Title: Avir's birthday snippet
Author: Bertie
Email: bermille@earthlink.net
Archive: why soitonly
Note: utterly and shamelessly AU. No canon was hurt in the writing of this story. LOOK AVIR - NO SEX :)

*****

Mulder returned to his office to finish up paper work after a long day of chasing after the fifth man who claimed to see aliens that week. He was exhausted but decided he should get the paperwork done for Skinner tonight.

Mulder began his report as he normally would, trying to explain away the reasons for yet again chasing after phantom alien sightings with little or no results. He knew this was a nearly impossible task. Skinner would be very tired of the same report handed to him, but what could Mulder do?

As his fingers slid over the keyboard effortlessly, he decided that surely there was a better way to hand in the bad news to his boss. He couldn't stop himself from writing in the last line: 'Sir, if you prefer, I would much rather give this report over a plate of vermicelli over at Scalli's over on G street.'

He hit the send button and smiled to himself. How could his boss turn down a dinner invitation like that? He had reservations to eat there, to treat himself after a long week. Normally he would have invited Scully but she was called away by some family emergency. He began to fiddle with some paperwork and was very happy to hear his computer beep him that he had received an email. He opened the email quickly which read:

Mulder, I don't know what you're game plan is, but since this is my birthday, I would love to have dinner with you at Scalli's.

Should we go in my car? Meet me in my office in thirty minutes.

Mulder was abashed he hadn't known his boss's birthday, but it certainly wasn't something one did in the FBI. Birthday parties thrown for coworkers were verboten. Ever since the disastrous day when two FBI agents were caught in a love triangle which began at a birthday celebration at one of the agent's house, birthdays were no longer celebrated.

Mulder was so thrilled his boss accepted though, that he began to straighten his tie and smooth his spiky hair as best he could. Rummaging through one of his desk drawers, he found some breath mints and chewed on one.

Glancing at his watch, he turned off his computer and left his office. Butterflies were fluttering his stomach as he boarded the elevator and pushed the 6. He wondered if this was a good idea all the way from the elevator to Skinner's office. Kim had already left for the day and the door was open invitingly.

Skinner sat behind his desk, finishing a report to the DD. Mulder smiled, seeing this sight wasn't as intimidating as he remembered when he first met his boss three years ago. He waited until Skinner had finished typing then gave a small cough.

"Mulder- will be with you in a moment."

Skinner saved his document then sent it in an email. Then turned off his computer. He stood and Mulder admired the long, lean form of his boss.

Skinner grabbed the light suit coat from the back of his office chair and folded it over his arm.

"Ready to go?" Skinner asked Mulder, who looked very well for someone who'd been running around all over chasing down phantom X-Files the past week.

Skinner felt an odd desire to place his arm around his agent's waist as they walked to the elevator together. Good thing he had the self-will not to succumb to such a temptation. It wouldn't do for a supervisor to be caught getting familiar with his subordinate on the FBI's security cameras.

Skinner was looking nice tonight and Mulder wanted to throw his boss against the elevator door and play tonsil hockey the rest of the ride down, but somehow restrained himself. The very real fear of having Skinner restrain him in a headlock kept him from even standing too close. Once in the garage, Skinner motioned for Mulder to join him.

"I'll bring you back here to pick up your car," he explained to Mulder.

The drive over was pleasant and quiet. Skinner was the careful driver type that wanted silence while he concentrated on the road. Mulder picked that up quickly and contemplated what he had gotten them into by inviting his boss to dinner, but the fact it was his boss's birthday seemed all the better.

Skinner's car was a sleek grey Lexus that seemed to glide over the road, especially with Skinner at the wheel. Mulder steeled glances over at the quiet, hard man next to him. He had an overwhelming urge to do something wild and crazy but knew that would be certain death.

When they arrived, it was a rather deserted since the busy 6-8 hours were over. The restaurant stayed open until 11 since their customers usually had odd hours.

The maitre d didn't recognize Mulder but was happy to see Skinner and led them to a table that was strangely romantic. Mulder now wondered who Skinner had brought to this restaurant before. Seemed odd that the maitre d would bring them to such a romantic table since there were plenty of tables elsewhere.

A waiter came to the table and handed them menus. They both ordered their dinners in Italian, Skinner asking for a fine wine, and the waiter took their orders happily.

"You speak Italian, sir?"

"Yes, Mulder, my mother was Italian. She had her boys speaking it before we knew English."

Mulder was then told about his boss's family. Three boys raised by an Italian mother who loved her children dearly. The father on the other hand was a strict Russian born man who instilled discipline in his unruly boys. Mulder smiled to himself over his boss's fatherly influence.

When their dinners arrived, they sat quietly eating, Mulder watched his boss surreptitiously. An evil imp was telling him all sorts of things to do to the man to loosen him up. The wine could only do so much.

When their plates were cleared away, Skinner ordered some tiramisu and Mulder was obliged to do the same. Mulder couldn't help a curious desire to lick his boss's mouth after he took a bite of the fluffy dessert. The agent was certain the man's flavor would be amazing with the light sweetness of tiramisu.

Afterwards, Skinner excused himself to the restroom while Mulder sat thoughtfully, wondering if there was any chance in hell he could make a pass at his boss at some point during the drive back to the Bureau without getting himself fired or his hand chewed off.

Skinner allowed Mulder to pay for the dinner and he held the door open for Mulder like a gentleman as they left the restaurant.

"That was great, Mulder. Thanks so much. I certainly wasn't expecting anything," Skinner told Mulder once they were in his car.

"Don't tell me no one has given you a birthday present?"

"Well, Kim has.."

Mulder nodded, suddenly feeling sad for his boss. The man certainly deserved something better than dinner from one of his most troublesome agents.

When Skinner made a move to start the car, Mulder stopped him.

"Just wanted to tell you, you're a great boss, sir." Then he moved closer to the older man and kissed him softly on the lips.

Skinner looked shocked but his eyes didn't move from Mulder's lips.

"Uh, if that was a bad move-"

"Not at all, Mulder, not at all."

Skinner's right hand grasped the back of his subordinate's neck and pulled Mulder to him.

"I think this is turning out to be one of my best birthdays yet."

Skinner pressed his lips softly to Mulder's, teasing the skin, causing a shiver ran through the younger man's. Then the tip of his tongue touched Mulder's bottom lip and he moaned, opening his mouth for Skinner.

Not one to shirk a gift horse when it's given to him, Skinner's tongue slid inside smoothly, licking delicately along Mulder's teeth and gums. It tickled, but the feeling was so delightful, Mulder didn't squirm away.

Skinner's tongue teased some more, lapping slowly up and down the insides of Mulder's mouth until Mulder was squirming and breathing heavily against the other man's cheek. After a moment, Mulder bravely touched his own tongue to his boss's. Their tongues slid and teased each other mercilessly, sharing each other's breaths, the strong hand holding Mulder captive as they explored their mouths thoroughly.

When they pulled apart to calm their pounding pulses and breaths, they touched their foreheads together.

"I think we need to take this elsewhere, don't you?" Skinner finally growled softly.

"Yes, sir!"

Skinner grinned at the eager reply and look, then started the car.

***

Mulder was anxious to get the drive over with. He wanted to feel that big body against his, doing all sorts of things that he'd only fantasized about. So what if he'd only gone down on a few men in his sexual history? He'd also had his share of nameless men in bars willing to give him a hand or blow job until an embarrassing time when someone called him a face fucker and he decided he'd stop frequenting that bar.

He looked over at Skinner, the older man concentrated on the road as if he were roughing it and was worried if he looked away for a moment from the road, they'd be upside down in a ditch. Gotta love a man like that, Mulder mused to himself. Did I just say the l-word? I think I'm getting old-- worried about the future? Thinking you'll be left alone and miserable? He sighed audibly and Skinner looked at him. He shook his head and the big guy just smiled then turned his attention back to the road.

God, am I so obvious? Mulder looked down at Skinner's lap and grinned. Any doubts of him being the only one eager for this drive to be over with was gone. The man could hammer nails with that thing. Mulder's ass clenched, now worried of the prospect of that nail driving inside him...

Just then a cell phone chirruped inside the car. It didn't sound like his so Mulder looked over at Skinner. His boss sighed.

"I better get that." Skinner moved off to the side of the road and pulled out his cell phone.

"Skinner." His voice was much milder than when he worked, Mulder noticed. He hoped it was because of the knowledge the big guy was going to be getting a willing agent in his bed soon.

"Sharon? What? I don't believe it! Are you sure? Yes, alright, fine. No, nothing to worry about. I will be over in about," he checked his watch, " forty five minutes. Yes, I'm on the way back to the Hoover, left something there. Alright, will do." He shut his cell phone and put it away before looking at Mulder with regret in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Mulder, that was my ex-wife. She said she had something urgent to talk to me about. Something about some missing papers or something from our divorce. I gotta take a rain check." He looked sad as all hell and Mulder just wanted to make him feel better so he said, "I understand, sir. We can do this another time."

"Thanks, Mulder. I was looking forward to - to get to know you better."

"Me too." Mulder reassured the big man but wondered if this was actually a good sign that they were taking this too fast.

The drive back to the Hoover was silent and tense. Skinner said goodbye to Mulder once he dropped him off at his car. Mulder just nodded and got into his car, letting his boss leave to deal with his ex.

Part two