The BLTS Archive- The First Smile by Riss (usc_mam@yahoo.com) --- Thanks to my beta readers Bridget & Sasscat! Disclaimers: Paramount owns Star Trek. This is fanfiction. Nuf said. Feedback and critiques warmly welcomed. --- "You're late." "Sorry, Seven," Tom said as he strolled through the Cargo Bay doors. "A conduit blew in Engineering. Joe and Sue had some minor burns that Doc wanted me to stay and treat." "You could have let me know," Seven said as she stepped down from her alcove. A huge smile appeared on Tom's face as she came into view. Once again she had replicated a new dress. This time it was a late 20th century design. After racking his memory he finally decided it was called a sun dress. The front dipped a little lower than the blue one she had worn to his quarters, and he was pretty sure the design would call for the back to go even lower. The flowers which decorated the dress were a startling blue, setting off her eyes, the ivory background made her skin glow. While Seven could carry off the cat-suit, it was amazing how much more beautiful and appealing she looked in a dress, sandals and her hair down. "You look wonderful!" Seven's gaze dropped to the floor as he continued the compliment. "Your taste in clothes is outstanding." Finally Tom's mind returned to the question she had asked earlier. "Harry's still recovering from the Travien Flu he picked up last week. He's isolated in Sickbay until tomorrow. I didn't see the need to create a scene," Tom said as his grin faded to a small, sad smile. "Create a scene?" asked a perplexed Seven. "To create a scene," Tom explained patiently, enjoying the chance to teach her more slang, "refers to something similar to last week in the Mess Hall." "So Ensign Kim's screaming at you during breakfast and futile attempt to beat you up can be referred to as creating a scene." "I wasn't quite so confident in my fighting skills. Harry was mad when you ignored him and joined me for breakfast." "It was a futile attempt due to Lieutenant Commander Tuvok's presence and his ability to swiftly terminate the altercation." "You're doing a great job at assimilating humor," Tom managed to get out in between gasps of laughter. While Seven didn't join him in laughing, her lips turned up into what Tom was certain was a smile. The sight of it sobered him. Only a few feet separated them and Tom closed the distance in seconds. Hesitantly he reached out his hand and caressed her cheek next to the smile which was lighting up her face. For a moment she didn't even breathe. Tom was afraid he'd done something wrong, but she was so beautiful. Finally Seven caught Tom's eyes. He could see the confusion being overwhelmed by desire. The confusion which had briefly appeared on her face quickly disappeared as the smile returned. His own expression lit up as he marveled at how much he liked seeing that expression. As he looked into her eyes Tom realized just how much his feelings had changed in the last week. One week ago he had another case of insomnia, sitting in the Mess Hall bemoaning how he liked B'Elanna and she wouldn't even talk to him anymore. When Seven had come in, it took a moment for him to even extend the offer to join him. As he lost himself in the blue depths of her eyes he realized just how close he'd come to missing out on this moment. Only the look in her eyes that resembled his own first days on Voyager reminded him of his offer of friendship. Finally Tom lowered his hand and captured hers within it. "Ready to go?" he said as he started to gently lead her towards the doors. Tom reflected on the need to move slowly combating with his desire to draw her into his arms and never let her go. The thought which had put the brakes on him a few moments ago had been the idea that the longer he could wait, the more likely she would be able to understand and return his feelings. "The blue shirt you are wearing complements the color of your eyes." "Thanks, Seven," Tom said with some surprise. "The database indicated that giving complements creates a pleasurable feeling in the recipient." Seven paused for a moment as she tried to decipher the feelings flowing through her at his appreciative smile. As they stepped onto the turbolift the confusion left her face. "Deck 4." "Great," Tom interjected with a grin, "I'm the recipient of another database lesson." "Additionally the color incites an illogical yet pleasant hormonal response which increased my heart rate and respiration." Once again Tom reached out his hand to touch her face, but this time instead of a simple caress he drew her face towards his for a kiss. It was a gentle, almost chaste kiss except for the feelings that both parties poured into pressure applied to the partner's lips. "So that's why Ensign Kim threw a fit in the Mess Hall and ended up spending a day in the brig last week," broke in Captain Janeway's voice. Tom and Seven slowly separated from the kiss. "Sorry, Captain," Tom answered without ever taking his eyes from where they were locked in Seven's own piercing stare. "I know, private quarters not public spaces." As they moved past Janeway and towards the holodeck, Tom once again captured Seven's hand in his. As she watched them walk past, Janeway's attention was caught by the contrast between his human hand and her Borg enhanced one laced together. The metal curling around his fingers served to remind her of Seven's unique situation on Voyager and just how much of her humanity she had yet to rediscover. "Lieutenant, may I speak with you for a moment?" "Certainly," Tom said as he turned to face her. "In private," she said as she walked past them towards the holodeck. With a raised brow that Seven must have assimilated from Tuvok, she released his hand. A small, apologetic smile crossed Tom's features as he followed Janeway into the unoccupied holodeck. Rather than say anything after the doors closed on the bare holodeck, Janeway began to pace. After a moment of watching her circle the room, Tom grew restless. "Is something wrong, Captain?" "I am concerned about your behavior," she answered without looking at him. "Seven of Nine has only just begun to discover her humanity. She has only lived five years of her life outside the collective. She needs to rediscover her humanity..." "I understand that." "She does not," Janeway continued without pausing to acknowledge the interruption, "need to jump over years of development. She does not need you taking advantage of her," she finished, finally meeting his glaze. "I'm not," Tom returned evenly. "What was just going on?" Janeway held up her hand to stop him before he could even try to interrupt. "Sleeping with her is not acceptable behavior!" Tom finally began to lose his cool as he answered her. "Contrary to popular belief, I do not sleep with every member of the female persuasion, nor the rest of the ship either if some of the rumors are actually believed. As a matter of fact, I've turned Seven down because I realize she's not ready. I'm her friend. Maybe, one day it will be more. I'm beginning to like the idea of that, but I'm just here as a friend, something that she needs right now." Janeway's shoulders relaxed slightly with his admission that they hadn't had sex, however she wasn't completely calm yet. "Then what did I just witness in the turbolift?" "A week ago Seven come to me and we started discussing various things, from Earth to human interactions." "Why did she come to you? I've been trying to help her to understand her humanity." "Why me? Because I made her an offer of friendship when no one else on this ship will see her as anything else besides a former Borg. Why not you? I think you intimidate Seven..." "Captain, you treat me as a child while Lieutenant Paris interacts with me as a colleague and a friend," Seven said from the doorway. "Remind me to explain discretion to you later, Seven," Tom said as he tossed a smile at her. "Our holodeck time has already begun," Seven said by way of explanation. "Not using the hologrid is an inefficient expenditure of time." For a moment Janeway observed the silent interaction between the two. She was amazed at the range of emotions which passed across Seven's face as she walked over to Tom. The small smile that appeared on her face along with the emotions reflected in her eyes illustrated the wonderful job Tom had been doing with her. She clearly felt much more than friendship, which seemed to be reflected in Tom's eyes as well. As Janeway discreetly left them alone on the holodeck her thoughts turned to a related subject. Exactly how was she going to keep her chief engineer from killing her helmsman when she realized that he was in love with someone else. --- The End