risan nodded and quickly dispensed the necessary orders. As he did Julian turned back to Garak, catching his eye. In spite of his concern he managed a smile and leaning forward slightly he whispered to the tailor. "Thank you, Elim," was all the doctor said aloud, but his expressive eyes conveyed his gratitude, and a wealth of deeper emotions, far more eloquently. --- Julian and Garak slowly threaded their way through the bustling Risan marketplace, all but oblivious to the sights and sounds around them. They were finally heading back to their lodgings together, each deep in their own thoughts. The Cardassian had been pronounced fit by a competent Risan doctor after having his broken ribs repaired. He was still a little stiff and sore, but otherwise was quite his normal self, and had been only too glad to be released from the medical centre. By way of contrast, Julian had been unusually subdued since their rescue. Even the news that Gul Dukat had been unceremoniously placed on the first transport ship off of Risa and forbidden to return had done little to raise his spirits. "Julian, I know you're upset about recent events, but it's over now. Dukat is gone and we're both quite safe and unharmed," said Garak at last, concerned at the doctor's continuing withdrawn silence. "Now we have another week or so here on Risa to relax and forget that anything untoward ever happened." "How can you take this all so calmly, Elim?" Julian turned to regard his friend with disbelieving eyes. "Dukat threatened to have you killed; he fired a disruptor at me with every intention of killing me. If you hadn't pushed me out of the way we wouldn't be having this conversation now! Personally I find that rather unsettling, but you're behaving as if everything's been fine all along." "On the contrary, my dear Julian, I am only too conscious of the fact that there might have been a very different outcome to this situation." Garak smiled slightly. "I simply prefer not to dwell on such unpleasant possibilities." "I owe you my life, Elim..." Julian's voice trailed off and he looked away from the tailor, becoming suddenly absorbed in the wares displayed on the stalls they were passing. "Well, I guess that makes us even then, doesn't it?" said Garak gently. "I haven't forgotten what you did for me - the implant, remember." "Yes of course I remember, but it isn't..." "No buts, Julian," insisted the tailor, "without your help then I wouldn't have survived, and it was a brave thing you did." Garak laid a hand lightly on the doctor's shoulder. "Today I was able to repay that debt." Julian stopped abruptly, heedless of the people around him and turned to meet the Cardassian's steady gaze, reading the warmth and affection in his blue eyes. "You - you don't blame me for what happened here then." said Julian quietly. "Of course not, why ever would you think that?" asked Garak in surprise. "Dukat wanted to use me to hurt you. Our being here together gave him a hold of sorts over you. I could understand if you wanted to call a halt to our relationship after this," replied Julian. "Oh, my dear Julian, what a foolish idea," exclaimed the tailor. "I value what we share a great deal and I don't intend to let Dukat's threats put a stop to it." "You really mean that, don't you?" said Julian slowly, his eyes never leaving Garak's face. "Yes, I do, and..." Garak leaned closer to Julian, lowering his voice conspiratorially, "I have every intention of proving it to you just as soon as we get back to our suite." His lips curved mischievously, drawing an answering smile - a very relieved one at that, and an anticipatory shiver from the doctor. The two men resumed walking, both now anxious to reach the sanctuary of their lodgings as soon as possible. When they finally entered the suite Julian barely had time to close the door behind him before Garak, as good as his word, reached out to draw him into his arms. The doctor returned the hug enthusiastically. After a long moment the tailor released him, holding him at arms length and studying his face critically. "So, there'll be no more self-recrimination now I trust," said Garak firmly. "None at all," agreed Julian. "I'm just glad we're back here together - and in one piece." With infinite tenderness he cupped Garak's face in his hands, leaning forward to kiss him gently. The tailor's lips parted under his own and Garak's tongue slowly and tenderly began to explore the doctor's mouth. Julian let his eyes close, concentrating only on the gentle pressure of the tailor's lips and the delightful taste of him. As Julian lightly caressed Garak's face, trailing his long, slender fingers over the the sensitive ridges and the smooth grey skin the Cardassian slid his hands up under the doctor's shirt. The warm touch roving over his body sent shivers running along Julian's spine. Garak felt the younger man begin to tremble and let his hands roam further, slipping into the waistband of Julian's trousers and reaching down to stroke the silky skin of his backside. With an effort the doctor pulled himself free of Garak's embrace, his chest rising and falling in time with his rapid breathing. He ignored the tailor's look of frustration and surprise and quickly began to remove his clothes. As understanding dawned Garak did likewise and in moments Julian's warm, eager body was back in his arms, smooth, caramel skin pressed closely against leathery grey. "That feels much better, Elim," murmured Julian with a contented sigh, "but please don't stop what you were doing before." With a smile Garak resumed his gentle exploration of Julian's body. The doctor in his turn sought out the tailor's most sensitive places, caressing them with his lips and his agile fingers. Soon the warm glow of arousal began to suffuse both men, each feeling the other's growing firmness pressing against them. Julian reached down, taking Garak's erection into his hand and stroking it firmly. The tailor moaned deep in his throat as his body began to react more strongly to the doctor's touch. He closed his eyes, revelling in Julian's caresses. His own hands moved over the younger man's backside. Gently he slid one finger, then a second inside him, eliciting a gasp of pleasure from the doctor. "Oh God, Elim," whispered Julian, "please, I want you inside me." Garak didn't need to be asked twice, and pausing only to retrieve a jar of lubricant, he drew Julian to the bed and pushed him gently down onto it. The doctor settled himself onto his stomach and the tailor moved to kneel between his legs. Garak's hands were shaking as he carefully spread the cool, lubricating gel and Julian glanced over his shoulder, surprised at the tailor's apparent nervousness. "I'm fine, Julian," said Garak in answer to the questioning look in the doctor's dark eyes. "It's simply that, at one point, I wasn't sure that we would have the chance to be together like this again. Now that we are I find myself feeling..." Unable to find the right words to convey precisely what he was feeling Garak gestured helplessly with his hands. Julian nodded slowly. "I understand," he said simply and settled himself back amongst the pillows once more. A moment later he felt Garak's erect sex enter him, filling him with warmth. He sighed contentedly as the tailor began to thrust gently into him. His arousal swiftly intensified and he started to press back against Garak, taking him in more deeply, matching his thrusts to the tailor's. Julian felt his own sex begin to throb insistently, demanding attention and he slipped a hand down to grasp himself firmly. It was intensely pleasurable, toying with himself as Garak continued to push steadily into him. Despite his best endeavours Garak was too keyed up to hold off his climax for long. Julian gasped as the tailor's fingers dug into him convulsively and he thrust hard once more and came, crying out inarticulately. The doctor felt Garak's violent trembling resonating through his body and began to stroke his own sex more insistently, soon feeling the dizzying sensation of his eagerly anticipated release overtake him. He gave himself up to the delightful experience, savouring every last moment of it. Slowly Julian's breathing quietened and a delicious lassitude spread through him. He became aware of Garak's presence once more. The Cardassian was lying curled up at his side, watching him affectionately, a faint smile playing about his lips. Julian smiled back at him, reaching out to brush the tailor's cheek lightly with one hand. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Elim," he said softly. Garak caught hold of the restless hand bringing it to his lips to kiss each of the slender, damp fingers in turn. "Well I'm sure there would be plenty of others eager to take my place," observed Garak. "Oh, maybe..." conceded Julian. "But, as you don't have to do without me, don't dwell on what _might_ have happened," admonished the tailor with mock severity. "Don't worry, I won't," said Julian, a contented smile curving his lips as Garak's rough tongue toyed gently with his sensitive fingertips. "But I do know one thing, Elim," he continued. "And what's that?" enquired Garak curiously, looking up into Julian's warm brown eyes. "Whatever happens," replied Julian firmly, "we really ought to get away from it all like this more often." --- continued in 'A Taste for Vengeance'