The BLTS Archive - Idle Conversations Fifth in the Infinite Possibilities series by Jen Ferris (kevas@aol.com) --- This little bit of froth has no social significance, no deep meaning...just a conversation between two people at home. For what it's worth, this one *does* fit into my Infinite Beginnings A/U. You pick the time. Disclaimer: Paramount owns them all. They just don't want to let them grow up. --- "And I don't know what we're going to do about the promotion roster," Janeway said, finishing her thought and her coffee at the same time. She stretched and headed toward the replicator. "You want some?" "That stuff's going to kill you," Chakotay murmured, not for the first time, still studying a readout and not paying much attention. "I think I've heard that before." "What?" The executive officer of the Voyager took the time, now, to actually *look* at his captain. She was a little the worse for wear this evening. Hair disheveled, and in need of a trim; shoes off, uniform loosened, lipstick only a memory. Chakotay leaned back into the couch, propping his feet up on the coffee table. Janeway unceremoniously picked them up, slid past Chakotay, put his feet back onto the table with a thump, and settled into her favorite corner of the sofa, snuggling in and burying her toes under the cushion beneath Chakotay's rump. "I said, what are we going to do about this roster. You know as well as I do that Delaney deserves a promotion. She's been unbelievable in Astrometrics." There was no answer, and she squinted over at him. Chakotay was staring at her, but he didn't seem to be quite focused. "What is it?" No answer. "Chakotay?" No answer. "Commander?" That got his attention. "Sorry. What?" She smiled tiredly, cradling her coffee cup for the warmth. "Where were you? And what are we going to do about Delaney?" "...Kathryn," Chakotay said slowly, "have you ever thought about getting married?" She almost dropped her cup. "...Where did that come from?" She put it down on the table, carefully, watching her hand as she did so, glancing around the room, anything for just a moment but look at Chakotay. He wouldn't be avoided though. "Well?" She sighed. "Of course I've thought about it. From time to time." She met his eyes honestly. "Not often, though." "I expected that." If he was alarmed at her less than enthusiastic response, it didn't show. As a matter of fact Chakotay seemed very relaxed. "But now it's come up. So." She glanced at his face, at the smile barely visible, and let her eyes rake down his body, outlined against the soft civvies he wore. "So 'it's' come up, has it?" She sidled closer to him on the couch. "No, no, love," he smiled. "That won't work." "Well 'it' has come up before, and we've managed to...deal with it, so I just thought-" "I asked you a question. Got an answer for me?" She put on her matter-of-fact face. "I answered it already. Yes. I've sometimes thought about getting married." "Not *that* question." "That's the only one you asked." "Should I?" his tone was suddenly serious. "Should you what?" she asked, stalling. "Stop it. I'm serious." He lifted up a bit, tugging her feet out from under the cushion and cradling them in his lap. "Chakotay," she said cautiously, "what's this about?" "Don't make things so complicated. I just-" "You're saying *I* make things complicated? Talk about calling the kettle black-" Chakotay shook his head. "-don't. I love you. You love me. I think." Janeway kicked him lightly for that. He grabbed her foot and started rubbing her ankle before he continued. "-and we've been, um, cohabiting on a more or less steady basis for a while now. I want to spend my life with you. Or you to spend yours with me, your choice. Is that so hard to envision?" Janeway relaxed fractionally. At least he wasn't confrontational about it. "You just surprised me, that's all. Why marriage, of all things?" "Well..." Now it was his turn to hesitate. She frowned, just a bit. "What? You'd better tell me." Still relaxed, slouching on the sofa, Chakotay shook his head. "It just occurred to me how *comfortable* this is." He gestured around the room. "I...oh, hell. You're going to laugh at me." "No I'm not." He eyed her in disbelief. "Uh huh. All right. I just - I don't want you to think I'm taking this for granted." Eyes half lowered, her attention focused, Janeway smiled. "Commander...you pursued me for quite a while, as I recall. Whether you were vocal about it or not, you hung in there for a long time." "Longer than that," he prodded her thigh. "So I'm supposed to worry that...what am I worrying about here? That my charms have faded? That now that you've got me, you won't care?" Shamefaced, Chakotay shrugged. "I just didn't want you to think that." "Sweetheart," Janeway scooted closer, till she was practically sitting in Chakotay's lap. "I have not for one moment thought you were taking *me* for granted. All right?" She let her hand wander between them. "Stop that, this is important." He moved her hand away from her explorations. Janeway laughed. "Maybe I *should* be worried. I'm pretty resistable all of a sudden." "Never," Chakotay growled. "You want me to show you?" He squirmed around till he was lying on top of her. Janeway's legs were folded uncomfortably under him and she wriggled loose. "Sure." Chakotay leaned in for a kiss before sliding away. "In a minute. You still haven't answered me." "You didn't ask, you know." At his exasperated look she sat up. "But...is there something that I'm missing here? Chak..." Her face was serious now. "Does it bother you that I haven't asked you to move in here?" "Well..." "You know it's important to me that we each have our own...that we have our own space to go to. To get away if we need to. To sulk if we need to." "I never sulk." At Janeway's disbelieving look Chakotay shrugged. "Well...not very often. Not lately." "No. But you haven't answered *me*. Is this an issue?" Hands folded across his chest, Chakotay glanced sideways at her. "You want an honest answer?" "Of course." "Then...no, not really." He shrugged again, not sure if that answer would perversely disappoint her. Women, well, men too, he amended to himself...women like to be wanted. To be needed. To be pursued. "I understand that part." "Okay." But Janeway's expression said she wasn't convinced. "I didn't mean to throw you. I'm--maybe this isn't going to sound challenging enough for you. I'm pretty happy with the way things are. This is going to sound simplistic. But...I don't need the trappings, when I've got you." She settled back. "Well, then." "But I thought that somewhere in there, maybe you might. Need them." Janeway laughed, a throaty half-chuckle that sounded content, or as content as her challenging nature would permit. "No. I don't need the show. I don't need a ring on my finger. I don't need a noose around your neck, either." "Or yours," he said shrewdly. She just shrugged. "So...can we shelve that idea for now? Without any hurt feelings, secret resentment?" "If you're sure." She looked askance at him. "If you are. I mean it, I don't want you to feel rejected here." They regarded each other cautiously for a minute, trying to gauge sincerity. Something in Janeway relaxed as she studied him. "All right." "Okay, then." She picked up the padd she'd discarded earlier, but didn't look at it yet. For a moment her expression was almost shy. "Chakotay?" "Hmm?" He'd pulled her feet back into his lap and was massaging them gently, a precursor perhaps to another, more intimate exchange. "...thank you for asking." His expression was very warm. "You're welcome." Janeway leaned back into the corner of the couch with a contented sigh and picked up the padd again. She began to read it, and after a minute actually paid attention to its report. "Chak?" "What now?" He was leaning his head back, eyes closed in relaxation. "...What *are* we going to do about Delaney?" He opened his eyes and looked at her. "Which one?" --- continued in 'Bedtime Story'