Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2006-10-27
Words:
9,598
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,777

Valentina Varðr

Summary:

Finding your Soul's Mate once is hard enough, how about finding it twice?

AN: Okay, long story short, I currently have this multi fandom universe going involving the Angels of Heaven and so far I've done NCIS, CSI New York and so now, it's Las Vegas's turn with everyone's two favourite guys. Links to the previous stories are at the end (if anyone's curious) and at the end of the fic 'Bethesda' there is a brief summary of the ranks amongst the Angels and Demons. There are spoilers for fannysmackin, Grave Danger and Playing with Fire in here, be warned.

Chapter 1: Part one of two

Chapter Text

Valentina Varðr

 

August 9th 1801

Dr. Nicholas Merchant continued to stand on the pier in a daze as he took in the grand image that the HMS Heureux provided. She was magnificent in both size and beauty and Nicholas simply couldn't pull his eyes away as he tugged his thick black coat tighter around himself. It was considerably chilly for August and after taking a moment to shudder against the gentle breeze he headed towards the ramp ready to board.

He'd literally stepped onto the deck when he suddenly found himself being gripped tightly by both arms and whirled round, involuntarily giving a yelp as he was twisted until he was suddenly face to face with a smirking man who had mischievous brown eyes and curling blonde hair tied back in a ponytail.

"Do you mind?" he snapped as he tugged himself free and grabbed the bag he'd dropped from his 'attack'.

"You're the new Surgeon aren't you?" the young man said still grinning happily and tilted his head, as he looked Nicholas up and down. Nicholas tried to ignore the way that his stomach twisted at the scrutiny.

"And who might you be young master?" he replied as he started edging his way around the cheerful young man. However not moments later the man had fallen into step with him as he began walking towards (where he assumed) his quarters were.

"I'm Gregory Haareg, I'm one of the Master's Mates. I heard we were getting the new surgeon today, a Doctor Merchant. Are you Doctor Merchant?"

Nicholas sighed as he stopped and turned to look at the over-excitable young man. He lowered his heavy bag to the deck before he continued with the forced conversation.

"Yes I am, but I fail to see why you find that so fascinating."

"Sorry," and this time the boy did look rather bashful, "It's just, well the last surgeon was kind of unofficially teaching me and I wanted to ask you whether you'd mind if I continued to sit on in studies before the hustle of the crew arrived."

Nicholas quirked an eyebrow as he roamed curious eyes over his new companion. On all the other ships he'd been assigned to he'd always found the crewmen to be either uninterested or wary of his career choice so to find himself with an over eager student was something both intriguing and confusing. He furrowed his brow in thought before, with a final sigh, he reached for his bag again and turned as he spoke.

"Very well, but if I find that you are more of a hindrance than a help then I shall halt any further lessons, understood?"

He was startled a moment later when Haareg took his bag from him and carried it instead with a wide genuine smile.

"Agreed."

....................................................

October 28th 1801

Nicholas quietly studied his young student as the man looked (a little greenly) at his autopsy of a rat found dead on deck.

"You wished to learn Master Haareg, its no use backing out now," he teased lightly and the young man looked up at him scowling slightly.

"I'm not going to be sick," he said petulantly and Nicholas chuckled as picked up a pair of tweezers.

"I never said any such thing."

"You implied it."

Nicholas chuckled again and carefully removed what he'd been looking for with a little 'ha'.

"What's that?" Haareg said as he moved round to Nicholas's side and the Doctor smiled at him rather cheekily.

"That, Master Haareg, is the engagement ring our Captain thought he'd lost two days ago. Seems it hadn't been lost, merely temporarily misplaced."

Haareg let out a bark of a laugh before turning stunned eyes on Nicholas, brown eyes full of awe and admiration causing the older man to flush slightly.

"How'd you know it would be in there?" the man whispered and Nicholas, out of nervous habit, pushed his glasses further up his nose with his knuckle.

"Lucky guess, and the fact that something was quite clearly stuck in this little one's throat. I merely risked it and took a chance, not something I'd suggest you apply when working with human patients Master Haareg."

"Can you call me Gregory?" Haareg said a second later and Nicholas blanched at the light blush on the younger man's cheeks as he asked.

"Why?"

"No reason, I just...well sometimes it seems a bit cold, you calling me Master Haareg and me calling you Doctor Merchant."

Nicholas studied his companion silently, still holding the ring aloft and, after a brief smile, he looked back at the piece of jewellery before answering.

"Gregory it is then."

He ignored the way his heart fluttered at the smile he was rewarded with.

................................................................

June 11th 1802

"Do you draw these yourself?"

Nicholas looked up and turned his eyes to Gregory who had his chin propped up in one hand as he carefully turned the page in one of Nicholas's journals.

"Yes, I find sometimes it helps to illustrate the subject one's self," he looked back down to continue cleaning his surgical tools, "You never know what other's might have missed otherwise."

"That's a little depressing," Gregory said as he looked up smiling, "Who's to say they missed anything?"

"How do you know they haven't?" Nicholas replied and he had his own grin pulling at one corner of his lips.

"I don't, I just trust that they haven't."

"Then you were clearly never raised by a scientist," Nicholas said quietly before looking down again. Gregory behind him remained silent but Nicholas heard when he started moving towards him and calmly looked over his shoulder when the younger man reached him.

"Do you need a hand Nicholas?"

"Do you ever call me Doctor Merchant anymore?" Nicholas said with a light chuckle and Gregory grinned at him as he reached around him to pick up his Liston knife. He'd stepped closer to do so and Nicholas looked back determinedly at the clamps he was scrubbing trying to ignore the heat that licked his insides from the close proximity. It seemed that lately it had been happening more often and he couldn't explain it as in the past it had only ever happened during his pubescent days and around girls.

Gregory, if anything, was most certainly not a girl.

"Would you prefer it if I did?" Gregory said softly and Nicholas closed his eyes as he inhaled sharply.

Gregory was watching him, he could feel it as the hairs on his arms rose as though he were cold. He exhaled shakily when he felt Gregory step even closer and now he could feel the man's warm body pressing lightly against his back.

"Gregory..." he whispered but stopped when a pair of hand's settled on both his hips. He was rendered speechless and gasped inaudibly when Gregory pressed harder against him.

"Tell me to stop," Gregory whispered into his ear and he closed his eyes, tilting his head backwards a little. He felt a pair of lips hovering over the pulse in his neck and he made to reach back when a sudden loud knocking caused them to both jump and separate. Nicholas almost knocked all his instruments onto the floor but managed to just catch the table, but he did wince when he heard some books fall to the floor as Gregory hit the bookcase.

"Enter!" he said hoarsely and he briefly looked at Gregory who'd straightened himself out enough to not look so suspicious. They both turned to find the Ship's Master poking his head through and looking at them both with a vague smile.

"Terribly sorry Doctor but I've got to steal me boy back," he said and Nicholas managed a shaky smile in return.

"Of course Gibson, he's all yours."

He could hear Gregory start moving towards the door and he risked a glance, jumping slightly when he found brown eyes locked onto him.

"Can we finish my lessons later Doctor Merchant?" he said quietly and Nicholas knew, with everything inside him, that the attractive young man wasn't at all wondering about the human biology within his texts.

He faltered, swallowed thickly and tried to maintain eye contact but found himself staring at his knife pathetically.

"I don't think tonight will be appropriate Master Haareg."

He couldn't bring himself to look up into the mournful brown eyes that had taken to haunting him in his sleep and closed his eyes painfully when the door clicked shut.

......................................................................

August 8th 1802

Nicholas stood portside looking out at the ocean stretched in every direction under the night's sky and closed his eyes to breath in the salty air. It was soothing for him and right then he desperately needed soothing as his mind was in turmoil.

It had been almost 2 months since his incident with Gregory and his mind had rocked from relief to remorse over the fact that the young man hadn't tried to contact him again. He believed his more cowardly side to be the one feeling relief because a larger part of him was missing his friend and student. The same part whispered all kinds of things to him in regards to what he was really afraid of. Was he worried that Gregory would try to...seduce? him again...

...Or was he afraid that this time he wouldn't be able to resist?

He sighed and leaned down to rest his forehead on the cool wood stopping him from falling head first into the sea and groaned slightly.

"You're a fool Nicholas Merchant," he muttered to himself and crouched down to be more comfortable in his pity.

"Why are you a fool Doctor?"

Nicholas's heart leapt and he stood turning quickly to find himself face to face with Gregory. His friend however was ashen coloured and stony faced as he regarded the man before him and Nicholas hated both it and himself instantly. Gregory was usually so full of life and such an expression should never be allowed to darken his face.

"For being a coward," he said in an empathic whisper, "For being too afraid to have what I want."

His heart sped up at the flash of light he saw in Gregory's eyes. He wanted to move forwards towards his friend but too afraid that Gregory would avoid his touch and he didn't think he could handle that.

"What was it you wanted Doctor?" Gregory said and even though he tried to keep an even voice there was a slight quiver in his words that Nicholas wanted so much to remove.

"Something I never expected to find on a ship in the middle of a vast ocean."

"What do you want Nicholas," Gregory whispered and he stepped forwards as he spoke giving Nicholas hope. He also couldn't help the small-relieved smile that came to his lips when he heard his name.

"You," he whispered and made to step forwards but Gregory placed a hand to his chest to halt him. Nicholas's heart stopped and he could feel his face fall slightly at the rejection and lowering his eyes he made to step back but the younger man followed him as he did so.

"Your quarters, this ship has eyes," Gregory whispered and Nicholas felt his heart beat again as he followed the blonde haired man back towards his quarters. He closed the door quietly behind him and moved to light the lamp, gently waving the flint out after he had done so but then gasped when he felt a warm body press up against his back. Arms encircled his waist and this time he placed his hands on the ones crossed over his stomach.

"I've missed you," Gregory said into his shoulder and Nicholas closed his eyes in remorse.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay, it's frightening, and I know I'm sorry I forced..."

"No," Nicholas said turning in the embrace and carefully he placed his hands on Gregory's cool cheeks, "Just...no."

Gregory nodded then and both sets of brown eyes fell on their companion's lips. Nicholas could feel his breath quicken and instinctively he closed his eyes when a pair of warm, dry lips pressed against his own. He stilled for a moment and then moaned as he moved his lips in sync with Gregory's, a shy tongue peeking out from his friend's mouth and licking tenderly at the seam of his. He answered by opening his mouth and felt a pleasant shiver run through him.

"Nicholas," Gregory said against his mouth and Nicholas groaned quietly. Gently he tugged the younger man backwards with him towards his cabin bed and allowed himself to simply feel the body under his hands.

..........................................................................

December 21st 1805

"Gregory!"

Nicholas frantically pushed himself through the fighting men, his own sword coming up to clash against that of a Spanish merchant's and he quickly drew his gun to fire at the man's exposed stomach. He heard a garbled sound as the man fell backwards and he looked around him.

He caught a glimpse of curly blonde hair and started fighting his way towards his lover as he cried out his name again. He saw Gregory look in his direction and they both started fighting their way towards one another through the thick mass of men, swords clashing together and guns firing everywhere until finally they were only separated by another fighting pair.

"Nicholas!"

Gregory pushed past the two men and finally found himself collapsed against Nicholas's chest, the pair moving to hold one another up and after a moment of communicating with their eyes only they both turned to stand back to back, swords raised and slashing against their attackers.

"We need to get up onto the deck!" Nicholas cried over the cannons that had just fired against the enemy ship and Gregory nodded, his hand gripping Nicholas's sleeve as they fought their way up to the stairway, Nicholas kicking out at another Spaniard and they raced up into the light to help defend their Captain and ship.

It happened so fast.

A loud crack of gunfire filled the air, deafening over the battle surrounding them and Nicholas cried out as he watched Gregory's eyes widen. As though everything were suddenly in slow motion Nicholas watched as Gregory's hand reached up to the wound in his chest and as brown eyes locked with his own he watched in horror as his lover fell backwards with nothing separating him from the ocean. Gregory's body fell overboard and before he'd even realised he'd done it Nicholas had dived in after him.

He hit the water hard and gasped as the cold filled him, although he wasn't even sure whether it was entirely the ocean that froze his blood. Choking he fought to the surface and looked around him frantically.

"Gregory!"

He drew a deep breath and dived back under the water. His eyes stung from the salt of the water but he kept them open desperately searching for his lover. Something in the corner of his eye caught his attention and kicking his legs he turned to see Gregory sinking fast.

Ignoring the way his head was quickly becoming fuzzy he pushed himself through the water, both heading further down until finally he managed to grab Gregory's shirt. He pulled the younger man up and making sure he had a tight grip he kicked hard towards the surface. It seemed further away than ever and he kept waiting for his air to run out but finally he broke the surface with a loud gasp and he quickly cradled Gregory's head against him.

"Gregory! Gregory, speak to me!" He valiantly ignored the water turning red around them and whilst still using his legs to keep them adrift he brushed the blonde hair back out of his lover's eyes.

"Gregory? Please!"

He fumbled to find a pulse until he finally had two fingers pressed against Gregory's neck.

He felt the rest of his body run cold and his heart stop.

There was no pulse, not even a weak one.

"Gregory?" he whispered and when he received no reply he lightly shook the body cradled against him.

"Gregory," he sobbed. Still no reply came and letting a tear fall from his stinging eyes he pulled his lover's head towards his lips to lightly press them against his cool forehead.

He wasn't even allowed to mourn properly though as he heard a cry from above and looking up he saw one of the Spanish merchants shouting at some of his comrades before he pointed his gun down at Nicholas.

Numbly turning to brush one last kiss against Gregory's face Nicholas didn't even flinch when the gunshot filled the air.

Then everything turned black.

............................................................

'Nicholas Merchant?'

Nicholas opened his eyes with a gasp.

 

 

End of Part one

And the links to the other fics are:

NCIS

Kendreague Part one: http://community.livejournal.com/ncis_slash/97887.html#cutid1

Kendreague part two: http://community.livejournal.com/ncis_slash/98382.html#cutid1

Never Alone-Sans Peur:
http://ncis.fictionresource.com/fic.php?story_id=02080

Bethesda:
http://community.livejournal.com/ncis_slash/114138.html#cutid1

CSI New York

Redemption:
http://www.csi-forensics.com/viewstory.php?sid=6145