Groovy Things

by Amiroq
---

Disclaimer: Paramount owns Star Trek, Simon & Garfunkel own 'We've Got a Groovy Thing Goin'.

Notes: I have eclectic tastes in music.

---

bad news bad news
i heard you're packing to leave
i came a-running right over
i just couldn't believe it


---

Harry knew two instants before Tom's door was fully open that what B'Elanna had said was true. Tom was leaving.

God.

He looked around his best friend's now stark quarters in dismay. "You're leaving," he said flatly. Tom refused to look at him, instead continuing to stuff clothes in his bag.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm leaving." Well, that was that, then. He leaned heavily against the doorframe, not caring that he was just letting it stay open. Tom was leaving. Tom was leaving? He hadn't known things were that bad. Sure, he'd been late for work a couple of times, Chakotay was giving him hell, but. .

Tom was leaving.

---

woah baby baby you must be outta your mind
do you know what you're kicking away-iay
we got a groovy thing going baby
got a groovy thing


---

"Why?" he asked hollowly. God, like he wanted to know. It didn't matter, not really.

Tom seemed to know what he was thinking though - good ol' Tom, just like always. "It's not you, Har. Don't think that."

"So what is it?"

"I can't-- I just can't be here. It's not working out." He had finished filling his bag, and was struggling with the seal. Harry took two steps over and put his hand on Tom's, calming him.

"The hell it's not. Tom, what's going on? The way you've been acting--"

"Harry, please! Just don't ask. If I ever asked you anything, I'm asking just don't ask."

---

i never done you no wrong
never hit you when your down
always gave you good lovin'
i never ran around


---

"Well, why not?" he demanded. "You owe me that much, don't you? God, Tom, you've been acting weird almost since we've been together."

"I told you, Har, it's not you. I'll be ba--" He grimaced, shook his head. "I'll be okay. And so will you. You don't need a loser like me in your life."

He stood and started pacing, and Harry leaned back to watch him.

"You aren't a loser."

"That's where you're wrong, buddy."

---

there's something you ought to know
if you're fixing to go
i can't make it without you
no no no no no


---

"I said, you aren't a loser, Tom. And you're wrong. I do need you in my life."

Tom stopped pacing suddenly, as though he'd been stung. He was facing the wall, staring away from Harry resolutely. For a moment, he didn't answer, but when he did his voice was deceptively quiet. "Not anymore, Har."

Then he turned back around and hurriedly started busying himself again. "Look, I gotta lotta things to do, so can you just come back later or something?"

Harry Kim knew a dismissal when he saw one. He walked away angry.

Tom was leaving.

---

End


back