TITLE: A Bedtime Story

NAME: frogdoggie

E-MAIL: frogdoggie@hotmail.com

CATEGORY: SRA, M/SK/SC. Warning - graphic sexual content of a threesome nature. Slash, m/m sex as well. Be forewarned.

RATING: NC-17

SUMMARY: An "I Want to Believe" list challenge entry set shortly after, and in the same universe as my story, "I Heard the Roar of Thunder". You might want to read that story in order to follow what's going on in this one. You can read it here: https://www.squidge.org/3wstop

FEEDBACK - YES PLEASE, AND THANK YOU SIR, CAN I HAVE ANOTHER? Comments, suggestions and healthy debate are always welcome. Flames? They only serve to warm me, body and soul.

ARCHIVE: Sure. Anywhere - as long as my name and e-mail addy stay on it.

TIMESPAN/SPOILER WARNING. Post-colonization, I guess. Everything up to and including Requiem. This is a Doggett free universe.

KEYWORDS: story romance angst Mulder Scully Skinner Krycek Marita NC-17

DISCLAIMER: Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, Walter Skinner, Alex Krycek, Marita Covarrubias and all other X-Files characters belong to Chris Carter, Ten-Thirteen Productions and 20th Century FOX Broadcasting. No copyright infringement is intended and no profit is being made from their use. Quote from Stellaluna copyright 1993 by Janell Cannon. No infringement intended and no profit is being made from the quote either.

*Author's notes at the end regarding the challenge ingredients.

A Bedtime Story

by frogdoggie

//Stellaluna swooped about, grabbing her friends in the air. She lifted them to a tree, and the birds grasped a branch. Stellaluna hung from the limb above them.

"We're safe," said Stellaluna. Then she sighed. "I wish you could see in the dark, too."

"We wish you could land on your feet," Flitter replied. Pip and Flap nodded.

They perched in silence for a long time.

"How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" mused Flitter.

"And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?" wondered Pip.

"I think this is quite a mystery," Flap chirped.

"I agree," said Stellaluna. "But we're friends. And that's a fact."//

 xXx

"The end."

I close Stellaluna's cover and place the book in my lap. It's not hard for me to contemplate how the words of the children's book so aptly fit the relationship between Scully, Skinner and myself at this juncture in our lives together. How we're friends first and foremost...but so much more...and how good it feels to be a part of what we have together.

But my contemplation of how the book relates to myself and my life partners lasts only a moment as the small individual next to me makes himself known by snuggling closer and bumping my thigh with his knee.

Charlie looks from me to the book, staring at it entranced for a moment. Then our son laughs, rolling over onto my stomach.

"Read more! More Stel-la-lu-na!" he crows, grabbing eagerly at the picture of the fruit bat on the dustjacket.

I marvel not for the first time over the last few days how Charlie's vocabulary is growing and his articulation improving. He's a bright 2 year old. Yes, the kid's smart, no doubt about it. I guess the combination of Mulder and Scully genes wasn't a bad mix at all.

"Oh no, young man...it's 8 o'clock. You'll not get another reading tonight. It's time to go to bed," Scully informs him as I chuckle.

"Ah come on, Mom...one more time," I tease, giving Scully a smirk.

"More bats, Mom," Charlie nods emphatically.

"Mulder...can I have a little back-up here, please? You've already read it twice...not to mention the fact you've read almost all Charlie's Christmas book gifts to him. It's only December 28th. Don't you want to save some of the 'good stuff' for later?" Scully replies, eyebrows raising.

"Yeah, but you like bats, dontcha Charlie? You like all those night creatures and Halloween type things, right?" I suggest giving Charlie a wink.

I'm stretching his bedtime out, I know it. But it's fun...and we've all had such a great time snuggling on the bed together over the book tonight I'm reluctant to end the magic of the moment. As Charlie chirps an answer, the chirp of a cell phone sounds downstairs as if in imitation of his high pitched voice. The phone's picked up and I can hear Skinner's voice, muffled by distance as he answers it.

"Spooky!" Charlie agrees, giggling and nodding. He touches the book again and traces Stellaluna's wings with his fingers. My concentration is drawn back to him and then to Scully as she comments.

"Oh brother," Scully sighs, rolling her eyes. "I wonder where he picked up that particular part of his vocabulary? And next I bet you'll be reading him the collected works of Charles Addams."

I chuckle again. Scully is trying to stay serious. Her attempt to smother her smile as long as she can is making me dangerously close to laughing hard.

"Yeah, well you know...I think a few 'Addams Family' titles were on the list of books I gave the Gunmen as a gift reference."

"Ringo," Charlie chimes in, looking up at me with a smile.

For some inexplicable reason, Charlie has taken a special liking to Langly. I think maybe it's his hair. Our son likes to yank on it and since Ringo shows a surprising tolerance at the abuse maybe that's why Charlie likes him so much.

"Speaking of Langly...I'm going to have to have a word with him. I don't think 'My Life as a Ramone' by Joey Ramone was exactly appropriate

reading material for a two year old."

"Hey...Joey Ramone was a genius."

"Hickey, Byes, Gibby...more books?" Charlie asks, his intelligent blue eyes dancing as he looks from Scully to me.

"Yeah, all the guys will probably be buying you some more books," I assure Charlie as Scully gently rests her hand on his head.

"Books!" he replies enthusiastically, clapping his hand on the cover of Stellaluna.

"You really love your books, don't you?" Scully whispers, smoothing his auburn hair back from his forehead. She smiles tenderly down at him and then looks up at me. "Just like your father," she adds, her eyes showing their love for me.

I smile wide at her and bend over to deliver a quick kiss on her lips.

"Mom's no slacker when it comes to the books either, you know," I murmur in her ear just before I pull back. "Especially writing them."

She smiles modestly, looking down and giving Charlie's hair a quick ruffle.

"Come on, hon. You really do have to go to bed," she says.

"Nah!" he complains, sticking out his lower lip.

Scully gives me a significant look.

"I see his love of books isn't the only thing Charlie gets from his father."

I reach over and give a gentle 'chuck' with my finger under Charlie's pout.

"Hey...stick it back in, buddy. Your mom's right. I have to give her some back-up on this one. You need to hit the hay."

Charlie wiggles a little bit more and then gives out an exaggerated sigh.

"K," he finally assents.

"That's my boy," Scully compliments him, kissing him on the cheek.

"Atta boy, champ," I offer with a smile and a quick tickle to Charlie's side. As he giggles I mumble an aside. "And I'd have to say that was a Scully family sigh if I ever heard one."

Scully gives me a shove in the ribs and I laugh. Then she tickles Charlie too and he giggles harder. We all tussle for a few moments just enjoying the rough and tumble of the physical contact. Finally we cease and desist and Charlie yawns wide.

"Come on, slugger, let's see if we can pull Uncle Walter off the phone for a minute so you can say goodnight to him too," Scully suggests, lifting Charlie off my gut where he ended up sprawling. "Ooph, you're getting heavy," she laughs, juggling his 'jammie' outfitted butt into her arms.

"Unca Wall, Unca Wall!" Charlie exclaims looking towards the bedroom doorway.

"Charles, my man. Did I miss the story?"

Walter saunters in, the sleeves of his soft forest green Henley rolled up and his denim clad legs carrying him confidently forward.

"Two readings of it, I'm afraid," Scully replies, lifting Charlie so that Walter can take him from her.

"Yeah, I was kind of looking forward to you doing the voice of Stellaluna."

I give Walter a smart-ass grin and he gives me the finger over Scully's shoulder where Charlie can't see him do it. I laugh and scoot to the edge of the bed, the book in hand.

Charlie buries his face in Walter's neck and hugs him. Skinner's face goes all soft like it always does around the kid. He hugs Charlie back. Charlie's practically the DD's son as well anyway for all intents and purposes. And the toddler really loves him, that much is obvious.

Skinner plants a light kiss on the boy's head and strokes his hair.

"I'm sorry, Charlie. Next time we have a date with 'Horton Hears a Who', I promise."

"Horton," Charlie nods, smiling. Then he kisses Walter on the neck.

Skinner's jaw works for a moment with emotion. He clears his throat after a few seconds.

"Definitely Horton, buddy," Skinner murmurs as he hugs Charlie tight.

The room's silent as Scully and I take a couple of minutes to enjoy Skinner and Charlie's sweet expression of love for each other. I clasp Scully's hand and give it a squeeze. She smiles up at me.

"Uh...you'd better take him to bed. We need to talk," Skinner finally advises, motioning towards Scully.

"You have news, I take it?" I reply as Scully extricates Charlie from Skinner's embrace.

"Yeah," he nods.

Scully looks from me to Skinner and nods as well.

"Ok. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Walter nods at her and I get up, going to Scully where she holds Charlie in her arms.

"Night, son. Sweet dreams," I tell him, patting him on the butt a little.

"Night, Charlie," Skinner rumbles waving at him.

Charlie waves back at Walter and then at me, smiling a little sleepily now. The late hour is catching up with him at last. Scully gathers him close and exits the room. Skinner shuts the door behind her.

"So...is Alex's ass out of the frying pan and into the fire?" I ask, tossing the book onto the nightstand next to the baby monitor.

Skinner barks a terse laugh.

"The bastard has nine lives. He's safe...at least for now. Marita's safe too."

I sit down in the rocking chair in front of the bedroom windows and Skinner walks over and seats himself on the edge of the bed. My head turns and I reach over and pull the curtain aside. My attention focuses out the window into the darkness of the cold Maine night.

The windows cover one whole side of the bedroom. I've come to appreciate the view they give us, even at night. I might even say that I love this view. Ever since the night I first woke in this house, slept in this bed, sat and watched Scully nurse our baby son in this room, I've had a special fondness for the sight of the beach and sea from this vantage point.

As I watch the surf crashing under the full moon I ponder how Christmas in Crossroads and a much needed week long getaway for us between Christmas and New Year's seemed like a good idea. Too bad Alex 'fucking' Krycek had to interrupt it.

"You know, Skinner...I thought this week away was going to be relaxing. I could kick Krycek's ass for making you work through it."

"Mulder...let it go. All of us have done what we had to do. It wasn't just me busting my hump."

"I still can't believe he let himself get suckered into this CIA thing. I mean the Russian Mafia? And here we all are breaking our necks and losing sleep in order to help him out...again. Jesus..." I fume, yet one more in a string of many gripes I've uttered in the last 72 hours or so.

"As I recall...he did a little helping of his own in Tunisia."

Walter's quiet words aren't meant to sting, only to interject some perspective but they anger me anyway.

"Fuck you," I mumble, flipping the curtain shut.

Skinner shifts on the bed and I hear him get up. In a moment he's standing behind me, his large hands kneading my shoulders.

"Relax, buddy," he suggests, his voice a soft purr.

"You weren't any less tense the other night, Deputy Director 'Don't give me that shit just do it' Skinner."

"That was the other night. This is now. Look...I know things are...difficult between the FBI and CIA at the moment...but Jim Brock's a good man. He knows his agents fucked up and compromised Krycek. He's going to do the right thing. The new men he's assigned and my agents will do whatever they can. And you and Scully put the Gunmen in the loop. They've got resources I still don't have a clue about. We just have to wait and have confidence they can all help get Krycek and Marita out."

I let my head fall forward on my chest as Walter massages me.

"Sometimes I still want to punch Alex's lights out. I don't know why I even agreed to make peace with him."

When I voice the thought my mind flies back to an atypically cold night shortly after Halloween when the doorbell of the townhouse rang and Alex Krycek and Marita Covarrubias officially came back into our lives. All three of us stood in the doorway in the harsh glow of the porch light, obviously at a loss as to what to say to each other for a moment. Then I recall Krycek's first words to me and still shake my head in skeptical amazement.

"I've told you twice, Mulder...I didn't kill your father," he said. "Now...will you please let us in...we're freezing our asses off out here."

As I reined in my anger at the time, I thought...at least he said 'please'.

His reconciliation with all of us is ongoing...and it's been a bumpy road needless to say.

Skinner sighs a little but when he speaks it's with understanding.

"I'm not going to lie and say Alex is my favorite person either, Mulder. Where Krycek's concerned...I struggle with the animosity I feel for him too. I don't know if I can overcome it...I...ah, fuck it...maybe I'm getting old...but for whatever reason, I feel like I don't want to carry that hate for him in my heart any longer. I feel a need to bury the hatchet...and not in Krycek's head for a change. At least I've got the urge to meet him halfway and see where the chips fall."

I shrug under his hands.

"He makes it damn difficult. Besides our collective history...he can still act like such a prick. He should have his head examined for putting Marita in danger for one thing," I whisper glancing up at Walter. "I mean, hell...she's expecting his kid."

Skinner stops kneading and rests his hands on my shoulders. His touch feels good...comforting.

"Krycek's an adrenaline addict, Mulder. A danger junkie. It's all about the rush for him. I don't know if that's going to change because Marita's pregnant. I think that's something for him and Marita to work out on their own anyway."

I look down and shrug again. Then I shake my head half in bemusement and half in annoyance. "Marita's got to be one patient woman to put up with that sack of shit."

Marita's dealings with the conspiracy turned out to be less onerous than Krycek's so I guess reconciling with her has been a bit easier. Rapprochement was much easier for Scully at least. She and Marita seemed to form a tentative bond of sorts when Marita and Alex surfaced in the States again. I think the fact that Marita is facing motherhood under less than ideal circumstances has strengthened that bond.

"Scully accepts her..." Skinner breathes out. His voice hesitates. His thought is obviously incomplete as he rubs at the base of my neck. He slowly stops the motion of his hands and I feel him looking down at me. I look up at him.

"You were going to say 'Scully accepts her more', weren't you?"

Walter does that jaw flex thing that he does when he's going to dissemble on an answer. I look away from his eyes and out the window. "Do you think it's wrong for me to have this hatred for Krycek in *my* heart, Walter? Is it wrong to still distrust him and Marita even now? People change...hell...we've changed..." I let my voice trail off. Walter reaches up and his caress on my cheek moves my head back so that he captures my eyes again.

"I think the hurt runs deep, Mulder...for all of us. We all have to deal with it in our own way. To be honest, I believe Krycek's a realist. He probably knows the risks in reconciliation as well as those in everything else. Consequently, I don't think he expects a bed of roses here right away...if at all. We should all just give it time. Things are going to shake out wherever they shake out."

As is often the case, Walter's words help to settle me somewhat. He's right...fate, or that higher power that I'm beginning to feel I can call God will decree the result here. Krycek and Marita will live or die in Russia...if they live I think they'll make it back here...and after that...we'll just have to take it a day at a time.

I nod at Walter.

"Thanks," I answer simply, laying my hand on his where it rests on my shoulder again.

Both our heads swivel over as Scully opens the bedroom door. She starts to speak before she looks at us.

"Sorry...Charlie took some time to settle down. He's sound asleep now though and..." When her eyes take us in at last, her voice fades and she's quiet for a second. When she resumes addressing us, her brow is furrowed slightly. "Does this mean good or bad news?" she asks, indicating where Walter's fingers are entwined with mine. She shuts the door quietly.

I indicate that she should sit down. She moves gracefully to the bed and sits where Walter had been seated earlier. Despite her grace, Scully's still tense as she watches Walter. Skinner gives my shoulder a squeeze and moves over to sit beside her.

"Krycek and Marita are in an FBI safe house in Vladivostock," he informs her, stretching a little as he sits down.

Scully relaxes and lets out a relieved sigh.

"Oh good. I thought the call must have been about them from your expression earlier. I was preparing for the worst, I guess."

"No, it's ok. Marita's fine. Except for a torn tendon in his foot, Krycek's fine too. He must be all right because Marita said he was bitching up a storm because they were down to one Percocet for the pain. The Gunmen arranged to smuggle some more painkillers in for him. We're probably going to have to arrange for him to have surgery on his foot when he gets Stateside, but otherwise they're doing well under the circumstances."

"If he gets Stateside," I mumble.

"Is there any doubt that will happen?" Scully asks Skinner.

He runs his hand over the back of his neck before he answers.

"My gut feeling is they're going to get out, yeah. I trust the team I sent and I think we can rely on Jim Brock and his men. The Gunmen are a given too. I don't see why the extraction won't be a success," Skinner answers carefully.

"Extraction...as in bad tooth. Yeah, that sounds like Krycek," I reply, not even bothering to hide my contempt.

In the back of my mind I know I'm probably being unreasonable and argumentative. My logical mind is yelling at me to curb my anger and snide remarks. But my heart is warring with my head right now. I'm still resentful of Krycek on so many levels, the least of which is the fact that he's screwed our vacation six ways to Sunday.

"Mulder..." Scully sighs.

"Are you really worried about him, Scully?" I ask, my question almost a demand for her loyalty to me and my views rather than just a mere inquiry. "Or are you more concerned with Marita and the baby? Inquiring minds want to know."

Skinner fixes me with a glare.

"Come on, Mulder...give it a fucking rest," he growls. His words bring me up short. I know I've pushed it too far as I look from his tight face to the wounded expression in Scully's eyes.

I sigh and pinch the skin on the bridge of my nose.

"Shit...I'm sorry," I murmur, shaking my head. "Really...Dana...I'm so sorry," I add taking my hand away. The contrite expression on my face is aimed squarely at Scully.

Scully looks down at her hands.

"Mulder...we're all going to have to deal with Krycek and Marita in our own way. But Marita's unborn baby isn't at fault here. Of course I'm worried about the baby...and I'm worried about Marita as well.

Her answer is tightly controlled and I can tell that she's angry as well as hurt.

"I know, and I understand and sympathize, really. And Walter, I apologize to you too. Scully...he said the same thing about each of us having to deal with this situation in our own way and I get that point too," I assure her, nodding.

"All right," Scully whispers, giving me a furrowed brow.

"Ah hell," I sigh, knowing I've really put my foot in things here. "Look...forget it, all right? I'm being a jerk and I know it. I'm just...well I guess I'm just jealous that Krycek's monopolized practically half our week together. I was hoping to relax more and it's putting me in a foul mood. However, being jealous is both selfish and childish so I really feel like a shit and I don't blame you for being angry and hurt by what I said."

"We're all stressed out," Skinner interjects, looking to mediate. "What with working on the book, having Scully's family here for Christmas and now this with Krycek and Marita, I'll be the first to admit it's been counterproductive to relaxation. I think it's got us all wound up tight."

"Agreed." Scully brings her head back up. "Let's just...let's take your suggestion and table this discussion for now. Everyone's done all they can. It's out of our hands beyond this point anyway."

"Exactly," Skinner rumbles, his face growing calm again. "All we have to do now is wait for the outcome. We might as well try to have a good time through New Year's and..."

Skinner hesitates to finish his sentence. His eyes shift away for a split second and before he can continue I finish his thought for him. I had a hunch what he was going to say. I think I'm probably right about that hunch...and in any event, I'll certainly find out.

"You can go ahead and say 'hope for the best'," I reply. "Because yeah...I hope they get out too," I reply with a weary smile. If for no other reason, I think, so I can finally face Alex and settle matters between us once and for all one way or the other.

Scully straightens up and her demeanor is less tense. She gives me a small smile.

"Does this mean you're sticking your lip back in too?"

I chuckle and run my hand through my hair. The tension in the room is rapidly dissipating.

"What?" Skinner asks, with a bewildered half-chuckle.

"Scully's alluding to the fact that Charlie and I pout alike. In the spirit of contrition here, I'll admit that she's right. And I'll vow to cut it out too...in the spirit of enjoying ourselves for what's left of the evening."

A smile plays over Skinner's mouth but he wisely doesn't comment on my confession.

"Well...speaking of getting into the *spirit* of enjoying ourselves. I do happen to have a little something I was saving as a New Year's surprise...but maybe this is a better time to unveil it," he suggests, rising from his seat on the bed.

"Oh?" Scully asks, raising an eyebrow. I raise both of mine and watch as Skinner keeps his face carefully neutral. Once again I'm reminded never to play poker with this man.

"Yeah," he nods. "Why don't you two make yourselves comfortable and I'll go get it."

Scully and I both glance at each other. I can tell she's consumed with curiosity as much as I am.

"O-K," I breathe out. "I'll bite...go get it."

"I'll second that," Scully replies with an amused twitch of her lips.

Skinner tries to cover his grin as he saunters off towards the bedroom door.

"Be back in a few minutes," he informs us before he exits. He suddenly resembles the cat that ate the canary as he walks out the door and shuts it behind him. So much for that much vaunted poker face, I think.

Scully and I both meet each other's eyes again, a questioning look clear on both our faces. Then we laugh.

"This should be interesting," she surmises, getting up and extending her hand to me.

"I'd say so," I comment, my raised eyebrows now taking in her fingers as I reach out and toy with them. "Now...did you have something in mind in regards to getting comfortable?" I add, my voice suggesting I'm open to just about anything as I take her hand completely in mine.

"Shower?" Scully suggests, her eyes growing mischievous.

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness," I quip.

She gives me a roll of her eyes and then pulls me up out of the chair. We both laugh again and walk hand in hand into the master bathroom.

xXx

The warm water flows down over my back as I stand behind Scully, my left hand on her left hip. I take my cock in my right hand and work the head between her folds. Once I'm inside her a little, I grip her hips and start to thrust slowly forward. Her head tilts up, her neck arching in pleasure.

"Oh God...I love that," she sighs, lowering and then turning her head slightly to look around as I enter her. She's bent over, her hands braced against the farther wall so she's mostly out of the shower spray.

"What?" I pant, looking down between us to see myself sliding in, inch by slow inch.

"That slow thrust in. It's incredible."

"It's great for me too," I reply, clenching my teeth together at the sensation of Scully's tight warmth gradually enfolding my swollen cock.

After a few seconds I'm in as far as I can go. I can just see the ring of the rubber outside her vulva. I drape myself forward over her back and nuzzle her neck.

"I'm really sorry for earlier," I whisper, kissing the back of her ear. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"I know. It's like Walter said...we've all been wound up too tight. And besides...this is one hell of an apology."

The last of her statement is said with a throaty chuckle. I kiss her hard on the back of the neck and raise up off her. We start to move languidly together then, rocking gently in a nice, leisurely fuck.

For a few minutes there's no other sound but our harsh breathing and the water spraying down my spine and over my ass. When Scully speaks I lean over slightly to hear her.

"You know, Mulder..." Scully sighs as my thighs slide against her ass.

"Hmm?" I pause, buried deep inside her.

"I know we've been talking about having another baby..."

I caress her hips and bend closer, kissing between her shoulder blades.

"Yeah, I said I wouldn't mind having a little brother or sister for Charlie. That would be great," I murmur, shifting my weight so I can reach around for Scully's clit. My damp fingers tease over her mons until I find my target. Scully wiggles as I rub my finger over her engorged flesh.

"Good?" I whisper.

"Oh yes," she whispers, rolling her hips sensuously as I circle my finger over her.

"So...do you want me to pull out and take off the rubber," I ask, panting a little as her vaginal muscles flutter over my cock. Then they clamp down like a vice and I grunt with pleasure.

"Oh!" she exclaims, her orgasm taking both of us by surprise. I chuckle and rub the right side of her clit hard and fast the way I know she likes it as Scully shudders under me.

She's silent, her muscles tensing for a moment and then she relaxes against my thighs, breathing hard.

"God, Mulder," she laughs reaching down and stopping my finger.

"That was a surprise," I reply, my voice rough with my own arousal. "But I like that kind of surprise."

She chuckles slightly and I move my hand back to her hip. Getting a firm hold on both her hips, I begin to slowly rock against her again.

"I love you," I murmur, watching my cock sink into her.

"I love you too," she sighs.

"I wouldn't mind trying for a baby right now," I pant slightly, pushing into her a little faster. She gasps, rotating her hips back into me.

"Wait," she breathes. I still my thrusts.

"OK. Hang on...I'll pull out."

"No...I mean...don't pull out," she replies breathlessly.

"What?"

I gasp the question as my cock sends a spasm of desire through me. I can't help thrusting forward again.

"Mulder...what do you think about Walter fathering my next child?" she whispers.

My hands tighten on her hips as I pull back and plunge into her.

"Are...you...serious?" I exhale explosively, snorting a laugh which is half a strangled gasp as my cock goes into her up to my balls.

"Yes," she states, stopping her rocking motion against me.

My thrusting comes to a complete standstill at that point. I inhale slowly and then exhale, absorbing her words. The first thing that flies through my mind is the assertion that after all these years, Scully can totally floor me...I mean just zing me with an unexpected line of thought. In a way it's exciting...but it's also a bit of a shock and right now it's making my mind reel. I'm surprised that a hot spike of jealousy stabs through me. I know I need to answer her but for a few seconds my mind refuses to wrap itself around her request or deal with the idea I could object to what she wants in this area in any way.

"Mulder?" Scully prompts.

I clear my throat, reach back and hold the condom tight against my cock as I pull out. She turns around and her eyes search my face.

"Oh...I...I'm sorry I..." she starts to whisper. Her hand reaches out and rests on my chest. With the contact of her gentle touch I snap out of my reverie. Glancing down I'm rather awed and somewhat proud to see my hard-on is still in evidence under the current state of affairs.

"No...no...it's ok," I hasten to assure her. "I...I just didn't expect...I didn't think... um..." Before I can say anything else, a large shadow appears outside the shower door. Both of us turn our heads as the door slides open and Walter stands there, splendidly naked, his tanned skin slightly damp from the humidity the shower has generated in the bathroom.

"Mind if I join the party?" he asks, smiling. "I got a little delayed by of all things, some blasted telemarketer. I'm glad the phone didn't wake up Charlie, and..." He stops talking and his smile fades when he takes in the look on our faces. "What's wrong?" His brow furrows.

"Hey...nothing," I smile, giving Scully a caress on the arm. "Really."

"Maybe we'd better have another talk," she replies quietly, giving both me and

Walter a game smile.

xXx

"You want me to have a baby with you?" Walter asks quietly, staring at Scully. His expression is more than a little stunned.

"Yes," Scully answers, watching his face carefully. "I want you to be the father of my next child."

Besides the uniqueness of our conversational topic, this entire scene is somewhat surreal. All of us are dry, but naked for one thing. And despite our lack of attire, we're all deadly serious about the discussion. We're seemingly ignoring our state of undress for the sake of the gravity of the situation.

I'm sitting in the rocking chair again, sans condom and quite flaccid now...and Scully's seated on the bed once more. Skinner stands over by the low dresser, leaning against it, his corded arms crossed over his muscular chest. A bottle of wine, obviously his surprise, a corkscrew, three glasses and a plate of crackers and Brie cheese are all carefully placed on the dresser in a spot he must have cleared for them before he came into the bathroom earlier.

"I...well...I'm honored," he replies, looking down. He may be honored but he also appears decidedly flummoxed. Scully sags a little and her brow furrows even more deeply than it's already furrowed. When she speaks, her voice is very subdued.

"Maybe...maybe I should have thought about this a little longer," she begins. "If both of you find the idea bothersome or awkward...maybe it's a bad one."

Skinner's head comes up and his lips part, but before he can answer I rise from the chair. I cross to Scully and sit down next to her on the bed. My hands entwine with hers. Skinner remains silent as he watches us.

"Scully...don't think that way. I know...I know how much having Charlie meant to you. And although the prospect of fatherhood scared the shit out of me I wouldn't trade being Charlie's dad for anything in the world now. I don't have any problem with you having another baby."

Scully responds in the same small voice.

"But Walter being the father is a problem?"

"I didn't say that," I reply earnestly. "I know I acted shocked earlier. I guess I was a little. I even felt a bit jealous," I add, glancing at Skinner. His expression is now carefully neutral but I think I detect a slight raise of an eyebrow. I shrug and refocus on Scully.

"I want to avoid anything like that, Mulder. I value what we all have together very much and I don't want to ruin it by doing anything that will cause animosity between us," Scully answers, looking from me to Walter and then back to me again.

"I understand," I reply gently.

Scully studies my face and continues.

"I've given this a lot of consideration. I know there will be social and legal issues to sort out. God...dealing with my family alone's going to be a lesson in diplomacy. You'll have to deal with the Bureau, Walter. There's school and the publicity the book will generate for Mulder and me. We'll need to plan for all that as well as financially for another child. I've thought about the big issues and the smaller ones too. I've even thought of what we'll have to say to Mrs. Carstairs in regards to taking care of another baby while we're teaching. I tried to plan everything out...but I guess I dropped the ball on what you both might truly think about the idea."

My hands gently caress hers as I answer.

"The idea was just a little awkward for me at first, that's all. I think...well...I just assumed given the fact we were making love when you mentioned having another baby that..."

Scully chuckles a little in self-deprecation, and I stop talking.

"Well, I guess that wasn't the best moment to bring the subject of Walter being the father up. I suppose this is my turn to apologize," she interrupts. "Chalk the inappropriateness of broaching the subject to fatigue, or stress or raging hormones after talking to Marita about her pregnancy or..."

"Scully...you don't have to apologize or make excuses," Skinner rumbles from his spot next to the dresser. "I'm serious about it being an honor." He pauses for a moment, clears his throat a little and continues, his voice somewhat rough with emotion. "Dana...I love you. I never thought...I...oh hell...I don't know what to say."

Skinner stops and looks down, clearly overcome for a moment. I feel my own throat tighten with emotion.

Scully exhales a little.

"I love you both so much," she replies, her voice thick with the tears that threaten to well up in her eyes. "And I'm not getting any younger, gentleman," she adds with a rueful snort, trying for some levity to quell her urge to cry. "I'd just like to try for another baby and having one with Walter made so much sense here..."

Her voice fades out as she touches her heart.

I let go of one of her hands and wrap my arm around her shoulders, hugging her close.

"Yeah...it makes sense to me too," I whisper. I kiss her head and then look up at Skinner where he watches us. He's wiping at his eyes with the back of his hand. My smile is met with a tentative one from him. He quickly ceases the scrubbing motion across his eyes and walks over to sit on Scully's other side.

I remove my arm and he places his over her shoulders and hugs her.

"Whatever you want to do is fine with me," he whispers. "We'll all handle the details. We can take care of the legal and financial stuff. As for the social angle...people are just going to have to deal with the fact I have a child with you, that's all. It'll work out."

Scully looks up at Walter and he moves in, kissing her tenderly. I place my hand on his back and give him a light pat.

When they part, Scully clears her throat.

"Can...can you both excuse me for a minute?" she asks, gesturing towards the bathroom.

"Sure," I reply. Skinner nods and removes his arm from around her.

Scully rises and we both watch her as she gracefully walks into the bathroom and shuts the door behind her. I've thought it before so many times, but I can't help but think it again...she's so beautiful. Becoming a mother has made her more rounded in places, more voluptuous. She's just glorious.

Skinner's voice draws me away from contemplating Scully.

"You were right about Charlie being important to her," he says, his voice a little gruff. "When she was searching for you...when things were bad and she was close to giving up hope, the thought she was going to give birth to your baby was one of the things that kept her going."

"She's told me that, Walter. And I still can't thank you enough for supporting and watching over her."

He gives me a curt nod.

"I'm not going to lie to you. Having a child with her is something I've dreamed about since the first night we made love. Sharon and I...well Sharon never wanted kids and I did. I think it was one of the things that wrecked our marriage."

"I'm sorry," I mumble.

"So...I'd really like to give this a shot. But...are you sure you're ok with it, Mulder?" he replies gravely. I turn and capture his eyes. He searches my face. "Because if you're not...well...I can only echo what Scully said about valuing what we have here. I don't want to fuck this up either."

I put my arm around him.

"I'm not gonna lie either, Walter. For a minute in that shower when she brought up the subject, there was a serious manifestation of the green-eyed monster. But...you...you have to understand why I...that I..."

"Mulder...don't worry about it. We've had that conversation before. You don't have the corner on self-doubt or on feeling unworthy either. I've been there too. All I care about is that we're on the same page here. If I'm going to father a child with Scully I want to have your blessing because I love you too and I don't want anything to come between us."

I nod and smile at him.

"Yeah, I'm really ok with it," I answer simply. "You're already a great second dad to Charlie. Now you'll have a little bambino of your own to spoil."

Skinner snorts and shakes his head.

"Yeah, I'll probably spoil the kid rotten. Maybe Scully has made a bad decision after all," he comments, scratching at his balls.

"Bullshit. If I can muddle my way through fatherhood, you'll do just fine."

I laugh and slap him on the back just as the toilet in the bathroom flushes. His ears turn a little red and he gives me a grin. Water runs in the sink for a few seconds and then shuts off. The door opens and Scully reappears.

"Hey...I think this calls for a toast," I say immediately. Scully looks at us both and smiles.

"Yes...a toast," Walter agrees.

Scully straightens and it's obvious the worry she had over our having a problem with her wishes is fast dissipating. I feel a lightness in my heart as I see her blue eyes flash with good humor and happiness.

"Good Lord, yes. We've forgotten about Walter's wine," she replies, gesturing at the bottle on the dresser.

Skinner stands.

"I can remedy that situation," he comments, advancing towards the dresser. I take Scully's hand and pull her up after me as I get up as well.

"Come on...let's celebrate," I suggest with a grin. Scully squeezes my hand and smiles up at me.

Skinner makes a detour, locks the door and then turns around.

"Grab a glass," he says, smiling wide.

xXx

"Walter...you really shouldn't have...but this is excellent," Scully enthuses from her seat next to Skinner. They're both sitting on the bed, propped up against the headboard, a second glass of wine in each of their hands. I'm standing in front of the dresser, pouring myself a second glass of Merlot. The Brie and crackers are mostly gone, having been eaten over conversation and our first glasses of the rich, fruity liquor.

"Don't worry about the expense. I wanted a classic and I was lucky that Schneider's of Capitol Hill could locate the vintage. I'm just glad you like it," Skinner answers, taking another sip from his glass.

I put the bottle down and hold my glass up to the light. I examine the dark richness of the red liquid in it.

"I wish I knew more about wine, Walter. I wouldn't have known a 1994 Matanzas Merlot was a decent vintage much less a classic."

"Well to be honest, I had to research it a little myself. I just knew I wanted a Merlot from 1994. So, don't feel like you're untutored in wines."

I cross back over to the bed and sit down on the end of it, staring at my glass.

"1994. Why..." I start to ask why that particular year was important and then it dawns on me. I look up at Skinner with a raised eyebrow and Scully looks from me to him. She graces Skinner with a gentle smile.

"1994 was the year we were assigned to you," she whispers, touching his shoulder.

"Yeah...I wanted to uh...mark the moment for New Year's," he replies quietly.

We're all silent for a heartbeat or two and then I smile at him.

"Great idea, big guy. I'd like to offer another toast to go along with the one about uh...success in your upcoming endeavor." Scully dips her head, and smothers a chuckle. Walter gives me a patient look and I give him a quick smartass grin before I continue. "To those mysterious ways of love we've talked about before...and to us," I finish, lifting my glass with a flourish.

"I'll second that," Skinner proclaims.

"Yes. And to extreme possibilities" Scully adds, lifting her glass up in agreement.

"Salute," we say, touching glasses.

We all tip our glasses then and sip the Merlot. When I lower my glass from my lips I smile again.

"So...are you guys going to try making a baby here or what?"

Scully sputters, nearly spitting out her wine.

"Jesus, Mulder."

Walter squirms and sloshes some Merlot onto his chest hair.

"Yeah, Christ, Mulder. Why don't you turn up the performance pressure a little more?"

"Skinner...you know me...once I put my mind to something..." I chuckle, lowering my wine glass.

"Yeah, well...you're not the one who's got to be worried about putting something somewhere so..."

"Hey!" Scully complains, giving Skinner a shove with her elbow.

"Ow," Skinner chuckles, massaging where she connected with his ribs.

"I'm sitting right here you guys...have a little tact."

"Yes, ma'am." I shake my head with good humor and Scully laughs and gives Skinner a light kiss on the cheek.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bruise you."

"I think I'll live," he rumbles another chuckle.

I slide up the side of the bed, deposit my glass on the nightstand and then slide over to sit next to Walter.

Skinner finishes off his wine and then reaches over me to set the glass next to mine. Scully sips a little more from her glass and then it goes unfinished on the nightstand opposite.

Walter puts his arms behind his head and stretches luxuriously. His muscles ripple slightly with the movement and the motion automatically spreads a warmth through my groin.

Scully rolls over a little and places her head and hand on his chest so that when his arms come down his left arm naturally falls over her shoulder. His right arm comes down to rest next to my right arm.

We sit in companionable silence, just enjoying the quiet of the house, and each other's company for a few moments. Finally Skinner clears his throat.

"Listen...I wasn't really serious about the performance pressure. If either of you want to make love I'd like that. It would be a very pleasant end to the evening," he rumbles, almost formally.

I smile and reach over to pat Walter's thigh.

"Scully...I'd like to be with either one of you tonight. How do you feel about it?"

"I'd like to be with you both," she nods, smiling over at me and then up at Skinner. "Let's see if we can make a baby."

Skinner smiles tenderly down at her and pulls her close.

"Yeah...let's do that," he agrees.

xXx

Skinner sprawls on his back, his legs splayed out on either side of me. He groans as I take the glans of his cock into my mouth again and wrap my fist around the shaft.

"Why am I suddenly the center of attention?" he gasps as I pump and suck him.

"Because you brought the wine?" Scully chuckles seductively from her position at the head of the bed.

She's seated Indian style and Skinner's head is in her lap. Her hand brings her wine glass up and she sips delicately at the Merlot that's left in it.

"Fuck...I guess that is one hell of a vintage," Skinner replies, his voice raw as he thrusts his hips against my face.

"Would you like some more?" she asks, her eyes sultry.

"Now?" he pants, inclining his head in my direction. "Christ, Mulder...that's good."

I smirk and glance up at Scully as Skinner refocuses on her.

"Yes, now."

Her reply is followed by a throaty laugh. She bends forward and captures Skinner's lips with hers. I can tell she's shot-gunning the Merlot into Skinner's mouth. Walter's larynx convulses as he swallows and I slide my mouth down his hardening cock, taking him in right to his balls. His back arches off the bed but he manages to swallow and then Scully's devouring his mouth. The position is a little awkward for them both, Scully coming at him upside down, but it's an incredible turn-on to watch as I suck Walter's dick.

When Scully breaks contact, Walter's gasping and a little dazed.

"God," he huffs and then he chuckles. Scully straightens, finishes the wine and then puts the glass on the nightstand. She runs her hands through her vivid red hair, brushing it back. I let go of Skinner's cock and survey the results of my ministrations.

Scully strokes Skinner's head as he glances down.

"You're ready, buddy," I inform him and he grunts his assent.

Scully smiles and plants a kiss on his forehead.

"Any way you want it," he tells her.

I move back a little and pick up the condom that's lying on the bed next to me.

"I'm gonna suit up. You guys talk amongst yourselves," I advise a little distracted as I pull at the Lifestyle's packet.

As we've been pleasuring each other it's occurred to me that tonight should be mostly about Scully and Walter. It's a special night after all, the first time they're going to try to create a life together. I've decided to let them run the show and the condom's only a precaution in case they want me to take an active part.

As I rip the packet open and flip the condom out I glance up. Scully has helped Walter to move his head off her lap and now she's levering up over him. She straddles his chest, shifting forward so that he can begin to tongue between her legs. Scully bites her lower lip and thrusts her hips gently back and forth against Walter's talented mouth.

I take my half-hard cock in hand and pump it up and down several times. As I'm jerking, Scully groans.

"Just...just a little harder."

It's a total rush to see Walter, his face wet with her juices, working between Scully's legs. Hearing her voice lost in passion is fantastic too. I pump myself rapidly in time with their movements. I'm completely erect in just a few more jerks and I look down so I can roll the condom down my length. Scully moans and I glance up again. Walter's fingering her clit while moving two strong fingers in and out of her body.

"Better?" he asks.

"Yes," she gasps. "Don't stop."

I finish rolling the condom down and seat it comfortably to the wet sounds of Skinner bringing Scully to orgasm.

"Oh, right there!" Scully cries out. This time when I look at them she's arching her neck up, her spine bowing back, her mouth open as she gasps.

"Oh yeah, that's it, baby," Skinner murmurs while Scully trembles over him.

Finally Scully sags forward, draping herself over Walter, her head nudging the base of his cock as she turns her face to the side.

"Jesus, Skinner...you're too good at that," she pants, breathless.

Skinner gives her a light slap on the ass and she laughs.

"You inspire me," he chuckles.

I knee walk in between his calves and Skinner parts his legs a little more to allow me access. His cock bobs between Scully and me.

I caress Scully's arm where it hangs beside Walter's hip and bend forward, nuzzling her ear. Walter's chest rises and falls a little faster as his cock tips up against my chest.

"You wanna ride him?" I whisper, my voice low and intense.

I know Scully likes it on top and I have to confess I not only like her there as well...I really enjoy seeing her fucking Walter that way. As I kiss her cheek, I feel her mouth pull up in a smile.

It only takes a moment to get her levered up and straddling Walter's hips. It's obvious to Skinner what Scully intends to do, and he holds her waist as I help guide her up and over his cock.

She reaches down between her legs and positions him. I enjoy the expression on her face as she slides down his hard length.

When Scully comes to rest facing me and against Walter's groin, she holds onto my hands and we're all very still for a moment.

"Thank you," she murmurs. Her eyes are a fathomless blue and filled with love for me. I know she's not thanking me just for the helping hand.

"It's my pleasure...for everything," I whisper back.

Skinner's large hands caress her waist and hips. He runs them up and down and then over her breasts, rubbing her nipples. Scully closes her eyes at the sensation of his touch and his cock buried inside her.

"Mmmm," she moans.

I sit back on my haunches and stroke my cock, watching Scully rise and fall slightly with Skinner's breathing.

"Can you lie back, baby?" Skinner purrs from behind Scully.

"Lie back? Completely flat against you?"

"Yeah."

"I think so," Scully replies a little breathlessly. She opens her eyes and craning her neck, looks back at him.

"I'd like to hold you closer," he admits somewhat self-consciously.

"I'd like that too," she smiles.

Skinner smiles and sits up a little, gently helping Scully to ease down until she's lying with her back along his body. His cock, still inside Scully, is stretched somewhat and pulled up towards his stomach. He brings his hands up to caress her whole torso from her breasts to her mons.

"Comfortable?" he rumbles, nuzzling her head.

"Yes, actually...this is different...but I like it. Are you comfortable?"

"Yeah...this is great."

Scully nods and glances down at me where I'm sitting and quietly watching.

"Are you all right, Mulder?" she asks, concern for me in her voice.

"Oh yeah...I'm just fine," I grin as my fingers move lazily up and down my dick.

She smiles and relaxes back against Skinner.

"God, your cock feels wonderful, Walter," she breathes.

"You feel wonderful too," he whispers into her hair. "I love you."

"I love you too," Scully replies softly, taking one of his hands and kissing it.

As I watch, Skinner arches his hips down, pulling his cock partly out of Scully's body. When he arches up he rocks it slowly back into her.

"Mmmm...that's different too," Scully remarks, her brow furrowing a little.

"Ok? You can sit up if that works better for you," Skinner huffs out as he stills his hips.

"No...I think I like it. Go ahead," she nods.

Skinner brings his arms up and encircles her body, holding her as well as helping her to slide up his torso as he rocks his hips up and down under her. In a few moments they're both moving in synch, breathing harshly and then moaning in pleasure.

I move forward and Skinner frogs his legs out, both getting better leverage for thrusting, and making more room for me.

I kneel and place my cock on Scully's clit, rubbing the head over it as she moves.

"Oh God," she gasps, glancing down at me. "Mulder!" she exclaims with a breathless laugh.

"Enjoy the ride, lover," I reply, my smile turning to a grimace as I bounce the head of my cock up and down on her swollen clit.

Skinner's breathing hard with the exertion of having Scully on top of him and his thrusting into her. But I can tell he's enjoying every minute of it. His muscles, damp with sweat, flex and relax, flex and relax...and it's a phenomenal sight.

"Oh...oh," Scully moans. "Mulder..."

"Harder now?"

She nods and I take over rubbing her clit with my fingers. In a few seconds she arches up over Skinner, all her muscles going taut. Her mouth is open in a silent scream.

"Christ," Skinner laughs in pleasure, thrusting up deep inside Scully.

"Tight isn't it?" I chuckle.

"Fuck, yeah, even after the baby," he gasps, holding Scully as she rocks spastically against him for a few seconds.

"She keeps up with her Kegels," I reply with a smile.

When she stills finally, she goes limp, and Skinner hugs her to his chest.

"What was the remark about Kegels?" she asks with a raised eyebrow. Her breasts rise and fall as she works to get her breathing back to normal.

Skinner and I both laugh, Skinner's being more of a moan as Scully shifts on his dick. Scully tries to look peeved but she can't hold it, finally laughing along with us. I sit up and look at them both.

"You both looked fucking incredible."

I smile and they both smile up at me. Skinner skims his hands over Scully's breasts, toying with her swollen nipples.

"Woman...I gotta come or I'm gonna die," he chuckles.

"Can you do that in this position?" Scully inquires, placing her hands over his and caressing them when they come to rest on her breasts.

"I think it would be easier if I'm on top. Maybe better also in terms of...of your conceiving," he replies with a cough.

"Good point," I agree, backing out from between his legs.

Scully nods in agreement and I help her to raise up and slide off Walter.

"Can I put my head in your lap?" Scully requests as we start to situate ourselves on the bed.

"Sure."

I smile and help her to lay back, her head between my thighs, my cock in back of her.

"How about this?"

I can get at my cock this way and I think that's going to be imperative here in a few minutes. Walter's not the only one who wants to get off very badly.

She nods, biting her lip a little.

"I think you can take the condom off if it's easier for you."

I smile and nod. It only takes me a second to comply and I toss the condom onto the floor. Scully looks down towards her feet and shifts a bit to get more comfortable.

I turn my head to Skinner where he's been hanging back while we got ourselves into position. The look of thanks, love and respect he has for me is clearly transmitted through his intense brown eyes. I give him a quick thumbs up and he grins.

Scully looks at Skinner then and extends her arms to him.

"Come here," she whispers.

He smiles wider and for the next few moments, there's no one else in the world except Scully and Skinner...and I'm more than happy that that's the case.

Walter moves with confidence over Scully and she raises her knees, allowing him to kneel in between them. He slides his knees under her ass a little, tipping her hips up and then reaches down for his cock. Scully sighs as Skinner works the head into her and then thrusts forward. She gasps in pleasure as he grunts and pushes all the way in.

"I'm close," he gasps. "I can't hold back much longer."

"I want to feel you come in me," Scully whispers, lifting her legs up. Skinner supports them against his hips and starts to rock against her. I'm so entranced in watching the way his ass and thigh muscles move him powerfully back and forth, at the sight of his engorged cock plunging in and out of Scully's body, of Scully athletically rising up to meet his thrusts with eagerness that I almost forget about my own hard-on.

But finally I reach down and start to stroke myself, moving my hand faster and faster as Skinner picks up the pace and Scully bucks into him in time with his thrusts.

"Oh shit...oh...that's...oh fuck," Walter babbles, driving hard against Scully's ass.

Scully reaches down and rubs her clit and in a few hard strokes she tenses and moans, climaxing again.

"Jesus," Skinner grunts.

Scully's head is bumping my balls in time with each piston of Skinner's hips and the sensation, instead of hurting, is all it takes to send me over the edge. I groan loudly as cum spurts out of my cock and up onto my stomach in ropy threads.

My hand slides up and down, wringing semen out of me and a rolling spasm of ecstasy with each spurt as I struggle to keep my eyes on Scully and Walter.

As I start to come down from my climax, I notice Skinner is completely on autopilot, gone and oblivious to everything but his cock driving into Scully. He begins to tremble and new sweat breaks out on his head and neck.

"There you go, big man," I pant, resting my hand on my cock as it starts to go flaccid. Scully grabs Skinner, gripping his straining forearms tight to support him as he arches back and opens his mouth to cry out.

"FUCK!" he roars.

His hips snap rapidly several times. After one last spastic thrust, he ends up burying himself up to his nuts, stilling against Scully's ass.

"Oh God...I can feel it," Scully whispers unselfconsciously, completely caught up in the experience as Skinner empties himself into her.

She reaches up and takes my free hand, squeezing it tight.

I'm at a loss for words and just squeeze her hand as Skinner shudders. I can feel his muscles convulsing even in my legs.

Finally he collapses forward on his forearms. Scully's other hand slides off his arm, and she lets go of my hand so that she can wrap both arms around his back. He buries his face in her neck, breathing hard.

"Easy," she murmurs, gently caressing between his shoulders. "That was so good."

His chest rises and falls, his breath coming in harsh gulps but then he levers up a little. He brings his mouth over to Scully's lips.

"Dana," Skinner mumbles, kissing her.

I sit quietly as their mouths play over each other, the sweat on their bodies running between them.

"I'll pull out," Skinner huffs after they end the kiss. "Gotta be crushing you."

Scully strokes his face.

"It's all right. Stay a minute."

I carefully pull myself up and gently place Scully's head on a pillow that was in back of me. I pat her shoulder as I swing my legs over the bed. It only takes me a second or two to retrieve the condom. I decide to give them a few minutes of privacy by flushing the rubber down the toilet. I glance back as I walk away and Scully is tenderly cradling Skinner's head and stroking the fringe of hair at the back of his neck.

In the bathroom, I throw the latex in the toilet, lift the seats, take a leak and flush. I smile as I dutifully lower the seats. Scully has finally drilled that bit of good manners into my head. Afterwards I wash the cum off my chest and stomach with a wet washcloth. I give my cock and balls a gentle washing as well, clean up my hands and then dry off with a towel.

When I return to the bedroom, Walter is lying on his back, his arm around Scully. Scully's head is on his chest.

He looks up at me with heavy lidded eyes as I approach the bed and climb in next to Scully. His hand gently rubs her bicep.

"You ok?" he asks sleepily.

"Yeah, guy," I assure him, propping myself up on my elbow.

"Good," he rumbles, his eyes drifting shut.

"Get some sleep," Scully chuckles, glancing up and then kissing his pec. "You certainly earned it."

"Sorry," Walter mumbles in apology for his exhaustion. His eyes close and his breathing starts to even out.

"I wouldn't say you have a thing to be sorry about," Scully whispers, shifting up to kiss his cheek. A ghost of a smile crosses his lips and then he's fast asleep.

She unwinds his arm from around her and I lay back. Then Scully drapes herself over my chest and cuddles between us both.

"You want to shower?"

"No, I'll do it in the morning. I want to lie here and let things percolate," she replies with a contented sigh.

I chuckle.

"There isn't much of a wet spot so there's a lot in there to percolate."

She chuckles and nods.

"I have my fingers crossed."

"Yeah, me too." I kiss her hair.

She strokes my chest and we lie there quietly basking in being together, hopeful and in love. Finally I caress her arm a little and clear my throat.

"Scully?" I whisper.

"Yes?"

"Marry me," I hiss.

The proposal just pops out. I know I've said those words before in jest but this time it's not a joke at all. But for a split second I think it's because I'm sex stupid that I've said the words. Then I realize it's anything but stupid and marrying her is something I want more than anything else in the world right at this moment. I smile down at Scully's head as her hand stops dead in the middle of my chest hair.

"What?" she whispers, looking up at me, her eyebrows raised.

"Marry me, Scully. I mean it...really. It's high time, don't you think? Hell...I can't think of a reason to put it off any longer. You can call your mother tomorrow if you want and tell her to start planning that church wedding. We'll need to pick out rings of course. Uh...I mean I need to get you an engagement ring first I guess...but we could shop for all the rings after..."

"Yes."

"What?"

"Yes, I'll marry you."

I grin like hell and pull her close, kissing her convulsively. And I can't help it, tears spring up in my eyes. Scully's weeping then as well. We cling to each other, our mouths moving together almost desperately as our tears mingle on our cheeks and Walter gently snores next to us.

@@@

I click the mouse on the "X" in the corner of the screen and save the file. Sitting back, I push my glasses up and rub my eyes a little. Finally I close out MSWord, log off and then shut down. My slow smile is reflected dimly back at me from the darkened PC screen.

I'm glad I kept badgering Walter to contribute to the book. This chapter is very well done and I know the publishers are going to cream all over themselves when they read it.

I shove back and my chair rolls away from the desk. A glance at my coffee cup tells me I forgot to finish off my coffee and it's way past its prime.

I decide to have one more cup...what the hell...it's decaf...it's not going to keep me awake, I think, getting up. My legs need stretching and jiggling them works the kinks out as I leave our townhouse home office and enter the hallway that leads to the kitchen.

It's only 8:30 at night, and the house is quiet. Scully and Charlie are visiting grandma. Maggie and Scully decided to make this a wedding plan Saturday so while they're brainstorming on that front, Charlie's 'Nana' can spoil him a bit. Walter's away in Atlanta for a week...he's delivering a keynote address at a law enforcement convention down there. Well, at least he made it to the end of February before he had to travel.

Skinner just about broke one of my vertebrae when he slapped me on the back after Scully and I gave him the news about the wedding. He's going to be best man of course. He's also talking about moving into the townhouse finally. We've got the attic that we could convert to an area for him. I know we'll all want some privacy once in a while and he needs his own office on the premises. There are going to be a lot of changes in the next year for all of us. I have to admit I'm more than a little nervous about the prospect, but I'm also looking forward to the challenge.

Walter and Scully are still trying to conceive. I'm using protection when Scully and I are together. It may be too early to be sure, but when we made love last night, something about it felt different...something about the fullness of her breasts, the feel of her inside...or maybe there was a change in her natural feminine aroma. At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised to find out she's carrying Skinner's baby now.

I flip on the kitchen light and advance to the sink to pour out the cold coffee. My next stop is the coffeemaker on the kitchen counter. Just as I'm pouring another cup, the doorbell rings.

I sigh. Who the hell could that be?

And just as I have the thought, something prickles at the back of my neck. A small voice in my mind that I learned years ago never to ignore whispers, 'By the pricking of my thumbs...something wicked this way comes'.

I find myself detouring into the office as the doorbell stops ringing for a moment. I unlock a drawer in my desk. My old Smith and Wesson lies inside...all silver metal, cold and lethal. Picking it up, I slide a clip into the butt and the safety gets flipped off. It's surprising how comfortable the weapon feels in my hand. How familiar it seems, and how easily it fits there. I leave the office and walk quietly down the hallway, my gun held ready next to my thigh. I wince as my sneakers squeak on the hardwood floor, betraying my stealth.

The doorbell rings again and I peer carefully through the peephole, standing to the side of it before I look through.

Melvin Frohike and Gibson Praise peer owlishly up at me from the door stoop. Alex Krycek is standing behind them, his head swiveling back and forth, casing the street. Yeah, old habits die hard for all of us, I think as I observe Krycek's caution. Except Alex is still playing the game and his habits aren't old...they're still a matter of survival.

"Shit." I mumble the curse. "They're two days early...and where's Marita?"

A week and a half ago we finally got word that Alex Krycek and Marita Covarrubias were safely on their way out of Russia. They'd ended up having to do surgery on Alex's badly torn tendon in Vladivostock. Luckily the CIA located a competent doctor who would do it and keep his mouth shut.

The Gunmen and FBI had taken over after his convalescence and arranged for Alex and Marita to travel back to the US. After a layover in Germany they were going to fly to DC. When their plane got in early Tuesday, Frohike was supposed to bring the couple to the townhouse. Water has agreed to let them stay in the house in Crossroads until they can find a place of their own but we were all supposed to meet here for some kind of meeting of the minds brunch Tuesday afternoon. What the hell Alex Krycek's going to do for work is beyond me. But that's not my problem. My problem now is to face the music where Krycek and my relationship is concerned...evidently earlier than I had anticipated.

I flip the safety on the Smith and Wesson and stuff it in the back of my jeans.

The doorbell rings again.

"Hang on," I yell, sidestepping to grab the deadbolt and slide it back.

When the door's open, I look up and past Frohike and Gibson's cloud of exhaled breath and straight at Alex Krycek. Even though my words are addressed to the oldest and youngest Lone Gunmen, I'm addressing him.

"Que pasa, guys? My calendar says it's Saturday."

Krycek gives me a slightly sarcastic grin, just a trace around the corners of his mouth. His eyes show his annoyance though as he answers.

"Don't blame them, Mulder...this was my idea. Can we come in?"

I raise my eyebrows and step back, sweeping my hand in the direction of the hallway.

"By all means. Good to see you, Frohike. You too, Gibson," I reply, ignoring Krycek as he follows his shorter companions into the house. Alex is still limping a little from his injury.

I glance outside and take one last look around, noticing a black Ford Explorer parked at the curb. There's a dark-haired woman inside at the wheel and I can't really see her face in the shadows.

"Where's Marita? And aren't you going to invite your friend in?" I query the group assembled in our hallway."

"Marita's back at the hotel with Byers and Langly," Frohike answers sheepishly. "That's Yves Adele Harlow out in the SUV."

"She has...issues about coming in," Gibson finishes for his father with a slight roll of his eyes.

I thought it might be Yves. I've only met her once and she was skittish about it then. One of these days I have to sit down with the guys and find out just what's up with her...especially given her role in helping get Alex and Marita out of Russia. She's always appeared to be resourceful and somewhat of an unofficial ally to the guys. Jesus...when Yves, Gibson and Jimmy Bond, the erstwhile fifth Gunman and their benefactor are all in the Lone Gunmen office it must be crowded down there.

The mystery woman in the car issue settled, I decide that standing here seething in tension probably isn't a good thing for any of us under the circumstances. It's a less ideal situation with Gibson here. He may be older, and taller since he's shot up to where he's nearly Frohike's height...but he's still a kid, and tonight's adventure isn't always something he should have to deal with in my opinion. I shut the door quietly, lock up, and turn back around to face Gibson.

"Man, Gib...I think you've grown more since I last saw you. You're as tall as your dad. How's your mom?"

Gibson smiles and gives Frohike a sly look. "Mom's doing good. She was giving Hickey hell for keeping me out late last night."

"Hey, hey, hey, little man," Frohike laughs, regaining some of his bravado and seeking to help squelch some of the tension as well. He gives Gibson a good-natured shove. "Let's not discuss family business with the whole world. Gayle's great, Mulder. She sent her regards."

I nod.

"Tell her I said hello." Then after a second of chewing on my lip I decide we'd better get down to business. "Well, come on in and explain why you're here two days early. I can make a fresh pot of coffee," I add.

"How domestic," Krycek mutters, taking his gloves off.

I give him a hard look but I hold my retort.

"You can hang your coats up in that closet," I gesture to the door directly next to us. "When you're done, come on down to the kitchen." I glance at Alex. "You all know the way."

With that remark, I turn on my heel and leave them to stew for a few minutes while I go to brew the fresh pot of caffeine.

xXx

The cups of coffee don't eliminate that much more tension, but at least they serve to warm up the three visitors. All of us stand awkwardly around the kitchen table. I might as well allow them to sip for a few minutes, I think. I want to hear what they have to say but I'm in no rush because I know it's probably going to make me pissed off.

No one speaks. It's obvious Frohike's embarrassed about bringing Krycek here early and unannounced when he knew I would be alone. Gibson looks up over his cup rim, the hot liquid steaming up his glasses. He glances at his adopted father and then at Alex and finally centers on me. He shrugs. It's equally as obvious that when Gibson gets nervous now, he has to talk. No longer able to read others thoughts he's become intent on soliciting them verbally.

"How's Charlie?" he asks, watching me with interest.

"Charlie's great. Just like you...growing like a weed. He really likes that copy of 'Horton Hears a Who' that you gave him for Christmas. We've read it to him several times now."

Gibson beams and almost sputters on the sip of coffee he took after he asked the question. When he manages to swallow he answers.

"He does? Excellent. You know that was one of my favorite books when I was little. I really liked it and I was hoping Charlie would too. For his birthday I'll get him 'One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish'. My...uh...my real parents taught me to read using that book."

Gibson's voice fades a little on the mention of his dead mother and father. He clears his throat and Frohike moves a little closer to him and puts an arm around his shoulders.

"Gibson's got quite a collection of Dr. Seuss books at the condo. My personal favorite is 'The Cat in the Hat," he comments, looking at his adopted son with fondness.

"Yeah...and Langly likes 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'. I think it's because he is the Grinch," Gibson smiles a little.

Krycek clears his throat and all three of our heads swivel to look at him.

"I thought Boris Karloff and Jim Carrey were the Grinch," he interjects sarcastically. "The field's getting a little crowded. But whatever...can we get on with..."

In a flash, I lose my temper at Krycek's rude tone. All pretext at trying to maintain the peace are lost in a surge of testosterone. I instantly want to bash his face in.

"Oh...are you ready to talk now? I thought you were going to stand here all night and drink my coffee," I interrupt, my voice low.

Krycek's green eyes flash in anger and his good fist clenches around his coffee mug. Frohike lets go of Gibson's shoulders and growls out a warning to him.

"God damn it...cut the crap. When you had Yves arrange for that earlier flight, I told you I'd bring you here unannounced if you could keep things civil. Come on...can't you get past copping an attitude. And Mulder...this is bullshit. Neither one of you is setting a sterling example of good manners."

"If you were worried about me not having good manners, you shouldn't have brought your kid along," Krycek spits out through half-clenched jaws. "And as for copping an attitude...who's got Mr. Smith and Wesson kissing his ass here?"

I can feel my face grow hot and stiff. I know I'm turning red in anger.

But before I can speak, Frohike shoves his hand in his vest and pulls out his cell phone, slamming it down on the table. I bet that leaves an imprint in the palm of the fingerless leather gloves he's wearing flashes through my mind as we all jump. Gibson spills some lukewarm coffee down his sweater. His eyes are as big as saucers behind his glasses.

"Yeah...well I've got DD Skinner and Scully on speed dial on this thing. If the two of you don't cool your jets I'm going to dial them both. Or Alex...would you rather I call Marita? Let's just see who gets here first and then I'll sit back and watch you both get your asses chewed on."

Frohike speaks with vehemence, his voice raised and full of force. He scowls at both of us and the anger in his voice and seriousness of his demeanor causes Krycek and I to look down, chastised.

After a moment, Krycek looks up, shifts his weight off his bad foot and clears his throat.

"All right...no sense calling in the cavalry," he sighs. "Look...I'm suffering from a mammoth case of jet lag and my foot's killing me right now. It was probably stupid to ask Frohike to get me over here, I'll admit it. But Mulder...we have to talk...and...I'm sorry if the circumstances are all wrong, all right?"

Looking closely at Krycek now, it's evident he's very tired, there are circles under his eyes. He's shifting his weight again and the way he's standing now is indicative of his being in some pain.

I make a gesture of dismissal.

"All right, don't worry about it. Why don't...why don't you just sit down and we'll start over," I reply quietly, pointing to the chair in front of him.

Krycek gives me a weary nod and pulls the chair out.

"And sorry about the gun. I just got that old Hoodoo feeling when I wasn't expecting anyone and heard the doorbell ring. Old ways die hard...Alex."

"Yeah...I know what you mean," Krycek agrees with a wan smile.

I shake my head and smile a little myself. Then I glance at Frohike and Gibson.

"Take a seat, guys."

Gibson looks at Frohike and his father clears his throat.

"Part of the agreement was to let you and Alex talk alone," he mumbles.

"Oh?" I raise my eyebrows and then look at Krycek. Alex shrugs. "Why? So we can revert to beating the living shit out of each other without any witnesses?"

Everyone looks at me and the room is dead silent while they try to fathom the intent of my remark.

I chuckle.

"It was a joke," I assure them sincerely. Or was it, I wonder as I watch Krycek's shoulders sag.

Krycek relaxes and exhales.

"I'll try to believe you," Krycek replies acerbically. I raise an eyebrow and he holds both his hands up, the prosthetic one rising a little slower. "Ok, now I'm kidding. I believe you."

I walk over to the sink and sit my coffee cup in it.

"That was kind of the pattern between us, wasn't it Alex? Hit first and ask question later?" I reply, half musing before I turn around.

"Yeah, I guess it was," he agrees quietly. I can feel his eyes on my back. I turn around. His eyes are intense as he studies my face. I don't see any more animosity there at the moment. If anything I see a reflection of my own new found desperation to get this over with.

"Alone then."

I give a curt nod and Frohike and Gibson visibly relax.

"Ok," Frohike exhales. He picks his cell phone back up and slips it into his inner vest pocket. "Uh...we'll be heading back to the hotel, then."

"Listen...tell Marita not to wait up, ok? I know she's going to give you an argument about it but try to get her to rest even if she can't sleep."

Krycek's request is delivered with sincerity and more humility than I've seen him use in a long time. The fact he cares something for Marita is obvious.

"Marita's what...about four months now?"

"Yeah," he replies, his eyes growing softer. "This has all been hard on her too. Fuck it...I probably shouldn't have put her through it all. She wants this kid so badly..." he lets his voice fade. "Well...she's getting good care. She just needs to make sure she gets some rest."

I want to ask him more about how she's doing, but Frohike speaks again and I have to wait to inquire further.

"I'll make sure she does," Frohike nods, tapping his knuckles on the table. "You want to finish your coffee?" he asks Gibson.

"I think I got most of it on my sweater," the boy replies a little dismally. "What'll I tell Mom?"

Frohike chuckles.

"We'll think of something. Maybe we'll offer to do the laundry. Besides, Byers knows how to get just about anything out. It shouldn't be too much of a problem."

Gibson grins in relief and walks over to the sink to put his coffee mug next to mine.

"Thanks for the coffee, Agent Mulder...I mean Mulder," he says, rolling his eyes at the slip.

"You're welcome, Gib. Later."

"Good night, Mr. Krycek."

"Good night, kid," Alex replies, giving him a brief nod.

"We'll we're out of here," Frohike says, placing his mug in the sink as well. "Thanks for the coffee. Say hello to the divine Dana Scully for me," he adds, grinning a little. "And tell Skinner I owe him a beer."

"Sure thing. Tell Byers and Langly we'll be seeing them next week when we do the upgrade and start networking the PCs."

"Right," Frohike nods as he ushers Gibson ahead of him out the kitchen door.

"Frohike?" Krycek asks, his voice a little rough. Frohike turns as Gibson walks out.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks. Tell them all thanks for me," he replies, his voice soft.

"No problem."

Frohike nods at Krycek and follows Gibson down the hallway.

"I'm going to lock up after them," I inform the younger man seated at the table. And ditch the piece, I think. I figure Krycek's armed but maybe my putting my gun away will be a good will gesture and help us get started on a better foot...so to speak. I turn to leave. Alex coughs, drawing my attention back to him.

"Do you lock your piece up? I mean, because of the kid?"

"Yeah."

"Then take this and lock it up too." He unzips and then reaches into the hooded sweatshirt he kept on. His shoulder holster gives up a Glock and he hands the weapon to me.

"All right," I nod. I smile inwardly. Sure, use my son as an excuse...whatever works, Alex. "Thanks."

He gives me a curt nod and runs his hand through his close cropped hair as I take my leave of him. As I go, I ponder whether I have as much gray at my temples as Krycek does. You know...I never noticed to be honest.

"You know where the liquor cabinet is, right?" I call back over my shoulder. I'm thinking both of us are going to need a few stiff shots of booze when we really start our little tete a' tete.

"Yeah."

"Help yourself."

"Definitely," I hear him murmur just as I go out of earshot.

EPILOGUE

"Uhhhh," I groan, planting my knees a little wider on the mattress. Holding Scully's hips hard, I rock rapidly against her ass. My body shakes with my orgasm and Scully arches into me, coming again as well.

"Oh God," she gasps and then she laughs with pleasure.

I groan in ecstasy and then laugh too, thrusting into her a few more times as I ride out the last of my own climax.

We finally collapse in a heap and I make a grab for the base of my cock to hold the condom against it. I throw my other arm around Scully and we kiss passionately.

"Happy honeymoon," I mumble around her lips.

She giggles.

"Oh, you can say that again," she murmurs, stroking where we're still connected.

We end the kiss and then lie in each other's arms, satiated for the time being. We've been making love on and off all day. It's been incredible but I have to admit...I ain't 20 anymore. I'm starting to feel like this time I could sleep for sure.

Scully's eyes tell me she's considering doing the same thing.

I look out the window at the beach and sigh. It's a perfect May evening, the last of May as a matter-of-fact. The wedding was two days ago and we decided to take a few days honeymoon at the house in Crossroads, Maine. It seemed fitting. Skinner bought the house from his brother in March and now we own it so why not take advantage of the privacy and atmosphere? Besides, this place has so many good memories for us. We'll take a longer trip somewhere else later. But for now, this house and each other are all we need even for only a few days.

Charlie's staying with Maggie Scully. The rest of Scully's relatives, including Bill *ok, I'll eat crow* Scully, Sr., his much more pleasant wife, Tara, and their three kids, have gone back to their respective homes. They were all there at the wedding in the small Catholic Church in Crossroads. The day was pretty much a blur for me. The Gunmen were there, including Gibson and Jimmy Bond, Frohike's wife, Gayle...Walter of course...

There's a soft knock on the door and I'm distracted from my woolgathering.

"Uh...I'm sorry to disturb you but I think you'll want to hear this," Walter's rumbling voice comes from outside the bedroom door.

Skinner flew back up this morning after having to depart for DC on Bureau business. He's done an admirable job of giving us all the time we want together. I sigh inwardly. I think he's a little down because for some reason, he and Scully haven't been able to get pregnant yet. Both of them went for tests and according to the doctor there's no reason the stork shouldn't be visiting again.

I guess we'll just all have to be patient. So, I admire, respect and thank him for letting Scully and I enjoy each other. I've told him that a couple of times verbally and shown him physically as well. But I'll have to think of something else special to do for him that doesn't involve just a slap on the back or a cock up the ass.

"Come on in, Walter," Scully replies, shifting. I pull out and slide away from her. As Walter opens the bedroom door, I work the used condom off my dick and tie it off.

"What's up, big guy?" I ask as I toss the condom towards the trash can over by the dresser. It arcs up perfectly and hits the can dead center. There's a muffled clank as it lands in the bottom. I pump my fist and laugh. "Three points."

Scully rolls her eyes.

"Marita had a girl," Skinner rumbles, smiling a little.

My laughter dies instantly.

"Shit...she's a month early," I reply, my brow furrowing.

"God...is she all right?" Scully asks practically at the same time.

Skinner holds his hand up.

"Yes...everything's fine. The baby was small of course...but Krycek says she's...well here...read the e-mail."

Skinner proffers the piece of paper he's been holding with a slight chuckle. I scoot forward, my cock bumping across the mattress. "Ow," I mumble. It's sensitive after my orgasm. I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and take the printout from Walter. Scully knee walks over to where I sit on the edge of the bed and reads over my shoulder.

Walter saunters quietly over to the bedroom windows. The light breeze coming in under where they're open, ruffles the hair on his naked, muscular chest. For a second, before I bend my head to read the e-mail I marvel on what great shape he's in for a man over 50. Walter turns his back to us and gazes out the window.

I squint down in the subdued room lighting at the type on the paper in my hands.

My mind goes back to that cold February night when Alex and I finally came to terms with our past. We have a degree of peace with each other now...not what I'd call precisely a friendship...but we're far from being bitter and hated enemies any longer. I know I can count on Krycek to do the right thing under most circumstances now. And he knows my heart in regards to how I've never really given up my interest in the X-Files.

He accused me of that when we argued that night. He didn't believe I could give up my obsession even after finding closure on Samantha, or after the end of the alien threat any more than he could give up his need for the almost erotic rush that danger gives him.

And he was right you know. Despite everything Scully, Skinner and I've been through...the files are still under lock and key in a storage facility at Quantico...and now that the book's almost done, I can hear their siren call again. There are still extreme possibilities out there. Things unexplained that still need an explanation. Scully and I have talked about my resuming work on the X-Files. She's happy with teaching but she's not totally averse to my investigating the paranormal in some way. Walter said he can easily get me reinstated with the FBI...I could just about have carte blanche at the Bureau now. The idea has its appeal but the main thing about discussing it that night was...Krycek was right, got me to admit it, and it was the basis for us beginning to reach an actual understanding about what made each other tick.

I can feel Scully's warm breath on my neck as I begin to read Krycek's e-mail and I realize I'm glad for him and Marita and their new baby more than I ever thought I could be in the past.

//Skinman://

Boy...I bet Walter gritted his teeth when he saw that nickname. Just one more reason why I need to do something special for him. I owe him for letting the Skinman 'handle' slip around Krycek.

//Well...as you know per my previous e-mail, Marita and I could not attend the big event. Once again, please give Mulder and Scully our apologies and wish them well.

Tell Mulder, yeah...I had a legitimate reason. I'm a father. Marita went into labor early and delivered a baby girl the morning of the wedding. Things have been a little hectic so I wasn't able to e-mail you until now. Sorry about that too.

Vital stats:

Name: Katarina Maria Krycek (after our mothers)

Weight: 5 lbs. 4 oz. (small but she's a fighter just like her old man I guess)

Hair: (not much but it's blonde like her mom.)

Eyes: Green (like her dad)//

I hear Scully chuckle and glance back at her.

"He sounds...."

"Normal?" I joke.

She gives me a shove.

"Proud," she replies, her voice warning me not to poke fun at the situation.

"Yeah, he does," I grin at her and crane my head to kiss her cheek.

We both finish the e-mail then, there isn't much more left to go.

//Mother and daughter are doing really well. Fuck, Walter...I have to tell you...I was scared shitless but I managed not to pass out on the delivery room floor. At any rate...I'll update you all later. Oh, and there's something in the mail for the happy couple. Tell them Marita says hello. Later. And Skinner...watch your ass, old man. With Brock retiring, I wouldn't trust his replacement, John Simons as far as I could drop kick the bastard. Take care.

Regards,

Alex Krycek

Berkley, CA

whiterussian@spysrus.net//

I shake my head and chuckle. I always get a laugh over that e-mail address the Gunmen set up for him to use in our private correspondence. I guess it was partly Yves Adelle Harlow's idea...it certainly fits Alex's new CIA consultant position even if it's our very unofficial link to him.

"That bastard!" I laugh. Scully slides over and sits next to me. Her eyes are bright with good humor. I toss the e-mail next to us on the bed. "Why didn't he say that when he e-mailed us at the last minute and said they couldn't make the wedding? I thought it was some spook detail the CIA had him on."

Scully smiles patiently and shakes her head

"Mulder...if something had gone wrong...well...you know Marita's pregnancy was difficult at the end. Krycek probably just didn't want to jump the gun and tell us she was having the baby in case she lost it," Scully replies gently.

I turn and look at her.

"Oh...yeah. Shit...I'm sorry, I guess I didn't think of that."

I feel like a jerk but Scully strokes my arm.

"Of course it also could have been a head game...or as we often refer to it today where Alex is concerned...a surprise."

I chuckle. Walter shifts near the window and we look at him as he turns back around. His expression isn't precisely subdued but he doesn't look as happy as Scully or even me. Scully's eyes are dancing with the news and I have to admit again that I'm pleased as well.

No, Walter looks...left out. It dawns on me suddenly that all this talk about having babies is probably reminding him that he hasn't done what he thinks he should have been doing in terms of getting Scully pregnant. I'm surprised Scully isn't more contemplative about Marita giving birth. But I think she's so relieved and excited for her that she's not thinking of her own situation at the moment.

I glance at her and watch her studying Walter's face. Skinner looks down and reflexively rubs at his stomach.

"Well it was a hell of surprise," he murmurs. "Great news," he adds with a half-smile.

Scully looks at me and I look back at her. She pats my thigh and I notice her mouth curl up in a Mona Lisa smile. She's being enigmatic again, I think...now what's up? I watch as she gets up and walks over to Walter, her nude breasts swinging enticingly as she does.

She goes up to him and takes his hand. Then she turns back a little in my direction as well.

"Well...I had something I wanted to tell both of you and I think now's as good a time as any to do it, under the circumstances," she begins. Skinner's brow furrows as he stares down at her and I feel my pulse jump. "I'll just make it short and sweet I guess," she adds, looking from me and then up at Skinner. "Walter...you're going to be a father."

Skinner is still staring at her when I cross to them both and slap him on the back. I grab Scully and hug her.

"What?" he asks dumbly, blinking.

"She's pregnant...you're going to be a father," I laugh, slapping him on the back again. The second slap jogs him back from cloud nine or wherever he was for a minute.

"Jesus Christ!" he exclaims and then he practically knocks me down as he picks Scully up bodily and hugs her tight.

"Oh God...this is...oh man," he blusters.

Scully laughs and hugs him back. She looks over at me and there are tears welling up in her eyes.

"I didn't want to say anything until I was sure. I did a home pregnancy test and got a positive but I went for an exam to verify it. The doctor's office called this morning," she whispers as Walter runs his cheek over the top of her head. "I was waiting to tell you both...as my own surprise."

"I guess we just had to be patient," I tell her softly. "I'm...this is just great, Scully."

She smiles through her tears, nods and looks up at Skinner.

"Congratulations," she says.

Tears are trickling down his cheeks and he's speechless. Instead of words, he takes her face in his hands and kisses her deeply. Scully melts into him, losing herself in his embrace.

In short order, they're oblivious to my presence and I smile as their hands begin to roam over each other. Maybe Scully wasn't as tired as I thought, I think as she rocks herself seductively against Walter's cock. The front of his jeans begins to bulge a little. I marvel at how fast this guy can get it up at his age too.

I grab my briefs and the e-mail from the bed and slip the briefs quickly on.

"Well, I guess you two might like to be alone," I suggest, my words seeming to fall on deaf ears as Scully's talented fingers stroke Skinner's growing hard-on through the denim covering it. "Yeah...uh...I'll just go make some coffee for...afterwards," I add.

I turn and head for the bedroom door. I can't resist looking back however and seeing Scully on her knees in front of Walter, his cock liberated from his jeans and her mouth taking him in.

The look on his face is one of blissed out joy and absolute wonder mixed with the pleasure I know he's feeling as Scully starts to suck his swelling flesh.

I smile and turn back to the door.

"Ok. Later you guys. Don't do anything I wouldn't do," I call back over my shoulder as I open the door and slip out into the hallway. I chuckle all the way downstairs to the kitchen, the e-mail from Alex Krycek clutched in my right hand.

*Author's notes: The Challenge ingredients were:

- A torn tendon

- One lone Percocet

- Naked Skinner, sunny side up

- Brie Cheese

- A bottle of expensive wine

- A much needed get away

I think I got them all. LOL. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for a great challenge, Kimberly.

Joey Ramone, May 19, 1951 - April 15, 2001. RIP. Gone but not forgotten.

-THE END-