TITLE: The Heart of Reason

NAME: frogdoggie

FEEDBACK: frogdoggie@hotmail.com

Additional headers, including Disclaimer can be found in Part 1. Missing a part of this story or just want to read more of my fic? Then surf here: https://www.squidge.org/3wstop

I'm breathing hard too, and my arms are trembling. A lassitude floods through my muscles...the post-coital languor of the well-fucked. I'm dimly aware that I managed to deposit my semen on the towel that's draped under me. Well, that worked nicely, I think with a satisfied grimace.

"Fuck," Walter gasps a chuckle.

"You can say that again."

The small sound from Scully makes us both look up. She's clearing her throat and her expression is one of tenderness mixed with appreciation.

"Bravo," she whispers, smiling.

"Should we bow?" I gasp.

"Christ," Walter replies and then he huffs a chuckle. Scully laughs a little and scoots over to the edge of the bed. She slides down next to me and her face takes on that look of tenderness again. She strokes my hair back from my forehead.

"That was...beautiful," Scully adds more quietly. "I...I really appreciate you both sharing it with me."

She looks up at Walter where he's draped over my back and reaching forward, caresses his arm.

"You're most welcome," he rumbles, getting his breath.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, lover," I comment gently to her.

Walter shifts his head and kisses me.

"Thank you," he mumbles.

"Oh...believe me...I should be thanking you. In any event...my pleasure, big man."

Walter caresses my ass and then levers up.

I brace myself and he stands up behind me, gripping the base of his cock. He steps back and his cock slides out of my ass.

"You wanna go clean up?" he asks us as he works the condom off. He glances up from the task at us both.

Scully nods and starts to slide off the bed and I stand up and flex my arms a little.

"Sure," I reply, grabbing at the cum stained towel on the edge of the bed.

xXx

"So, if you want to contact the publishers and discuss not making any or as many appearances, neither one of us objects," I murmur, looking over Scully's side into Walter's profile.

"Or we can call and discuss it with them, whichever you prefer doing," Scully adds quietly.

Walter lies on his back with his arm around Scully's shoulder. Scully's head and hand are on his chest. I'm spooned up next to Scully's ass as we lay together in the King-sized bed. The lights are off except for the bathroom light which dimly illuminates the room through the partially open bathroom door. It's 9:45 and all of us are satiated and sleepy.

But we've been discussing the issue of Walter's trepidation regarding the book publicity before we drift off in slumber.

"Yeah...let me give it some thought. After the weekend I'll give you an answer," he breathes out, shifting his weight a little on the mattress.

"We don't want you to be uncomfortable with any of this, Skinner," Scully replies, stroking his grizzled chest hair.

"Yeah, guy. There's no sense in this whole thing being a royal pain in your tight ass," I smirk.

"I'd say, 'blow me' but you've done that tonight already," he retorts with a good-natured growl.

I chuckle.

"In any event, I understand everything you're saying," Walter continues. "I just have to decide what I really want to do."

I see Scully nod against him.

"All right. We'll wait for your answer then," she yawns.

Walter tips his chin down and kisses the top of her head. He caresses her arm.

"Get some sleep, baby. The Gunmen are coming with the truck at 8 tomorrow morning. That alarm's going to go off early."

Scully nods again.

I reach over and pat Walter's shoulder and then lie back, snuggling next to Scully.

"Night," I yawn.

"Night," Walter rumbles, shifting to turn on his side.

"I love you both," Scully sighs, spooning in next to Skinner. She can barely lay a hand on his hip but she manages to do it past her stomach.

"I love you too," I mumble.

Skinner reaches back and pats Scully's hand where it lays on his hip.

"Me too."

As Walter's breathing starts to even out, I lay my arm over Scully and place my hand on the top of her stomach. I caress her once and then still my fingers.

"Night, baby Skinner," I murmur and then I drift off as well. My last thought is of how tonight I can rest assured no nightmares will trouble my dreams.

xXx

I float up through sleep to a pleasant feeling of warm arousal coursing through my nether regions. Sleepily I shift forward into something tight and warm encircling my cock. My eyelids open and I'm staring at the back of Scully's head. She's facing away from me and lying on her side with her knees tucked up next to her stomach. I glance down at her hand where it's stretched behind her, and moving up and down on my morning hard-on.

I can hear the shower running in the master bathroom. I crane my neck over Scully and observe that Walter's not on the other side. I look at the radio alarm clock. The face is just changing to 5 o'clock. The alarm was set for 6. Well...Walter and Scully are always early risers. I guess at least part of me is this morning.

"Good morning," I whisper.

"Good morning," she whispers.

"Is this an invitation or just an idle contemplation?" I chuckle, kissing the back of her neck.

"An invitation," she chuckles.

"Mmmm," I mumble in pleasure, rocking into her hand a little more insistently. I reach down and work her nightgown aside, feeling between her legs. Her folds are wet already so she's definitely aroused and I wonder if she's ready to take me. I probe with a finger.

"Slick," I comment, smiling.

She arches back against my hand and I kiss and nuzzle her neck.

"Put it in," she purrs.

I smile against her skin and then flip the covers back so that I can slide down enough to get the right angle.

She lifts a leg up and I help her to do so, holding it as I reach down and position my cock at her vulva.

With a gentle thrust, I'm inside her. It's not a deep penetration but it feels wonderful and I can tell by Scully's sigh that it feels good for her too. Just for fun I take my cock, pull out and thrust slowly in again.

"Mmmm," Scully murmurs in appreciation.

I push closer and balance her leg against me. We lie there for a moment savoring the connection. I kiss her shoulder.

"You feel so good," I mumble.

"God, Mulder...I love you so much," she whispers.

I kiss her neck again and then we begin to rock gently together. I curl around her, thrusting in and out, watching my cock, slick with her juices move in and out of her body.

She closes her eyes and bites her lip in enjoyment, pumping her ass against me with each movement of my hips. Scully's always been able to come just by G-spot stimulation and that's lucky now because with her pregnant and in this position, it's difficult for either one of us to reach her clit.

I angle myself better after a few minutes of rocking and then vary my thrusts. The sensation is extremely pleasurable for me.

"Oh, that...that's good," Scully moans telling me that once again, it's pleasing her too.

"Christ...you're making me so hot," I grunt, increasing the pace of my pumps.

After a few more seconds, Scully reaches back and grips my hand, squeezing it. I feel her vaginal muscles clamp down hard on my cock.

"Ohhh," she moans, rocking rapidly against me.

"That's it...oh yeah," I groan, snapping against her. I stroke in hard and rapidly at the end, but squeeze my ass muscles rhythmically to bring me off faster so that I don't have to pound into her for too long. My orgasm comes quickly up out of my balls then, shooting a bolt of ecstasy through me and I groan even more loudly, gripping Scully's leg hard as I hump spastically against her.

Shortly, I'm running on empty and we finally slow and then stop our rapid rocking together. I shift Scully's leg and she pulls both her legs up against her stomach again. I rest against her back, still inside her, and both of us breathe hard for a few moments.

When I've caught my breath I drape my arm over her stomach and hug her to me, massaging below her belly button.

"I guess that was a little rock and roll for her," I whisper into Scully's hair.

Scully cranes her head to glance back at me, her eyebrow raised a little quizzically.

"Her?"

I smile and shrug.

"A guess...I don't know...it gets difficult to keep saying him or her, he or she, or it."

She smiles gently at me and turns her head back to the side. She brings her arm up and holds mine to her.

"Why don't you just say 'surprise'," she replies quietly.

I chuckle.

"Ok."

We lay there quietly for a couple of more minutes until the shower stops running.

Then, I finally pull out so Scully can roll over and face me. We both laugh because her abdomen's so big she can't really lie that close to me.

I reach over and stroke her cheek.

"That was better than the alarm," I chuckle.

"I thought you might think so," she giggles.

A soft knock on the door silences us.

"Mommy? Daddy?"

Evidently someone else is an early riser.

"The Pocket Monster," Scully chuckles, stroking my arm.

I dart forward and give her a quick peck on the lips.

"Baby...this is a 'Pocket Monster'," I smirk, jiggling my sticky, flaccid cock at her.

"Oh God," she laughs, pushing me away. "You are too full of yourself."

I laugh.

"Hang on, son," I yell toward the door.

I slide away from Scully and pad over to the chair where I threw my boxer briefs last night. Pulling them up, I head over to the bedroom door. Scully rearranges her nightgown, modestly tucking it around her. Then she pulls the covers up around her stomach.

Walter comes out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his loins as I unlock and open the bedroom door.

"What's up, doc?" I ask Charlie as he bounds into the room. I shut the door behind him.

"I'm hungry," he announces grandly, running in and nearly colliding with Walter.

"Whoa, pardner," Skinner chuckles, grabbing Charlie and steadying him. "Slow down."

Charlie dutifully complies, walking quickly over to the bed and pulling himself up.

"You can certainly tell he's a growing boy," I comment as Charlie crawls over to Scully and she hugs him. "He's always hungry."

"Good morning, honey," she says, kissing his head.

"Mornin', Mommy."

"Should I be jealous?" I ask Walter, sotto voce as we both watch Charlie's undivided attention directed at his mother.

"Not after what I heard in here earlier...even with the water running," he replies giving me a significant look.

I laugh and he slaps me on the ass and grins. Then he leaves my side and walks over to the bedroom door. I head over to the bed and the rest of my family.

"I'm going to go get dressed and then I guess it's my turn at breakfast duty," he advises before he reaches the door.

I sit down on the edge of the bed next to Scully and Charlie slides over, putting his arms around my neck. He kisses me and I swing him around so he's sitting on my lap.

"Tell your Uncle Walter what you want for breakfast," I suggest, hugging him.

"Green eggs and ham," he replies, giggling.

Walter chuckles as Scully moves over and swings her legs off the edge of the bed. She ruffles Charlie's hair.

"Oh...that's a good idea. I think I'd like that too, Uncle Walter," she grins, looking over at the bemused Skinner.

He gives Scully an 'oh...you'll pay for this later' look.

"I'm Deputy Director Skinner...not Dr. Seuss...but I'll see what I can do," he replies with a mock scowl.

Scully laughs and so does Charlie. He's learned the difference between when Walter's joking and when he's most decidedly not.

"There's a new box of food coloring in that cabinet over the stove," I inform him with a grin.

"Thank you, Professor Mulder," he grunts as he turns and twists the door handle.

"My pleasure," I reply, smirking.

"Coffee in 30 minutes. Get a move on, agents," he growls back over his broad shoulder.

"Yes, sir," all three of us reply. He saunters out, closing the door behind him.

xXx

"Christ, I'm glad I skipped my run this morning," I huff, muscling the end of the bookcase I'm carrying a little higher.

"Why? Because it would have made you late?" Jimmy Bond asks from his position ahead of me at the other end. He raises an eyebrow and gives me a wide-eyed guileless stare.

"No," I grunt, adjusting the load. "Because this thing is damn heavy and I'm getting enough exercise trying to haul it up these steps."

"Oh yeah?" he replies contemplatively, lifting his end higher to help me out. "I think it's more awkward than heavy."

I lower my head and roll my eyes. That's right...make me feel like a weak old man, I think, gritting my teeth as we heave the piece of furniture up another step.

"Well to me it's heavy. But then I've got about 15 years on you," I complain, lifting my sneaker clad foot up another step.

I watch as Jimmy does the age computation in his head.

"I'm 31," he finally remarks.

"Whatever. What I'm trying to say is I'm either out of shape or..."

"Nah...you're in good shape, Mr. Mulder. You just have a runner's body and not a weight lifter's," he replies magnanimously.

I sigh.

"Thanks, Jimmy. And really...you can just call me Mulder. I don't mind."

"Oh yeah, sorry...I forgot."

I nod and grimace as we work our way up yet another step.

Jesus...where did the guys say they got this slacker again? 'Rent-a-DumbFuck'? I shake my head and chastise myself then. Shit...that's not very charitable. After all, he's not a total loser. He's a hell of a carpenter and he has a heart the size of the state of Texas. He's been great to and for Frohike, Byers, Langly and now Gibson. Besides, he's generously gotten his uncle's truck for us to use, and he's got muscle and we need both today for sure. I should cut him some slack, I think as he lifts the bookcase clear of the next step.

The Gunmen arrived promptly at 8 AM, Jimmy pulling the white truck with "Bond Contractors" emblazoned on the side up to the curb in front of the townhouse. Gibson was riding shotgun next to him. Byers, driving their ancient VW bus carrying the rest of the group, including Frohike and his wife Gayle and Langly, parked behind.

All of us had a cup of coffee from the second pot Skinner made. Charlie was excited and running from one Gunman to the next talking a mile a minute. He finally settled down with Gibson, his Scully appointed official minder for the day, and they went into the living room to play video games on the big screen TV.

Scully, Skinner and I had what felt like our hundredth discussion about how we didn't want Scully to help and how she wanted to participate. We just didn't want her lifting anything or carrying things up the stairs. Scully was insistent saying she wasn't tired, felt fine and wanted to feel useful. Gayle Frohike, also being a doctor took Scully's side saying that if Scully were careful there was no reason she couldn't lift some of the lighter things and take them upstairs. "After all," she said, "Dana's pregnant, not incapacitated". With some grumbling and blustering from Walter, we reached a compromise with the two doctors. Scully could go upstairs and help to start unpacking boxes with Gayle, Charlie and Gibson. Then she'd supervise arranging things since Walter had already told Scully where he wanted his belongings arranged in the space.

That debate over, Skinner, me, Byers, Frohike, Langly and Jimmy piled into the truck and the VW bus and headed over to Crystal City and Walter's old apartment in the Viva Towers.

We've made two trips and this, the second one, is the last. The final two items that need to be moved are this huge bookcase piece of Walter's wall unit and his bed. The mattress and box springs are already in the hallway downstairs. Walter, Byers and Langly are bringing in the headboard and baseboard as we labor on the stairway. As soon as we get our load into the attic, they'll come up with the rest.

"Hey you guys need any help?" Frohike calls from the landing at the top of the stairs.

"Just make sure you get everyone out of the way," I call up, sweat running down my forehead. Some of it drips onto my gray T-shirt and even onto my jeans. Shit...the front door's still open downstairs and you'd never know it was November...I'm perspiring like a pig.

With a few more grunts on my part and yanks from Jimmy we're at the landing and then into the attic proper.

"Over here," Scully calls, indicating for Jimmy who has his back to her, where he should walk. "To the right."

"That's your right," I prompt as well just in case the guy doesn't quite get it. He's quick enough however in this instance and we succeed in maneuvering the bookcase so that it sits at the end of Walter's wall unit.

Once it's in place Jimmy and I step back. Jimmy slaps me on the back, nearly knocking me off balance.

"Good job," he remarks, smiling broadly and slinging his arm over my shoulder in camaraderie.

Frohike snorts his derision and Gayle walks over and gives her husband a punch in the arm.

"Ow," he complains, but then he takes her around the waist with a good-natured smile. She kisses him on the cheek.

Frohike and his wife are the same height and it's really great to see how happy they are together. Gayle's older and her red hair is darker than Scully's and shot with gray, but the resemblance between the two women has always been the subject of shared humor amongst our group. Trust Frohike to find an older Scully look-alike to fall in love with and marry.

"Thanks," I reply, ducking out from under Jimmy's arm.

"Daddy, want a drink?" Charlie asks from Walter's desk chair. He's sitting in it and Gibson's slowly spinning him around.

"Oh yeah," I agree giving Scully a beleaguered smile as I walk over and give her a hug.

She raises an eyebrow and a smile plays about her lips.

"Maybe you should have been the one who didn't climb all those stairs," she comments quietly.

"Hey," I protest, trying to smother my grin. "There's a reason I'm worn out...and it's not from 'humping' *this stuff*."

I waggle my eyebrows at Scully and she slaps my ass. Gayle and Frohike laugh.

"Come on, stud...there's a bottle of Gatorade over here with your name on it," she replies, pulling me by my back pocket. There's a small fridge next to Walter's desk. I want to stick my whole head in it.

"Are you going to unpack all the rest of his stuff today, or wait until tomorrow?" I ask glancing around at the boxes that still remain unopened and stacked against the wall.

"No...I think the consensus is, we're all hungry. So, the rest will wait until tomorrow," Scully replies. "Bringing the bed up will do it for today."

"It's nearly pizza time then," Frohike remarks, moving over to where Gibson is twirling Charlie around.

"Gib...go down and tell Byers, Langly and Skinner we're ready for the bed," he tells his adopted son.

"That's ok, Frohike. I'll do it," Jimmy volunteers. But before he can take a step toward the stairs, Charlie bolts from the desk chair, shouting. Gibson, temporarily stuck behind the chair can't reach him before he's gone.

"I'll tell Uncle Wall!" he yells, dashing past Scully as we head toward the fridge.

"Charlie!" Scully shouts, seeking to stop his headlong rush out of the room. "I told you I wanted you to stay up here out of the way."

"Uncle Wall!" Charlie shouts as he reaches the door and runs out it completely heedless of Scully's words. Christ, I think. The kid's fast. Walter was right...he's going to be a runner for sure.

"God, Mulder...he'll fall down the stairs," Scully exclaims pushing around me.

"I'll get him, Scully," Gibson interrupts, shoving the chair aside and hurrying past Scully. He's clearly mortified that his young charge escaped him. But Gibson's legs aren't long enough to cover the ground quickly and Scully with her pregnant abdomen bouncing isn't going to make much headway either.

Jimmy Bond is closest and he's already on the move after Charlie but I want to be there first. My runner's legs can get me there quicker...and I want to have a word with my son this time. He's going to hear and feel on his backside exactly what his Dad thinks of this behavior. I grab Scully and stop her from going any further and then dash toward the door, easily passing Gibson.

"No, I'll get him," I call back over my shoulder as I run past Jimmy and down the stairs.

Charlie's reached the hallway below me by the time I'm taking the stairs and I marvel on whatever miracle kept him from pitching down them as I run on.

"Charlie!" I yell trying to halt his progress but he's streaking ahead, his little arms pumping.

He rounds the corner in the hallway and I know he's reached the landing that leads to the stairs going to the first floor. Suddenly, Charlie starts to skid to a halt. Someone must be coming up the stairs, I think. As I run down the last few feet of the hallway, Charlie collides with Walter as he mounts the top step.

"Hey...where's the fire?" Skinner barks, grabbing the boy. But Charlie's weight throws him off balance and for one agonizing second two of the people I care most about in the whole world teeter precariously on the top of the stairs.

"Jesus," I cry out. I can tell from the expression on Skinner's face that he's losing his footing. In a second he's going to pitch over backwards and take Charlie with him.

I lunge forward and just manage to snag the straps of Charlie's Oshkosh B'Gosh farmer jeans. For a heartbeat I can feel Skinner's backward momentum and gravity threatening to plunge all of us down the stairwell. I plant my feet and yank Charlie toward me with all my might. Skinner uses every bit of strength he has in his thighs and lower back to arch up and lunge forward as I pull. We're all propelled to safety at last, falling in a heap in the hallway, Charlie squashed between my and Walter's bulk for a moment. Then Skinner crashes to the side, landing heavily on his back. He draws his knees up and gasps.

Charlie screams, scrambling and kicking as he turns in my arms and clings to me.

"Daddy! Daddy!" he wails.

"It's ok, son. It's ok," I murmur, wrapping my arms around him. All thoughts of spanking him for running away are gone as I cradle his shaking body against me. Dashing footsteps thud from both the direction of the attic and downstairs.

"Holy shit," Jimmy Bond exclaims running up to us as we lay there on the landing. "What happened?"

"Oh God," Scully exclaims in a voice hushed with fear as she draws up with Gibson following close behind.

"Holy shit...they nearly took a header," Langly blurts out as he reaches the top of the stairs.

"Are you all right?" Byers asks, thrusting the panicked Langly out of the way, his eyes showing his worry.

Charlie's sobbing against my chest, wetting my T-shirt with his tears.

Gayle Frohike strides forward, kneels down between Walter and me, and Frohike puts his arm around Scully to help her kneel down on my opposite side. Walter has the wind knocked out of him and he's gasping like a beached whale.

"Walter...can you stretch your arms out?" Gayle asks.

Walter's got all he can do to draw breath at the moment it appears.

"Guys, come and help me," Gayle asks, looking from one Gunman to the next.

Frohike, Langly and Byers quickly walk over to where Skinner is lying and with Jimmy and Gayle's help get Skinner to lie flat and stretch his arms out as he starts to catch his breath.

"Mulder?"

Scully's touching me and Charlie everywhere as quickly but gently as she can.

"I'm ok, and I think Charlie's just scared," I cough, softly rubbing Charlie's back. His wracking cries are starting to subside into sniffling.

"Easy, Skinman," Frohike advises calmly as he tends to Walter. "Easy breaths."

Gayle starts giving Walter a quick examination, asking him if it hurts anywhere. He's shaking his head as Scully gently feels Charlie all over again.

"Does it hurt anywhere, Charlie? Does your back hurt? Your arms or legs? Your tummy?" Scully asks quietly, her eyes just starting to lose that look of extreme fright that I saw in them when she first approached us.

Charlie shakes his head.

"No, Mommy," he whispers.

Skinner coughs loudly next to me, his chest practically rattling with the effort.

"Uncle Wall," Charlie blubbers, starting to cry again.

"S'ok, buddy," Walter wheezes, finding both his breath and voice again. "I'm fine."

"I'll get some Gatorade," Gibson volunteers turning and jogging back down the hallway toward the attic stairs.

Jimmy helps Skinner to lever up into a sitting position. He lays his hand on my shoulder. Byers and Langly step back.

"Good teamwork, agent," he states, giving me a grimace that passes for a smile since he's still huffing a bit.

I chuckle.

"Thank you, DD Skinner, sir."

Walter reaches over and lightly massages between Charlie's shoulder blades as Scully sits back and sighs heavily, rubbing at her stomach.

"It's all right, champ. No damage done," he says, smiling at Charlie.

Before he can continue with what I'm sure is a warning about running near the stairs, Scully speaks again, her voice tightly controlled. Charlie looks over at her instantly.

"But I hope this teaches you a lesson about running near the stairs," Scully interjects. "Do you understand me?" she adds, her anger and worry slipping through at last and making her voice rise at the end of the question.

I look up into her eyes and see the abject terror rise up from deep down in them again. I reach over and take her hand.

"It's all right, Mom. He knows," I whisper, squeezing her hand in comfort. "Right, Charlie?" He flings his arm out, begging for Scully to take him. She reaches over as he crawls into her arms.

"Mommy," he whispers, cleaving to her pregnant abdomen, his face the epitome of apology, contriteness as well as leftover fear.

As Scully hugs and rocks Charlie, Gibson returns with two bottles of Gatorade and some paper cups balanced in his arms.

"Are you ok?" I whisper, patting Scully's knee. Walter looks at her anxiously as well.

She gives us a wan smile and makes a dismissive gesture.

"I've probably got a few more gray hairs but I'm all right," she insists, giving Charlie another squeeze.

"Here, let me help 'ya, Gib," Jimmy offers, taking one of the bottles that Gibson is in danger of dropping.

Gibson goes to his mother and hands her the cups. He twists the cap off the Gatorade and in a few moments, Charlie's sitting up and sipping the cold green liquid from a cup Gayle handed him. His tears are drying on his cheeks.

Walter stretches out his hand toward Jimmy and the Gunmen slaps the other bottle of Gatorade into it. With a twist of the cap Walter's quickly slugging back the bottle, his larynx moving up and down as he swallows some of the contents.

Gibson hands me the other bottle and I tip it up to my lips, not waiting for a cup either.

Jimmy takes it all in and then gives Frohike, Langly and Byers a wide ingenuous smile.

"So...anybody for pizza?"

Langly makes a derisive snort and I lower the bottle and can't help chuckling as Jimmy gives Langly a perplexed look and Byers and Frohike roll their eyes.

xXx

"Jimmy, thanks again," Skinner rumbles, tipping his glass toward the younger man where he stands by the sink, his empty plate of pizza on the counter.

"Yeah...I would have never thought to bring bottles of champagne to go with the pizza," I add wryly, tipping my glass of bubbly at him as well. Pizza and champagne...only with Jimmy would a combination like that be on the menu, I think. Scully kicks me under the table. "Ow," I complain and she gives me a significant look. That Jimmy's oblivious to my tone or Walter's bemused expression is pretty obvious with his next words and broad smile.

"Oh hey, uh...Skinman...don't mention it. You either, Mulder."

"Walter's fine, Jimmy," Skinner replies, gritting his teeth a little.

"Oh...sure," Jimmy answers, smiling as he walks over to the table and makes a move on one of the last pieces of sausage and mushroom pizza.

"Uh, uh, horseface...that piece has my name on it," Langly waves him off as he reaches for it first.

Jimmy frowns a little but backs off, going to pick up his 'designated driver' tumbler of Diet Coke.

We're all seated in the kitchen, nearly empty delivery pizza boxes on the kitchen table along with the partially empty bottles of champagne that Jimmy Bond brought to celebrate Walter's 'housewarming'. It really was a nice gesture even if the combination of beverage and food was a little unusual.

"Well...anybody want some more champagne?" he asks ingenuously. "Or milk," he adds with a smile at Scully and Charlie.

"I think I'd like another Diet Coke," Gibson comments, holding up his glass.

"Ok. Diet Coke coming right up," Jimmy replies with a nod.

Jimmy walks over to the refrigerator to retrieve a Diet Coke for Gibson.

"Did you take your pill, honey?" Gayle asks her adopted son as Jimmy rummages in the fridge.

"Yeah, Mom...I took it earlier," Gibson replies.

"Oh...he doesn't have to take the injection any longer?" Scully asks, interested.

"In-jec-tion?" Charlie asks, his brow furrowing a little.

"Shot, honey," Scully answers miming the motion of injecting something into her arm.

Charlie makes a face at Gibson and mouths the word "shot". Gibson gives him a thumbs up sign.

"No, I forgot to tell you. We figured out a way to stabilize the drug in pill form," Gayle replies.

"That's great," I comment.

"Must be a lot easier," Walter adds.

"Yeah," Gibson nods. "It's way more easy to take a pill."

"So you don't hear the voices," Charlie states over his glass of milk. He raises an eyebrow and I can't help but chuckle over how much the action makes him look like Scully again.

Gibson will have to take drugs for the rest of his life to keep his telepathic abilities suppressed...unless of course he ends up like me and has an extreme emotional experience that short circuits the ability. Hopefully if he does it'll be something pleasant like when he loses his virginity with someone he's in love with, and not something life threatening. But at any rate, he still has to take the drug and at one time the only way to get it into his system was a daily injection. The pill will be much more convenient.

"Yeah. So it stays quiet in here," Gibson replies, touching his head.

Frohike pats him on the back from his seat next to him.

"Yeah, so you can have more quiet time to think about Abby Martin," he replies, winking at us.

Gibson goes almost scarlet.

"Hickey..." he pleads.

"Hey, you should be happy you've got a chicka...uh...girlfriend. When I was your age..."

"Frohike," Gayle cuts him off with a good-natured but firm stare.

Frohike chuckles and slaps Gibson on the back again. "Gibby and Abby...it has a nice ring to it."

"Gibby and Abby," Charlie giggles. I can tell he's not sure what's up but he thinks Frohike's a pretty funny guy right at this minute.

"Oh man," Gibson sighs, reaching up and pushing his glasses up his nose.

"Ok, I'll bite...who's Abby Martin?" I ask with a grin.

Gibson looks like he wants to crawl under the table and Scully gives me a warning look but I ignore her. I know this is probably a right of passage for Gibson Praise. A sign that even though he's hardly got fuzz on his upper lip, he's one of the guys, a Gunmen in all senses of the word...even if that means getting the business over a girl he has a crush on.

"Abby Martin..." Byers begins to explain quietly, his blue eyes serious but a smile playing about his lips.

"...is one of the gnarliest computer jockies at American University. She's only 16 but she's a college Junior and I gotta say...her Kung Fu's not bad at all."

Byers gives Langly a peeved look.

"Well, I guess that sums it up well enough," he comments.

"She's really cute and very nice," Jimmy interjects. "Her brother used to play on my blind football team."

"Yes," Gibson replies, clearing his throat. "Uh...Jimmy introduced us."

"How are *your* studies going at the University, Gibson?" Scully asks, trying to change the subject and give the kid a break.

Gibson, red and miserable, gives her a grateful look.

"Really good. I'm taking a class on Artificial Intelligence right now that's fascinating," he replies eagerly.

"Really?" Scully raises an eyebrow. "Mulder might be able to give you some insight into that subject."

"Oh...yes...the Esther Nairn case...the kill switch...Dad's told me a little about that X-File. I'd like to discuss it with you sometime, Mulder...if that's ok with you."

"Yeah...Mulder still has the file at Quantico," Walter comments offhandedly, pouring the last of the champagne from one bottle into his glass. "You could dig it up, right?"

Both Scully and Skinner are suddenly looking at me and I begin to think they're wondering whether my talking to Gibson about an X-File will bring on a visit to Allen Greenberg. They're probably only expecting me to answer. I'm projecting on to them the fact that the idea did flash through my mind. I give a moment's thought to the matter and then dismiss it. I can handle it. Why the hell not...I might as well locate the File and spend some time with Gibson going over it.

"Sure...I could dig it out and we could talk about it," I reply. Then I grimace inwardly. Yeah, but not quite all of it...I might cut out the bit about Nurse Betty. Even if the kid has a crush on some teenage girl genius, I don't think he's ready for my AI induced porn movie nurse fantasies.

"Cool," Gibson replies.

"Gibson's too modest to tell you grades came out Thursday. He had straight As," Gayle comments quietly, gently touching her adopted son's shoulder.

"I was going to get to that," Frohike adds, smiling wide and giving the kid another pat on the back. "He's done the Lone Gunmen proud."

"Here, here," Byers nods, raising his glass.

"Way to go, man," Langly agrees, raising his glass as well.

"Another toast," Jimmy enthuses, raising his Diet Coke. All of us who aren't raising our glasses, comply. Charlie and Scully smile at each other because they both have milk in tumblers.

"To Gibson...may he always be quiet of mind and resolute of purpose...and heck...I'll throw in another one for Walter too...best of luck with the new accommodations."

"Salute," Walter chuckles.

"Salute," we all repeat and then click glasses in sequence until I touch Charlie's glass with a kachink.

"Cinnamon toast," he giggles.

I laugh and ruffle his hair.

"Yeah, we did promise you that in the morning didn't we?"

He nods and grins, then his mouth splits into a mammoth yawn.

Gayle laughs.

"I think that's a sign that we should all be going."

"But there's one piece of pizza left," Langly comments, pointing at the table.

"That one's definitely mine," Frohike replies.

"No way, Jose. I only had three pieces...you had four, that one's mine.

"Ringo..." Frohike starts to bluster.

"Hey!" Langly complains and Frohike sputters as Jimmy swoops in and snags the coveted last slice of pizza. "Dimwit...don't be such a hog!"

"That settles that problem," Jimmy grins triumphantly around a mouthful of pizza.

"It figures...he who hesitates is lost," Frohike gripes.

"Oh...poor baby," Gayle replies in false commiseration as she gives Frohike a pat on the head. Gibson snorts a laugh at them both.

Walter, Scully, Charlie and I all laugh and as we're joining in the good-natured teasing, joking and camaraderie, I think not for the first time, how lucky I am to call all these people my friends.

xXx

"Jimmy...we really did appreciate the truck and all your help," Walter says, shaking Jimmy Bond's hand at the front door.

"It was my pleasure, Walter. Anytime."

He smiles that ingenuous smile again and then turns and hugs Scully.

"You take care of yourself, now," he tells her seriously. "And the bambino too."

"Thank you, Jimmy. I will," she smiles as he lets her go.

He extends his hand to me.

"Night, Mulder."

"Yeah, Jimmy. And like Walter said...couldn't have done it without you, friend."

He beams at the last word in my sentence, and pumps my hand up and down.

"No problem. Whenever you need help, just yell. Night. Night everybody."

And with a bound like a big, ungainly friendly dog, Jimmy is down the stairs and out to the truck where the more than slightly inebriated Byers and Langly are waiting for him to drive.

Gibson and Charlie come up the hallway, Charlie jumping around and tugging on Gibson's arm. Frohike and Gayle bring up the rear.

"Can I take Gibson out to the van?" Charlie asks in his high pitched excited voice. He's looking up at Gibson with something akin to that same hero worship he has for Walter.

I hesitate for a moment. I don't want Charlie running around out in the cold without his coat.

"You need a coat."

Frohike grabs our son's winter coat off the coat tree in the corner.

"Here...put this on, little man."

"Ok, Daddy?"

"Sure...go for it."

Gibson puts out his hand for high five and Charlie slaps his hand.

"I'll see he gets back in the house," Frohike chuckles.

"Thanks," I smile. "For everything."

"Hey, like Jimmy said...no problem, dude. Anytime. Night you all," Frohike replies, giving Scully a quick kiss on the cheek. He slaps Walter and I on the back and then he's out the door as well.

"Son...do you have your key to the van?" he calls to Gibson.

"Yes, Dad," Gibson replies, patting his pants pocket.

"Gibson's grown up so much over the last year," Gayle observes. "Oh I know he thinks he's awkward and he's still a little self-conscious about his height. But he's such an intelligent, mature young man...I just...it's...well...I guess they grow up so fast." She shakes her head a little. "I don't have to tell you all that, I guess."

Scully nods and gives her friend a quick one-armed hug.

"He is a fine young man. I'm so glad the adoption worked out so well for all of you."

"Oh God, yes," she whispers. "If someone had told me I'd be a wife and mother at age 48, I would have told them they were crazy. But I'm so happy."

Gayle starts to tear up a little and Walter takes her around the shoulders and gives her a squeeze. I take Scully around the waist and give her a hug too as she gets a little misty eyed as well.

"Remember that the next time Frohike's pulling a week long hack and hasn't shaved or bathed the whole time," Walter replies dryly.

Gayle laughs hard and gives Walter a shove in the ribs.

"You really know how to cheer a girl up. And he does bathe."

Walter gives a gruff chuckle. It's obvious that Gayle knows Skinner didn't want to send her out to the van with tears in her eyes.

"Well, I'd better shove off too. I'm sure I'm going to have a hangover in the morning...but I wouldn't have it any other way," she smiles.

"Thanks, Gayle," Scully replies.

"Yes," Walter nods.

I smile at her.

"Tell Gibson I'll call him about that file."

"Will do," she smiles turning and leaving us standing in the hallway.

I watch as she walks out to where the others are waiting. I can't help but think that besides being Gibson's mother Gayle's also a den mother as I watch Byers and Langly each give her a wide drunken smile and Vulcan peace sign. She returns the salute but then ushers them both into the van. I bet she makes them all toe the line and as I watch Frohike open the side van door for her and Jimmy help her in because she's tipsy as well...I know she does.

Gibson stands by the van door and studies Charlie as he tries to make the Vulcan salute. Charlie's seen Mr. Spock do it on Star Trek more than once, but he's never actually tried to do it himself. Now, he's not having much success, so Gibson finally reaches down and bends Charlie's fingers into the "V" of the sign. Then he and Charlie flash it at each other.

"Well at least we don't have to worry about cleaning up," Scully comments with a grateful exhale of breath. "Since everyone helped clear things away, we won't be up half the night putting the kitchen back together."

"Yeah, I don't think I'm up to KP duty tonight either," Walter observes, laying a hand on his hip and rubbing the muscles there. I glance at his hand.

"Sore?"

"Oh yeah...even with the champagne to deaden things, I'm feeling my age tonight after wiping out up in the hallway. You should see your elbow."

"Oh yeah?"

I crane my neck around and sure enough, my elbow is the color of an eggplant.

"Shit...the champagne must have worked better on me...I didn't even feel that goose egg."

Scully gives my elbow a closer examination.

"Yes...it's swollen now...and a lovely shade of purple."

"I've had worse," I reply, giving her a slight grin.

I turn my attention back to the open doorway for a moment. Gibson is unlocking the van's driver's side door. Frohike takes our son's hand and starts to escort him up the walkway. Charlie's still spreading his fingers in the Vulcan salute.

Scully pats my ass, drawing my attention back to her.

"I'm more than familiar with your many war wounds."

"Including the one you gave me," I smirk.

"Hey, watch it mister," she mock threatens.

Walter chuckles. Scully gives him a raised eyebrow and he laughs a little harder. Then she lowers the eyebrow and speaks again.

"Listen, I'll make a deal with you guys...if you'll rub my back and feet again I'll break out the cold compresses, alcohol and Ben Gay and minister to both of you."

"Sounds like a deal to me," I reply smiling at her. I reach over and pull her close to me.

"Agreed," Walter nods.

Frohike deposits Charlie on the doorstep.

"Night guys," he grins, waving at us.

"Night, Frohike," Scully smiles as the grizzled Lone Gunman turns and jogs back down to Jimmy and the truck.

"Daddy, look what I can do," Charlie says. He smiles and salutes us all with the Vulcan peace sign.

To my surprise, Walter lifts his hand and returns the salute.

"Live Long and Prosper," he intones.

I snort a laugh and Scully does too.

Charlie smiles wide and Walter gives him a pleased smile back.

"Did Gibby teach you too?" Charlie asks innocently.

Scully giggles and I start to laugh harder. Walter turns to us, his smile fading.

"Hey, I've seen a few episodes of Star Trek," he grouches.

I make a wave of my hand, dismissing our teasing of him. I release Scully and rub Walter's back gently.

"And you've been very patient about putting up with it when we do watch it."

I smile at him and he flashes me a grin.

"Let's all come inside," Scully suggests, smiling. "We don't want to be bad Starfleet cadets here and let all the heat out of the house."

Charlie steps through the door, Scully shuts it behind him and starts to lock up.

"Cadet? I'll have you know I'm a Captain." I grin at her.

"Daddy can I be a Captain too?" Charlie pipes up as Walter places his hand on his shoulder.

"Sure. The Captains Mulder...I like how that sounds," I reply, smiling at him.

Charlie practically vibrates with pleasure. "Can we watch Star Trek tapes, Daddy?"

Not even I feel like watching Star Trek tonight, I think, as my elbow twinges.

"Not tonight, Captain Mulder. It's time we're all getting to bed. It's been a long day. But I think Admiral Skinner might need some help locking up. Why don't you give him a hand."

"Ok!" Charlie nods, smiling.

He trots off down the hallway toward the kitchen and the back door.

"Well he seems to have recovered," Scully comments quietly.

"Kids are resilient," Walter replies. "And I don't think he'll be running near the stairs again."

"Oh, he's mentioned that twice tonight," I reply with a somewhat nervous chuckle. I think all of us are still on edge from the near accident on the stairs. We all stand there for a few seconds lost in thought and then Walter breaks the silence.

"I'll see he gets washed up and into bed," he volunteers.

I wince at him a little.

"You sure...with that hip..."

"It's not that bad, really."

"Thank you, Walter," Scully nods, showing her fatigue in her body posture.

"Yeah, thanks big guy. We'll shower and come down to Charlie's room to say goodnight to him."

Walter gives us both a nod and heads off down the hallway. He's tired too, I can see it in the way his shoulders are sagging a little. It *has* been a long day for all of us. As Walter disappears into the kitchen I take Scully around the waist again.

"Come on, Dr. McCoy...time to drag our tired butts upstairs."

"We could use one of those transporters from Star Trek right now," Scully chuckles, resting her head against me.

"No kidding. Beam me up, Scotty," I agree as we slowly walk toward the stairs together.

xXx

"Da-deee. Da-deee! I hear Charlie's voice coming out of the baby monitor and I fight my way up through sleep. Through gummy eyelids I peer at the radio alarm clock and see it's 3 AM. He must be sick or having a nightmare, I think as I open my eyes and sit up.

"I'll check on him," I mumble. Walter doesn't stir from where he's sandwiched between Scully and me. Scully doesn't wake up either. I climb sleepily out of bed, and make my way across the dimly lit master suite, guiding myself with the light that shines through the partially open bathroom door. When I reach the bedroom door I pull it quietly open.

The hallway is dimly lit as well with a couple of night lights plugged into sockets along the wall. I peer ahead into the lights as I pad along, glancing down past my cock bumping lightly against my balls, down my pale, hairy legs to my feet gently slapping on the hard wood floor.

"Da-dee!" Charlie calls again...and I look up and think...something about his cry sounds wrong...something's...not...something's not right.

"Charlie?" I call anxiously, hurrying toward his room.

Just before I reach his door, I see a light coming out from under it. I see a red light...Christ...what...is that...what is that...light...is...that? The light changes from red to bright, blinding white. Oh no...oh...

"NO!" I yell, grabbing the doorknob. "CHARLIE!"

I pull and pull and the door won't budge. I yank and kick and then I pound screaming "SCULLY! WALTER! HELP ME! GOD...HELP...NO...PLEASE...DON'T TAKE MY SON!"

And finally I succeed in ripping the door open and the light's white, and then red and then white and then red and...Charlie's suspended over his big boy bed, his whole body in its Star Wars pjs bathed in brilliant white pulsing light...with thousands of wires running here, there and everywhere out of his mouth and eyes, and ears and nose and...every other orifice and I know...I know his eyes are pried open behind the helmet and he's screaming and screaming and Esther Nairn stands below him and laughs and laughs and...

"It's all right," she says laughing in my face. "We're just downloading him, Agent Mulder...downloading him...but his body's not going anywhere."

My mouth opens again but I can't scream...I can't...I can't....and then I can.

xXx

"Jesus Christ...Mulder!"

I wake up thrashing and screaming "NO!" at the top of my lungs. Walter, seemingly just awake himself and slightly disorientated grabs for my arms. Then he's holding me down, interposing himself between Scully and my kicking legs. My whole body heaves off the mattress as I come shouting up out of my nightmare.

"Mulder!' Scully cries out, sliding away from Skinner and my flailing arms.

For a few seconds I'm out of control, pummeling Walter hard and then I fall back, limp, sweating and panting. Scully gets out of bed and hurries around to the opposite side as Walter looks into my eyes.

"Are you awake?" he asks me anxiously, his eyes playing over my face.

"Yeah...yeah," I nod gulping for air. Christ...all that just from talking about an X-File? Or is this another instance of there being too much on my plate? A long day of moving furniture ending with seeing Charlie and Walter nearly injured in a fall dredged up Esther Nairn as my nightmare 'boogiewoman'? I give that dismal idea some thought as Scully sits down next to me. She brushes my hair back from my eyes. Skinner releases my wrists and I sit up, propping myself against the headboard. My hand swipes over my mouth.

"Jesus...I'm sorry," I mumble, laying my hands in my lap and looking down at them. Then I look up into Scully's eyes.

"God...I could have hurt you if Walter..."

"It's all right," Scully hastens to assure me, smoothing my forehead gently.

But suddenly a tremendous raw, hot rush of anger brought on by fear and depression courses through me. The realization that I could have hurt Scully badly if I'd hit or kicked her in the stomach fills me with self-disgust. I push her hand aside.

"No...it's not all right," I hiss, shaking Walter's hand off as well.

"Mulder..." he begins.

I work my way down past them and toward the edge of the bed.

"Mulder..." Scully protests as I scoot away from them both and slide my legs over the side of the mattress.

"I...I just have to be alone...please...just...leave me alone," I mumble, stumbling across the master bedroom in the half-dark, colliding with the edge of the dresser as I reach the bedroom door.

"Hey," Skinner calls in vain as totally naked, I pull the door open and exit.

xXx

"I thought you might want these," Skinner says as he finds me in the living room sitting on the couch in the dark.

He tosses my boxer briefs into my lap and then turns on the end table lamp. I stare dumbly at the briefs for a second before I look up at Skinner and into his glasses. He's wearing his BVDs and when I stop looking in his face, my nose is about level with his cock and balls. But I don't feel anything at taking in the bulge of his package at all. I feel numb and I can't get the idea that I could have hurt Scully as well as Walter's baby because I'm still having the fucking nightmares.

"And how about some light?" he suggests, tilting his chin at the lamp.

"So, did you win the coin toss?"

He frowns at me.

"You know...the coin toss to come down here."

"I know what you mean," he rumbles. "It was more like an arm wrestling contest with Scully. I outweigh her so I won."

"Cheap shot arm wrestling with a pregnant woman," I mumble, running my hand through my hair.

"At my age, I need every advantage I can get," he retorts dryly stepping to the side and sitting down next to me.

I stand up and pull on my underwear, sit back down and stare at the cold fireplace. After a moment Walter tentatively puts his arm around my shoulders and after a second, I shift into him. We sit there in silence for a while and I take comfort in feeling his warmth and measured, regular breathing against me. Finally Walter quietly speaks.

"When I was going to the Bethesda Sleep Disorder Center I used to wake up that same way...screaming and fighting."

"But you didn't have a pregnant woman sleeping next to you."

"She wasn't next to you, Mulder."

"You know what I mean. She was between us just the night before."

My reply is more clipped than I mean it to be and Skinner sighs.

"Tonight you were...exhausted...a lot had happened...the night before we made love...I think the circumstances were a little different. Besides, we've talked about this before and Scully's made her decision to stay in the bed. What do you want to do?"

"Hell...I don't know."

I sigh.

"Look...I can't say I know what it's like for you...but I know what my nightmares were like for me...they scared me shitless," Skinner replies. "So, I think you have to realize that's part of what you're feeling here...that fear brought on by..."

I push away from his side and look into his face.

"The thing that scared me the most was the idea I could have hurt Scully...that was more frightening than the fucking dream," I whisper, capturing his eyes.

He studies my face for a moment and then looks away, running his fingers up under his glasses to rub at his eyes.

"So what do you want to do...sleep in the attic for the next couple of months until she delivers?" he asks gruffly, lowering his hand. He turns to look at me again and this time I look away and stare off at the fireplace again.

"That might not be a bad idea."

"Mulder...do you think you can do that?" Skinner asks with a slight shake of his head. A ghost of a smile plays on his lips.

"Christ, Skinner. Now you sound like Allen Greenberg."

"Yeah, well...Bethesda must have exposed me to enough 'shrink' speak that it comes out once in a while."

I put my head in my hands and rock forward and back a couple of times.

"Walter, Walter, Walter...am I really that needy? Do I have to have Mommy and Daddy to tuck me in at night?" I whine in feigned embarrassment. Or maybe it's not really feigned discomfort at all. Maybe I'm serious in saying I need Walter as a father figure and Scully as a mother figure to cope right now. Shit...that's a disturbing fucking image under the circumstances.

Skinner clears his throat. The chuckle he wants to make is almost there but it doesn't quite come out. I sit up and lay my head on the back of the couch. He turns slightly and looks down at me, his face serious again.

"You know, Mulder...if anyone had told me even three years ago that I would be sitting here on a couch with a guy...not to mention my male lover...talking about anything but Nam or Bureau war stories, or what the fucking Redskins were doing...I would have told them they were crazy."

"Your point being?"

"My point being that it took me a while before I realized finally that there are more things to being a man than just scratching your balls and talking sports scores with the guys."

I chuckle a little.

"But you do both so well."

He smiles and shakes his head again. Then he looks down and gathers his thoughts. I wait patiently because I know he's being open and sincere now and God knows I can use his sage advice right now.

"Listen, Mulder. You probably know better than anyone that I've had issues about being in control for years. In command, chiefly over myself..." he begins quietly, looking up at me. His eyes study my face, asking for understanding in return.

"I know," I reply equally as quietly. "And I think you've always been at war with yourself over it. Whether you should give yourself permission to...to stay behind that wall of control or reach out and connect with anyone."

"Exactly. That war...that inability to reach out was one of the other things that wrecked my marriage...but I guess you know that too."

He pauses and looks down for a moment, studying his hand.

"I'm listening," I whisper.

He inhales, exhales and then looks up at me again.

"I think...I think somewhere deep inside, I believed that giving into my feelings...my need to connect was a submission of the worst kind...the kind that said I wasn't a man. Submission of that kind was a sign of weakness...and if I submitted to wanting someone in my life...someone to know the real me and love me for myself...that I wasn't...wasn't a man any longer because I couldn't suck it up and just take it quietly and soldier on alone...like my father essentially."

I look down and nod.

"And this is going to sound very odd...but I guess being under Alex Krycek's thumb taught me something. It taught me that even if you're not in control of your life you can still feel enough to care...and you can try to persevere and fight on...and you're not less of a man for admitting you're doing the best you can either."

"I don't think that sounds odd at all."

Skinner nods his head then too and gathers himself up, straightening decisively.

"At any rate...my point is...you're not any less of a man for wanting a family now, Mulder...for wanting love and stability...for wanting to be part of a whole instead of fragmented and alone, especially under the circumstances of what you've been through," he finishes quietly. I turn to him and look into his soft, brown eyes. "And I learned that lesson too along the way."

"Do you think I asked Scully to marry me so that I could bind her more closely to me...because she was having your baby?" I ask before I even realize I'm going to say it.

Skinner looks at me in confusion for a split second...as though he can't quite make the connection between what he just said and my question. Then awareness dawns on him and he shifts and rests his head on the back of the couch as well. He contemplates the ceiling for a few seconds before he answers.

"I'm not a psychologist, Mulder...but I'm assuming you've been discussing...that kind of issue with Dr. Greenspan along with the nightmares."

"Which would be the issue regarding my insecurity which is closely connected to the issue regarding my lack of self-worth," I reply glancing at him. He looks a bit uncomfortable at my words. "You can say it, Skinner...I'm rather proud that I can voice the words after only a few months of therapy."

He does chuckle then and I smile before I look away from him again.

"Have you discussed your burgeoning ego?" he rumbles.

Then I snort a chuckle as well before Walter continues.

"You want my honest opinion?"

"Yeah."

"Ok...for what it's worth...yeah...you probably did ask Scully to marry you out of insecurity. Does that make it wrong? No. Does it make you..."

"Yeah, I know...less of a man..." I grumble a bit.

"Well you asked for my honest opinion and you got it," he grumbles back.

I sigh.

"I know...and I appreciate it. Shit...I know you're right but..."

I pause trying to find the words to tell him sometimes I'm going to feel like pond scum and it's just something I have to work through.

He tilts his head over to look at me again. His brow is furrowed and I can tell from the tightness around his mouth that there's something else he wants to say but he's not sure he should say it.

"What?" I prompt.

"Mulder...you don't think you're less of a man because we're lovers do you? If our being together sexually is troubling you maybe we need to see the doctor together or..."

I smile gently and lay my hand on his thigh.

"Believe me, Walter...that has nothing to do with this situation. I've never regretted becoming your lover. Admitting I'm bisexual is something I worked out a long time ago. We don't need to go to marriage counseling."

He gives another small nod.

"I love you, Mulder. I don't want this to...to...well...you know."

My hand caresses his thigh and he turns to look at me again.

"I love you too," I mumble, reaching over to cup the back of his head. He smiles as I draw his mouth to mine but before I can press the kiss to his lips, a small sound at the living room sliding doors distracts us.

"Are you both all right?" Scully asks, one hand cradling her belly from underneath it. She's dressed in her soft gray robe and the pair of killer whale bedroom slippers I bought her as a gag gift a month ago. "I wondered what was going on when you didn't come back up for so long."

"Shit," Walter mumbles in comment, his warm breath tickling my lower lip.

"We shouldn't have talked so long," I reply, gently moving Skinner's head. I take my hand away and shift back. "I'm sorry, Scully...I didn't mean to worry you. You should be asleep."

"Yeah, I'm sorry we worried you too," Skinner adds.

"I can take a nap after church tomorrow if I need it," she gently chides as she walks forward. "But are you all right, Mulder? Do you want me to call Allen?"

Scully looks from me to Walter as she takes a seat next to me on the couch.

"No...I think 'Dr. Skinner' has administered the medicine I need right now."

I smile at her and pull her close, giving her a hug. "I'll tell you about it later. You should go back to bed."

"Are you sure? If you think you want to call Dr. Greenberg..." Skinner begins to add.

"No, really...I feel much better. I know why I had the nightmare...and I can deal with it," I reply with some confidence.

"All right, then come back upstairs," Scully replies, rubbing my side.

"About coming back to bed, Scully..."

"Don't tell me you're going to sleep on this couch," she replies with a look that says the last place she wants me sleeping is down here on the living room couch.

I clear my throat.

"I was going to make a suggestion about sleeping in the attic as a precaution. But I would imagine that idea might be met with resistance as well." Scully's expression tells me I'm certainly not wrong in that assumption either. "So...I'll concede the battle. But I insist that Walter plays 'monkey in the middle' until I can be sure I'm not going to have another nightmare...or until you deliver...whichever comes first. I categorically refuse otherwise. I will not take the chance unless there's some solid muscle between us, Scully."

"Scully...it's only common sense," Skinner interjects practically.

"I realize that," she replies, looking down. "I'm just trying to keep things as normal as possible because I think in the long run that will help all of us under the circumstances. When people are under a stress, sticking to a routine can help. Besides I love having you in the same bed, Mulder...I think all of us will sleep better if we keep the arrangement as it is now. It's familiar and...well it just feels better. You can't tell me you wouldn't have trouble sleeping alone in the attic."

I chuckle a little.

"Yeah...the subject did come up between Walter and me."

She looks at Walter.

"You're not going to get any argument from me...you're making perfect sense," he assures Scully gently.

"Ok, good. Now...let's go back to bed."

Scully gives a quick nod to affirm her words.

Walter gets up, going to Scully's opposite side in case she has trouble hoisting herself off the couch. By leaning on and then pushing off me she's able to get up quite successfully. I stand then as well and Walter turns off the end table light.

"You know what Scully?" I ask, giving her a smirk and then glancing at Skinner as he leaves the end table and joins us again.

"What?"

"I never imagined Walter as a bundling board, but now that I think of it..."

"I'll bundle your ass," Walter rumbles, slapping me on the butt with a chuckle.

I laugh.

"Bundle...that's an interesting term for it."

Walter rumbles another chuckle.

"Well I fully expect you to show me how interesting the next time we go there."

"You've got a deal," I grin at him.

Scully snakes her arm around my waist and gives me a squeeze as we exit the living room and head back upstairs.

xXx

Running water draws me out of sleep as my full bladder reacts to it and sends a signal to my brain that I need to get up and empty it. I make a small groan and roll over onto my back, my morning erection tenting the sheet over my loins. I feel next to me where I know Walter should be in the bed. He's not there and I raise one eyelid and peer around. Scully isn't there either and the bedside radio alarm clock says 11 o'clock. Shit. I'm missing Mass.

I raise up and then I hear Charlie's surprised voice in the bathroom as the water stops running.

"The gel is changing to floam!"

"Foam...and yes, it does. Then I put it on my face...on the beard stubble like this so I can shave the beard off," Walter answers him.

"Does the foam tickle?" Charlie asks.

"Not really...it feels good...it soothes my face...uh...makes it feel nice. Here...try some."

I hear Charlie giggle.

"It smells kinda like peppermint."

"Yeah, it does," Walter chuckles.

I get up and grab my robe, slinging it on quietly and belting it shut to cover up the fact I have a boner. I'm going to have to wait a while to take that leak. Hopefully my cock cooperates quickly by losing its morning perkiness. I wish I was half as awake. A smile plays about my mouth as I pad over to the partially open bathroom door and stand there for a moment watching my son and my male partner.

Charlie's sitting on the toilet seat wearing his Pokeman underpants and undershirt, and a dab of shaving cream on his nose, hence the giggle I expect. His hair's slightly damp, so someone must have seen to it that he got cleaned up. He's observing Walter where Skinner stands in front of the vanity mirror, a towel wrapped around his hips. Skinner's got his razor in hand and he's shaving his neck with efficient strokes. I use an electric razor and this is the first time Charlie has actually watched Walter shave with his Gillette Mach 3. He's fascinated as Skinner moves the razor over his skin.

"Will I get to shave some day?"

"Yes...when you're older...probably around Gibson's age. You'll start to grow a beard and then you can start shaving."

"Does Gibby shave?"

"I'm not sure. You'll have to ask him."

"When I shave I could use a...bzzzzzzz razor like Daddy."

"Electric razor?"

"Lectric...yes."

"Sure. I bet he'd like to show you how to use one."

"Why do you shave your beard off?"

Skinner shifts his jaw back and forth, sliding the razor up to reach a difficult spot.

"Because at the Bureau they prefer you to be clean shaven...to present an official and neat public appearance. It's the same reason I wear a suit when I go to work."

"Daddy calls it dress for...dress for..."

Charlie gets stuck on trying to remember and Walter finishes his thought for him.

"Success."

"Yes. Dress for success."

"That's as good a way to put it as any."

"But you're not going to work now."

"No...but I'm going to church later and I like to look nice there too. Besides...you just get into the habit of shaving I guess."

Charlie gives a sage nod.

"Did you ever grow a beard, Uncle Wall?"

"Once...in college. I looked like a grizzly bear. I had a lot more head hair back then too."

Charlie giggles and I walk into the bathroom. Charlie's head swivels over to look at me. Walter catches sight of me in the vanity mirror and smiles.

"Morning, Pikachu...Morning...Gentle Ben." I smirk at Walter in way of greeting as well.

"Daddy!" Charlie exclaims, jumping off the toilet and running over to grab me around the legs. I catch him before he can slam into my bobbing erection and pull him up into my arms. I wipe his nose clean with the sleeve of my robe.

"Who's Gentle Ben?" he asks looking from me to Walter.

"A grizzly bear that was just about as big as your Uncle Walter. Ben starred in a TV show. I think it's still on Nickelodeon in reruns. We'll have to see if we can find it sometime."

"Cool," Charlie comments, toying with the material of my robe.

"Did you really look like Gentle Ben, Walter?" I tease as Skinner scrapes at his cheek with the Mach 3.

"Mulder...I have what might be considered a weapon in my hand," he growls.

"He makes a noise like a bear, doesn't he, Charlie?"

Charlie giggles and Walter can't help but chuckle.

I give Charlie a hug and walk over to the toilet, setting him down on the seat again so he can watch. My bladder's getting pretty insistent and I can at last feel my erection starting to subside. I'm just going to suggest I'll go down the hall to the guest bathroom to take a piss so they can finish up in here when Walter speaks again.

"Scully went to Mass. Maggie called and asked her to lunch so she's going to do that afterwards. She didn't want to wake you...and neither did I."

I nod.

"Yeah...I'm grateful you both didn't...I needed the sleep. She ok?"

"Oh yeah...she was feeling fine this morning."

"You ok?"

"Oh yeah...I'm 5 by 5 too," Skinner replies giving me a quick smile.

Walter finishes his right cheek and goes on to the left. I watch his hand move the razor confidently over his craggy jaw. Charlie runs his tongue along the inside of his jaw in concentration as his eyes follow Walter's stroke.

"You doing the Unitarian thing then?"

"Yeah, I'm going to the 1 o'clock service. Scully said you could go to the 1 o'clock Mass if you woke up in time. But, if not...she's sure God and Father Callahan would both understand if you skipped a Sunday."

"Yeah...and there's always confession," I chuckle.

"I'm going to church with Uncle Wall!" Charlie declares proudly.

I raise an eyebrow and look at Walter's reflection. He shrugs a little.

"We did talk about exposing him to our different beliefs."

I pat Charlie on the head.

"Yeah...that's fine. Did Mom put out your suit?"

"Yes, sir," Charlie answers.

"Great. Well listen you guys...I need to uh...use the toilet so I'll go down to the guest bathroom and let Uncle Walter get on with it here. Charlie...you'd better go get dressed. I'll be in to help you in a minute."

"Okie Dokie," Charlie chirps, sliding off the toilet seat. He trots out of the bathroom.

"Thanks for letting me sleep, Skinner...really. It helped a lot," I tell Walter as I walk over and come up behind him. I snake my hands around his waist and kiss him on the back of the neck.

"No problem."

He smiles at me and reaches a hand down to squeeze my right arm.

"You gonna go to Mass?"

"Yeah...I'll try to make it. Are you and Charlie going to eat lunch on the way?"

"Oh yeah...I've already agreed to McDonalds."

I laugh and unwrap my arms from around his waist.

"I'll join you. I can be ready fast enough."

"Sounds like a plan to me," Skinner replies, smiling again.

"Hey...and we're on for the Redskins later, right?" I ask, seeking to confirm our usual Sunday afternoon ritual.

"Oh, yeah. Charlie's made sure I didn't forget we were all going to watch the game," Skinner replies with a chuckle. I smile.

"Great. Ok...I'm outta here then."

I turn to leave and Skinner speaks, drawing my attention back to him.

"Mulder?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad you stayed in the bed. It felt good to have you at my back, lover," he replies quietly, looking down for a moment. When he looks back up I give him a wide smile of true pleasure.

"Yeah...it felt good for me too."

He nods and goes back to shaving and I exit the bathroom, my step light and the smile lingering on my face.

Back to Part 1
Go to Part 3