The BLTS Archive - House of Stone I House of Stone by Novus Homo --- No reposting allowed without my permission (I'll probably say yes.) This is my story; I wrote it. No copyright infringement intended. Comments always welcome. Warning: no sex or relationships mentioned (except for Harry/Libby). Hey, envoy did it, why can't I? --- "Build for me a house of stone Lock it up when you leave me alone Cage it in a fence of iron To keep your child from all harm Mother, mother oh help me Someone's trying to hurt me..." Kate and Anna McGarrigle, "Mother Mother" --- Imagine drawing a very hot bath, a hot steaming bath, so hot that it is near the edge of what your skin can stand. You ease into it, and become languorous. Maybe you read, or listen to music. The communicator rings. You stand up abruptly. You become abruptly drowsy, as the blood runs from your brain through your heat-dilated veins. The world spins and you clutch frantically at a bar. You see a rush of grey static and a roaring noise. You remember nothing else until you rediscover yourself sitting in the tub, water all over the floor. My earliest memory was of that exact sensation. I was sitting in my room - I must have been three or four years old. My room was in an apartment building on the slopes of Mount Royal. I was born in San Francisco, but my family moved to Montreal when I was very young, when my father took a designing job for Starfleet Intelligence in that city. My room overlooked the gleaming city below, and one of my greatest joys was to watch the flashing, glistening spacecraft of all designs rising like birds from the St.-Hubert spaceport on the other side of the river. I was watching a large, brushed duranium spacecraft - Betazoid, I seem to recall - when the communicator went in another room. The beautiful image in front of me shattered into its component colours, which spun in a blur. The beep of the communicator became a piercing shriek, like claws on a slate chalkboard. I fell backwards and started screaming. I couldn't move, I couldn't think. The sound of the communicator and the image before me were too much to process at once. After a few incidents of this type, my parents took me to the psychiatrist. They didn't tell me until much later, but I was diagnosed with autism. This disease was an extreme rarity in the enlightened 24th, and even after they cured the more severe parts of my syndrome, I was left with difficulty in interpersonal dealings. When I was in school I never took too much of an interest in the other students. Although I did have some crushes, I never had a girlfriend or boyfriend. Or even a best friend, for that matter. Instead, I poured all my energy into my studies. I found I thought in pictures; I didn't understand how anyone could think in words. I was lonely for years, but I never realized it. I knew how awkward I was around other people, so I created an eccentric persona to go with it. I was the unfailingly polite, sweet, naif little man who knew everything. Math trouble? Ask Harry. Need some trivia? Ask Harry. People kept asking me questions which were designed to embarrass me. I didn't get any of the subtext, even though I'm sure they found it a riot. The disease unrelentingly drove me to attain perfection, and when I couldn't, I was swamped with frustration. Finally, I joined Starfleet, studying science and (ironically) communication technology. I wanted to escape, to run away from the world I couldn't understand into the cold shroud of space. I could make something for myself. I met Libby. I thought we were boyfriend/girlfriend. I was completely faithful to her, and she to me, I suppose. In many ways she was as naive as I was. Then I got my first deep space assignment. I was thrilled; this was what I joined up for. In many ways I was better at communicating with the computers and navigation devices than with people. Then my ship was lost... --- continued in House of Stone II - 'Rainbow Ride'