The BLTS Archive- Broken Angel by T'Thrill (TThrill1216@aol.com) --- This story contains explicit m/m sexual encounters and non-consensual sex scenes. If you are under the age of 18, or these subjects to not interest you, please do not read. Disclaimer – Copyright 2002 – T'Thrill This is an original work of fiction based on Star Trek. The story is my own, and not used for making any profit. It is not intended to infringe on the intellectual property rights of Paramount, Viacom, or any other of their assignees or licensees. The characters are the property of Paramount and I have made fair, transformative use of them. The song, “Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground,” is the property of Columbia Records, and the same disclaimers apply to this corporation. The author's copyright only extends to the original material in this work. Warnings - hurt/comfort, angst and non-consensual sex Acknowledgement – My sincere appreciation to Marcee, who was my sounding board and right arm during the writing of this story. And to Selek, who is always there to beta for me when I need him. And to the 'Fascinating!' group, who offered suggestions to make this story as crisp as possible. --- Chapter 1 If you had not have fallen... then I would not have found you... Angel flying too close to the ground. And I patched up your broken wing... and hung around awhile... trying to keep your spirits up... And your fever down. I knew someday that you would fly away... for .... Love's the greatest healer to be found. So leave me...if you need to... I will still remember... Angel flying too close to the ground. So fly on... fly on past the speed of sound... I'd rather see you up... than see you down. So leave me...if you need to.. I will still remember... Angel flying too close to the ground. The song is "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" By Willie Nelson --- Computer, record. Doctor's Private Log: Stardate 6723.9 Leonard McCoy, USS Enterprise recording. Security code...voiceprint ID...Leonard McCoy...end list. First, for anyone who ever figures out how to play this, let me tell you that I'm drunk, quite drunk and before this night's over I plan on getting much drunker. Not that anyone'll ever hear it 'cause I plan to bury this chip so deep that it'll take 'em a thousand years to dig it up. But the fact is, I've gotta talk to somebody. So cheers, my multi-circuited friend, you're elected. You're the only one left who I can talk to about what's going on. Okay, that's outta the way. I just wanna say I get it…I finally get it. I'm usually not quite this slow at catching on but there's just some things you don't wanna admit, even to yourself. You see I've spent the last five years onboard this tub watching his displays of brilliance, insanity, charm, determination, loyalty, fool heartiness, humor, recklessness, devotion, and any of a thousand other narratives I could use to describe him. I've nursed him through injuries of both the body and spirit that would've killed most men. I've repaired his organs, set his broken bones, sealed his lacerations, and offered him a drink and a shoulder when all the gadgets in sickbay wouldn't touch his pain. I've held him when he's cried, argued with him when he's wrong and made love to him when he's lonely. I've seen him through the throes of fever, depression, excitement, confusion, boredom and passion. I've seen him give those needing it, a hefty clout on the chin, and give those in need the proverbial shirt off his back. But, dammit, I never thought I'd be around to see the day that Jim Kirk gave up. Today I had to watch him do just that. Guess I better start by settin' the record straight. I love Jim Kirk. I love him as a brother, as a friend, and as a commander; because God only knows whether or not we'd be pulling into spacedock tomorrow if he hadn't been the one in the center seat. And, yes, I love him as the lover who'd come to me at those times when your soul just calls out to be with someone who knows everything about you. Now don't get me wrong, we never considered settin' up house together or anything like that, but we always knew we were there for each other. Being in the hind-end of space does something funny to you. It makes you feel cut off from everything and everybody who's ever been important in your life. There's an aloneness out here that will eat away at you, if you let it. Jim was like that right after his brother and sister-in-law died. Yeah, we saved the boy, but having to let him off at Starbase 18 to be sent back to Aurelan's family was rough on him. He knew damned well that a ship was no place to keep the kid, and he wouldn't have been allowed to let him stay here even if he'd wanted to. But when he had to turn Peter over to the counselor, he felt like the last tie to the life he had before had been cut. That was the first night he came to me. I remember it like it was yesterday. Hard to believe that was almost four years ago. I'd been dining on ashes, myself. We got there too late to save Sam and although I'd done everything I could think of, Aurelan died too. Then, if things weren't bad enough, I'd about blinded Spock because I hadn't taken into consideration that those damned creatures could be killed using only the ultraviolet bandwidth of light. If it hadn't been for that crazy second eyelid, it would've been permanent for sure. So, there I was in my cabin, feeling pretty sorry for myself when he showed up. He said he wanted something for a headache, but I knew he wanted someone to talk to. Otherwise he could've just gone to the medic on duty, gotten her to give him a pill, and that would've been the end of it. No, that night Jim needed a friend. We both did. Over a couple of drinks, he started telling me things about himself that I never knew. That was the night he told me he had a son and that the kid's mother didn't want Jim anywhere near him. He talked about the many failed relationships in his life and the one person he thought he could see himself spending the rest of his life with, but it seemed there was no chance of that happenin'. I didn't ask him who; it didn't matter, and the truth be known, maybe I didn't wanna know. He talked about his life as a youngster on the farm and the death of his parents. He told me about his brother and the life they had growing up together. He told me how much he was going to miss him. Sure, they had completely different lives and didn't get to see much of each other, but Sam represented all of the things that Jim had missed. Not that he didn't love the life he had chosen, but when things really got bad, he could go for a visit and get a taste of the family he missed out on having. Now, except for a nephew he would probably rarely see, his family was gone. I remember watching him as he gripped the glass so hard that I thought he was gonna shatter it. His knuckles turned white as he fought back the emotions that were building inside of him. In the last days he'd been running on pure adrenaline and now the realization of all he'd lost was crashing in on him. He started to stand up and I knew where he was going; back to the privacy of his cabin to do whatever it is he always did to pull himself together, alone. Something made me reach out and grab his arm, stopping him from leaving. I pulled him back down beside me on the couch, it wasn't hard since his resistance was shot, and I put my arms around him. He buried his head in my neck and I felt a hot tear run down my neck. It's not that he sobbed, or anything like that; I've only seen him do that once, but I'll get to that later. When he finally pulled his head up and looked at me, there was still sadness in those eyes but there was also something else. There was a need that I'd never seen from him before. Somehow, around the lump of emotion that seemed caught in his throat, he managed to choke out one word, "Bones..." It was all he needed to say. I knew. I leaned my head toward him and he met my mouth with his own. Now, if you'da told me we were gonna end up on my couch kissing and touching with that kind of intensity, I would'a said you were out of your ever-lovin' mind! But that's exactly what happened. I swear, on that night, we were two madmen. Any clothing that wouldn't give easily got ripped out of the way. Somehow we ended up on my bunk and for the next several hours we tried to devour each other. Damned near succeeded, too! I gotta tell ya, there are things that happened that night that I didn't know I was capable of. Hell, I've never cum so many times in my life, and that includes the day I stayed home 'sick' from school when I was fourteen years old! Sometime around the middle of the night we fell asleep, or passed out, I was never quite sure which. But, in either case, it was like we had both burned out all that was tearing us apart. The next morning, when I was finally able to open my eyes, I saw he was already up and dressed. Well, in everything but his gold command shirt, it was lying in pieces somewhere. He sat down on the edge of the bed and ran his fingers down the side of my face. Reaching for my hand, he pulled it up and, with a gentleness I didn't know he possessed, kissed it. "Thanks," he whispered, "I don't know how I could've gotten through last night without you." I just nodded and mumbled something about, "Anytime," or something like that, and he left. I knew that he'd be back when he needed me, or I needed him, but it wasn't going to be a permanent thing between us, and that was okay. What we had together was more important than that. And that's how it was. Every month or so, when the pressures got too bad for either of us, the other would just seem to know and show up for a night of unrestrained passion. In the mean time, he had other lovers and so did I. That worked for us; that is until we started this downward spiral that has brought us to where we find ourselves today. This whole mess started about two months ago. That's when the two of them actually got together, so to speak. Not that Jim would've ever told me, but there's some evidence that a doctor just can't miss. Especially a doctor who knows his patient like I know Jim Kirk. Maybe I'd better start at the beginning. We'd been caught-up in a situation between the Romulans and some of the smaller planets on the outer rim for several months. They'd keep busting across this Goddamned imaginary line some idiot drew out here and we had to stay in the area trying to keep them on the other side of the Neutral Zone. It was nothin' more than a damned cat and mouse game. The whole crew was on edge, and it seemed like we'd never get away from there. Jim knew they must have been settin' up a base of operation, but searching planet after planet had turned up nothin'. Then one afternoon, Nyota was able to trace a signal to some hot, godforsaken rock. Seems the Romulans were building a communication's station and planning on settlin' in for a nice, long stay. Well, with Spock already looking like one of the devils and me havin' altered Jim to pass for one once before, it wasn't long before the two of them were headed down, both sportin' pointed ears and the latest Romulan garb, to see about putting a halt to their activities. I was kinda concerned that Jim would be spotted right off. Because they were in such an all-fired hurry, I only had time to add small points to Jim's ears and didn't take time to arch the eyebrows at all. They were gone for several days; nearly got themselves captured more than once. While we were in a dogfight with a Romulan ship that kept sickbay full for days, they were having to hide out in the caves because their cover had been blown. You know, why anyone would think I can patch people up when they are bouncing the ship all over hell and half a' Georgia, is a mystery to me. It's a wonder I didn't lose several of those patients, but I guess I'm gettin' used to havin' to aim a surgi-laser with one hand and hold on with the other. I may never be able to do surgery on steady ground again! Okay, back to what I was saying. Where was I? Oh, yeah. Well, by the time they got back to the ship, they were both pretty beat up. Nothing serious, just mostly contusions. Jim had some pretty bad scrapes on his shoulder and back and some bruises on his legs. Spock had a pretty good bump on his head and a couple of bruised ribs, but neither one had any serious underlying damage. Jim said one of the caves they were navigating had collapsed, which accounted for most of their injuries. Other than that, they weren't saying much, either to each other or me. I didn't give it much thought because they were both beat. I treated their injuries and reshaped Jim's ears, which didn't take but a few minutes because I'd done such small modifications before they left. After that, I gave them a couple of hours to clean up, rest a little, grab somethin' to eat, and then told them to report back to sickbay. With the Romulans high-tailin' it back across the Neutral Zone, it was the excuse I needed for both of them to submit to their quarterly physicals. Both were overdue and every time I brought the subject up, they always found some good reason why they couldn't give me the hour I needed. I wasn't going to have my reports incomplete at the end of the mission and it was coming down to the wire. Being the CMO, and in charge of declaring them fit for duty, does have its advantages every now and then. I told them that unless we got this outta the way, neither one of them was ever going to see the bridge again. Spock showed back up, but Jim was nowhere around when the time came. That was okay. It gave me the chance to take care of Spock first. The fact is, I wanted some time to talk to Jim alone. I knew we were headed back to Earth in the next few weeks and I wanted to see what he had heard from Starfleet about reassignments. Hell, let's be honest, I was wonderin' what was going to happen between us when this mission ended. Anyway, Spock breezed through his exam, but he was about as anxious as I've ever seen him. The only thing I noted was that his hormone levels were somewhat elevated. Now considering what they'd just come through, and the fact that it had to be pretty damned stressful, and the fact that there were times when Spock's constant battle against his human half often played havoc with the readings, I didn't think much about it. But he seemed in a mighty big hurry to get outta there. Course, it's not unusual for the crew to need time alone after a difficult mission to sort things out, and our esteemed Vulcan's no different. We all know he needs time to meditate every so often, so I just chalked up his nervousness to his need to fulfill those Vulcan rituals of his. After giving him the 'all-clear' to return to his cabin, he took off outta sickbay like the preverbal bat outta hell. I paged Jim in his cabin and he tried to give me the run-around about needing to file reports and such, and that he would get with me in a few days. I don't know why I have to go through this with him every time, but that man just about has to be unconscious to get him on a bio-bed. But this seemed different, like he was fighting it even more than usual. After I gave him a few well-placed threats, he relented. By the time he showed up in sickbay, he had a whole new string of excuses why this wasn't a good time. But I was ready for him. I wasn't buying any of his lame excuses and I told him that flat out to his face. Now like I say, Jim and I were about as close as two people could be, and I couldn't figure out why he was fighting me so hard over something as simple as a physical. Hell, he'd had one every three months and had always flown through them with the highest rating of anyone on the ship. This time didn't seem like it was going to be any different. His blood test was within the normal limits; a little high on iron and zinc, a trace increase in the amount of copper, but nothing to be concerned about. His urine test was normal, the cardiac fitness test was amazing, and the skeletal scan showed nothing but old injuries. We were down to the rectal exam and, considering our history over the last years, this part usually lead to a little hanky-panky. I made sure the door lock couldn't be overridden and asked him to strip down. I couldn't understand his objections. After all, it'd only been a couple'a weeks since we'd been together. It wasn't a territory I was unfamiliar with. I guess it was then that I began to get this nagging feeling in my gut that there was something seriously wrong, something he was trying very hard to hide. Oh, damn, who the hell is this? Computer pause... --- Chapter 2 Computer resume. That was the transport tech here to pick up my gear. I guess they want us off the ship as quickly as possible tomorrow. Seems like my life has been just a series of endings, but I've gotta tell ya, this is the hardest one I've ever faced. How are you supposed to just walk away from something like this? Of course, let's face it, I took this job because it was a limited tour of duty. Swore I wasn't going to get involved with these people. I was gonna spend these five years patching them up and trying to decide what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Little did I know how they would worm their way into my very soul. Even Spock found a part of me I didn't know existed. I still can't believe that, without so much as a fare-thee-well, he took off for Vulcan. Well, that's not exactly true. I knew he was leaving. I even tried to talk him out of it, but I can't really blame him. That's one man I never thought I'd see lose it, but they say if you live long enough and you'll see everything. That brings me back to what I was telling you. Let's see, where was I. Oh yeah, in the exam room. Okay, I finally talked Jim outta his britches and got him to lean over. I slicked up my fingers. Sure, I usually use liquid-glove when I do these exams, but like I told you, this wasn't just your average crewmember. Anyway, soon as I inserted a finger I felt him tense up. When I moved in a little deeper and heard a hiss of pain escape from him, I knew something was terribly wrong. It wasn't like this was some virgin who'd never had this area invaded before. I pulled my finger out and grabbed the scanner. His rectum was bloodied and swollen and the tissue was torn both internally and externally. Most of the tears were small and could be easily enough treated, but there were a lot of them. He'd been fucked, and fucked hard by someone a lot larger than what he was used to. My first thought was that they were captured while down on the planet and someone had raped him. It was obvious that whoever did this didn't take time to prepare him. But there was none of the usual bruising around the hips, thighs or groin that you'd expect to find on someone who's been raped. I even ran a scan on his wrists and ankles to see if there had been any ligature marks that I hadn't noticed on the regular exam, but except for some slight bruising on the underside of each wrist, and the injuries I had noted earlier, nothing else showed up. I asked him who the hell had done this to him and he told me, through gritted teeth, to mind my own damned business and get it over with. The way he was gripping the side of the bed made me think of that night in my cabin, the first night we were together. It wasn't too many times that I'd seen Jim Kirk white-knuckled. Someone had hurt him, badly, and I had every intention of finding out who the hell it was! Jim, on the other hand, was equally determined to hide whatever it was that had happened. I pressed a syringe of anesthetic and skin repair inside of him and scanned to make sure I had covered all of the cuts. I put my hand on his back and laid the scanner aside. It had told me all it could; the rest would have to come from him. "Jim," I asked, "what happened? Were you captured? Did one of the Romulans do this to you? Jim, were you...raped?" He pushed off the bed with his arms and grabbed a towel and wrapped it around him. Now, I'd seen this man naked too many times to count. We didn't exactly have a relationship where we were modest around each other. He shook his head hard. "No," he told me, quite emphatically. So, it wasn't a Romulan who had done this to him, there hadn't been anyone else on the ship lately, and I knew he wasn't messing around with the crew – well, me being the one exception. That only left one person he'd spent time with lately. Now, let me tell you that I'd always wondered what kept the two of them from gettin' together. I mean, there's not two other people in the galaxy who blend together like they do. The way they fall in step with each other when they walk the corridors. The way they can finish each other's sentences. The small touches that are shared between them. I mean there are times that you'd swear they were a breath away from falling into each other's arms. But I know damned well it's never happened. I think most have just assumed that it's because neither one are interested in men. Little do they know what Jim and I do every so often. Or, that the seven-year thing we found out about Spock keeps him from desiring anyone, in that way, between the times he has to go to Vulcan. But could Spock be the one who'd been at him? He was the only person Jim had spent the last few days with. I just couldn't believe that Spock, one of the gentlest beings I've ever known--though irritating as hell--could be capable of the kind of damage I saw. Jim was looking at me like a deer caught in the headlights and I couldn't even put into words what I was thinking. Somehow my lips managed to form the word and I think I breathed, more than said, the name, "Spock?" He stumbled backwards a couple of steps. I swear if he'd been dressed he would have turned tail and run outta there. He stared at me, his arms stiff at his side, his hands clenched into tight fists. "Leave it alone, Bones," was all he told me. As if his legs wouldn't hold his weight any longer, he took the couple of steps back to the desk chair and sat, no - more like fell, down into it. I noticed him wince and he gripped the edge of the table as if to steady himself. Obviously the anesthetic hadn't taken full effect yet. Resting his elbows on his knees, he balled his fists and pressed his head against them. I wasn't lettin' go of this, no matter how tightlipped he wanted to be. I walked over to him and knelt down in front of him, maybe because I wasn't trusting my own balance at that moment. I just kept pushing him by asking, "Jim, answer me. Did Spock do this to you? Did you...consent...to this?" I knew it was Spock; sure as I knew my own name, but I had to know, I had to know if Spock had...had raped him. God, even now I can barely say it. He shook his head from side to side, indicating a "No," but his words didn't sound so convincing. "Just leave it alone. Nothing happened that I didn't ask for," he snapped. "Ask for!" I blurted out, not believing what I was hearing. "Jim, your ass is torn up! No one asks for this kind of abuse!" There was no way I was going to let him protect a rapist, no matter who it was. He dropped his fists, raised his head and looked me square in the eyes and said, "I did. I did everything but offer myself on a plate to him." I couldn't believe the coldness I saw in those eyes. What the hell had happened down there? I stood up and got his trousers and handed them to him. Let me tell you, Jim Kirk's not a man who's self-conscious about his body. Hell, I've seen him strip down to his skivvies and change in the turbolift when need be, and not think a damned thing about who was in there with him. But to see him turn away and slip his clothes on, almost shy, like he was trying to hide from sight, well, it just about broke my heart. I gave him the privacy he needed and told him I'd be waiting in my office. I knew it was a risk. I knew he could'a just as well marched outta there and not tell me what happened and there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it. But in a couple of minutes, he rounded the corner. When offered a seat he took the couch--the padded couch. I could understand why. I poured him some of the stuff Scotty had given me on my last birthday. It packed more of a punch than straight bourbon and that's what he needed just then. I took the desk chair and for the next two hours, maybe more, just listened to a story that if I hadn't seen the evidence for myself, I'd 'uv never believed it. Seems the first couple of days went better than they could have expected. They were able to infiltrate the camp by blending into a pretty good-sized task force that'd been scouting alternative sites for some of the equipment the Romulans were installing. They fell in with them and, when the time came, just marched right through the security shield like they were meant to be there. Between Spock's rudimentary understanding of the Romulan language and the universal translator Jim had concealed in his uniform, they managed to stay outta trouble, for the most part. Seems they did have one close call when a Romulan security officer cornered Jim someplace he wasn't suppose'ta be and the words he was using wasn't anything recognized by the translator. But Spock was able to calm the guard and reassure him that they had been ordered there, right before putting him out for a few hours with that Vulcan nerve-pinch thing. Jim said Spock really seemed to overreact to that situation. Hell, they'd been in tight spots before, but after Spock had the man unconscious, Jim had to stop him from breaking the Romulan's neck. Spock's not a man who kills anyone unless it's absolutely necessary; not that you wanna cross him, 'cause in the line of duty he'll do whatever's necessary. Anyway, after that, they stayed outta sight and were able to locate the main computer. Spock fed some kinda massive virus into it. That's one computer that'll never again do anything more than hum to itself, I'll tell you! By the time they'd accomplished all they were there to do, we were pretty busy up here dealing with a couple'a enemy ships of our own. Dropping the shields to beam them up was out of the question. They were stranded, right in the middle of about a thousand Romulans. Seems the security guard had regained consciousness and announced there were intruders, so the camp was being turned upside down looking for them. They knew their only chance was to make it outside and hide deep inside the caves near where they had landed the day before. What provisions they had brought with them had been left in packs in the mouth of one cave. They figured they could be in for a long haul and would need to get back to their supplies. Spock managed to disarm a section of the security shield and they fled the camp with the Romulans right on their heels. Must have been one hell of a battle, but somehow they managed to get away. By that time, we'd had to pull back outta transport range and even the communications link was gettin' shaky. Jim told Scotty that keepin' the ship in one piece was his sole duty and assured his chief engineer that he and Spock would be fine. They agreed to attempt contact very twenty-four hours and then Jim ended all transmissions so they couldn't be traced. Now this planet wasn't any vacation spot. It was hot and the terrain was made up mostly of steep, rocky, volcanic cliffs. By the time they made it back to their provisions, they were tired and dirty and, even though Jim wouldn't tell me so, I think he was dehydrated. He did say he took a couple of the water-tabs and drank enough to keep him thinking clearly; but Spock refused to drink any of the water rations. After catching their breath, they headed back into one of the tunnels to hide out. Spock was able to get a vague fix on the underground layout with the tricorder and they headed toward one of the caverns he had located. About two kilometers in, they hit an area where the sides were comprised of nothing more stable than small, loose stones and when they brushed against the wall, it all came tumbling down on top of them. Jim said Spock was a few steps ahead of him and caught the worst of it. The larger rocks were raining down as they dug themselves out, but they were able to get free before the route closed completely. That explained most of the injuries I had seen on their exams, at least as far as the bump on Spock's head and the contusions to Jim's shoulder went. Jim said Spock seemed dazed for a couple of minutes, but swore he was okay. After making sure they were still all in one piece, they looked around for Spock's pack and realized it, along with what was left of their water supply, was buried under the debris. Taking stock, they found they still had one pack with food, the tricorder, one communicator, the light sticks and Jim's phaser, which still held half a charge. With the heat really getting to him, not to mention the energy and sweat they had expelled digging themselves out, Jim knew if they didn't find a source of water soon, they weren't going to make it. Spock powered up the tricorder but it wasn't reading too well from deep inside the cave. He said he had located what may be another cavern off in a different direction, so they tried again. It took them almost three hours to navigate their way to the new site, all the while having to watch out for unstable tunnels. On top of that, Spock had become increasingly quiet and Jim was beginning to worry that he'd been hurt worse than he was letting on. That damned Vulcan's like that! He'd have to be near dead to admit anything was the matter. Anyway, they did find the small room. Jim immediately began to explore and when he found an offshoot with a small pool of water, he was ecstatic. He turned to tell Spock and saw him lying on the ground. When he got to him, Spock was shaking and his skin was cool and clammy to the touch. Now Jim said he didn't know if it was the head injury or if Spock had some internal damage or if he was just suffering from the effects of the planet. But he was in bad shape and with no medical scanner he just had to guess at what to do. He tried to spread the cape from Spock's uniform under him, and took his own and spread over him. When Spock stopped shaking, he took a container from the one pack they had left and went back to the pool. Locating the source of the water, he collected some but couldn't tell if it was going to be drinkable. He tried using the tricorder on it, but the minerals, high in iron and zinc, were so skewed by their surroundings that he couldn't tell if it was toxic or not. Said he decided there was only one way to find out, so he took a big swig. Evidently it was warm and tasted heavy with natural elements, but didn't seem to have any adverse affects. By raising Spock's head, Jim was able to get him to drink quite a bit. Of course that stubborn Vulcan hadn't taken any of the water tabs, or drunk any of their water supply, and even a Vulcan can only go so long without liquid. Well, Jim said after a few minutes he seemed to improve, at least the shaking stopped completely and he appeared more lucid. Okay, hold right there. That seems to be the end of that bottle. I know I've got another one stashed around here somewhere. Where is it? Ah...there you are. Shit, I packed my bottle opener in my bag! Scotty! Yeah, I know Scotty has one! Computer pause. --- Chapter 3 Computer resume recording. Scotty wanted me to stay and drink the night away with him. I guess he's having as hard a time with this as anybody, but I just couldn't hang out with him and hear him bemoan the fact that his precious "bairns" were about to have their guts ripped out. So I made my excuses. Sometimes it's just better to be alone. Oh, sorry. Alone with your computer, I mean. Okay, let's see…so they're in the cave and Spock is coming around. Jim said his color was looking better and he had flung off the cloak that he had put over him, but he still wasn't responding with anything much more than one-word answers. Jim said he seemed tired more than anything else. But Jim figured Spock was just exhausted. Apparently Jim had been able to catch a few winks while they were holed up in the Romulan camp, although Spock insisted on staying alert. After a while, Jim mixed up some of the noodles in one of the pouches and warmed it over a rock he'd heated with the phaser. He ate some of it, bad as it was, to try to keep his strength up. During one of the periods when Spock was awake, Jim tried to get him to eat, but Spock wouldn't, sayin' he wasn't hungry. It wasn't long before the Vulcan was asleep again. All this sleeping kinda worried Jim. Not wanting to fall asleep in case Spock took a turn for the worse, he propped himself against a rock and kept an eye on him. Jim said Spock would rouse for a few minutes, sit up and drink some of the water, but be out again in no time. Guess it was during one of these sleep periods that Jim began to notice Spock's package. Now sure, we all get erections when we're asleep, and Jim damned well knows it, but he said this was pretty hard to ignore. I can just imagine. I saw the way those damned Romulan pants fit. Hell, they couldn't have been any tighter if the damned things had been painted on. They sure don't leave any doubts about how well you're hung, if you get my drift. And, being Spock's physician, I know for a fact he wasn't exactly hiding behind the door when they were handing out equipment. Well, I guess the view was a nice one and Jim began to let his imagination run away with him. He started thinking of all sorts of things he'd never allowed himself to seriously consider before. Well, at least not with Spock in the same room. He admitted to me--right there, unashamed--that he had developed deep feelings for the Vulcan from the beginning and had thought about approaching him from time to time. He told me that Spock had never seemed interested in a sexual relationship so he never took things to the next step. Guess that's when I realized just who it was that Jim had spoken of in my cabin all those years ago. Not that it came as any big surprise, I'd always suspected as much. Anyway, sittin' there watching the object of his secret affection gettin' aroused, he must'a got himself pretty worked up. But, hell, a little sexual fantasy never hurt anybody, right? I mean, they had a lot of empty time to kill down there. And it's not like he did anything about it. He just shook off the urge. But when he looked back up towards Spock's face, his eyes were open...looking right at him! Jim was pretty embarrassed to be caught staring at Spock's goods like that. Anyway, he hopped up and started busying himself with the supplies. By this time Spock was sitting up and looking like he was going to be okay. He asked Spock if he felt like trying any of the food packs, but he still refused. Jim said he couldn't much blame him; starving was almost a better option. Figuring that Spock didn't need anyone hovering over him, Jim decided to try out the pool of water to get some of the grime off. Hell, he probably needed to get away from Spock for a while, y'know, at least until he could cool off a bit. Anyway, he walked to the edge of the pool and began to strip off his clothes. Said he'd thrown his tunic on the ground and was just about to shed his trousers when a thought occurred to him. If Spock was aroused while he was wide-awake, just maybe their minds were running in the same direction. Now I gotta tell ya, there's very few men I've ever run across that can turn me on just by stripping off their clothes, but watching Jim Kirk get undressed is just about as pleasing a sight as I've ever seen. Hell, he's almost made me cum just by getting outta his uniform. He didn't say so, but I've gotta feeling he put everything he had into getting out of his pants. That man could make a Goddamned bulkhead horny! When he finally got in the water, he realized the bottom wasn't all that deep, but it was deep enough to float and bathe in. At some point, he dared to look back at Spock and sure enough, he was sitting up taking in the whole damned show! Jim said that he knew right then, that if he had anything to say about it, before the evening was over he was going to curl up next to one hot Vulcan. Feeling as clean as possible under the circumstances, he got out of the pool, shook the water off best he could and gathered up his clothes. He saw no need in getting redressed right then, not till he'd dried out anyway. Like I was telling you, I can believe this. Jim has never been what you'd call modest. So, he walked back to where Spock was propped up, spread out the clothes and sat down on them. Now, I've seen Jim in action more times than I'd care to count and his powers of seduction are formidable. Once he has his mind set on ya, there's just something he can do that can turn even the most tenacious to oatmeal. So I can just imagine what he was doing; the way he can look at ya through those damned eyelashes, and those hips ought to be declared an illegal weapon! Anyway, back to the story. He said he told Spock the water felt good if he wanted to rinse off. Spock nodded and rose to go toward the pool. Jim noticed that when Spock got up, he seemed every bit as aroused as he had earlier. He watched the Vulcan the whole while as he unceremoniously shed his uniform and stepped into the water. The thought occurred to him to join him in there, but decided to just wait and see what happened when Spock returned. Said he laid back, closed his eyes, and started considering some of the possibilities. Knowing this man as well as I do, I'm pretty sure he was stroking himself, but I didn't ask. He said he was wondering why he hadn't considered approaching Spock about a relationship before this. But, then again, Spock had never given any indication that he was interested in anything more than friendship. Hell, in reality he still hadn't! Being aroused is one thing, taking it to a physical stage is something else entirely. Jim hadn't heard Spock leave the water, but when he opened his eyes, there the Vulcan was, standing at his feet and watching his every move. Jim said Spock's condition hadn't changed, and even more than that, there seemed to be a fire in those eyes that left no doubt about what was going to transpire between them. Jim said he moved in a way to give Spock an open invitation to lay down with him. Spock knelt down between his legs and Jim reached to pull him to him, but evidently the Vulcan had other ideas. Without so much as a 'hello, don't mind if I do,' Spock grasped his calves, hoisted them to his shoulders, and centered his cock to Jim's rectum. Jim said he tried to protest, but before he could even get the word, "Wait" out, he was impaled. God, the pain he musta felt at that moment is unimaginable. He said it seared him to his very core, even to the point that he found it hard to breathe. Spock released his legs and covered him. Jim said he tried to scream out, but Spock clamped his mouth down on top of his in a brutal kiss. He tried to push Spock off, hit him so hard in the sides that he thought for sure he had broken the Vulcan's ribs, but even that was no deterrent. Before he could land another blow, he found his wrists being held above his head by one of Spock's hands. Guess all he could do was lay there and take it. He did say that after a couple of minutes he, mercifully, felt a slickness forming. He didn't want to think about it being his own blood that was greasing the path, but he knew that it was. When he told me that, I watched the shudder that ran through him. It was all I could do to sit in that chair and listen to what happened. I wanted to get up and run away. I didn't know how much more I could stand to hear. But the story was pouring out in a rush, and I knew he had to get it outta his system. God knows there wasn't anyone else on the ship he could tell this to! So, I told him it was "okay," and he continued. Spock still had his mouth covered so the only air Jim could get into his lungs was what he could suck in through his nostrils. He's pretty sure he passed out 'cause the next thing he knew, Spock wasn't restraining his hands any longer and he had his fingers on Jim's meld points. Jim didn't remember Spock entering his mind, but he knew this wasn't like any of the melds he'd had with him before. This time he was paralyzed. Said he couldn't have moved even if he had wanted to. Jim said it was like Spock had taken over his body and all its functions; breathing, moving, even his heart beating was under Spock's control. The only thing that still felt like his own was his mind, but even his thoughts seemed to echo within Spock. Even then, through the meld, he tried to tell Spock to stop, but he was met with only a wall of his own pain and Spock's need and lust that had to be quenched. There was no reaching him on any level. And, as much as his own thoughts were flowing to Spock, he realized that if he concentrated, he could hear Spock in his own mind. It was more than that; as best as he could explain it, it was as if Spock existed through him. He found himself falling into this consciousness that was inside of him. He could feel every sensation that Spock was feeling. He was surprised to find that Spock was hurtin' too. That his groin felt like it was on fire. But this was only one of a thousand sensations flowing through the Vulcan. He said he kept getting this Vulcan word, I can't for the life of me remember how to pronounce it, but he knew it meant a "blood bond" that must be created between them. He also knew that some part of Spock was elated to have his organ embedded inside of the very person he had desired and been unable to approach since their first days together. He felt the ecstasy that comes with sexual gratification when you are finally with the one person you've wanted with all of your being. He also knew, without a doubt, that this was Spock's first time. Somewhere during this discovery, Jim was able to forget about his own pain and begin to respond. Everything seemed like it was gonna be okay. Yeah, he was gonna be sore as the dickens, but by focusing on Spock, the result was going to be enjoyable. Well, sir, that's about as long as any thoughts of pleasure lasted. Next thing he knew, it felt like a Goddamned volcano had erupted inside of him. I guess when that hot semen hit those open lacerations, it must have just about killed him! Jim said once he was freed, he rolled over on his side, pulled his knees up, and tried to mentally control the blistering pain that radiated from inside of him. He has no idea how long he lay there, may have been just'a couple a' minutes, but he doesn't know for sure. Time didn't have any meaning right then. Spock picked Jim up and carried him to the pool. Evidently with great care, he lowered Jim into the water and washed him. When the water hit his back, he knew that his back was scraped all to hell from the rocky ground where he had been taken. It burned, but nothing like the fingers that proceeded to bathe him…elsewhere. But, he had to admit, once the initial pain from the water had subsided, it did feel somewhat soothing. Of course I could've told him why it helped. It was the high zinc level. It was the same reason Jim's blood showed elevated levels after drinking the water, the same substance that was used in soothing ointments for centuries. But, I figured he didn't need a medical lesson right then, so I stayed quiet and let him talk. Spock lifted him out of the water and put him down. It was all he could do to support himself on his own feet. He made it back to where the clothes were and, as much as he was able, he spread them out and lay down. He said he fell asleep almost immediately. I guess his mind was just trying to clamp down on what had happened. The brain's a funny thing, like that. Has a way of shuttin' off when there are things goin' on that you don't wanna deal with. When he woke up, he felt a body against him. He said he tried to roll away, but found himself held tight by the Vulcan's arms. He could feel Spock against him and thought he was about to be invaded again. He said he tried to scream, but his throat was dry, so the best he could do was to grate out somethin' like, "Goddammit, Spock! Don't touch me! I'm ripped to pieces!" Evidently that did the trick because Spock released him and Jim rolled away from him, getting as far away as the small cave allowed. He was afraid that Spock was going to chase him down, but he made no move toward him. Jim said Spock sat up on the mat, crossed his legs, and lowered his head. When he began to speak, Jim had to strain to hear what he was saying. Spock told him he was sorry. That he thought Jim understood that it had to be this way. Jim asked him what way, what the hell he was talking about. Spock told him that since Jim had participated in many such encounters, that had he prepared him, there would have been no blood exchange, no bonding, between them. Jim said he asked what Spock he meant by "many such encounters," and what the hell he meant by a "bonding?" Well sir, by Jim offering himself up the way he did, he gave Spock the idea that he was ready to be his bondmate, something Spock had secretly desired all along. Spock told him that sexual activity was not something Vulcans engage in until they are ready to be bonded for the first time. Seems that to be bonded, not only must there be a meld, but there must be an exchange of blood; a blood oath, to each other. Well, little did we know that when we've had to meld with Spock over these years, he was picking up on what was goin' on between Jim and me. Spock had known all along about mine and Jim's little arrangement, and knew it wouldn't achieve the desired results if he had taken it easy on him, like it would have if he was bonding himself to a male who'd never had anal intercourse before. I guess it's just not the same unless you can split your partner wide open! On top of that, Spock told Jim that now that they were bonded, his association with me would have to stop. Beyond the shock at hearing all this, it pissed me off that Spock was telling Jim who he could and couldn't be with. I'd never fooled myself into thinking Jim was going to be with me forever, but I sure as hell didn't think it was that damned Vulcan's business what Jim and I choose to do! Anyway, I have no doubt that Jim could've handled the next hours better. Never have seen a man so determined not to be backed into a corner. He let Spock know in no uncertain terms that sex, normal sex, was one thing, but he wasn't ready to let himself get tied down to any one person. Spock pulled back into his most Vulcan self, and kept telling Jim that what was done, was done. Said he kept muttering some Vulcan term, "Kalith or Kaiidth," or something like that, which in Standard must mean, "Too fucking bad!" Well, the first twenty-four hour period came and went, but we were still out of range of even the communicators at that time, so they were stuck down there for another day. Spock barely moved from the makeshift mat, and Jim wasn't sure how to handle the whole mess. It sounds like Spock was suffering from some degree of pon farr and was going through a pretty tough time. Jim said he spent that first night just royally pissed. But, after so long of watching the man who had been his friend these many years, doing nothing more than holding his middle and rocking back in forth like he was going through agony, Jim knew that whatever else had happened, he had to help him. I'm sure Jim was afraid to approach him. Sure, under normal circumstances, Jim can hold his own against Spock on a wrestling mat, but you mix in those damned ancient Vulcan urges, and you get one powerful being! Jim said he knew he couldn't stand for Spock to fuck him again, but over the next hours they worked it out so he could help Spock relieve some of what he was going through. I didn't ask what, and he didn't expand, but it didn't take much imagination to figure out why Jim had higher-than-normal trace elements of copper on his exam, especially considerin' Spock's biological system is copper based. Late onto the second day of their seclusion, Spock seemed to pull out of it. Jim said he once again became very quiet, and meditated on and off. Jim said he just sat and watched him. He said he still hurt, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it had been, well, except for one time he had slipped into one of the distant tunnels to answer the call of nature, and it about tore him apart. Said he noticed he was bleeding again, and spent a couple of hours soaking in the pool of water. It was in these hours of watching Spock that Jim really began to think about what had transpired between them. Began to realize he had been putting off signals to let Spock know he'd be willing for a long time, maybe since the beginning. He knew from the meld that these feelings were nothing new on Spock's part. Jim said he thought about the small touches that had always seemed so natural between them, even though he knew Vulcans didn't like to be touched. He said he started to realize just how important Spock was to him, how much he really did care for him. But the burning inside, and the buzzing in his head, which he was now understanding was the bond that had formed, reminded him of the viciousness of the way he had been taken, claimed, by Spock. And the tenderness he would start to feel for Spock would quickly turned to anger. And so it went, Jim wrestling with his emotions until the time came to try to contact the ship. By that time, we were back in range. Scotty told Jim the planet had been evacuated and the Romulans were headed toward home. Jim gave Scotty the coordinates for the cave entrance and told him they would be there in two hours. They dressed, gathered their supplies, and made their way out toward the entrance in silence. During this time, Jim had made a decision. When they reached the mouth of the cave, he told Spock that no one would ever know what had happened between them. He told Spock that whatever it took they were going to break this bond and, until that could be accomplished, Spock was to say nothing. Of course, he hadn't taken into consideration that I would order complete physicals for the both of them. He said Spock nodded his consent. Jim contacted the ship and they were beamed aboard with no one being the wiser about what had transpired down there. Now personally, I could see this from both sides. Yeah, Spock should'a told Jim what he was in for. But there's no doubt that Jim used all of that damned sexual energy he carries around to encourage Spock. And our Vulcan friend just assumed that Jim knew what he was committing to. No, Spock hadn't raped him, not in the strictest sense of the term. Hell, I guess if the truth be known, he'd married him! But I also knew that Jim had gotten himself into something way over his head. And he was scared, scared as I've ever seen him. Scared that someone he trusted was capable of that kinda violence, scared about what being bonded to Spock meant. And, I think, he was scared that maybe, just maybe, he was feeling things that he'd never prepared himself to feel toward another person. I need ice. Dammit! They've powered down the replicators! There's gotta be ice around here somewhere. Computer pause. --- Chapter 4 Computer resume. Okay, I'm set for the night. I have enough ice to sink the Goddamned Titanic. Well, I might as well tell ya the rest of it. It's been two months of hell around here! After Jim finished, he just sat there, looking like a man who's had his last emotion drained from him. Hell, I didn't know what to say to him. First time I can remember when I was at a loss for words. I told him the first order of business was rest. That I was going to put the both on them on the inactive list for twenty-four hours and I didn't want any argument. And I told him to stay away from Spock until this mess was straightened out. I didn't know how this bond was going to affect Spock, and until I had some answers, I didn't want him to take any chances on reopening those wounds. Well, I should'a known that Jim Kirk would do as he damned well pleased! I found out later that he stayed in his cabin exactly two hours before he was beatin' down Spock's door. While I'm up to my ears in the computer bank trying to sort out what this bond meant, and if there was anyway to break it, he's in Spock's cabin demanding answers. There was one other thing he'd decided he needed to tell Spock, too. That he wanted him to share his life, and his bed. To Jim's surprise, Spock didn't welcome this change of heart. He would only refer to him as "Captain," and stated that Jim had been right. That his actions were deplorable. He stated he wished to present himself on charges of sodomizing a superior officer. Jim told Spock he would have a hard time proving anything because he was the superior officer in question, and would testify that it was a mutual act. Now, how'd I find out about this? Well, I had come across some reference to the capabilities of these people called Kolinahrus. Seems they have all sorts of talents, including the dissolution of Vulcan marriages. I had to assume that meant the bond that existed between partners, as well. But the information was vague and since I already knew all about what'd happened, I thought it was high time that I go see Spock. When Jim turned around and saw me standing there, he looked just about like the kid whose hand has been caught in the cookie jar. He asked me what the hell I was doing there. I could'a asked him the same question. "I need to talk to Spock, alone," I told him. "I think I ordered you to your cabin for rest." Yeah, it pissed me off that he did exactly what I told him not to do. I continued, "Now, Captain, sir, if you'll excuse us, I wanna talk to Spock." He tried to protest. "Bones," he said in that way he does when he's trying to get around me. But I was having no part of it. He'd sunk me right in the middle of this and, dammit, I was going to handle it the way I saw fit. Besides, they both needed some time apart, time to sort out exactly what had happened between them. Jim may have been thrown into this, but Spock had some say-so about this too, and it was up to me to see he got it. There was more than one man hurting here; the look in the Vulcan's eyes proved that. Jim, seeing I meant business, walked toward the door, but before he left, he turned and said to Spock, "Don't make any decisions before we talk. Promise me that, will you?" I looked toward Spock to see him nod and respond with, "I shall grant you that request, Captain." Damn, he was so formal! He only gets like that when he's holding on by a thread. I'd been around him enough to know that. Jim left and the door slid closed, leaving us alone. I didn't even know where to start. Luckily, Spock got the conversation started with, "Doctor, I believe we completed all that was necessary, earlier. I wish to be left alone." Well, although he was tryin' to get me to leave, it gave me the opening I needed. I decided it was time to dive right in before he could throw me out. I held my ground, and said, "Spock, I know what went on down there. Now don't blame Jim. He couldn't disguise the injuries he's suffered. The rest, well, he told me because I was assuming the worst. Spock, we've gotta talk about this." Talking about what had gone on was not something Spock was willing to do. But who could blame him? I told him that I was there not only as a doctor, but as a friend. I can't remember the exact words I used, but I told him that I'd overheard most of what Jim had said, and that it sounded to me like Jim may be warming up to the idea of a relationship between them. I was hoping that he would relax a little, but he didn't move a muscle. Stood there rigid as a statue. I didn't understand why he wasn't glad that Jim wanted him, but it sure didn't seem to bring him any comfort. But, he hadn't tossed me into the corridor, yet, so I just kept pushing on. I asked him about this thing called a "blood oath," and why had he felt the need to injure Jim in such a way. That got his attention, let me tell you. The look in his eyes scared the shit outta me! He told me I was speaking about something that was never revealed except between bonded couples, and I should not mention it again. Now, it really pissed me off to have him stand there and talk about all this Vulcan hocus-pocus, like I had no business approaching the subject. Told him so, too! I told him that I was involved. I'd been the one who'd had to treat Jim after he'd been at him. That seemed to take him down a mite. And while I was on a roll, I added that if he'd ever opened up the tiniest bit about all this stuff associated with his heritage, not to mention his biology, that some of this could've been avoided. I told him that as CMO, it was my responsibility to see that this crew ran at top efficiency and that I had serious doubts about not only the captain, but also the second in command! I told him that like it or not, I was involved, right up to my neck! He nodded, slightly. "I agree, Doctor," he finally replied. "Your argument is a logical, albeit emotional, one. I will cooperate," he stated, and I could see his shoulders relax under the uniform. I followed him as he turned and walked toward the long bench that occupied the center of the room. He sat down, perched stiffly on the edge, and I turned the desk chair around so I could face him. "Spock," I started, "what happened down there? Why now?" He said that not long after landing on the planet, he began to feel something very much like the effects of pon farr. At first, he thought it was brought on by the heat of the planet, very nearly that of Vulcan. But he soon realized the reason he was affected was because the mission, and his time with Jim, was coming to an end. He said that when the Romulan guard discovered them, what the guard was saying to Jim enflamed his ancient Vulcan urges. Seems that by Jim having the fair features and muted characteristics, the smaller than usual ears and no upsweep to his eyebrows, this made him quite attractive to the Romulan. These features are considered effeminate among Romulans, something the guard wished to capitalize on, and the suggestions he was making were quite inappropriate. He knew if Jim had not stopped him, he would have surely killed the guard and that it would not have been from duty but from a shameful display of jealousy. He told me that in the next hours he felt the fires raging within him and fought to keep them at bay. During the time of their escape, and the battle that ensued, he thought he had managed to control the urges. By the time they arrived back at the cave that held their supplies, he was sure he was once again under control. As part of the cleansing process after such an emotional outburst, he had refused all drink or food. It seems that a fast is part of the recuperative process that Vulcans must endure when the mind is centered on repressing emotions. However, the accident in the cave, and the injuries suffered because of it, left him with little protection against the fever that was still burning within him. When Jim lifted his head and gave him water, he could feel the emotions directed toward him through the touch. What he could feel from Jim was beyond the normal caring and concern for an injured crewmember. It was those same feelings he had felt from him before, the same feelings he, himself, had fought against since Jim had first reported to the ship. When Jim made it obvious that he was welcome to make love to him, Spock believed Jim had decided that he wanted to become his bondmate. "But, Spock," I asked him, "didn't you realize that to take him in such a vicious manner would injure him, alienate him?" I'll never forget the way he looked at me when he replied, "I was not his first. And since your intercourse with him is frequent, there was no other alternative. I had to take him in a way that would seal our bond." God, his expression had turned to steel. There was somethin' about the way those dark eyes had turned cold as ice that made me think he was blaming all this on me! Like he'd been so brutal 'cause he was tryin' to burn the memory of me outta Jim's mind! Well, this wasn't the time to get into an argument with Spock over Jim, even if Jim had been my primary lover for the last four years. Somethin' that I felt wasn't any of his business. So I decided to ignore the reference to my relationship to Jim. After all, this was not the issue at the time. And I still wasn't clear on the reason for the brutality or what this blood-thing was all about "I don't understand this blood bond. Can you explain that to me?” I asked him. “It sounds to me like Jim was the only one injured to the point of bleeding." He became very uncomfortable, I guess you'd say almost fidgety, but since he'd said he would cooperate, he finally told me everything. Now, I always thought that spare eyelid thing was a curious oddity. Well, it's nothin' compared to what I found out next! He explained that when a Vulcan male is bonded for the first time that there is an actual mixing of the blood that must take place. Seems the Vulcan male genitalia is quite different from a human male in that there's a membrane that ruptures, causing the male to bleed when he has intercourse for the first time. The first time I had examined him, I had asked him about the thin band of clear tissue that seemed to surround his shaft, and his answer had been that he was perfectly normal for a Vulcan male of his age. I'd just had to take his word for it since the Vulcans hadn't seen fit to fill us in on anything but the basic Vulcan anatomy. It hit me that this was the membrane he was speaking of. I'd never questioned him about it again, but this explained why Jim had felt Spock's pain through the bond. "So, Jim was right," I whispered. "This was your first...encounter." His eyes softened, and he looked down as he replied, "Indeed. He is my first bond, therefore, he is my first sexual contact." After a few moments of silence, Spock explained that since Jim and I had seen him through one near-bonding, he just assumed Jim knew all about this. "Spock, he didn't know. Neither of us did. Hell, I was there at the bonding ceremony too, but I didn't understand half of what was going on," I told him. God, as vulnerable as Jim had been, it was even worse with Spock. He looked at me. Any coldness that had been in that face was gone, and all the pain I'd ever witnessed before was radiating from those dark eyes. He nodded. "I am aware of this, now. That which I have done is unforgivable." I tried to soothe him by telling him that "unforgivable," was a little on the strong side. I told him that it may take time, but that there just might be a happy ending to this situation. I advised him to go to Jim and see what they could work out together. But he was damned insistent that the relationship would never succeed. He said that neither he, nor Jim, nor the Vulcans would ever be able to accept the bond, considering the way in which it was formed. That's when he told me about Re'letli. Seems it's just about the worst thing you can do as a Vulcan. It literally is the forceful taking of a bondmate. It means to bond with someone who is unwilling or has not consented to join their mind to yours. It was the last act that carried the death sentence on Vulcan, before they did away with executions altogether. Seems that taking someone's body by force is sometimes necessary to achieve what must happen between bonded couples, but the taking of one's mind by force is never allowed. By doing just this, Spock had committed the greatest offense that is possible among the Vulcan people. I tried to tell him he was being too hard on himself. That this was just a case of some seriously crossed signals. What he had done, he thought he was being invited to do. Jim just didn't know what he was lettin' himself in for. But there was no reasoning with him on this point. Since the bond seemed to be the one thing causing all the problems, I told him that I'd found information about someone called a Kolinahru, and the capabilities of this person to break a bond. I asked him if that would be a possibility. Damn near shocked him outta his boots with that one. He was mighty surprised that I would know anything about one of these Kolinahru. Said it was a Vulcan ritual only done in complete secrecy and that there were few who even knew of the existence of such people. But, he said that it was a possibility. Said it could be done in conjunction with some kinda purging of all emotions. Hell, I thought all the rules associated with the Neo-Protestant religion that my grandmother tried to get me involved with as a child was hard to understand. Ain't nothin' compared with all the stuff these Vulcans have come up with! Anyway, he said something about going to Vulcan being the only option still open for him. The man was hurting, and there wasn't a damned thing I could do to stop this kind of pain. I told him that he owed it to Jim to talk to him, but not yet. Right now they were both running on empty and needed time to rest. There wasn't much else that could be done about this right then, so I stood up to leave. This whole thing was a mess and wasn't going to be solved in one afternoon. With all that had happened, there was only one thing about this that was obvious. I turned to him and asked, "You really do love him, don't you?" "Yes," he replied. I nodded and walked to the door. He stopped me when he said, "Doctor, you do understand that your relationship with him will have to stop. That what you have been to him in the past, can no longer be." It wasn't a question. There it was. Now he was trying to tell me who I could and couldn't be with, and I wasn't going to take that from nobody. "I think there are some things that you need to leave up to Jim and me," I answered, not exactly politely. I didn't wait for him to respond, I just left. I knew we had several weeks before we were due back at Earth Central. I figured that the best thing to do was just to leave well enough alone for the time being. Spock seemed subdued as hell and I didn't see any reason to be concerned about anything happening between them that they didn't both consent to. After all, we have the best security team in the galaxy right here on the ship and they can be anywhere at a moment's notice. Besides, I thought giving them some time, they just may find out that this thing wasn't so bad and really begin to accept it. I didn't know of two other men in this universe who needed someone permanent in their lives like those two did. And, as much as I would have loved to be to Jim what he needed, I knew I wasn't ever going to be that person. I just thought that Spock might be the one. You know, if there's one thing I can admit about myself, when I'm wrong, I'm damned wrong! Is it just me or am I beginning to smell like the inside of a bourbon bottle? Think I'll run through the shower. Computer pause. --- Chapter 5 Computer resume. There, that's better. Nice to get outta that damned uniform and into my robe, too. Got the torture machine hanging in the fresher for tomorrow. That's what I call these dress uniforms. They want us to be all spiffed up for the docking ceremony in the morning. Well, with any luck, I'll still be too drunk to notice the damned thing's choking me! Let me pour myself just one more littl' one, oh...what the hell, might as well make it a big one, and I'll get on with this. Can I offer you one? Guess not, huh. Okay, so I had decided to just leave them to their own devices and see where it took them. Didn't take them far. For the next few weeks, Spock reported for his duty shifts, but no one saw him other than that. Didn't have two words to say to anyone that wasn't in the line of duty. Everyone noticed that something was wrong. Of course no one, 'cept me, had any idea what was going on. As for Jim, he walked around like a man sitting atop a razor blade. He was snapping at people right and left. Yeah, I know it was his responsibility to make sure the ship was in top condition when it came time for inspection, but that didn't account for his piss-poor attitude over every little thing. Poor Scotty. He got jumped so often, I thought he was going to crawl right outta his skin before we could get back to spacedock. I couldn't talk to Jim. Tried on more than a few occasions and he'd just shut down completely. Well, that's how things were, that is until night before last. Now I know time-warp is possible, and if I had anything to say about it, we'd put this damned ship in overdrive and flash back two days, leaving everything that happened that night behind. Course, I guess if any of us had a choice, we'd all just as soon forget that night. Damn! I still can't believe it! Yeah, I know I'm still recording. I'm just trying to figure out how to say this. Hell, I was there and it still all seems like a blur. Okay, two nights ago, well after midnight, I was alone in my cabin and feeling pretty lonely. All right, I guess if I'm gonna be completely honest with you, I was horny; horny as hell and needing Jim. We hadn't been together in almost three months and my body was aching for him. I paged him in his cabin and asked him what he was doing, and if he felt like having company. I could tell he knew exactly what kinda company I was talking about and, after a pause, he told me that he was in bed and, yeah, he could use some company, to come on up. I grabbed a tube of lubricant out of the cabinet and headed up to his deck. I knew I wasn't going to stay the night, I never did, and since I wasn't on duty, I sure didn't see the need to carry my medical kit. Geoff M'Benga was on duty and he was certainly capable of handling anything that came up. It wasn't five minutes later that I was signaling my presence at Jim's door. The door slid open and I stepped inside the nearly dark cabin. The light was set so low that it took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust. Then I heard him call my name from the bed. I saw him through the mesh partition; he was propped up on one elbow, a sheet just barely covering his groin, waiting for me. Damn, just the sight of him about did me in! I walked to the side of the bed and he came to his knees, the sheet falling away and exposing that beautiful, aroused body. He reached for me and slipped his hands under my shirt. God, how I'd missed feeling those fingers slide across my skin! Makes me shiver even now to think of it. He pulled my shirt off, and I quickly got rid of the rest of my clothing, tossing the tube I had brought with me on the pillow. He stroked the length of my cock, and I did the same to him. He was so ready. His hard cock reacted with each touch. I grazed my thumb across his cap and was rewarded with slick beads of anticipation. God, how I craved the taste of him! I knelt down and captured the tip of his cock with my lips, letting those sweet drops fall on my tongue. It was then that it hit me how much I depended on our times together. Being with him wasn't just a romp to relieve the stresses that come with serving on a ship. This was makin' love to someone I really cared about. When I realized that, it started an aching in my chest that hasn't stopped yet. Before I could take him over the edge, he pulled me to my feet and brought his mouth to mine. Between long, probing, mouth-exploring kisses, I told him how much I'd missed him. He laid me down on the bed and covered me, pressing our erections together. Somehow, I managed to find the tube, even with my hands shaking, opened the cap and spread some on my fingers. He spread his thighs so he was straddling my hips. I reached around him, found his entrance, and spread the gel around the tight orifice. With this, I could feel him tense and move away from my fingers. "You're not still sore, are you?" I asked him. It'd been over two months and if he was still having problems, then there was something seriously wrong. "No," he whispered as he drew small circles with his fingertips around my nipples, making me shudder. "It's just that the last time I was..." I understood. The memory of the last invasion was still with him. "We don't have to do this," I told him. "Or, if you'd rather, you can fuck me." "No, I remember how good it felt to have you in me. I'll be all right. Just...go easy, okay?" God, I wanted him so badly, wanted this to be good for him. "Yes," I assured him. "Yes, very easy, but not this way. I can control my entry better if you roll over." He knew exactly what I meant and rolled off of me to lay on his stomach. He spread his thighs, pulling one leg up to give me full access to him. I ran my fingers within the crevice, slowly, to get him used to the feeling of being touched here again. With every stroke, I gently traced his opening and then dipped my finger into it. At first, he lay very still, but when I had worked one finger in as far as my knuckle, he began to push back against me. Pushing in deeper, I found that spot that made him open up to me. I felt the ring of muscle begin to relax and I told him when I was about to push the second finger inside. My second finger had just penetrated him when his hips pushed hard against my hand. He was getting very ready for more. I followed it with a third finger, and the muscle gave way. It was then that he began to moan and told me he was ready for me. Makin' sure I had him as relaxed as possible, I withdrew my fingers and centered my cock to him. Very slowly, I pressed inside. I thought to myself that this must be how it was with someone who had never been invaded before. I was so very careful to pay attention to his every move, watchin' out for any sign of discomfort--physical or otherwise. It wasn't long before I was fully encased inside of him. Oh, God, it felt so good to be inside of him again! I began to move, slowly at first, until I knew he was used to the full length of me. I reached around his bent leg and wrapped my hand around his erection. He had softened, slightly, and that was understandable, but he was soon fully erect with me pumping inside of him, and stroking him with each thrust. Just about the time things really got heated up, that's when all hell broke loose. I was just feelin' like I couldn't hold out any longer, and wonderin' if I should cum inside of him or pull out first, when I felt an arm encircle my neck, and another grab me around the waist. Now, I swear, it took a few seconds for me to figure out what was happenin'. By that time, I'd been ripped out of him and flung against the side of the divider, busting the thing in the process. Next thing I knew, Spock was on top of me, fire like I've never seen in his eyes, and his hands were around my throat. God, look at my hands! It still makes me shake to think of it! You know how some people talk about an 'out of body,' experience? Well, I guess now I know what they're talkin' about. I remember this like I was just floating above watching what was goin' on. Still doesn't seem real. Jim came up off the bunk and tried to pull him off of me, but with just one hand, Spock flung him aside like he was some rag doll. I knew that I'd breathed my last. Spock was gonna kill me right then and there. Then Jim stood back up and began ordering Spock to let me go. Just like he was up there on the bridge, that same "no nonsense" voice he uses. Well, it must have registered on some level with that Vulcan, 'cause he let me go, but he turned on Jim so quick that neither one of us saw it coming. He grabbed Jim and threw him on the bed and covered him with his own body. Jim was fighting like a son-of-a-bitch, but it was no use. I was still trying to get to my feet when I saw what was he was doin'. Spock had Jim on the bed, one of his arms was tucked up under him and he couldn't get it free. The other, Spock was holding tight. With his free hand, Spock was working to get the clasp of his pants undone. I knew I had to do something, and fast, or he was gonna rape Jim right there in front of me. I tried to grab him by the shoulders, but he stopped what he was doing and belted me so hard that I went flying onto the floor, again. I felt like I was going to pass out, but I think the situation at hand kept me from it. Somehow I was able to drag myself over to the desk and pull myself up. The first thing I thought of was a sedative. I called the lights to full power and began to look around for my kit. Then I realized I hadn't brought it with me. I looked back toward the bed and saw Spock had pushed his trousers below his hips and had pulled one of Jim's legs up. He was centering himself for the invasion. And, as Jim had described the events in the cave, Spock's mouth covered his, allowing only deep, guttural sounds of desperation to escape. I reached for the console and keyed the emergency code for sickbay. M'Benga answered and I told him to bring a sedative syringe to the captain's quarters, STAT. I ran back around the partition, well, what was left of it, and started screaming at Spock to stop, but it didn't even slow him up. I was grabbing and screaming at him when I saw him plunge into Jim. I couldn't.... Computer stop! --- Chapter 6 Computer resume. Okay, I'm better now. Every time I remember that moment it affects me like that. I guess someday I'll stop gettin' sick to my stomach when I remember that scene. Anyway, after what was probably a couple of minutes, but it seemed like hours, I saw the light from the corridor and M'Benga come charging through the door. Now I've never seen anything rattle Geoff before, but that sight brought him to a complete halt. I grabbed the syringe outta his hand and landed a clean blow on Spock's shoulder, plunging the whole dose into him. Now there's enough of that stuff in a full syringe to knock out a horse, but for a second, I didn't think even that was going to stop him. Then I saw Spock slump a little and Geoff, who'd recovered from the shock of seeing such a sight, at least enough to move, rounded the barrier and together we pulled him off Jim. It wasn't until then we realized that two security officers had entered the cabin, phasers drawn, and was seeing what was going on. Dammit! I hadn't even thought about the fact that security team members go to every emergency call unless directed not to. I hadn't put through the all-clear to stop them. There Jim and I are, buck naked as the day we were born. I'm looking like I've just gone ten rounds with the mutha of all Klingons. Geoff M'Benga, the only one of us fully dressed mind you, is hanging on to Spock, who's passed out cold, and still has his pants half down, and his privates bared for God n' everybody to see! If I hadn't been there, if I hadn't been a key player in this Goddamned mess, I could've almost laughed out loud, almost. Well, I knew Spock was going to be taken to the brig, there was no getting around him being arrested, or so I thought. I turned to Jim, who by this time had rolled off the bed and was throwing on his robe and tossing me my trousers. I don't know if he knew security was there, hell I don't know if anything was registering with him just then. Just as calm as you please, just like all the med chips say can happen in times of acute stress, I turn to Jim and say, "Jim, security's here. Do you want Spock arreste..." "No," his eyes came up and flashed at me. He looked toward the shocked security officers and said, "Nothing has happened here that requires charges. You're dismissed." "Sir?" one of the officers asked, obviously confused, but he didn't have a damned thing on me! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Jim!" I insisted. "Nothing, Bones!" he said, then told the officer, "I said, you're dismissed." "Ye...yes, sir!" they said as they turned and left, but not before they had taken one more look at the scene in the room from the door. He turned and looked at Spock while Geoff was getting his trousers resituated and fastened, and then back at me. "You called security?" he asked, angrily. I was busy getting my own clothes back on, but couldn't believe he was angry with me. "I called for help. I didn't think about security responding, but forgive me if I wasn't exactly thinking clearly at the time! Jim, I don't know what the hell happened down there on that planet, but I have no doubts about what just went on in here. He about killed me, and he sure as hell ra..." "That's enough, Doctor!" Jim shouted, cutting me off in mid sentence. He then turned toward the bed. "That'll be all. Dr. M'Benga, Dr. McCoy, you can both leave. I will handle things from here." "Jim, we need to get Spock out of here, away from you. Let us take him to sickbay and restrain him if you won't let security arrest him." "No," Jim shook his head, looking at the lifeless form on the bed. "He didn't mean to do this. I'm sure of it. He did warn me." It was then that the words that Spock had said in his cabin came back to me. He had told me that the relationship I had with Jim couldn't continue. He had felt us through the bond, that much I was sure of, but that was still no guarantee that he was going to be any less violent when he pulled out from under the effects of the drug. "Jim..." I wanted to tell him I was stayin', but he stopped me. "Bones," he whispered. "It's okay. I'll call if I need you, but, please, leave us alone." Against every ounce of better judgment I have in my body, I nodded to Geoff. He laid Spock flat on the bed and looked briefly at the captain as he headed toward the door. "Doctor," Jim called to him. Geoff turned. "Thanks," Jim said. "Certainly, Captain. Please, call if you need assistance. I have experience with some of the Vulcan mind control techniques." "I will," Jim nodded, but I had a feeling he was lying. There wasn't any more I could do or say, so I followed Geoff from the cabin. M'Benga and I didn't talk till we got back to sickbay. I guess it wasn't until then that I got up the nerve to say anything to him. Finally, knowing he was the most knowledgeable onboard regarding Vulcans, he had done his post-graduate work at the Vulcan Science Academy, I asked him if he would come to my office. Once there, I asked him if he could explain what had happened to Spock. He said his experience was limited, but he was showing all signs of a Vulcan going through Kalif'tut. Now, I had heard all about the Koonut Kal'ifee when we were going through that mess with Spock's bonding ceremony to T'Pring, so the name seemed familiar. He said it is a challenge when a threat is made to a bondmate. He asked if there was a possibility that Mr. Spock and Captain Kirk were bonded. In the briefest way possible, I explained that they were. I told him that I certainly wasn't in Jim's room to cause him any harm, my state of undress when he arrived made it quite obvious just what I was there to do. He said it wasn't necessarily a threat of physical harm to the bondmate, but a threat to the bond itself that would cause such a reaction and that an act of infidelity was as much, or more, of a catalyst for such a reaction. Jim said he knew Spock didn't mean to do this. Maybe he was right. Maybe it was the bond that had caused this. Well, the bond, and me not being able to keep it in my pants! If I hadn't gone to Jim that night, none of this would have happened. Anyway, I asked Geoff whether Jim would be safe when Spock awoke. Basically, he didn't know. But, he had never heard of a situation where bondmate turned on bondmate. However, rape was rare among bondmates too. My eye was swelling shut, so he took me into the treatment room to attend to my injuries. But my mind was less on me, and more on what Geoff had said. So, I wasn't outta my mind. I wasn't the only one who saw this as a rape. Bond or no bond, what I had witnessed was Spock raping Jim. It was about that time, right at 6:00 am ships time, that Christine came tearing into sickbay wanting to know if I was all right, wanted to know if Captain Kirk was okay, and had Spock really been arrested. Right then I knew we were in some deep shit. As near as I can figure, it took about forty minutes for word to start spreadin' about the scene in Jim's cabin. As was procedure for any security call, there was a report filed and forwarded to the bridge about what had happened. Now this should'a been for Scotty's eyes only since he was on command duty, but God only knows how many people onboard have hacked into that system so they can see what's going on. And not having internal ships' messages coded meant it was there for anyone who'd ever taken a first year computer class to read. It took some doing, she really didn't want to tell me all she'd heard, but I finally got it out of her. The gist of it was, when Chris had shown up in the cafeteria to get some coffee, she was inundated by several crewmembers all wantin' to know if it was true. Was there really a fight in the captain's quarters? Did security really have to show up and break up the whole mess? Did Dr. McCoy really go berserk? Were Dr. McCoy and the captain really having an affair? Or was it the first officer and Dr. McCoy who are involved? Did Mr. Spock really have to be pulled off the captain and sedated? Who was cheating on whom? Said there were about a hundred variations of these questions before she could get down the turbo and into sickbay. I gotta tell ya, my first reaction was to find the nearest airlock and flush myself right out into space! But that wasn't gonna help Jim or Spock. Yeah, I'll admit it. Even after what had happened, I was mighty concerned about how this was going to affect that Vulcan. Hell, I knew Jim and I would get over it, someday. Bet they never heard of this on the pirate circuit at the outer rim, which is probably where we'd end up. But I was kinda worried that this kind of publicity would send Spock right over the edge, not that he wasn't there already. By this time, Geoff had finished up with me, well as much as he could do under a local, and I sure wasn't gonna consent to anything more extensive, not now. I sat there watching Christine. There were so many questions in her eyes. Questions that even I didn't know if I had all the answers to. She turned and started putting away the equipment Geoff had used, and I heard her ask, "Leonard, are you and Spock...are you involved?" I reached out and touched her sleeve and she turned to me. Now, there wasn't a soul on the ship who didn't know of Christine's desire for something more with Mr. Spock. Nor was there anyone who couldn't see it wasn't going to happen, except maybe Chris who kept eternal hope alive. Everyone else on the ship had rumor and speculation about this mess. That wasn't enough for her. "No, Chris. Spock isn't involved with me. It's just a situation where we find ourselves interested in the same person." "Captain Kirk," she said with certainty. I think I just nodded. "And you?" she asked. "If they are involved, Leonard, what were you doing there?" I glanced at Geoff who was still standing off to the side, propped against the shelf next to the bio-bed, his arms crossed and being as quiet as usual. I was pretty sure he had the same question floating around in his mind; he was just too much of a gentleman to ask. "Chris," I said looking at her, wantin' to make this as clear as possible without all of the ugly details. "Captain Kirk and I have been...involved...for some time. Recently, a situation occurred where Spock and the captain found themselves bonded to each other." I saw the hurt in her face. But then I saw something else too. Maybe it was the facade of hope that she'd held onto slipping away. I continued, trying to explain the events of this evening. "It seems there's a lot Jim and I didn't realize about the power of this bond, and well...when I went to him, Spock didn't exactly welcome the idea that we were together. Chris, from what Dr. M'Benga has explained to me, it wasn't his fault. And it's Captain Kirk's choice not to press charges against him, at this time." I didn't bother to tell her that I really hoped Jim would change his mind, at least until we could get all this sorted out. Did I believe Spock belonged in the brig? I guess on some level, after what I'd witnessed, I did. I was beginning to realize that he'd been driven to it, and that there was more than one person to blame for what went on. But to realize he was capable of that kinda violence, I knew he was a time bomb just waiting for the next opportunity to explode and I knew the next time, someone was gonna get killed. Christine was still trying to make sense of this and I knew I couldn't just wait around for the next round of questions. There was someplace I needed to be. I stepped off the table and glanced in the mirror. Where M'Benga had used the regenerator on my face, it looked like I'd only been in a fight with a small Klingon. I smoothed my uniform, made my excuses to Chris and Geoff, grabbed another hypo from the supply shelf and, after taking a deep breath, stepped out into the corridor. Oh, God! My legs are asleep. I've gotta stretch! Computer pause --- Chapter 7 Computer resume Okay, so I got some strange looks, but no one confronted me directly. That much I was grateful for. I just tried to ignore the hushed whispers as I passed by. There were a couple'a people hanging about when I keyed the override to Jim's cabin and stepped in. I was grateful that the last thing I heard was Scotty's booming voice saying, "If ye dinna have anything better to do than stand around, then ye'll find yer'self on scrub-down detail!" Bless him! The door slid closed behind me and I saw them on the bunk. Jim was cradling Spock as if he were a child. Spock still seemed to be quite out of it. Jim looked up over the dark head. "Leave, Bones," he said. I stepped closer and spoke softly in a voice that I hoped wouldn't disturb the sleeping Vulcan. Hell, if the truth be known, a phaser blast probably wouldn't have awakened him, not with the shot I'd given him. Anyway, I said, "Jim, I need to see you. Please, it's important." Jim looked down at Spock and then freed his arm from beneath him. With that same gentleness I had seen from him once before, he smoothed the ruffled dark hair and laid a blanket over the sleeping form before he rounded the leaning partition. "What is it, Bones? I want to be with him when he wakes up." I could hear the irritation in his voice even though he was speaking barely above a whisper. I felt like I was working a puzzle where none of the pieces fit. This man had raped Jim, once for sure, probably twice, and here he was cradling him. He'd been upset at having the bond forced on him, but had told Spock that he wanted them to work it out. Spock had forced the bond on him, and wouldn't hear of them staying together. But, let someone else show some interest, and he turns into some wild lunatic. And everyone thought I was losing it! I had nothing on these two! But right now there were more pressing issues. "Jim, the word's out. I assume the whole ship knows what went on here last night." "I assumed as much. What else?" he asked. "What else?" My voice grew louder, but I was still trying to hold it down to a roar. "Jim, there's about a thousand 'what else's.' Where would you like to start?" He nodded toward the bed. "With him, is he going to be okay?" "Yeah, he'll be just fine. May have a doozy of a hangover, the stuff I filled him full of is pretty potent. But, other than that, he should be back to his old, cheerful self in no time!" Yeah, I know, probably not the time for sarcasm, but there are some things you just can't help. He asked me, "Is there any way to bring him around? I have to talk to him before it's time to report to duty." "Report to duty? Jim, have you just heard anything I've said?" I couldn't believe he was just gonna walk on the bridge like nothing had happened. "Bones, we dock in two days. Like it or not, I'm still the captain. I have a job to do and I intend to carry it through. Now, answer my question, is there any way to bring him around?" The green eyes flashed at me. Somewhere deep down, on top of everything else, you just had to admire a man with this much gumption. I fingered the hypo I held at my back, knowing damned well that it would counteract the sedative. I brought the mechanism out and handed it to him. "It's set at the right setting. Just get it into the shoulder or neck area and it should begin to work in a couple'a minutes. You want me to stay?" "No, there's no telling what he'll do if he finds you here. He'll be all right with just me. I'm certain of that. Now Bones, leave us alone." The anger behind those eyes had cooled, but the forcefulness was still there. I nodded my consent. "Come see me later, will ya? There's still a lot to talk about." He nodded back at me. "Tonight, after the shift's end." I walked out into an empty corridor. Evidently Scotty had been successful in dispersing any curious onlookers. Well, sir, that was about the longest damned day I've ever lived through. I checked the on-duty roster after the start of alpha shift and, sure enough, Jim was on the bridge. I didn't wander up to see how things were going, was trying to keep a pretty low profile, myself! Spock hadn't reported in, but he hadn't been assigned, either. Not that that usually kept him off duty. Sure, there was enough in sickbay to keep me busy. I had to have everything finished up and catalogued. Although I had most of it finished, there are always those things you find which are overlooked. I think Chris thought I was gonna fall apart at any minute. In reality, she probably wasn't far from wrong. But every now and then she would either reach over and lay her hand on mine, or just ask me if I was okay, and it would keep me hanging on just a little longer. I know that Chris and I have had our differences over the years. But I have'ta give her credit, yesterday it was her strength and nonjudgmental attitude that kept me together more than anything I did. Hell, had I been left to my own devices, I probably would've crawled into this bottle twenty-four hours ago. It was just after seventeen hundred hours when Jim walked into my office. Sure enough, he had come right after the shift end. He looked like the walking dead. I swear, this man who always looks the picture of health with his golden hair and his golden skin, looked positively gray. I think I told him that he looked like the devil, and asked him if he wanted a drink, but he shook his head. He sounded tired and irritated when he asked, "Well, you asked me to come down. I'm here, what do you want?" I told him exactly what I wanted. "I want to talk to you, like we've always been able to talk to each other. Jim, I don't understand all that's been going on here, I don't think you do, either. I don't know about you, but I need a friend. I need to talk to the person who's been my best friend over these last five years. And, something tells me, you need a friend, too." "What I need," his voice softened to barely above a whisper, "is him. I need Spock, and he's leaving." "Leaving? To go where? When?" I asked in a rush. He held out a chip. "I found this when I got back to my cabin. He sent through a notice that he's resigning his commission and returning to Vulcan. As for when, I guess after we've docked and have turned the ship over." Now I have to tell ya that this news was not exactly a surprise to me. Spock had talked about going to Vulcan several weeks before in his cabin, but until the events of the other night, I just assumed that they would figure out something to make this work. Now, I wasn't so sure this was a bad idea. "Jim, maybe this is what you both need, to have some time apart. Spock certainly isn't in the frame of mind to think clearly right now, and..." "It's not just some time apart. According to this, he's going to Vulcan permanently. It says that as a part of purging all emotions, the bond will be broken, and he will never see me again. Bones, after we've docked, I'm going to go to him. I'm going to tell him that I'll go with him, whether it be to Vulcan or to hell, I don't care." I couldn't help myself when I asked him, "Jim, what are you doing? Have you lost your mind? Do you remember what happened just hours ago?" The eyes that looked back at me weren't those bright, hazel-green lights of wonderment that I had watched for these many years. These were clouded with confusion and anguish, the likes of which no one should ever have to face. He emitted a sound that chilled me right down to my bones. It was a chuckle, one devoid of all humor or joy. "Lost my mind? An interesting way of putting it. As for what went on, Bones, you're the one who doesn't understand. I drove him to it. Don't you understand? I love him. I can't stand to be without him." I never expected to feel the stab in my gut with that one statement. But there it was, like a hot knife had just been buried inside of me. Of all the times I'd wondered what kept them apart, I'd never thought about how it would feel if they ever really discovered what they felt about each other. I couldn't stand to see him standin' there, taking all the blame himself. "Jim," I said, "Spock tried to tell me. I didn't listen. He told me to stay away from you. So if you're wantin' to lay the blame for last night somewhere, here I am. But I don't care how many ways you try to twist this, nothing can justify what he did. I've known Spock as long as I've known you, and the man that showed up in your cabin in a rage isn't the man we've served with all these years. Did you get a chance to talk to him? What'd he have to say?" He shook his head. "Not much. He had pulled back into that shell and as soon as he was able, he got up and left. He did say that I was in error not to have him arrested." Now I was just on the verge of tellin' him that that may be the first thing Spock and I had agreed on in ages, but I didn't have the chance. The comm beeped and a message for him came through. It was Chief of Security, DeLasso. First thing I thought of when I saw who it was callin', was that Spock was on the rampage again and headed to my office. Guess I was a little concerned that just Jim and I being together would set him off. But it wasn't anything like that. Jim keyed the unit and DeLasso informed him that the Vulcan transport had pulled along side and Mr. Spock was ready for departure. Jim asked who had authorized this, and the officer answered, "Mr. Spock, sir." Jim looked at me, and you wouldn't believe the terror that was registering in his face. He took off outta my office toward the transporter room and I wasn't two steps behind him. We musta looked like two madmen tearing off through the ship like we did, but I guess nothing we could do would surprise the crew at this point. The doors to the transporter room slid open, only to see Mr. Kyle standing behind the control panel. Other than him, the room was empty. "Lieutenant, where is Mr. Spock?" Jim asked. "Sir?" the confused man asked. "Why, he's just transported over to the Vulcan ship, sir." "On whose authority, Lieutenant?" Jim asked. "Authority, sir? Why, on his own authority. He ordered me to transport him over, and I wasn't going to disobey a superior officer, sir." It was true, Spock could do as he damned well pleased. There certainly weren't any restrictions that had been placed on him. I could see Jim was realizing this too. "Very well, Lieutenant. You're dismissed." Kyle nodded and left the room. Jim walked to the control panel and called the communication station. "Uhura, put me through to that ship." "Yes, sir. A moment, Captain," she answered. There was silence between us as he waited for the connection. "Sir," her voice came across the comm, "the Vulcan ship had just warped out. Our request for further communication is being denied." "Understood, Lieutenant. Kirk out," he replied. Jezus! The look in his eyes! I swear, if we hadn't been standing in the transporter room, likely to be walked in on at any second, he would'a lost it right then and there. Never seen a man look so hit in the gut before. He walked right past me, like I wasn't even there, and into the corridor. Stood there for a second like he was trying to decide which way to the turbolift. I didn't say a word, didn't dare. Not just yet. He'd already suffered enough humiliation with the crew. He didn't need to fall apart in public. I followed him to the lift and got on with him. He had to command his deck twice; the first time the computer didn't understand what he'd said. I still don't think he knew I was there with him. It wasn't until we were in his cabin that he turned and looked at me, almost surprised to see me, I think. I looked around, the results of the previous night's activities still blatantly apparent with the mesh screen still leaning over like it was gonna fall at any moment. I can't even tell ya what I was thinking right then. Hell, there was so much running through my mind, I felt like my brain was on warp speed. Confusion, anger, sadness; yeah, they were all there. And, I hate to admit it, but some relief that he was gone was floating around in my skull, too. Some part of me thought that maybe, just maybe, with him gone, we could begin to put this mess behind us and move on. And, I thought to myself, Jim wasn't losing the one person who really loved him. I was still here, and I wasn't going anywhere! I guess that's the moment it really hit me. All this damned skirting the issue was over. I was in love with Jim Kirk, madly, hopelessly, follow him to the ends of the fucking universe, in love with him. And it'd only taken me five fucking years to figure that out. But now that Spock was outta the picture, I wasn't gonna let anything stop me from makin' sure we'd stay together. Again, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. "Jim..." I said when I looked back at him. He started to shake, all over. I walked to him and put my arms around him. I was gonna do whatever it took to hold him together. I couldn't lose him, not now. We'd get through whatever this was he was goin' through, together. I was gonna see to that. "It's okay," I whispered. His arms wrapped around me in what could only be called a death grip. "I've lost him," was all he could get out before the first racking sob hit him. With that, all the energy drained from him and as he shook, his body heaving against mine, he nearly collapsed. It took all my strength to hold us both up long enough to get us over to the couch where we toppled down. No longer havin' to support us both, I could hold him as he let it all out. Now I've had to deal with a lot of losses out here in the last five years. Hell, we all have. Not to mention I've had to sever some serious relationships over this time--losses that still hurt to this day, if the truth be told. But I've never seen anyone with the broken heart that Jim was dealing with right then. But it was perplexing as hell. Had they been partners for a long time--and had I not witnessed what had happened just hours before--I could'a understood it. But I'll be damned if I could understand why he was so bloody upset over losing someone who had just brutally attacked and raped him, not once, but twice. I've seen Jim lose people that he loved, or thought he loved, in the past, more'n I care to think about, but he'd never reacted like this. But I knew instinctively that this wasn't the time to try figurin' all that out. This was the time to just hold him and help him get through it. And that's what I did, for a long time. I held him until his body just couldn't take anymore and he began to fall asleep. Even then, the occasional deep sob would rouse him as it raced through his body. When it seemed he was through the worst of it, I laid him out on the couch and covered him with a blanket, still sitting on the edge beside him. It felt good to be able to move my shoulder again. It had fallen asleep sometime before. I slipped out of my tunic, leaving my T-shirt on, and realized that one arm was nearly wringing wet from the tears he had shed. Right then, I think if I could've gotten my hands on that damned Vulcan's throat, I would have been tempted to choke the life outta him. I still didn't understand all that had gone on, but I knew he had hurt this man, the man I loved, in a way that no one else on God's green earth had ever been able to. And no matter the reasons, that was unforgivable. I caressed the golden hair of the sleeping man. Spock had once taken Jim's pain away when he was hurting, and Jim was furious at him when he found out. But right then, I wished I'd had that ability. I would've loved to go into that tortured mind and scrape out every last ounce of pain from him. But I was doing all I could. I was there with him, and would stay forever, if he'd let me. I leaned over and kissed the side of the head. I tasted the salt of the perspiration and tears that were still fresh on the skin. "I love you," I whispered quietly so's not to disturb him. Oh, jeeze! I have to stop this. Talking about this is going to tear me apart. Computer pause --- Chapter 8 Computer resume I'm gonna get through this, dammit! Call it my own personal catharsis, call it a drunken old fool, call it any damned thing you want, but dammit, I've got to finish this! All right, just about the time I though he'd quieted down for the night and could find some rest, he came up off the couch like a madman. He emitted such a shriek that it scared the hell outta me. "Jim! What's wrong?" I screamed. "Oh, God, Bones! I'm being ripped apart!" he moaned as he fell to his knees. He crumpled onto the floor in a heap. With his forehead pressed against the rug, he wrapped his arms around his head and squeezed, writhing in agony. "Jim, my God! What the hell's happening?" I shouted. I went to the floor beside him and reached for his pulse. Now, the first thing I thought of was that he had a ruptured aneurysm. But the pulse from his carotid was strong and pounding against my fingers and he wasn't becoming unconscious like he would've been if that were the case. I tried to turn his face to me. "Jim!" I shouted, again, "what is it?" "It's being ripped from me!" he moaned. "Ripped from you? What, Jim? What's being ripped from you?" I hollered. "The bond! Oh, God, Bones! He's severing the bond!" he wailed as he writhed against the floor. "Spock! NO!" he screamed. His body rolled and undulated across the floor, tipping over the lightweight coffee table, spilling the data chips and glass of water that had been on it, until he was pressed against the precariously perched screen. I was able to get to my feet and grab it just before it collapsed on top of him. I flung it in the opposite direction where it landed with a loud, metallic clang against the foot of the bunk. When I was sure he was out of physical danger, I turned back to him. He had stopped moving and was almost catatonically still. I think I was more scared right then than at anytime throughout this whole situation. I flew over to where he was and threw myself down beside him. "JIM!" I bellowed. Even with the pure panic reflected in them, I was never so relieved to see his eyes roll up and look at me. I reached across for the blanket he had thrown to the floor and tucked it tightly around him. I wrapped my arms around him as if I could stop the pain from reaching him. I was afraid I was about to lose him, if not physically, then certainly his sanity was being stripped from him. And there was nothing, not a Goddamned thing I could do about it. It was in the hands of someone light-years away. And then, as quickly as it started, I felt him relax within the makeshift cocoon I had him encased in. His panting breaths became more normal and I relaxed my hold on him. He released his arms from his head and I could see the red marks where he had pressed so tightly against the sides of his face. I watched as the look of fear and panic cooled, mutating into something less traumatic. I reached to brush back the damp hair clinging to his forehead, but he jerked his head away from my hand. "Jim, you okay?" I asked in a much softer tone than I'd used in these last minutes. I just wanted to hear a response from him. I knew damned well he was far from okay. He nodded slightly and stated to sit up. I reached for his arm to help him, but he pulled it away. Okay, it's nothing personal, I thought. He just needs to prove to himself that he can get up on his own. I'll be right beside him if he starts to stumble. I'll always be right beside him if he starts to stumble. It wasn't easy, but he got to his feet. He looked around at the mess and he walked toward the turned-over table. He bent down and started to collect the objects that had been strewn about when he had kicked it over. "Jim," I said, "leave it. I'll get that stuff cleaned up. Just sit down and rest for a few minutes." "No," he shook his head. "I have to get this in order. I'm fine, Doctor. You can leave. I'll be all right, now." I couldn't believe my ears. DOCTOR? LEAVE? What the hell was this? But, I calmed down and decided he was just trying to overcompensate for what he'd been through this evening. Maybe he was even a little embarrassed that I had seem him fall apart that way. He just needed to understand that I was in this for the long-haul. "Jim," I smiled and shook my head, "I'm not going anywhere. It's me, Bones, and I'm here for you. There's no need for you to feel bad about what's gone on here tonight." He looked at me and his face softened, some. He sat the table upright and placed the items in his hand on it. Standing up, he said, "Bones, it's not that I don't appreciate your bedside manner, but I have to deal with what's happened on my own." This was certainly not what I was expecting. "On your own? Don't you know that I want to stay here with you? Don't you know how I feel? That I lov..." "Stop it, Bones. I think I know where you would like to see this go, but you have to understand, it can't be. The bond Spock made with me is broken. For the first time in months, I'm free. I'll never give up a part of myself to anyone again, not like that." I tried to interrupt him, but he wasn't going to let me get a word in. He continued, "I've felt what it was like to love someone with everything I have in me to give. The pain is worse than any phaser blast I've ever felt. And it's never going to happen again, not with you, not with anybody." "Jim," I managed around the hard knot that had formed in my chest. "I know this thing with Spock has hurt you. But you can't allow yourself to become closed off to everyone. I still can't understand how you could have these feelings toward someone who's treated you the way he did. But we can put this behind us." He shook his head again. "You don't understand. I've already put it behind me. It's over. It's time to move on. It's time for all of us to move on." I knew I was treading on dangerous ground here. In hindsight, I knew I was pushing things too fast, too hard. But do I ever listen? Never. So I pressed on, getting into Jim's face. "Goddammit, Jim, I know you've been hurt. And you're right, it seems that what went on between you and Spock is over, at least that bond that he foisted on you. You didn't ask for any of this. Hell, none of us did. But I'm the one who wants to be with you. Right now you're just puttin' up all the defenses you have to get over what happened on that planet, the bond, the humiliation of the scene last night, his leaving, and the...attack." I didn't call it a rape, even though that's exactly what it was. He tried to stop me, but he'd had his say, now it was my turn. "And when you come out on the other side, which you will, I want to be the one there waiting for you. What we've had together..." And again, he interrupted me. I was gettin' kinda tired of this. This time there was no softness in his voice as he said, "What we've had together was nice. I'll agree. But it's over. Do you understand me? Over." I knew there wasn't gonna be any gettin' through to him, not in this frame of mind. And if I stayed around against his wishes, we were gonna end up in one hell of an argument. Maybe it would be best to let him alone for a while. Once he calmed down and thought about it a bit, he'd come to realize what we could be to each other. I reached over on the chair and grabbed my tunic I had tossed there earlier. I didn't say a word. There was no sense arguing with him, not now. And he sure wasn't gonna get me to admit defeat. I threw my shirt on; the crew had seen me quite disheveled enough lately, thank you, and, with one more exasperated sigh, headed for the door. Back in my cabin, I found myself playing out every scenario in my head. If he walked through that door, I would run to him.... no, I would treat him very coolly... no, I would act like nothing had happened and just hear him out... no, I would slap him silly for puttin' us through this... no…I knew exactly what I would do. I would wrap my arms around him and never let him go. But the minutes, then the hours, ticked by and the door never opened. I would go from lying on the bunk; the images of the night before kept bringing the acid taste of bile to my throat, and I would end up in the head, heaving. I'd sit down at the computer console; nope, no messages. I would wander over to the liquor cabinet; no, not the way to handle this, have to keep my wits about me. I'd go to the closet where I was throwing all my personal items in the shipping containers supplied; what was that that broke? Screw it! And, eventually I'd go back to the bed, where it would start all over again. That brings us up to this afternoon. The door signal about startled me right outta my skin. I'd been waiting so long for that sound, that when it came, it almost didn't register. "Come," I announced. The door slid open, and there he was. It felt like every molecule in my body was about to explode. Of all the ways I'd imagined this moment in the last hours, I never suspected that I'd be frozen stiff. I couldn't move; I couldn't swallow; I couldn't breathe; hell, I couldn't even blink. But I could feel the tremor that began in the middle of my gut and consume my whole body. I was trying to read his expression, but couldn't. "May I come in?" he asked, jarring me outta the stupor I was in. "Yeah," I managed, still standing stone motionless. He waited until the door closed behind him before he began with, "Bones." He paused and I already knew this wasn't good news. "I hope you understand about what I said in my cabin. You've been my friend for these years, and I don't want to hurt you." "But?" I asked. Guess I wasn't capable of more than one word sentences at the time. "But, I can't be anything more to you than that." God, he was trying to make amends, but this wasn't what I was wanting to hear. "You were right, you know?" "About?" There I was, again. Guess I'll never be considered a renowned spokesman. "About everything that's happened. You were right. It's over. And I'll find a way of getting through this." This was sounding way too final for me. Collecting myself, I took a deep breath and a step forward; yes, it seemed movement was once again possible. With that, I said, "Jim, right now, with the ending of the mission, and Spock's leaving, you feel like you've had the wind knocked outta your sails. As soon as you've been assigned to another mission, and back out in space, you'll get your feet under you again. Hell, this crew would follow you to hell and back, already have, I think. Once they understand what went on here, they'll forget all about this. And you know I'll be there to sign on whenever you're ready." I tried to make my voice light as I said, "Hell, I wouldn't know how to operate on solid ground anymore. Guess I'm destined to remain space-bound." I saw him purse his lips then bite the lower one ever so slightly before he said, "Bones, there won't be anymore missions, not for me. See, I've been told that there's a place at Starfleet Command. Admiral, Chief of Operations. I think that's where I need to go. This chasing through the galaxy isn't for me anymore. "Jim, NO! Don't do this!" I blurted out. "Don't throw away everything you've worked for to become one of those damned pencil pushers!" "It's done, Bones. I've already accepted. I report at oh-eight hundred, day after tomorrow to Starfleet Command." I stood there and watched him. He'd changed. In the years I'd known him, we would've talked this over a glass of our favorite beverage before he'd made a decision like this. Now, he didn't need anyone to talk things over with. But that wasn't all that'd changed. There was no more light in his eyes. Yeah, he was gonna make a fine Admiral. He already had the dull look, no spark, just like the rest of the fat-assed brass. He was giving up, and giving in, to the pressures of Starfleet. I never though I'd live to see the day. Have I said that already? Whatever, it deserves repeating. "Well," I finally said, "I guess there's nothing else to say. Your decision is made." He nodded. "I won't have time to meet with you after we dock. I just wanted to come by and tell you I wish you well, in whatever you decide to move on to." "Thanks!" I answered sarcastically. If he was waiting for me to wish him the same, he could stand there till the cows came home! No way in hell was I going to wish him happiness buried up to his brass in Starfleet! He opened his lips quickly, making that slight popping sound that no one but me could possibly notice, and said, "Well, there are things to do. Docking will proceed at oh-six hundred. Have you called transport to have your shipment scheduled?" "No," I answered, not bothering to hide the anger in my voice. Ignoring that, he said, "I'll have them contact you." With that, he turned and left. Guess it was about ten seconds later that I opened this bottle of bourbon. No, it was the last bottle I opened. Or, was there one before that? Can't remember. Doesn't matter. Before I got really drunk, I forwarded my resignation to Starfleet. I'll do horse surgery on the outer rim before I let them get their hooks in me again. They can take their promotions and their commendations and shove 'em where the sun don't shine, for all I care. Well, my friend, that brings you up-to-date. You know, I've been thinking, why would Starfleet offer the best damned Starfleet captain in the service a desk job? Now that I think about it, seems to me that this offer to be promoted to Admiral came awful quick. S'my personal opinion that Starfleet got wind of what's been happening around here, and decided to reel him in a mite. Hell, they sure weren't gonna discipline him, not after the successes he's afforded the fleet in these last years. But I can see that they would want him where they could keep an eye on him for a while. So, maybe I jumped the gun. Maybe this wasn't all his decision. Well, it's morning and I seem to be more sober than I anticipated. The ice is melted and this last bottle I opened is still pretty full. Guess I won't be needing anymore of this anytime soon. It's a shame having to pour all of that down the drain. Computer pause --- Computer resume Well, in the last hour I've been doing some serious thinking. Maybe this is what's for the best, for all of us, Jim included. Maybe we all need to step away from this...arggg... damned dress collars...and recoup what's left of our lives. I sent along a message to Jim a little while ago, telling him I'd tendered my resignation since I feel like Starfleet isn't where I belong. I told him I wished him happiness, or contentment at the very least. I owe him that much. I hope someday he'll understand why I can't stay. I guess time will tell. Yeah, I guess you can say that I finally get it. I know what I feel for Jim and I know that if we tried to stay together, we'd end up destroying anything that's left of what we had. Guess in the long run, I'd been right all along, but now that I understand how I feel about him, I can't say it doesn't hurt like the dickens. And as for what Jim felt for Spock? Well, I have to believe it wasn't only the bond that caused it. Guess I'd have to admit that if he did belong with anyone, it would be that Goddamned Vulcan. But, from what Geoff M'Benga has said, and the message Spock left just before he left, that's no longer a possibility. Guess we've all seen the last of him. Seems he'll be holed up on Vulcan from now on, some kinda monastery that he's joining. Whatever this Kali'near thing is, it's a life-long commitment. Well, Spock, I can honestly say that I hope you find peace there. You didn't ask for what happened to you anymore than the rest of us did. So, Jim, if ya have to do this, then you'll get no more argument from me. I can't believe I'm saying this; maybe I am still a little drunk. But go do whatever it is you've got to, to put that light back in your eyes. Maybe, someday, we'll meet again. I hope so. And I hope that I'll see some of that man I've come to know over these years. They just called and said the transport is here. Time to go. Computer, stop recording and eject chip. --- The End