TITLE:  The Threefold Charm - Part I

NAME: frogdoggie

E-MAIL: frogdoggie@hotmail.com

CATEGORY: SRA

RATING: NC-17. M/SK. M/SK/SC eventually. This story contains SLASH. VERY GRAPHIC CONSENSUAL SEX BETWEEN MEN. SOME M/F SEX TOO. So, if you don’t like that type of thing - STOP NOW! Forewarned is forearmed. Proceed with caution.

SUMMARY: Mulder, Skinner and Scully's relationship deepens and takes a new turn - with complications . The action in "The Threefold Charm" takes place in April and May of 1999 - several months after "Tripartite" This story is the fifth installment in a series. Obviously you may want to read my previous stories, "Baton Rouge" (winner of the 1998 Spooky Award for Outstanding SK/M Romance), "Discordia Concors", "Embarrass du Choix" and "Tripartite" to understand this narrative. Those stories can be found on my web site at: https://www.squidge.org/3wstop.

FEEDBACK - YES PLEASE, AND THANK YOU SIR, CAN I HAVE ANOTHER? Comments, suggestions and healthy debate are always welcome. Flames? I use them to roast weenies, hamburgers and Italian sausages on the grill.

TIMESPAN/SPOILER WARNING.: This takes place well into the new season but we have now departed from the events that are occurring in it quite a bit. Mulder and Scully still have the X-Files and Skinner is still their boss at the moment. I mention "Triangle" because that would fit in nicely with the M/SK/SC scenario of this story. So, I've kind of reinvented the mytharc for my slash AU. Sorry if that bothers you - feel free to go elsewhere if it does. I won't mind.

KEYWORDS: story angst slash Skinner Mulder Scully NC-17

DISCLAIMER: Fox Mulder, Walter Skinner, Dana Scully, Margaret Scully, Jeffrey Spender, the LGM and all other X-Files characters belong to Chris Carter, Ten-Thirteen Productions and 20th Century FOX Broadcasting. No copyright infringement is intended and no profit is being made from their use. Dennis Carr and Phil Meyers are mine. If you want to use them fine, but please ask first.

***Author's notes: I've attempted to bring in some of the mytharc elements from Season 6 at this juncture. So, Mulder and Scully are now without the X-Files and Walter Skinner is no longer their boss. But the scenario for why this happened is a bit different. You might say it has a frogdoggie twist. This is before S.R. 819 - which if I had anything to say about it never happened anyway (or had a much different ending!)

The story grew and grew like Topsy. As a result "Charm" is divided into three sections. It will be more easy to post and put on my web sites this way. So the entire story consists of Part I, Part II and Part III.

BTW: Author's epilogue at the end of Part III.

One last note: This is dedicated to "The Chatterers". You know who you are. You know what you do. Voodoo. The Hoodoo that most people don't dare do. You have my deepest thanks.

The Threefold Charm - Part I by frogdoggie

Come, sit thee down upon this flowery bed,
While I thy amiable cheeks do coy,
And stick musk-roses in they sleek smooth head,
And kiss thy fair large ears, my gentle joy.

December 31, 1998. Crossroads, Maine. 11 PM EST.

"Walter?"

"Hmmm?"

"Wake up. We have an hour to go till the ball drops."

"I could make a comment at this juncture but I'll let you off easy."

"Well, I'm not letting you off. You were snoring."

"Sorry, champagne does that to me sometimes. Maybe I should say Happy New Year now and go back to sawing wood."

"Oh come on. You can keep your eyes propped open for an hour. Although I have to admit - you did look kind of cute with your mouth hanging open."

"Oh sure, I bet. Was that Scully on the phone?"

"Yup. She just wanted to say Happy New Year."

"Ah. Good. Wish she could have stayed through tonight, though. I would have liked to wish her a Happy New Year in person."

"Yeah, me too. She said the same. But she really did want to be with her mom."

"Understandable."

"Yeah."

"Her mom's a rare woman, Mulder."

"Unquestionably."

"Just like her daughter, Fox. You're lucky to be have Scully on your side."

"*We're* lucky to have her on *our* side."

"Yeah, well..."

"Ah hell, Walter, you know she's ok with you now. She's...I think she's going to be ok with all of this now."

"I guess."

"Guess?"

"OK, I know. But I think we got off lucky."

"Crap yeah. I know I did. I acted like such a moron."

"I'm not gonna go there. We've been down that road."

"It isn't worth a return trip?"

"Exactly. But you know, Mulder..."

"Yeah?"

"Well...I just appreciate Scully meeting me halfway. It was hard for her. I admire her for having the guts to accept this arrangement. I really liked talking to her too, Fox. She...shit, she's got balls."

"Oh yeah, no question there. She'd have to have steel ones to get along with you anyway, Mr. *I eat rebellious agents for breakfast* Skinner."

"Hey, I'm trying to cut back. Come on - give me a break."

"Too rich for your diet?"

"Too much acid indigestion."

"I see."

"You should, Mr. *Ditch Me* Mulder."

"Hey! I've been a good boy there myself."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Well I have. Ask Scully."

"Ask Scully, Ask Sculleeeee..."

"Fuck you, Mr. Skinner."

"Is that a request?"

"Not if I'm going to give you acid indigestion."

"I'll take a Pepcid AC."

"You're bent."

"The better to get fucked, my dear."

"God, what a potty mouth."

"I was a Marine, remember? And you like it when I talk dirty."

"You have a point."

"Of course."

"Walter?"

"Yes?"

"Any New Year's resolutions?"

"Not really. I always break them anyway. You?"

"None."

"Why?"

"Same reason."

"Great minds think alike."

"There you go. And Walter..."

"Yeah, babe?"

"I hope...well I just...I hope 1999 is as good as the end of 1998. Because these last few days have been the best. I mean it."

"Mulder..."

"Yeah?"

"They've been the best for me too. You've been the best for me, Fox."

"I...thanks, Walter."

"Believe me, it's been my pleasure."

"So, it's almost 1999, big guy."

"Mulder - you want to start 1999 out right?"

"How?"

"Come back to bed and I'll show you."

"Now you're talking stud muffin. Shift over."

"Snuggle up, Fox."

"No problem. Can...would you like to hold me?"

"Always."

"God, you are so warm, Walter."

"High metabolism I guess. And you're subtle charms have an affect, of course "

"The heat feels good."

"Oh yeah. Inside and out."

"Beats the fireplace."

"All to hell."

"Fox? Hey. What's up?"

"Oh, I was just, you know...I like the way this cross lies on your chest."

"Over my heart?"

"Yeah."

"I like it too. I haven't taken it off."

"I've noticed. I...I...really..."

"Shhh. It's ok babe. It means the world to me. Just like the man who gave it to me."

"Love you."

"Yeah? Well come here then..."

"Hmmm. That's nice."

"So the old man sucks face pretty good, hey?"

"Lord, you have such a way with words, Walter."

"Just call me Mr. Romantic."

"You mean Mr. Clean..."

"What?"

"Nothing. Shut up and kiss me again."

"Mouthy bast....mmmmm."

"So what else did you have in mind, Mr. Romantic?"

"How about this?"

"Oh yes, that's very nice, Mr. Skinner. But I think you can go lower."

"Oh yeah? You trust me to take matters into my own hands?"

"If you'd like, sir."

"Oh yeah. I'd like, agent."

"Hmmm. Ah yes. I knew you were handy."

"Years of practice - on myself."

"Well I'm glad you saved the real thing for me, lover."

"Me too, Fox."

"Jesus, Walter. I love your touch."

"I love touching you - all over. It's a real turn on getting you up, though, baby."

"God, no kidding. Oh man..."

"You ok? Tell me what you want..."

"Round the tip. Yeah, that's right. A little softer though...I...this is such a turn on."

"Like this, over the whole glans?"

"Shit, yeah, that feels good."

"You're wet for me already, baby."

"You know it."

"Tastes good."

"Man, you are such a tease...oh man...."

"And you're not? Look at that ass wiggling."

"You're complaining?"

"Does this feel like I'm complaining."

"Walter! God no!"

"Thought not."

"Ohhhhh. Oh....please..."

"Ok, hang on. I'm gonna slick you up a little, ok?"

"Natural slick."

"You got it. Pre-cum and spit, baby."

"Oh hell yeah. Oh, that's good."

"So nice and wet, baby. Wet, and so sweet."

"Jesus...you're making me so hot."

"Oh yeah, come on. Sweat for me, babe."

"You want me to get you hard too?"

"Can you? I can wait. You're...."

"I wanna. I can..."

"Ok, it's ok, sure. Do me."

"Tell me if it's good."

"Take it from...yeah...all of it."

"This ok?"

"Harder."

"OK?"

"Yeah. Keep that...oh yeah, that's it."

"Walter...sorry, you're... right. I'm not sure...I...can..."

"How about no hands here, lover?"

"Oh God...."

"Tell me..."

"God. I...Oh shit...Walter. Yeah, come up here. I..."

"You want me on top?"

"I wanna feel all of you. Over me. Hold me, ok? I wanna feel your skin."

"This good? I'm not crushing you am I?"

"No, s'wonderful. I love this weight. It...you're so hard. I..."

"You want my..."

"Yeah, your cock, right there. Um...you want me to move like this?"

"Yeah, I...lover...just...keep moving like that..."

"Is that good for you too?"

"Fox, it's more than good."

"You're getting more verbal, Walter. I like it."

"And you're getting less talkative. I like that."

"You like that moaning, hey?"

"You know it...oh Lord. Can you..."

"Faster?"

"A little."

"How's this?"

"Yeah, lover."

"Harder?"

"You know me so well."

"Profiling. A thousand and one uses."

"Like duct tape."

"Duct tape? I don't wanna know."

"Yeah, later. Less talk, more fuckin'."

"Now who knows who so well?"

"Getting to know you..."

"Jesus, Walter don't sing. I'm gonna lose it here."

"That's the idea, baby."

"You asshole."

"Shut up and fuck, Fox."

"Ok. I know when to keep my mouth shut and my legs open.

"Oh yeah? Well, spread your legs a little more, babe."

"How's that?"

"Yeah, s'good. You're one hell of a fuck, you know that baby? So responsive - such a..."

"Slut?"

"You wanna be my slut? My boy?"

"I wanna be anything you want."

"Then be my...my equal, share this, lover. That's what I like."

"I like it when you're over me though, holding me like this. It's..I feel so..."

"I know Fox. I like it too. A lot. A whole lot."

"Can I? I mean, you want me to..."

"Yeah, wrap 'em round. I like that, baby."

"Walter...I...love holding you this way."

"Yeah. Jesus, that feels...man...just wonderful."

"For me too."

"So good. Christ you're...God, can you move."

"Flexible?"

"You know it. No shit."

"How's this?"

"Oh man..."

"Oh yeah, I love the way you get it up for me. I can feel every inch Walter."

"It's all for you baby. All for..."

"Jesus! I...I'm not...I...can't last. It's...Ohhhhh."

 

"That's it baby, come on, do it. You're beautiful. Beautiful."

"Oh God...."

"Let it go, Fox. I wanna feel it."

"Uh, yeah, Oh, ohhhh...."

"Let it on out, babe. Christ that's fuckin' fine. You're almost there, lover."

"Fuck....oh fuck....I...oh fff..."

"Oh yeah you're fuckin' me baby. You're doing me too."

"Uhhhhh...Oh...."

"Doing me so good."

"OH GODDDD!"

"Babe, oh yeah, that's the way. So, hot, slick. Good. So good."

"Ohhhh....Ohhh....uhhhhhh."

"So sweet. I've got you. Do it. I love you, Fox."

"I'm ssssorry, sorry, Walter...I'm so sorry....I...I'm..."

"S'ok. Keep moving...Don't...oh Christ yeah...Fox...I...I have to..."

"Shhh, just go with it...as hard as you need it. God, I love you Walter."

"I....uhhhhhh..."

 

"I know big man...almost there. S'ok, s'good. Feels so good..."

"Uhhhh, fuck...CHRIST!"

"Oh yeah, there you go, that's it. Oh man...Oh yeah."

xXx

JOURNAL OF FOX MULDER

Thursday, April 1, 1999

April Fools. And I'm the biggest one of all. How could I have missed what was going to happen? I should have seen this coming down. Should have heard the rolling bureaucratic thunder, seen the corporate lightening. I should have sensed the wafting ozone created by the gears in the heads of pencil necked suits. Should have felt the trembling of the earth under many tapping impatient heels. Shit, at least I should have smelled...the smoke.

Scully and I have been shut down. The X-Files are officially kaput - closed - circular filed with extreme prejudice as they say in the realm of assassins.

The Attorney General of the United States and the FBI brass jointly decided on March 1 (beware the Ides of March for crying out loud), that my efforts to reconstruct the incinerated X-Files using state of the art techniques was a total waste of time. A squandering of two valuable agents who could better be used elsewhere. A waste of prime basement storage space - and worst of all - a waste of the tax payers money.

And how did they get this idea lodged in their heads? Well, remember what Jerkwad Suspender hissed at me after our little tiff in that hotel stairway on Halloween? Yeah, well he made sure the fight wasn't over until he had the ultimate victory. As Scully would say - the little weasel. I'd say rat bastard but that pejorative is already in use - unfortunately.

Spender saw to it that everyone who would listen knew how difficult the file reconstruction was proving to be for me and Scully. He let it be known how much time we were spending in the lab since our last case, and not in the field. Never mind that Walter non too subtly reminded our so called superiors that we had been in the field almost constantly since Antarctica. Never mind that he reminded them I was wounded on that last VCS case and that light duty in the lab with Scully wasn't a bad idea under the circumstances following my medical leave of absence. None of it made any difference. Spender and the snakes he reports too had the collective ears of our superiors. They were listening and listening well.

Spender brayed loud and long about how Scully and I had been in the field - but not on many X-Files. We'd been loaned out more and more to VCS and every other FBI department you could name with the exception of possibly *Building and Maintenance*. So why work on the X-Files when there wasn't that much left to investigate? His incessant whining on that point was backed up by the fact that those loan directives had come down from Mr. Louis Freeh himself a lot of the time. Walter had no choice in the matter - it was his lot to grit his teeth, say yes sir and then...Mulder, Scully - sic 'em. And we always got our man. That was the problem. We're good. The FBI and the Attorney General like good. So Scully and I got it in the end. And it hurt like a son of a bitch.

We had an OPR hearing this morning. The decision to sever us from the X-Files came down this afternoon. I thought maybe with Jana Cassidy out of the picture we might have a fighting chance. She flew the coop at the end of February for that security job in Los Angeles. But her replacement - the wicked witch of the East - AD Maslin, needs a second house dropped on her. Crap, what a pit bull. She grabbed hold, locked her jaws and wouldn't let go of us until she ground down to the bone.

Walter tried to stop it. He really did. He sat on that OPR board and bucked them all until he couldn't make any headway. In the end he voted with them. What could he do? It hurt to think he made it unanimous but I could understand why. We still need someone on the inside even though it will be difficult for him to help us. His voting against would have tipped his hand even more than he'd taken a chance at tipping it already. It's better if he lays low and works from behind the scenes.

He was suspended for three days without pay for a loud, verbal altercation he had with AD Kersh in the hallway afterwards. We were re-assigned to Kersh you see. Walter took exception to Kersh's announcement that he would whip us into shape or see us broken and given the boot out the door. Well, not exactly in those words but Walter got the message. So did Kersh. And Walter's taking a forced vacation. Freeh isn't really calling it a suspension. He told Walter to take three days off to think over his actions. To Freeh's credit - Kersh got the same.

But, the other shoe dropped and it became apparent that the little vacation isn't going to be the only pain in the gut. When he returns, Walter has been ordered to have no contact with us. Since he's no longer our boss there is no reason for him to...support us in any manner whatsoever. In other words - someone (Gee, guess fucking who) doesn't want us to have any help on the inside any longer. In the smoking bastard's plans and the plans of the rest of the Godforsaken Consortium - we're to be hung out to dry. In their eyes we'll be broken and bereft without any help and without the X-Files. Yeah, well guess again dirt bags.

Scully and I won't be giving up and neither will Walter Skinner. Dana Scully and I are reinvested with the faith to go on in the quest. Scully stands strong, brave and defiant. She's my anchor. I'll kill anyone who tries to separate us again. Walter is the rock for us both. He's on our side and won't leave us swinging in the wind. He promised me he'd never betray us. He's a man of his word. No matter how hard it is for the three of us to work together, and be compatriots and friends together - no one, least of all Old Smokey and his hellspawn of a son, will stop us. And I'll see them both in hell before they keep Walter and I apart. I love Walter Skinner too much to let that happen. I know he feels the same. The black hearted sons of bitches who think they are pulling the strings are in for a surprise. To quote the lyrics of one of my favorite Judas Priest songs "You've Got Another Thing Comin'".

xXx

April 15, 1999. Johnson Creek, Wisconsin. High Noon CST.

"Scully, can you hold up? I've got cow shit on my shoe."

"Oh. Ok. Sorry, Mulder."

Scully stares at me while I bend down and, using a stick, scrape the wad of cow crap off my heel. Bloody hell. Wisconsin cows. How do I not love thee and let me not count the ways.

"So where are we?" I ask, tossing the stick as far as I can throw it.

"The residence of Clement J. Obradovich. Dairy farmer. Purchaser of mass quantities of fertilizer."

"Mass quantities, Primat?"

"Yes, Belzar, and since he isn't from France..."

"Hey, we haven't seen him yet. He could be a Conehead..."

Scully sighs heavily. As much as we'd like to continue this distracting glib, repartee, the sad matter at hand is that we have to make our way up the rain soaked and mud encrusted dirt driveway to old Clement's door. She gets serious.

"Well, Conehead or not - he has purchased an inordinate amount of the right type of chemical fert...

"Right. And one wonders why since he's practically buried in it." I wrinkle my nose and take in the many contented cows grazing in the field next to Clem's driveway.

"Exactly. So, why would he buy practically a ton of it?"

"To make a bomb?"

"I knew there was a reason they pay you the big bucks Mulder."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, let's get this over with, Agent Scully. Come on." I shrug. We leave the side of our rental Ford and pick our way up the water logged drive and across the muddy farm yard to the door of the white clapboard farmhouse.

We stand together outside the front door as we've stood outside so many other front doors in the past. We glance at each other and Scully indicates that I may do the honors. I knock and we both wait expectantly for the answer.

Presently, the inside door creaks open behind the outer screen door and we're greeted by a middle aged, tall, thin individual blinking in the afternoon light.

"Mr. Clement J. Obradovich?" Scully asks.

"Yes?" the grizzled farmer queries carefully.

Scully takes out her ID and flips it open. Clem zeroes in on her hand as she begins the familiar drill.

"I'm Agent Dana Scully of the FBI and this is..."

...As far as she gets. Clement J. Obradovich turns on a dime and rabbits through the house towards the back door faster than you can say *Energizer Bunny*.

"Fuck!" I blurt, yanking the door open to give chase, gun drawn. It slams back as I pick up speed after the rapidly retreating Wisconsin farmer. I figure my longer legs will help me to overtake the guy. He's tall and lanky but I'm taller and no slouch in the 100 yard dash department.

"Stop, Federal Agent!" I bellow. Old Clem doesn't even glance over his shoulder.

Scully leaves the porch at a dead run. She's heading around the side of the house to the back door. We know what the other is going to do without telegraphing our intentions to the perp. I know if she can make it in time, she'll try to be waiting, gun drawn on this idiot.

Mr. Obradovich smacks hard into a small table in the back hallway of his house, slowing down his head long rush slightly. I'm almost on him but in a sudden burst of desperate speed he slams out the back door and is met with a mud spattered and irate Dana K. Scully.

"Federal Agent! Stop and put your hands in the air! I'm armed and I won't hesitate to shoot."

Just as she yells her order, I plow into Clement's back and we both go down in a wet, dirty heap. Somehow I manage to keep my gun in my hand for once. Thank God for small favors.

"I'm federal agent Fox Mulder! FBI, buddy! Lie still or I'll break your damn arm," I hiss out as the farmer grunts and twists under me. Mud...and other odiferous farm offal successfully coats both of us so that we look like a couple of

Tootsie Rolls. Hell. This coat's toast and as for my suit - good night Irene. I'm really pissed now. I slam Mr. Obradovich's head down into the ground once, hard.

"Look, Clem. This is hurting you a lot more than it's hurting me. Give it up, all right!?" I growl, getting the cuffs around his wrist with my free hand. I holster my weapon quickly and wrench the cuffs around the other wrist.

Scully stands by, gun trained on the perp, waiting patiently with raised eyebrows while we struggle. Finally Obradovich gets the idea that I just may be serious and the energy goes out of his body in one mighty *oomph*. He allows me to snap the cuffs then, and I haul the sullen dairy farmer to his encrusted feet.

"You didn't have to crack my skull," he grumbles.

"Yeah, right," I wheeze. I think I bruised a rib in the struggle. Or maybe it's just my recent wound kicking up. Either way - I'm going to need a soak in the tub tonight back at the Holiday Inn Express in Johnson Creek. Balls.

"Mr. Obradovich, I would advise you that you are in deep trouble, sir. Shall I read him his rights, Agent Mulder?" Scully asks reholstering her weapon. I'm so out of breath I probably couldn't get through the Miranda at this point. I nod, grateful.

"What are you accusing me of doing?" Obradovich interrupts.

"What did you do? You resisted arrest for starters," I answer incredulously. What the fuck.

"Sir, you are under suspicion of purchasing large quantities of fertilizer similar to the type used in the Oklahoma City bombing..."

"Fertilizer?"

"Yes."

"You mean you aren't here about my taxes?"

Scully and I stare at each other and then we both focus on Obradovich, eyebrows raised high. He stares back with a look of puzzlement and defiance warring on his face. When neither one of us have an answer he finally grates out in a wavering voice.

"I thought you were coming to get me because I haven't paid my federal income tax in 7 years. I panicked and ran. So, fuck you."

Fuck us indeed. For Christ sake. I turn him around towards his back door, none too gently, and push him forward.

"Sir, I need to advise you not to say anything further before we've read you your rights." Scully hastens to advise the grumbling farmer as I push him ahead of me.

"What do I care. I'm up shits creek without a paddle here."

"Interesting choice of words, Mr. Obradovich," I agree in disgust. "And I think you owe us a couple of towels and a more detailed explanation, anyway."

"That makes three of us," he snarls as we walk up the steps and onto the back porch, muddy footprints stretching behind in our wake.

xXx

The Holiday Inn Express, Hwy 26, Johnson Creek, Wisconsin

8 PM CST.

I'm lying on the bed, in my room, staring at the ceiling. My rib still aches but the pain isn't as bad as it was before my hot bath. The TV is on in the background. The SciFi Channel. An old Star Trek rerun. I'm not really watching. I feel...adrift. Temporarily disconnected. I touch the bottom of my rib cage gently. The slight pain brings me back into focus just enough to feel annoyance. I purse my lips, going with the mood. It's better then this numb, lassitude.

I still can't believe some records geek goofed that lead on Obradovich. Clement J. Obradovich, diary farmer, never purchased a single grain of fertilizer. His cousin, Clement A. Obradovich, soybean, corn and hay farmer, however did. Mr. Obradovich A. lives in Dodge County. Mr. Obradovich J lives in Jefferson County. Mr. Obradovich A., law abiding citizen with mucho planted acres has more than a legitimate need for the artificial cow shit. Mr. Obradovich J., tax dodger is in deep shit. We turned him into the IRS and he was yanked in on tax evasion charges later that very afternoon.

Scully and I could do nothing but drag our sorry mud stained asses back to the hotel to get cleaned up. Both of us were sore, dog tired and defeated even though we had told ourselves we wouldn't let that happen. Shit. It's damned hard when you've done nothing but count bags of fake cow crap and interrogate hapless John Q. Publics for weeks on end. I'm royally sick of it and so is Scully. But at least we have each other on the road. If she wasn't here I'd really go stark, raving mad.

She volunteered to go over to the Perkins that's planted right in front of the hotel to pick up our dinner order. We're staying in tonight. Neither one of us feels much like company. Except each others. As I muse dismally, a knock sounds softly on my door. I get up, cross the room, and look through the peep hole. Scully waves at me from outside, take out bags in hand. I smile, throw back the locks, open the door and usher her inside.

"Nice look for you," she chuckles at my white t-shirt shirt and Holstein cow imprint boxer briefs.

"Little did I know how appropriate these would be," I grin half-heartedly gesturing at my shorts.

"No shit."

"You mean cow sh..."

"Please. Skip it, Mulder. I want to have some appetite left," she smiles wanly. I search out the jeans I brought along and drag them on. Lucky I have them since my dress pants were muddy to the max. Scully pulls off her trench coat and hangs it up next to my garment bag in the small alcove off the bathroom. It looks like she managed to get the mud off it. Lucky those trenches are water proof and stain resistant. Even so, mine is still going to need dry cleaning at some point. Shit.

Scully's dressed in jeans and a light sweater this evening having changed out of her FBI daywear as well. Both of us opted for the tub soaks in our respective rooms after this afternoons debacle. Scully seems to have benefited from hers. She looks marginally more relaxed then she did earlier.

We both pull up a chair each at the table under the window, sit down and unpack the food. I empty the first bag, the one with the coffees in it. Scully takes the second bag and roots around for the Styrofoam boxes inside.

"What's it like out?" I ask, making desultory conversation. I lift the closed curtain back an inch to peer outside into the darkened parking lot.

"The rain's seems to have made itself scarce, thank God. I risked not taking my umbrella to the restaurant. Now if it will only stay clear."

"The early news said it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow."

"Good," she nods matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, I've sacrificed my last suit to the manure God," I grouch running a hand over my face. I guess it's lucky we're going back to DC tomorrow otherwise I'd have to find a dry cleaner. I still can't believe I forgot to pack a third suit. I should have known better. This is spring in the Wisconsin farmlands after all. Crap. Too much on my mind. Scully chuckles a bit at the lame joke and I smile more broadly in spite of my discomfiture. She still looks a little tired but so...I don't know - so sweet this evening. It's great to be in her company.

"Cheeseburger," she says, proffering a Styrofoam container my way, "and fries."

"Right, thanks," I smile gathering my food close.

She pulls out her soup and salad and both of us tuck into the repast as best as our suppressed appetites will allow. We don't converse much after we start eating. We just chew and sip in companionable silence. All too soon the food is gone and we have to face the idea that we should call it a night - in our separate rooms.

Scully and I haven't been together as lovers since the show and blow incident with Walter on Halloween. I still have pangs of guilt over the fact that she walked in on us and I handled the issue so abysmally. I'm eternally grateful that she even deigned to patch it up with us both. I miss her in my bed but I'd miss her a hell of a lot more if she were out of my life altogether.

But the fact that we aren't having sex can be a bit...well it's difficult on the road. We used to have some of our hottest moments in motels across America. Oh mama, did we ever. And now that we're on the road again it's just dredging up those fond, frenetic memories.

But I'm respecting her wishes not to resume our sexual relationship until she's ready. I more than understand her reasons and I don't disagree with her at all. It's just not easy because I love her so much and sharing pleasure with her was something that - ok, yeah, it wasn't just the sex - it helped beat back the loneliness you know. I'm sorry to be so weak sometimes. I need to work on it I guess. But God, I am just so lonely and horny.

The fact that I haven't been with Scully is exacerbated by the fact that I haven't been with Walter very much at all either, of course. The prohibition against us having any dealings with him has successfully made it almost impossible for me to even get a glimpse of him at work. Outside of work hasn't been any better. Oh, we've had a few clandestine meetings at our own cheap motels on the road. God, it's been tawdry. Sneaking around. I'm more accustomed to the Motel 6 venue but I think Walter is having a prissy fit over it. Renting a room by the hour is just not my man's style.

So, we've all been living a life of semi-enforced celibate loneliness. I'm back to the videos and Mr. Hand. I know Walter hates it, but he's doing the same. I wonder if Scully is getting reacquainted with Ms. Hand or Mr. Everready as well. Christ. I'd better not start thinking about that possibility right now. But, this has got to end one of these days. I'm gonna go blind and grow hair on my palms for sure if it doesn't. And my heart is breaking, my soul aching, from the damn loneliness. God help me. God help us all.

"Well, I'd better turn in," Scully yawns behind her right hand, rising with her discarded Styrofoam in the other. She heads over to the trash can near the rooms door and tosses in the containers.

"Oh. Uh, listen - you don't have to go yet. There's an Abbott and Costello film on AMC at 10 PM."

 

"Oh Mulder... I'm kind of beat."

"Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein."

"Really?"

"Yup."

"I've never seen that one."

She rolls her eyes. I know she'll stay and watch it with me. She's an Abbott and Costello fan too. This film is one of my favorites. I knows she's gonna love it. Besides, my hands are suddenly starting to shake a little. I...I just can't face another night totally alone. I don't give a shit about the sex. I just need to hear someone else breathing nearby - someone real and not on TV.

"Come on, you know you'll like it."

"Ok, I'll stay," she smiles.

We tidy up the rest of the litter from our meals. The half drained coffee cups get dumped into the bathroom sink before we discard them. Scully makes a quick trip to her room to brush her teeth. I decide to brush mine as well. That will save time in case I fall asleep. I just may. I'm pretty beat too. But, as I said - I didn't want to be alone tonight. Not at all. And I don't think Scully really did either. If I fall asleep maybe she will too - maybe we can just keep each other warm tonight.

When she returns, I offer her the bed but she opts for seating on the floor at the foot. She uses the bed's end as a back rest. I lay down on my stomach, full length, my head next to her shoulder so we can talk a little during the movie. I'm holding a pillow under my arms. I give her the remote and she turns on the TV and switches to AMC. The movie starts and we're chuckling together fairly quickly. I was right - she's really enjoying it.

But despite the pillow and the convivial distractions, I still can't get comfortable. Blast this rib. I'm just thinking about getting up for some Tylenol when Scully breaks into my thoughts.

"What's the matter?"

"What?"

"You haven't stopped wiggling around up there since the movie started. Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm really sorry. I think my rib is just sore from tackling Mr. Tax Evader this afternoon. I'm gonna get some Tylenol."

"I was afraid of that, Mulder. Would you like me to examine you?" she offers. She gets up and sits next to me on the bed.

"No, you don't have to bother," I shake my head. Looking into her intense blue eyes is suddenly telling me that having her touch me might be a bad idea. I sit up and move to get off the bed. It's time for the Tylenol. Most definitely.

"It's not a bother. I don't mind."

I stop on my route to the bathroom and the shaving kit that holds the Tylenol. Glancing back I sigh.

"Well...I might mind."

She stares at me and then what I'm getting at dawns on her.

"Oh."

"Yeah. Look Scully..." I begin, returning to sit next to her on the bed, "I...I'm sorry. I can't help the way I feel about you. If you start putting your hands all over me it's only going to make it worse."

"I'm the one who should be sorry Mulder. I didn't think."

"Well, it's ok. And I asked for it anyway when I invited you to stay in here. I...oh hell."

She looks down at her hands.

"Well I accepted didn't I?"

I study her carefully. She senses my scrutiny and looks up.

"Scully, I'm tired of sleeping alone." I whisper.

She lets out a shuddering sigh and touches my hand lightly.

"I guess I am too," she replies.

I draw her close and hug her tight.

"Can you stay? I swear to God I won't...I mean we can just sleep. I just need to feel you next to me tonight - ok?" I nuzzle the words into her hair. I feel the warm weight of her in my arms. It feels so right.

"I'd like to stay, Mulder," she whispers, looking up into my face.

"You want to go to sleep then? We can always rent the video," I grin and gesture towards the TV.

"Yeah, it's a great comedy, but I'm dead on my feet," she smiles back.

I reach for the remote and turn off the TV.

"Ok. Hey, you can borrow one of my t-shirts if you'd like. There's a couple of clean ones in my garment bag,"

"Ok, great, Mulder. But I need to go back to my room for..."

"There's a complimentary toothbrush and uh, other stuff in the can - for in the morning," I offer.

She laughs, "Well then I guess I *am* all set. Thanks."

"No problem. I'm gonna get that Tylenol," I advise getting up to go in the can. I'll stay in there a bit to give her some privacy while she changes.

As I shut the door she says, "When you come out I still want to check that rib."

I smile, "Ok. Doc. I'll grin and bare it."

I hear her chuckling as I get the Tylenol and down it with a glass of water. I decide to take a piss as well. While I'm at the old watering hole letting my overworked mind wander, I hear a cell phone ring outside the door. Scully answers it.

"Dana Scully."

She's silent for just a split second.

"Yes, sir."

"Sir?" Christ! Is it Kersh? Can't he leave us the hell alone? We're going back to DC tomorrow, for God's sake. I hurry to finish my piss so I can get into the other room and bail Scully out if necessary. I shake off, rearrange, zip up and wash my hands in record time. Pulling the door open I'm greeted by Scully wearing one of my t-shirts and a pair of my boxers, the ones with Marvin the Martian on them. She's sitting on the bed, her cell phone in hand, and now she's smiling a little.

"Oh. I see. Sorry Walter. Yes...uh, he's right here," she proffers the cell phone towards me, the mute button depressed with her index finger.

"It's the other half. I thought he was at the office at first. But he's at home," she advises.

I arch an eyebrow. I wonder why the hell he's calling on Scully's number. I take the phone and depress the mute button.

"Walter?" I reply. I can't keep the longing out of my voice at all. Scully gets up off the bed, and ever the polite and respectful partner, takes this opportunity to use the bathroom.

"Fox," his deep voice comes across the miles, "how's it going?"

"You don't want to know," I chuckle, "but suffice it to say I've seen enough cow shit to last me a lifetime."

"Yeah, I can imagine," he sighs.

"Say, why did you call on Scully's cell, big guy?"

"Precautions. I figured she'd be fast enough on her feet to act like I was in the office."

"Oh thanks for having such confidence in me," I answer sarcastically.

"I'm just kidding you moron. I called yours first."

"Oh yeah? Fuck. It must need recharging."

"Yeah, well consider this a reminder to plug it in, monster boy."

"Oh, lover. Could I give you a retort for that one," I laugh.

I can hear Walter laughing on the other end of the phone. God I miss him. I miss feeling that rumbling laughter against my skin so much.

"I miss you," I whisper.

"Miss you too. I know this stinks, Fox. But look. When you get back I...I have some plans that may help."

"Yeah, what?"

"Well it doesn't have to do with the job but...you remember my offer to help Dennis and Phil re-roof their house?"

"Right."

"Well they've decided to wait until next year to do the roof."

"So?" I prompt. God get to the point Walter I think. He's usually a lot more concise. But I sense teasing in his voice so I'm not going to get exasperated at him. He's got something going on here. I just have to be patient.

"They want to build a small deck off the back of the house instead. I think we've arranged to build it during a week or so over the Memorial Day holiday."

"And I'm helping?" I ask hopefully.

"You got it, babe. If you can arrange the vacation time, we'll head up to Crossroads, Norm, and play *This Old House*."

I crack up then. Oh yeah. I would have played Fox on a hot tin roof if it would get me a week with Walter in Crossroads again.

"Great Bob. Sounds like my kind of plan," I enthuse, excitement in my voice.

"There's a second part to the plan," he adds, boyish pleasure in his voice.

"Second part?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. Scully is invited if you two can swing it."

"Oh shit, really?" I blurt out in spite of my attempt at maintaining my cool G-man demeanor.

Walter is laughing again on the other end of the line. He's inordinately happy with his surprise and not bothering to let his surly AD persona cover up his emotions either.

"Oh yeah. Dennis told me that if we didn't invite her along he and Phil would drum us out of the corps."

"Corps?"

"We'd be excommunicated from the church."

"Oh, booted out of The Queer Nation?"

"Exactly. They're dying to meet her."

"Well, I'll talk to her, by all means," I smile.

"Very good, agent."

"Yes, sir, this should be a first class operation."

"Yeah, it'll be a good time," Walter answers. I can hear the pleasure in every understated syllable of his reply.

He's quiet for a moment and then he clears his throat.

"So..." he begins.

"Yeah?" I ask raising an eyebrow at his hesitation.

"So, are you...are you staying with Scully this evening?" he asks quietly.

I shrug to myself, "Well actually she's in my room."

"Oh. Well...is that good news?" he asks with sympathetic hope.

I sigh. We've talked about this a couple of times. Walter knows Scully and I still aren't making love. We had to talk about it. There have been a couple of times when, well let's say it's affected my performance with Walter a little. At any rate, Walter was extremely understanding about those incidents. Compassionate. But he knows I miss Scully and need her. He's concerned for us both really. I appreciate his kind understanding and support.

"Sort of. She's sleeping with me tonight. But...just sleeping. Uh, we're both kind of exhausted anyway for fun and games."

"Ah," he replies.

"Yeah, we couldn't even make it through *Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein* on AMC."

"Well, hell. You must be tired."

"Exactly."

"So, I'd better let you two get some sleep."

"I guess so. Night Walter. Thanks for calling, Main Man."

"You're welcome Fox. Say good night to Scully for me."

"Sure will."

"And Fox..."

"Yes, Walter?"

"She'll come round. Try to relax about it, ok?"

I sigh a little again and smile into the phone.

"Ok."

"All right then, babe."

"I love you, Walter."

"I love you too, Fox."

Click

I put the cell phone back down on the night stand next to my and Scully's Smith and Wesson's. Just as I'm shifting to sit up and remove my jeans, Scully comes out of the bathroom.

"Walter said to say good night," I grunt, pulling down my pants.

"He sounded good, Mulder," she offers in way of conversation.

I wince a little with my rib and before I can tell her about Walter's little surprise, she's talking again.

"Listen, sit down. I really do want to take a look at that rib."

"Ok, doc," I nod as I toss my jeans to the foot of the bed. I sit down obediently in my boxer briefs and t-shirt. She stands over me.

"Lie down, Mulder," she gestures, all business. Ok, good. Dealing with *Doctor Dana* will be a hell of a lot more easy then dealing with Dana Scully. I lie down and shift over a little so she can sit next to me.

"The Tylenol's starting to help," I comment as she starts to expertly and gently press against the area of my injury. She raises a skeptical eyebrow.

"You just took it."

"Yeah, well, my side does feel a little better. Maybe it's just your touch," I smirk at her.

"Mulder, I'm a little worried about this rib. Seriously. When we get back to DC I think you should have your doctor X-ray it again as a precaution. There may be a hairline fracture."

"Oh. Sure. I can do that," I nod, "but it really is feeling better. Especially now that I'm lying flat.

"Good. You're not having any pain when you breath are you?"

"Nope. Feels fine."

"Cough," she orders, and I do.

"Does that hurt?"

"Nope."

"OK," she smiles a little and pats my stomach lightly.

"So, do I pass, doc?"

"For now. But I meant that about the X-ray."

"Yes, dear," I smirk again.

She rolls her eyes and gets up to walk around the bed.

"I think some sleep will help you more than anything else right now," she says as she reaches the other side of the mattress.

I get up carefully and help her to pull the covers back. She climbs into bed and I make the rounds of the room turning off the main light switch. I crack the bathroom door just enough to leave a small sliver of light shining into the room. Finally I walk back over and climb in beside Scully. We both pull the covers up to our chins. She isn't touching me, which is fine. At least she's here. I reach over and turn off the night stand light on my side. She does the same on hers. The room is fairly dark. The bathroom light really doesn't totally reach the bed.

"Night, Scully," I sigh and lie flat. It really does feel better to lie on my back.

"Mulder?"

"Yeah?"

"You really miss him don't you?"

"A lot."

"I'm sorry, Mulder."

"What have you got to be sorry about? You're not the one responsible for this situation."

I feel her lever up to lie on her side. I turn my head to look at her. She's propped up on the pillows. As my eyes adjust a little I can just make out her face.

"I know, but I'm still sorry you can't be with him."

I sigh, "Yeah, it hasn't been easy."

"For what it's worth...I miss having him as a boss. God, I never thought I'd say it - but I even miss his growling at us," she shakes her head, a rueful smile in her voice.

I chuckle a little.

"Walter does have a plan for us to get together though. For when we get back."

"Oh yeah?" she replies, brightening a little.

It's nice to see she's more understanding about Walter and my relationship. I think in her own way she's beginning to be less afraid of our former boss. Maybe because he is our *former* boss. Whatever. I just think Walter is growing on her. I know she went out of her way to have dinner with him a couple of times since the OPR hearing. Her mom invited Walter to her house and then Dana just happened to show up. Margaret made an exit with Byers, Frohike and Langly for the evening. Don't ask. Let's just say the last few issues of The Lone Gunman have been a lot better in the editing department. So, Walter and Scully had a nice quiet dinner and I think they ironed out a few issues.

It makes me very happy that they're getting along. I grin slightly back at her. I can hardly wait to tell her she's invited up to Maine with Walter and me.

"Yeah. If I can work it out we're going up to Crossroads to help Dennis and Phil build a deck on the house."

"That's marvelous, Fox," she says quietly, "Really, I mean it."

"Well, when I said plan for us I meant, *us* Dana. You're invited too," I smile at her in the half-dark. She raises her eyebrows again with a quizzical look.

"*I'm* invited?"

"Dennis and Phil said if we didn't invite you they'd drum us out of the Queer Nation."

She laughs. "Well I guess I can't let you two become refugees..." she begins.

"Does that mean you'll come?"

"If we can convince Kersh we both need a vacation, yeah, I'd like to come. God knows I can use the time off after this stretch of utter shit. And you know, I'm not bad with a hammer," she smiles.

"Oh yeah, hammer down," I laugh, "and this will be over Memorial Day - a week or so in there. So, the vacation request should be a little more easy. I can handle it with Kersh, I think."

"I guess it's been lucky you've toed the line with our new boss," she smirks, sarcasm heavy in her tone. She looks down at the pillow.

"Pull the other one, Agent Scully!" I mock growl at her.

She laughs, "You must be taking lessons, Mulder. That was a pretty passable Walter."

"Yeah, well from now on I guess I'd better watch it," I nod.

Hell. But for now I guess I'll have too mind my Ps and Qs if I want that week away, I think grimly. But it ain't gonna last. No way, no how. I can't take this scutt work much longer. I'm gonna blow a gasket. Scully has the patience of a saint. Me? Well you know how I am.

"Yup, that's me. Kersh's fair-haired boy," I reply with a cheesy grin, "so, Bobette Villa. You in the mood for some decking?"

"Only if I can deck Kersh," she giggles. I bark a quick laugh.

"You'll have to take a number," I add.

"No kidding. But yeah. It's a decking date," she nods again.

I nod back. We stare at each other for a moment.

"Thanks, Dana," I finally whisper.

"You're welcome, Fox," she smiles gently. I lie down flat again and this time she shifts a little closer and lies on her side next to me. She rests her hand on my arm.

"Good night, red," I breath out easily. I'm really drowsy now. The day is definitely catching up with me. I'm glad because the fatigue is beating back any rampant lust brought on by Scully's warm hand touching my bicep.

"Mulder?" she asks in a sleepy voice.

"Hmmm?"

"Uh, not tonight but..."

"Yeah?"

"But after we get back I think...well I think I'm ready for us to be together again," she replies in a very quiet voice.

"as lovers?"

"Yeah. Providing you don't have a cracked rib," she giggles a little again. I chuckle in return. Profound relief courses through my entire body. A huge, sleepy, goofy grin plasters itself over my face.

"I'll get that X-ray tomorrow," I reply with joy. I stretch out my arm and she lifts her head up slightly so I can hold her more close.

"I've missed you," I say, kissing her hair.

She sighs.

"I know. I've...I've missed this."

"God, me too."

"Good night, G-man," she sighs. I can feel her breathing becoming more regular. She's falling asleep.

"Good night, G-Woman," I reply as I feel sleep claim me at last as well.

xXx

Friday, April 23, 1999. 7 PM. A warehouse somewhere in Washington DC.

"Well, I suppose this is better than Motel 6, " Walter sighs as I ring the buzzer next to the warehouse door.

I smile and wave up into the camera that's bolted above the entrance. Walter is not happy with the situation at all. He looks stiff and uncomfortable. Embarrassed as hell. He's trying to blend into the buildings brick wall. Oh hell. But what the fuck can we do? I just think it's lucky we're able to get together at all now. Yeah, so this isn't the ideal love nest. Ok. Shoot me. I ring the buzzer again. Damn it guys...

"Open the fuck up," Walter grouches under his breath.

"Hold your water, Mr. AD," a tinny voice from thin air complains. Langly. Oh wonderful. They're *all* still here?

"Ringo, show some class. Hang on a sec, Mulder," Frohike's electronically distorted voice interrupts. The door clicks once and I quickly reach forward to open it.

Langly and Frohike are standing there just inside the door. Byers comes forward. All of them have their coats on. Thank God. At least they're ready to leave.

Langly is grumbling about Frohike's remark. He's still distrustful of Walter. I suppose he has his reasons, but it's annoying. Walter is willing to look the other way over the almost perpetual cloud of pot smoke that surrounds the long-haired Lone Gunman. I don't see why Langly can't cut him *some* slack.

Frohike and Byers are fine with Walter. Frohike especially has taken a shine to my man Skinner. He was the one that came up with the idea to loan us the LGM headquarters for the night. So the place is a pit. It's at least electronically bug free and the fridge has beer. If all goes well, Walter and I probably aren't going to notice the decor anyway.

"So..." Byers begins.

"We're off..." Frohike finishes for him.

Langly in a rare moment of generosity adds, "You guys have dinner yet?"

"Yeah. We grabbed a bite on the way," I answer.

"Oh. Well if you get hungry later there's some leftover pizza in the fridge."

"Thank you," Walter nods. He moves back a bit so he's not looming over the three shorter men. He looks like he's trying to blend into the wood work now. Cripes. The LGM start to leave.

"Listen, guys. I...I really appreciate this," I hasten to tell them as Byers is checking to make sure he has his wallet.

"*We* appreciate it," Walter adds sincerely, clearing his throat. That's my main man.

"Hey, don't mention it. We're more than happy to promote good inter-departmental relations at the Bureau," Frohike grins and punches Walter on the bicep.

"Not to mention better morale," Byers grins a little.

The look on Walter's face is priceless. He looks like he's sucking a lemon. He does manage to speak and the growl in his voice is almost passable.

"Good night, gentleman. Enjoy the film festival."

"Thanks, I'm sure we'll *all* enjoy ourselves," Langly chimes in, laughing at Walter's pained expression over the double entendre.

Frohike opens the door and Byers and Langly proceed him out into the alley.

"Hey, before I forget. Uh...I'll call before we come home. It'll be pretty late though so...if you want to stay over....the extra bedroom is yours," Frohike offers quietly

"Great. Thanks again, Frohike," I give him a slap on the back and he grins wide. The guy really is a prince. A good friend.

"We'll replace the beer we drink," Walter adds with a quick business like nod.

"Sounds good. Ok. We're outta here," Frohike nods in return and then he exits, shutting the metal door behind him.

I can almost feel Walter's shoulders sag behind me.

"Christ on a crutch, Mulder. I'm never gonna live this down."

"Yeah, well you're not the one who's gonna have to repay them with an endless supply of movie tickets. I'm gonna have to ask Kersh for a raise to keep myself from starving to death."

"Ok. Ok. I guess I shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth," he grumbles glancing around. He takes off his trench.

"I don't suppose there's a chance these guys use hangers much less have a coat closet?"

"Well they do have a coat tree - it's over there," I point off into a dark corner. Walter extends his hand and motions for me to remove my trench as well. I do and hand it too him. He turns and stalks off in the direction I indicated.

"You want a beer?" I call after him. A grunt answers me. I'm not sure if that's a yes or a no. I shrug and head for the fridge.

Contrary to popular belief - Frohike keeps a clean kitchen. The fridge is spotless inside and there are no dirty dishes in the sink. Unlike, Chez Mulder - he even has matching plates and utensils. Nothing fancy but they all look alike. I pull a couple of Miller Lites out of the fridge and head back out into the main room. Walter is standing there, still tense, looking around like a constipated Queen. I sigh and hand him the beer.

"Here you go. Bottoms up," I quip, eyebrow arching. I pull the tab on my can and take a hearty swig as I'm rewarded with his first small grin since we got here.

"So, you want to play some computer games? Read the latest issue of the Lone Gunman?" I ask, gesturing around the room.

"Please, spare me the rag sheet. But, if they have *Duke Nuke 'em* I'm your man," he replies seriously looking around again at the various PCs that are scattered all over the room.

I stare at him dumbfounded. What the hell? I mean I came here to make love not war. What the fuck does he want? I wasn't serious about playing some damn computer...Walter is laughing at me. Oh shit. You know, the guy should play poker more. He could use the damn AD face to bluff your pants off...come to think of it...

"You thought I was serious didn't you?" he guffaws, "Well, consider that payback for dragging me into this hell hole."

"Oh, you go to hell," I giggle, "You're so desperate to get off you would have let me do you in the car on the way if you could have driven with your legs over my shoulders."

"Oh yeah, bottoms up boy? Well how 'bout I show you just how good a driver I really am? Where's that extra bedroom the dwarf was talking about?"

Both of us leave the beers in the kitchen. We each make a detour to the bathroom before we hit the bedroom. The beers notwithstanding - it wasn't a short drive over here and both of us have been living on coffee lately.

Even with the small night stand lamp on, the bedroom isn't too bad, thank God. Frohike has matching sheets at least. Ok, the comforter has a Star Trek motif. You can't have everything. The bed isn't a King either, but it'll do. Walter and I help each other to undress. There's only one chair in the room so we fold our clothes and pile them up on the chair seat. Our guns and most of our other accessories go on top of the clothing. Our shoes go under the chair. I chuckle. Walter's ways are rubbing off on me I guess. Astroglide goes on the night stand, Walter's glasses go next to the lube. Reluctantly we put our cell phones next to Walter's glasses.

Both of us stand and gaze at each other for a couple of minutes. Walter advances and takes me gently into his arms. I shiver a little, but not from the cold. His warm touch is electric heat on my naked skin. I settle against him and nuzzle his neck.

"How's the rib?" he asks, caressing my side with tenderness.

"Still bruised a little. But the X-rays didn't show any crack. It'll heal."

"You sure it doesn't bother you?"

"Nope. It feels better every day. It feels fine right now." I pull back and grin at him.

He ruffles my hair and grins wolfishly, "Good," He rumbles and I kiss him briefly on the mouth.

Finally we lie down together under the covers, on our backs. Both of us are staring at the ceiling. The absurdity of the location and situation suddenly hits us. I start to chuckle and then laugh out loud. So does Walter. Soon, we're laughing helplessly together. We roll to face each other and I bury my face in his arm pit, giggling like hell.

"This is too much," he groans.

"Shit, I know. It's like high school. You know...when you and your girlfriend are trying to find a make-out spot?"

"Uh, I wouldn't know about that experience," he rumbles his laughter.

"Didn't you have a girlfriend in high school?"

"Nope. I was a big, shy, dumb jock in high school. Not to mention queer. No girlfriend. I didn't even have a boyfriend. I was really backward."

I pull away from him and look into his crinkled eyes.

"Really?"

"Yeah, really," he laughs, "it's ok. It was a long time ago. I give a shit."

He pulls me close and kisses me with gusto. Oh God, can he kiss. When he pulls away I'm smiling very wide.

"Well, you've got a boyfriend now, big man."

"Yeah," he sighs and just stares at me for a long moment. Then he looks down slightly and runs his hand over my chest, toying with my chest hair.

"What is it," I ask, trying to look up into his eyes.

"Nothing really. Forget it."

"Walter?"

"I...I just miss this, that's all," he replies quietly.

I lift his chin.

"I miss it too. You...you wanna talk about it?"

"No, it's all right. I'm managing to cope. How are you doing by the way? With Scully I mean?" he asks, his eyes soft with concern.

"We're lovers again," I reply simply, running my hand along the side of his face.

"Thank God," he breathes out, the last vestiges of tension leaving his face.

"Were you that worried?" I ask, somewhat amazed. God, I knew he cared but this...this is so touching.

"Well sure I was worried. I was worried for you both. You were half crazy without her and she's been..."

"A bitch on two wheels?"

"Hey, Mulder..." he begins, affronted for Scully.

"Ok. I'm just kidding. But I know what you mean. She hasn't been herself either. Walter...I think we just need each other in so many ways. We need you too big guy. This forced separation it's...well it isn't doing any of us a favor."

"I can't argue there."

"So, it was pretty bad while we were in Wisconsin?"

"If you can call having to deal with Spender's ladder climbing and that bullshit out in Colorado - yeah - it's been a bastard few weeks. I solved two birds with one stone though. I sent Spender to Colorado," he finishes with a bitter chuckle.

"A kidnapping wasn't it?"

"Yeah, some corporate big wig."

"But with X-File implications?"

"The guy's wife claims he was abducted by aliens. I think he ran off with his size 40 D cup blonde accountant. But, Spender'll find out I'm sure. The guy isn't a total incompetent after all. I think he can handle run of the mill domestic chicanery like this case."

I sigh.

"Mulder, it isn't an X-File. Take my word for it, ok? There are no more X-Files."

"For now..."

"Whatever. Look I know it stinks. The whole morass is like a fan. It blows and it sucks. Let's drop the discussion for now, all right. It...it's pointless."

I nod in agreement. I can't help but agree. There's nothing he can do about the situation. He can only try to do his best from behind the scenes. Getting Spender out of the picture for a while is a big help to my sanity that's for sure. The rest of the battle will come in due time. I know he's going to be there one way or another. I smile at him again and kiss him on the forehead.

"Ok. Let's stop talking shop. I just...I wanted to make sure you were ok at the office that's all. I..."

His face tightens slightly again.

"Mulder, I'm gonna have to do ok at the office. It's not like I'm not used to the bureaucratic bull shit and intrigue, anyway. It's not easy, but I'll get along. As for the rest...we just have to wait and see how the situation plays out."

I nod again.

"Good. Well...the vacation in Maine is really going to help."

"Oh yeah, no question. And Fox..."

"Yeah, Walter."

"I know you care. So do I. I appreciate it more than I can even tell you. This situation is beyond our control. We're going to have to make due with what we can get. We knew this kind of thing could have been a possibility anyway, you know. I don't think we should blame ourselves or...or let circumstances intrude on the few moments we do have together. I'm sorry, I don't mean to cut you off here. I'm not avoiding the issue. I just want to be with you tonight. That's just the way I feel about it."

I look into his face, at his distressed eyes and tight jaw. He's right. We don't need the forces that swirl around us here tonight in this bed. It's not fair to have them ruin even this, our devotion for each other. It's not fair to have the dark encroach on us even as we make love.

"Hold me," I whisper into Walter's deep brown eyes. The distress leaves them immediately and he pulls me close and hugs me hard. He murmurs silly little words of endearment. Things he says in bed, and nowhere else, because as he says - if I told you that now I'd have to kill you. Then we're kissing again. He tastes like sweet wine even though I know he was only drinking beer.

 

He's holding me so close I can feel the medallion I gave him pressing hard into my chest. It's a wonderful pressure. I reach down and start to stroke his cock. He moans against my mouth. Somehow we kick the covers off as we start to heat up. Now we can hear skin against skin, and skin against slick cotton sheets. Walter drapes one muscular leg over my thigh and runs it up and down seductively.

I pull back from the kiss and Walter's mouth latches onto my neck immediately. As it travels down to my collar bone and he begins to suck on my skin, I whisper in his ear.

"Let me get you hard, lover. I want you in me so bad," I mumble against him.

He stops sucking my flesh just long enough to speak.

"I wanna fuck you bad too."

"Oh God, yeah," I nuzzle his face and keep up my steady stroke on his cock. His leg's still over mine as he concentrates on what my hand is doing to his dick. I bring my hand down to the end and work my thumb and index finger around the glans, flicking and teasing the crown just the way he likes it.

I can feel the suction on my collar area increase. I know he's going to leave a mark. I don't care. I bring my free hand up and cup the back of his head, urging him forward, holding him against me firmly. I want him to mark me. It's a sign of our passion. It's a sign I belong to him.

"Ohhhhh," I moan. I'm distracted and my hand stills over his growing erection.

He stops for a second and replies, breathless, "You taste so good."

"I wanna taste you too," I groan, pumping his cock again.

"Oh yeah? Suck it then," he growls. Oh yes sir. I'm more than happy to oblige.

I shift up and he lets go of my neck, rolling over onto his back. He spreads his legs for me and without a moments hesitation I go down on him. His hips arch off the bed and he cries out.

"Fox!"

I work over his cock until he's writhing under me. He goes completely caveman on me at last. He begins to groan nonsense sounds with utter abandon. His eyes are shut and one fist clenches and unclenches on the bed. His other hand is tangled in my hair. Finally his monosyllabic grunts are punctuated with intelligent speech.

"Stop!" he shouts.

I knew he was close but I was so caught up in the moment I missed just how close I guess. As I start to shift up again it's obvious he's really struggling for control. He's breathing terribly hard.

"Fffox..." he stutters. Oh hell, maybe he was a little too close. I grab him quickly behind the glans and squeeze hard for a few seconds. After several short breathes, he relaxes.

"S'ok. I'm ok," he grins weakly at me. Walter's erection is at half mast now. We'll have to wait a while for further fun. But what the hell. I can get into some more body work, no problem. He looks down with a little frown though.

"Hey, it's all right. I can wait. Come here. Keep me warm," I say in my best husky voice. He chuckles and we move close and cuddle. Soon we're kissing again, and oh man is that ever bliss.

He laps where he left his mark before.

"Sorry about this babe," he whispers into my neck.

"I'm not. You've seen Scully's marks before. You know I don't mind."

"True. Still...this is kinda high up. Scully has better aim."

We both laugh at the allusion. The first time Walter found one of Scully's hickeys it was on the inside of my thigh.

He runs his hands down my chest and then down my stomach. I shift over onto my back as his mouth begins to follow his hands. He laves my nipples until I'm berserk with desire. I'm moaning and gasping. He reaches my cock and starts to lap and suck at it in turn. I hold onto his head as he takes me completely in. God I can't even begin to tell you how good this guy has gotten at giving head. He's almost as good as Scully, and she's a champ.

While Walter's lying between my thighs he's humping his own cock on the bed, getting himself up again. I close my eyes at the feeling of him doing himself and the vibrations it's causing to run through him and into me. It's an incredible feeling. The harsh breath blowing out of his nose wafts across my pubic hair. He releases my erection and moves up to lie over me, taking his weight on his elbows and forearms.

"Fuck me," I moan pulling my knees up so his hips can drop between my legs. He starts to rub his cock over mine. Man. I love this dance. I can feel my pre-cum now. I'm slick with it, and our sweat. My nuts are so cum heavy they feel like shot put balls.

Walter isn't dripping at all yet. He's not up completely. Close. Just a little more humping. God damn it feels so good. Before I realize what's happening, the wonderful pressure and slick heat take me higher and...oh Christ. I explode. I shoot my wad, screaming out in ecstasy. Streams of cum shoot up all over Walter's stomach.

"Ffffuck!" I cry out as Walter holds me in his arms.

"It's ok. Good. It's great baby," he croons. I'm thinking distantly that I didn't want to come yet. But it's too late, and Jesus it's beyond marvelous. I'm rigid against him and then twitching spastically as I ride it out. When I come back to my senses Walter's still holding me and stroking my hair.

"You looked beautiful," he says, kissing me gently on the cheek.

"I feel like a fucking 16 year old."

"Hey..." he ruffles my hair, "you know I like to see you come. That was hot."

"Well, I just wanted...I thought you'd enjoy it more if you were in me."

"Fox, I enjoy it when you get off no matter when it is, ok? Really. It's a huge turn on for me. I love you. I want to give you that pleasure."

I smile into his eyes. I can't imagine what he sees in me. I know Walter still thinks that about himself sometimes. How I can love him so much. But God, do you wonder why now? And he still thinks he's not worthy? Well, he doesn't have a thing to worry about. Ever.

"It is a pleasure, Walter. It was the best. Thank you," I smile and reaching up, pull his face to mine for another kiss. He starts to undulate against me again. I nuzzle into his neck.

"You still want me, baby?" he purrs into my ear.

"God yes. I want you to fuck me hard."

Finally I can feel his huge, heavy erect length and his balls tightening slightly. He's ready all right.

"Slick me up," I grate out. He stretches over and grabs the lube. Three fingers are in and out, over and over and I'm in heaven. I pull my legs back tight against my stomach and fuck his hand. God, I want him deep. He slicks up his cock and helps me to lift my legs up over his shoulders.

"I love you," I whisper as he pushes into me.

"Oh babe..." he moans, shutting his eyes. He looks so regal, powerful as he works his cock up my ass. He's always slow at first, careful not to hurt me because I'm still tight. His thick flesh filling me is a wonderful feeling though. Sure, it's a little painful at first, but the quick, searing pleasure more than chases away the hurt.

"You feel so good. Uhhhh, Walter," I groan as he pushes home up to his balls. He's breathing hard as he opens his eyes.

"I'm close. Jus' a sec...Christ. I feel like the fuckin' kid now," Walter barks out a quick laugh as he tries to hold still. I laugh as well and we bounce together for a second. Then we get very quiet because I can tell from the strain on his face, he's deadly serious. If he moves now he'll be gone.

The poor guy. Both of us are so starved for each other we can barely keep it up. Well in my case I couldn't at all. God. I needed this so much. I run my hands up and down his arms very lightly and murmur my love for him as he holds himself in check. I can feel him untense slightly and I know he's got enough control back to last long enough.

"You ok?" I ask quietly. He strokes my hand and smiles into my eyes.

"Yeah. You?"

"Fine," I sigh and close my eyes. He shifts slightly and holding onto my legs, pulls back and then thrusts into me.

"Better than fffine," I stutter and then he starts to move slowly and erotically against me. Oh God, he's gonna stretch it out as long as he can. I've died and gone to heaven. He angles each long, sure thrust up to hit my prostate and I'm getting hard again as he does it.

"Thats it baby. Get it up for me," he grunts.

Both of us are beyond words then. I'm arching my hips up to meet Walter's driving cock now. I want to take him in as deep as he can go. He's speeding up, his balls slapping up hard against my ass. Sweat springs out all over us again. When he reaches forward to crank me I take his hand and guide him in. Two swift, rough strokes of his large hand and I come again - howling like a wolf. Somewhere in the exquisite white-out in back of my eyes I can hear Walter's gasp as he comes after me. I feel him rocking against me, pumping hard to wring out every last bit of his orgasm. When I see his face at last, his head is thrown back and his mouth open in a silent scream. Finally he falls forward against me and the air reenters his lungs in an incoherent exclamation of exultation. He's trembling, flushed, and wet and it's a joyous sight to behold. I reach up and touch his hands where they hold my legs. He falls sideways, almost in slow motion. We lie there breathing hard, smiling and silent for several moments. He pulls out and helps us both to untangle. He checks me over for damage. When he sees there is none, Walter draws me close and kisses my hair.

"Lover, that was beyond the best," he says, nuzzling against me.

"Way beyond," I add, almost sobbing.

We shift, pulling the covers back up around us. Walter lies back. I put my head on his chest and he wraps one strong arm around my shoulder. We snuggle up close and Walter yawns a little.

"You wanna sleep big guy?" I ask into his chest hair.

"Yeah, but I should clean us up."

"Oh. Hey. Let me," I volunteer crawling out of the bed.

I make a hasty trip to the bathroom and dampen up a washcloth with warm water. I snag a towel as well. I come back in and Walter and I do the wipe and dry off bit standing at the side of the bed. I drape the towel and wash cloth over the chair back. We look at the sheets for a moment. They don't look too bad really.

"You want to change..." I begin.

"No. I guess it can wait." Walter shrugs

We climb back under the covers and lie face to face once more.

"So, you wanna snooze?" I ask Walter again.

"Yeah. I'd like to sleep for a little while."

"Ok. Me too. When Frohike calls I'll wake you up."

"Shit, the phone will wake me up anyway," he replies with a gruff chuckle, "you wanna spend the night here then?" he adds hopefully.

"Sure, I guess I'd better. I'm beat anyway. And hey, maybe we can go again later..."

"Fat chance after the three stooges reappear," he growls.

"Get real. The brick walls in this place make the rooms practically sound proof. Besides it's not like they don't bring women here once in while."

"Somehow I think that would qualify as an X-File," he laughs, shaking my head where it lies on his chest.

"No, really..."

"Ok, I believe you. Spare me the gory details. I gotta crash anyway. Sure, when Frohike calls if I can get it up, we can go again," he chuckles, kissing my hair again warmly. I laugh as well and turn over so we can spoon together. We snuggle close and Walter puts an arm protectively around me.

"Night, Walter."

"Sweet dreams, Fox," Walter mumbles as he reaches to turn off the light.

xXx

Friday, May 21, 1999. 9 AM. The J. Edgar Hoover Building

AD Kersh's secretary stares at me. I stare at her. Gee, blondes sure have more fun. Piss on it. I've been cooling my heels here for 20 minutes waiting for *Special K* to get done with whoever the hell is in his office so I can find out what the hell he could possibly want with yours truly. I can't imagine what he wants with me. Scully wasn't called in here. I wrack my brain. Our last case report was letter perfect. Christ, even the expenses were in order. Since Kersh ok'd Scully and my vacation requests we've been treading on eggs to please the bastard. We didn't want anything to screw up our chances to escape the grind for awhile. Yes, we've been good little agents, Scully and I. Ken and Barbie for the F Bean Counting I.

Well I suppose if Kersh found out Scully and I were balling like bunnies he might have something to frown about. We've been extra cautious however. Langly and Frohike sweep Scully and my apartments for bugs on a regular rotation now. They've been sweeping Walter's place as well but Walter still thinks it's too much of risk to meet me there. I guess I can't blame him. We have less reason to get together not being partners on the job, and even less since he's been officially ordered to stay away from me. Walter and I haven't been able to get together much at all as a result. Our rendezvous at the LGM headquarters was one of the few occasions we've been able to spend time together. Being away from his embrace still makes me feel partially empty.

But Scully and I are lovers again, thank God. Two days before Walter and I had our assignation in the LGM's extra bedroom, Scully invited me over for dinner. We had Chicken Marsala with a Caesar salad and a nice wine for the main meal. We had each other for dessert. Oh, those calories we didn't put on. It was glorious losing myself in her arms. Watching her eyes dance. Feeling her flesh. Being in her again, having her over me, under me, all round me. And oh how fantastic it was to hold her after the loving. Cuddling, talking quietly with her about little things again. She told me her mother is seriously involved with Byers. I can hardly believe it, but it's true. No hanky-panky, but Margaret has developed a deep fondness for the bearded computer geek. It's kind of sweet. I'll watch where that goes with interest. It's just great being back with Scully. I feel almost whole again. Now, I'm so looking forward to feeling complete with Walter and Scully at my side. Even if it's only for a little over a week it's going to be beautiful. It's going to be fantastic and it's going to have to last me for a while. Maybe a very long while.

So, today's the big day. We're leaving early to drive up to Crossroads, Maine. Walter took today off and he's up there all ready. I'm driving up at noon. Scully's stopping at her mother's house later, and then she's blowing this Popsicle stand for Maine too. As I'm contemplating the glorious week ahead, the phone on Kersh's guard dog's desk rings. She picks up the receiver and speaks into it.

"Yes sir. Right away."

The blonde hangs up and her beady little eyes zero in on me.

"He'll see you now, Agent Mulder," she barks. Bow wow, you efficient bitch. I don't know what it is about that woman. I just don't like her. And who the hell was in Kersh's office I wonder. They didn't come out through the front door. Hmmm. I smile, knowing it doesn't reach my eyes, get up and go in to confront the new boss.

As soon as I enter the inner sanctum I smell the fucking Morley smoke. Shit! I knew it! Well, I've suspected on a gut level but fuck it anyway. Oh yeah, all bets are off now you dickwad traitor. I nod my head and clear my throat. Kersh closes a file on his desk and looks at me for the first time.

"Sit down, Agent Mulder."

I take a seat in the chair in front of his desk. When I do so, I see the cigarette butts and ashes in the ash tray on Kersh's desk. Brazen bastard. But then again maybe Kersh smokes too. Oh yeah, sure. Asshole. Whatever. I think I'd better listen up. I have a sinking feeling something unpleasant is about to happen. I need my brain firing on all cylinders here.

"I have some bad news, Agent Mulder."

I bet creepazoid. Ok. I knew it. Here it comes.

"I'm going to have to ask you to put off your vacation for a few days."

I'm seeing red. I can't even see Kersh's face right now. I feel the blood pressure soar right up my neck and flush my entire face. Damn him to hell. Kersh notices my discomfort. How could he miss it? I must look like a tomato. But, of course he could care less. He continues on and I can't help but think that he's roaring with laughter inside.

"VCS has an emergency, Mulder. It looks like Holyoke, Massachusetts has an escalating serial rapist on it's hands. He's doing college women and the last one was cut up as well as raped. At any rate, Burton needs help with the profile. Gallago is working another case down in Clearwater, Florida. You'll need to report to Burton by 11 AM today. That should give you a chance to inform agent Scully and clear up any loose ends. I assume you don't have many loose ends anyway in view of your vacation request."

I'm nodding my head like an imbecile and trying to rein in my raging anger. Fine, maybe this is legitimate. Just bad timing. College women being raped and very probably murdered in the near future isn't something I'm going to overlook for God's sake . If Gallago is unavailable then yeah, I'm the best man for the business. Still why now? I scream inwardly. Why me?

"Agent Mulder?"

"Yes, sir. I'll postpone my vacation, no question. The situation in Holyoke sounds serious."

"It is serious, Mulder. Burton..."

He hesitates just a moment as if he's going to choke on his next words.

"and I both want to thank your for lending a hand."

"No problem, sir."

"You will of course, need to go to Holyoke. Burton will be assigning another agent to accompany you."

"All right, sir. Thank you for having the confidence to assign me," I cringe inwardly as I give him a cheesy half smile. Oh God, I can't believe I'm sucking up to him. I feel like I'm licking his boots. Piss up a rope.

"Confidence has nothing to do with it, Mulder. I know your success rate as a profiler. It's common, if not statistical knowledge. I'm allocating the best resource I have to this case. I know you'll get your man. As soon as you do, you're on vacation at my authorization. Dismissed."

Bite me, buster. Just wait. This is war now. In more ways than one.

xXx

"Oh Mulder..." Scully begins to commiserate when I get back to the bull pen. I rushed through the results of my meeting with Kersh. As I told her I began to struggle with the depression that's settling on my shoulders. I have to shake that off right away. The college women in Holyoke don't need an agent with a personal agenda.

"Look, let's not talk about it, ok? I...I just can't right now. I have to get my shit together and report to Burton."

Lucky I had my bags in the car all ready. I'm ready for the road trip without having to go home to pack. Scully nods in understanding. I smile a little at her to soften my words.

"Well, everything here is tied up. I...do you want me to call and cancel your uh, hotel reservations?" she lifts an eyebrow.

Oh shit yeah. What in the hell am I going to tell Walter?

I sit down for a second and open a file to cover what I'm going to say. She moves close and we pretend to go over the paper in front of us.

"I don't think you should stay here. Drive up to Maine and have a good time."

She creases her forehead.

"I don't..." she starts to object.

"Scully, one of us should have some fun. You need the vacation. I'll feel better with this situation if I know you're enjoying yourself a little."

She sighs and nods.

"Yeah. I have to admit, I've really been looking forward to the time off. Ok. I'll leave early as planned and head up to Crossroads."

"All right, that's my..."

"If you say girl, I'll clock you," she hisses with a quick grin. I smirk. Works to cheer her up every time.

"Should I call uh, your hosts. Or do you want to do it?"

I debate a moment as she stares at me. I hate to ask her to tell him. But, I know Burton will have me up in Holyoke fast. There won't be time to call Walter and have any sort of coherent conversation. Scully would be the logical choice to give my man the bad news when she gets up there. Crap. This stinks all the way around.

"If you wouldn't mind informing them, later, I'd appreciate it. I'd do it but I don't think there's time right now. Tell them I'll call and reconfirm my reservations at a future time," I wince as I ask it. It's a lot to ask. Being the bearer of bad tidings - especially bad tidings to Walter Skinner is no small task to endure.

"I think I can manage that," she agrees touching my knee under the desk. Bless her heart. God, she's an angel.

"Thanks, Agent Scully," I reply more loudly, "I think we're all set here."

"I'd say so Agent Mulder. Good luck in Massachusetts," she shakes my hand in a business like manner. I almost laugh with the formality of it. It's part of the Barbie and Ken Goody-two shoes agent act of course. We're getting rather good at it. She whispers one last thing just before I release her hand and her parting remark does bring a grim smile to my lips.

"Go get 'em, Boy Wonder. I know you'll catch the bastard. We'll see you in Maine soon."

"Count on it," I reply with a nod. I collect my briefcase, turn and head out to meet with Burton.

CONTINUED IN PART 2...