The BLTS Archive- Sleep by Blue Champage (rowan-shults@sbcglobal.net) --- This is something like a hurt/comfort, but more of a ticked-at-the-universe/comfort. It's set during "A Time To Stand", the second of the "Call to Arms" triple ep; right after the Defiant reaches station 375 for reassignment. Everyone had been up for days at that point during a forced retreat. Except for Sisko, who went to talk to Admiral Ross, the Defiant crew have been given quarters where they can get some rest...before finding out that their next assignment is aboard a Jem'Hadar attack ship rather than the Defiant. Personally, I'd never seen Julian, up to that point, in a less Julianlike state. I'm thinking his closest friends might have been worried about him... --- Miles tapped the signal; no response, which was what he'd expected. If he'd been at Dax's door, or Sisko's or Garak's, he'd assume it was because the occupant was asleep--even Nog had been out like a light practically before he could get to his own room. In this case, though...Miles casually entered a general-purpose maintenance code he remembered, then added a couple of elements, and the door slid open. He stepped in and let it shut. It was dark except for the starlight from the window. Julian was silhouetted in front of it, leaning on the pane with his arms folded, staring out. He'd undressed down to his T-shirt, but still had his uniform slacks on. Finally, without having looked around, he muttered "Oh, Miles, bugger off, won't you?" "You're having trouble sleeping," Miles said, not as a question, "unless you've learned to sleep standing up?" "Yes, I have. As an intern. And anyway, you're the one wandering about." "Just wanted to make sure you'd put yourself to bed." "Checking up on *every*body?" "I'm worried about you." "Spare me, Miles. Worry about us all. We're all in the same condition. Better yet, worry about the people who are dying out there. Worry about the families of the dead members of the Seventh Fleet." "I do. We all do. But though none of us are exactly cheerful, you were in a bit better shape than the rest of us--until that last retreat. And then when we heard about the seventh fleet...I've never seen you--" "Angry?" Julian snorted. "No, not that. I've seen you rage. This is different. Do you know what the puca is?" Julian finally looked at him. "You came here to talk about fairy-tale animal spirits at a time like this?" he growled. "That's a later meaning for the word," Miles said calmly. "Originally, it referred to a part of the Celtic soul. A dark part, powerful, a violent side. Rather a mirror of the self, but not quite." "What drove the berserkers." "That's one example. It also came out in you, as soon as we heard. I was standing right there. I saw it happen." "Oh, you did. I suppose you expected me to start laying waste to everything around me?" "You wanted to. More than you wanted anything else in the universe right then, including to live, that was what you wanted. You'd been dropped into the middle of a Jem'Hadar garrison, you'd've taken a hell of an honor guard with you by the time you went down. Instead, it sank in again, and you doctored like a madman, and kept your mouth so shut..." "That's what's bothering you, eh? The lack of my ever-present mouth?" Julian looked back out the port. "Is there a point to this?" "Yeah. As much as you used to drive me--all right, as much as you still drive me bleedin' insane with your twelve-year-old's brand of idealism...I think I watched it take a death blow then. Sorta surprised me to realize--I don't want it broken completely." "I do *not* need your condescension right now, Miles!" Julian gritted in a dangerously cold voice. "Sorry, but I couldn't think of another way to put it." Julian sighed, rubbing his face with both hands, and went to sit on the bed. Glacially quiet, he graveled "Please. Just let me alone. Before I throw you out of here. And don't think I won't." "I know you might, that's why I'm here. Will you just listen? This is important--and it isn't easy for me, either." Julian was quiet a moment, then nodded, without looking up. Miles went on, still speaking haltingly, but with quiet determination. "I've got experience at dealing with the way you're feeling now, with what happened to you when you heard the news...and take it from me, you need someone around." "I don't feel like talking." "So don't talk. That isn't the point." Miles came and sat down too. "What I mean...well, look. I know where you wanted to be when you heard. At one time, I'd've thought it was because you were insensitive enough to want to use a disaster like that to get yourself the title of 'hero'. Later, I'd've thought you were just so green and arrogant you honestly believed that you, personally, could have made some kind of real difference out there, and your guilt was self-indulgent. Now, though, I know you're just eaten up with survivor guilt and frustration and grief like the rest of us...only worse. You're used to being able to do things the people around you can't, in general, plus you've always had...such expectations for this life, and here you are in the middle of an idealistic healer's worst nightmare. This is the hardest grief you've ever felt." "I understand survivor's guilt, Miles. You just said yourself I'm a doctor." "You understand it, but to experience it to this degree...and maybe there is a little of that self-indulgent I-could-have-helped left in you." "I COULD have, damn it, done *something*, anything!" Julian slumped, realizing he'd just given away something he hadn't been planning to. Miles waited a moment, then said quietly "We weren't exactly hiding in an ivory tower, in case you'd forgot. We're only lucky we came through as well as we did. Physically." "None of this explains why you have to be *here* and I have to listen to this." "Because with that sort of thing going on in your head...this is the last time you ought to be left to your own devices. Your mind'll start eating it's own tail, until you *believe* the way you feel, right down to your bones...I've known people that's happened to. It's nearly happened to me, Dax, the Captain...it's never been so bad for you before, but it has been for me, so I can tell you--we don't need to talk. All someone in your position needs is not to be alone. There's nothing yanks a fit of existential angst back down to flesh-and-blood reality like havin' another warm body nearby." Julian was quiet a long time. "I might make that recommendation myself--to someone else. I'm not someone else, and I--" "--need to get some sleep, and you won't, if I leave. And from what I know about this--it's not certain the same man would walk out of here in the morning. Like I said...annoying as that bushy-tailed brat can be, I want him to grow up, not die. And he's on his last legs at the moment." "Just what the devil do you intend to do? Sit with me until I fall asleep?" "Something like that." Julian very nearly growled again. "I have the highest respect for your parental instincts and abilities, but there's a place and a time for them." "Right. So lie down and be quiet." "Miles, this is past enough!" "Julian...will you trust me? Let me do this for me, if not for you." Julian eyed him in the dimness. "You're really serious about this. About not wanting me to wind up...believing what I feel, I think it was." "I'm serious." Julian was still, and Miles, who was sitting by the headboard, scooted up and arranged the pillow behind himself, then turned and held out his arms. "Fine, we'll do this the hard way." Julian was briefly dumbstruck, wide-eyed; he managed to whisper "I think you're the one who's been sorely affected here." "Shut up, Julian." Miles beckoned with both hands, not moving otherwise. Julian's expression suddenly twisted into a blank-eyed, mirthless stepchild of a smile. "Right, then, you asked for it." He slid around and let Miles pull him close, and helped arrange them so his head was on Miles's shoulder. "You *know* I'm going to tell everybody about this." "No you won't." Julian sighed. "Kick your boots off, your heel's in my hip. Thanks." If Miles was any judge--and he was--Julian was dead asleep inside two minutes. Miles relaxed and joined him. --- "Miles..." Miles stirred, realized he was sleeping sitting half-up against a headboard, and carefully turned his head a little; using the warm weight that lay across him for leverage, he raised his head and opened his eyes. Oh, yes...he moved the hand that had been resting on the other man's waist, shook a bit of deadness out of it, and touched Julian's hair as delicately as if it had been Keiko sleeping on his chest, or one of the kids. "Julian?" "I nearly froze," Julian whispered, motionless, his breath caressing Miles's collarbone through the grey T-shirt. "Inside. I had to keep going, and it seemed like the only way. It was...knowing what I knew...was too much." "You wouldn't have been the first," Miles murmured. "What people call guts of iron are usually guts of ice, in my experience. But I'm glad you fought the fimbulwinter off." "*You* did," Julian corrected him, almost inaudibly. "You were right..." he yawned and lifted his head to press his forehead against the side of Miles's neck, hiding his eyes. "Shhh...we haven't slept near enough. Here." Miles rearranged them a little so that he wouldn't wake up with a muscle spasm the likes of which this starbase had probably never seen, but relative to Miles, Julian stayed in pretty much the same place. "Now just let yourself drop off again." Another small yawn, "...keep my soul warm..." "Promise. What are friends for?" Miles felt Julian relax against him, and kept stroking the younger man's back until he was sure Julian was asleep; then he closed his own eyes again, too. --- Miles woke again some time later--a couple of hours by the chronometer--and realized he was about half insensate. "Sorry if I wake you, Julian, but I'm going dead," he muttered, and gently started shifting the other man over. Julian abruptly came awake, his head jerking up and his eyes snapping open. His expression was a little beyond startled, more panicked, as his hand clenched in the fabric of Miles's T-shirt. "Easy, there, lad..." Miles gently disentangled Julian's hand. "They're just dreams...we need to move a bit or you'll be carrying me out of here in the morning." "You're not going, then." "'Course not." Julian slumped, his eyes closing. "We might as well be comfortable." He sat up off Miles and turned away, starting to get out of his uniform slacks. Miles got rid of his own outer uniform; it took him a moment longer. He noticed when he turned back that Julian was still sitting facing away from him, his head bowed. Miles sat back down. "You were any fairer and your ears'd be crimson." A pause. "Very likely," Julian said slowly, quietly. "There's no need to feel foolish." "The hell there isn't," Julian muttered. "Care to hear a little story about the hero of Setlik III?" "Spare me the inspirational anecdote, Miles." "I wouldn't call it inspirational, Julian. Embarrassing, more like." "In that case, let's have it. I've heard a lot of things about the hero of Setlik III, but never that he had any reason to be embarrassed about the experience." "He can be just a bit stodgy; he doesn't spread this bit around usually. Anyway." Miles laid his hands on Julian's shoulders; the other man tightened just a little, but Miles only began speaking in an entirely casual voice. "Not that much to tell, really; he'd seen quite a bit of bloody slaughter by the time he and his people got to that broken transporter..." "He saw it at the Barika encampment--he led two dozen against an entire regiment of Cardassians. Took the whole lot out. The transporter he repaired in less than ten minutes, under heavy fire, without a scrap of previous knowledge as to the workings of transporters. Saved thirteen Fleet soldiers; anything else to the story?" "Oh, yes. How do you think he managed to stay so cool after what he'd just been through, and under that kind of pressure?" Julian was silent. Miles waited a moment, then said quietly "Thanks to my squad second, the iceman didn't get me, despite what I'd seen, and what I'd had to do, and I came out with what turned out to be one in a long series of decorations. I'd still have done what I did, any way I could manage it, but If it hadn't been for her...what I'd've lost wouldn't have been worth a wall full of medals." "Miles..." Julian half-turned, and Miles moved his hands, leaving one on Julian's near shoulder when he became still again. "It's not the same. You were so young." "Not all *that* much younger than you are now, in more ways than by the clock. Yes, I do know what you've been through, what you've seen, what you do every day since this war started, and you don't know why you should be in such straights now, after this particular turn in the fighting. But look at it this way--the carnage at Setlik III wouldn't have got to you, because of what you do, who you are...but it did to me, then. What you finally can't live with and still be able to *feel*...is something different for everyone." Julian was quiet; finally he murmured "So what exactly did your squad second do that was so helpful?" "Just what I'm doing with you, that's all...one difference. I was more resistant. We got into a shoving match about it and she hit me with a right cross that loosened three teeth. That's when I knew she was serious." Julian managed a half-smile. "Perhaps I'll send her a thank-you note." "Um, about that...I'm afraid she died on the Rutledge. Out on the border...damn. I shouldn't have said that. S'pose I'm not as good at this as she was." Julian was quiet, his gaze focused on the carpet; then he said "Not that I'm any judge, but I think you're doing well enough." "Thanks. Now, we've got a few more hours; let's get some more rest. Julian...oh, stop being such a baby and come here." They climbed under the coverlet, Julian muttering "I'm sorry. I just can't shake the feeling I should be telling you I'm all right and don't need this." "You likely will be all right, by tomorrow. For now, anyway. But I'll be watching for that damn puca." "Is it supposed to be an inherently evil thing?" Julian settled against Miles's chest again. Lying flat, without their outer clothing binding around their various blood vessels, the position was comfortable enough--and Julian had gone for it, once he relented, apparently without thinking twice. "No, it's like I said...a reversal sort of aspect, very strong, but it comes from a place that has nothing to do with rationality. It has its uses, certainly. It's given me an edge more than once. But to you...letting yours get hold of you long would be something you couldn't forgive yourself for easily. You wouldn't be able to trust yourself again for a long time." "I'll take your word for it. And I'll try not to make you loosen any of my teeth if it comes to it." "My knuckles appreciate that." They were silent after that; Julian dropped off like a stone again. Not surprising, after what they'd all been through, Julian especially... --- "Where you headed?" "The base infirmary to check on our wounded, first. Breakfast with Jadzia. We're joining the Captain and Admiral Ross later for initial briefing. You?" "Meetings with the other engineers. I'm not sure what about; apparently they don't think we have any 'need to know' until we get to the meeting." Miles sipped coffee. Julian got up, having just pulled his second boot on, and went to pick up his own cup. "No clue at all?" "Dax has heard nothing from the Captain?" "Dax said the Captain's heard nothing from Ross." "Bloody. I don't think I like this." "Me neither." They were quiet a long moment, Julian looking out the port, Miles sitting on the edge of the bed finishing his coffee. "Um...Miles...I just wanted to--" "No need, Julian. You've done enough for me, after all, during our career as one of the oddest couples outside of Dax and Worf." Julian smiled. "Or her and Quark." "Has she ever had anything like a typical relationship with anyone?" "Not her style, really. But what I wanted to say was that I'm sorry I snapped at you. I know coming here last night like you did can't have been easy for you, to say the least, and I was no great help." "I *told* you how I reacted when someone tried to do the same for me." "Still. Thank you." Miles stood up, setting his cup back in the replicator, then turned to face Julian again. He regarded him a moment, then shrugged. "Last night wasn't really anything unusual, Julian. Soldiers old or young love to talk about camaraderie, loyalty, watching each other's backs in a fight...but you won't have heard much talk around about how the battles go on sometimes, off the field, behind home lines. Doesn't sound heroic; doesn't make a good story. But it's just as much a part of the loyalty. I wouldn't have let you be alone last night any more than I'd have abandoned you in the middle of a battle." Julian dropped his gaze a moment, then, looked back up and nodded. "I was only teasing. I won't really tell anyone." "Bloody right you won't, if you know what's good for you. I'll see you at the general briefing?" "See you there. I hope we'll both know more then." "Yeah, me too." Miles was quiet just a heartbeat, then turned for the door and started for his first meeting of the day. --- The End