Knowledge Does not Equal Power

by Amiroq
---

Disclaimer: Character theft? Me? Never!

Notes: This story was inspired by 'I know' by Placebo, from their debut self-titled album. It's… interesting. The title for this story is not actually Knowledge Does Not Equal Power. 'Does Not Equal' is what I put in because the keyboard doesn't have the symbol I want - the equals sign with a dash through it. So if you ever write the title manually, use the d.n.e sign. Um, what else… Oh, right. The name 'Chale' is pronounced like EITHER Karly or Shayle. I figure names will have changed in 400 years, so why use boring old normal names? :)

(c) Amiroq. aka Gypzy, October 2001

---

"He doesn't love me."

We're sitting in Sandrine's; you just walked over and sat down, and asked, "Okay. What's up with you, Paris?" I gotta say, Torres, you're the last person I thought I'd be confiding in about this - out of the realistic possibilities, I mean. But, well, you're here, and you know the guy pretty well, so I figure, what the hey?

You pause a little, and I can almost tell what you're thinking, almost. "Harry?" you ask.

"No, Morgan Rhys," I snap. "Of course Harry, who'dya think?"

"Of course he does. Any idiot could see that."

"Nah, not when we're alone. He loves the idea of having someone so wrapped up in him they'd do anything for some attention. If it wasn't me, it would be someone else." Don't look so shocked, Torres. It's the oldest con in the book - everyone loves a nice guy. Even you. Yeah, don't think I didn't notice the way you looked at him the other day. Sure, he's nice eye-candy, but he's worse a fuck-up than me.

"Tom, that's ridiculous. This is Harry we're--"

"I know. Sweet, innocent Ensign Eager, always looking out for those in need, everyone's best friend Harry Kim. Yeah, well try dating him. He's not the next Jesus Christ, okay?"

"You think he's been putting on an act all this time?"

"Crazy, isn't it?" I agree. Time for an example. "Remember that incident with Chale Morris? Everyone thought she was stalking him?"

You nod slowly.

"What you don't know is that she was pregnant. With his daughter. He didn't know, that's why he said he'd never dated her."

Now I can see the understanding dawning on your face. "How do you know?"

"It's in her file. Under some kind of lock. And you know what? I glanced through a couple of the Doc's subroutines, and I saw the same kind of lock in there. I'm no engineer, but Harry is."

"And you haven't reported this?"

"Oh, and you think the Captain would believe me? Besides, I don't think I could. You know Harry."

You snort, half laughter, half disgust. "I thought I did."

"B'Elanna, don't tell anyone. If you do, I'll lose him, I know it. And as much as he's a right bastard, I'd rather have him like this than risk him setting me up like that."

"But what if he--"

"If he leaves me, go for gold. Until then…" I pause dramatically. Yeah, I'm putting on a bit of an act, too. "Face it. He's got us wrapped around his little finger."

The look on your face is confirmation enough of that. I don't think you'll tell.

---

End


back