Title: Preparation for War
Author: Bertie
Date: 8/11/01
Fandom: XF
Pairing: M/Sk/K
Category: Adventure
Rating: PG-13, language
Status: WIP
Archive: sure
Feedback:
bertina1967@cs.com
Series/Sequel: Possibilities, Chapter 17
Disclaimers: Rico belongs to me; the other ones are in dispute
Notes: I am perpetually in awe of my amazing beta, the Goddess Michele:)  


When the opportunity arose, he grabbed the phone and called the one person he knew would approve of him getting rid of Rico. He explained to the person his plan. "I will take on all projects he was doing if that is better for you..." he promised rashly, thinking only of his freedom from Rico.

The man on the phone snorted. "That will not be necessary, Alex. I have a much more important task for you to prove your loyalty, should you actually remove Rico from the equation. If you do, get out of Texas and come to me and I will tell you more. This project will certainly show the Consortium your loyalty, Alex. They will not question you again."

Alex sighed heavily in relief. "Thanks. I won't dissapoint you, sir. I promise."

The man just said, "Come to me, Alex. We shall keep promises for later."

"Yes, sir," Alex replied and hung the phone up.

He quickly rushed down to the basement and began his exercises knowing he would need to be in top condition for any sort of escape. A few moments later, Rico entered the playroom and silently watched Alex do his reps. Then the older man came close and caressed the rippling muscles of Alex's abdomen. His hand strayed upward and caressed a flat nipple that peaked under his touch. "You are so lovely, my Beauty. You will look even more so once I mark you. Here," he pinched one nipple, "and here." He pinched the other nipple. "No one will question who you belong to once you are wearing rings with my symbols." Alex didn't say a word but looked into Rico's eyes, the obvious question plainly visible in his bright green eyes.

"Soon, Alex. Soon. Then you will have a constant reminder of who owns you."

Rico pulled Alex to him and kissed him. "You know that I love you, don't you, my Beauty?"

Alex nodded, his face pressed against Rico's broad chest. He began to kiss and lick one of Rico's nipples and the older man groaned.

"You are insatiable, my Beauty. Come." The older man pulled Alex toward the bedroom.

*****

"There is a man I know. His name is Clint Burnes. He is a Texas Ranger. If anyone can help us, I am sure he can. He will be very curious about Hank giving up his home," Walter explained to Mulder. "They've always been close and if Hank didn't tell him anything--"

"Can you trust him?" asked his lover, concern in his hazel eyes.

Walter sighed. "I can't imagine Clint being unduly influenced by anyone except his wife. He is not the type to allow anything to corrupt him. I think he would rather die first. I will just say that I think I would know if he was."

Mulder nodded, hoping for all their sakes that another friend of Walter's had not turned.

"If anyone can get access to Hank's ranch compound it'll be Clint."

*****

Clint had not heard from Skinner in at least 10 years and was quite thrilled when his old friend called him up out of the blue just as he was heading out to eat at a local steakhouse with his buddies.

"Walt! Goddamn! What have you been up to, old buddy?"

Walter smiled at Clint's friendly voice coming from the phone. He couldn't possibly be aligned with anything corrupt, he thought quickly before saying, "It has been way too long, Clint. I think maybe we should meet. There is a very serious matter that has me here in Texas again and I."

"Well, shoot, old buddy, get your ass in gear and come eat with me and my buddies at The Steakhouse on Central. Remember that place in '88? It finally moved and has only gotten better. I was just about to head out when you called."

Walter agreed, "You bet, Clint. I'll be bringing a friend along, if that's all right."

"You know it is, Walt. Any friend of yours is always welcome."

"Thanks, Clint. We'll meet you there." Walter hastily scribbled down directions that Clint offererd and then thanked him again, saying they would be there in about 20 minutes.

"Great! Look forward to seeing you again, buddy."

"Me too."

Clint hung up the phone and was just about to go out to his car when the phone rang again. With a sigh he picked up the receiver then simply listened to the sheriff respectfully and took note of all that the sheriff explained to him. He stared at the phone for a moment after he hung up, curious and a little confused, then shook his head. He threw his keys in the air and grabbed them, whistling as he left his house.

*****

Alex was dreading the peircing to come. He knew it could be any time now. He would have to act quickly. Finding a Rico-free moment, he snuck into Jim's bedroom. He searched frantically for some type of weapon, a gun would be perfect, but he wasn't feeling fussy at this point. He was looking under the bed when he heard the door open, and he immediately crawled under it, hoping that whoever it was hadn't seen him. He saw large denim clad legs walk up to the bed. They stood there quietly for a moment, and then Jim's voice said, "Alex, you don't need to hide from me."

Alex puffed out the air he was holding. He felt ridiculous lying under the bed like a child hiding from a parent. He tried his best to look dignified when he pulled himself out from under the bed, but he didn't think he pulled it off. Wearing nothing but a black speedo while scrambling out from under a bed was not exactly dignified.

"Jim, please, don't tell Rico. I will do anything you want. Just name it." Alex hated the pathetic sound of his voice.

"Tell me what you were looking for, Alex."

Alex bit his bottom lip. Should he trust this hulk of a man? He felt he had no choice. "A weapon -- a - a gun."

"You want to get outta here, Alex?"

Alex closed his eyes. He felt like his life was on the line but he knew that he would have to have help if he were to get free of Rico. He had to chance that Jim wouldn't turn on him as others had beforehand.

"Yes, I - I have to get outta here, Jim. This is not me. I am not property and I refuse to be made into Rico's toy."

Alex nearly fainted when Jim grinned. "Damn, I was wondering if you were ever going to get a spine, boy. Here," he pulled the gun out of his holster and handed it to a stunned Alex, "do what you have to do, Alex."

Jim abruptly walked out, shutting the door behind him. Alex stared at the gun as if it wasn't real. He shook his head and couldn't believe his luck. Then he looked down at himself with a groan. "Fuck," he muttered aloud. There was no place he could hide the gun. He shrugged. It doesn't need to be hidden, he thought, feeling suddenly confident with the gun in his hand.

He went to the door and slowly opened it No one was around. All he had to do was make it to the basement stairs then he would be able to catch Rico unawares. He was sure of it.

*****

Walter was thrilled to find men he hadn't seen in years at the large table in the steak house. He was greeted warmly by all of them and returned the greetings heartily, with just one errant thought of his lover. He hoped Mulder didn't feel left out with all these good old boys from his past.

"Clint, how is Mary? I haven't heard you mention her," he asked jovially. Some of the friendly banter died down.

"Uh, Walt, um, Mary and I divorced about 3 years ago now."

"Damn, Clint. I had no idea."

Clint nodded his head. "That's ok. You and I sorta lost touch there. You couldn't have known."

Everyone at the table seemed to relax a bit and the friendly banter continued.

"So, you need my help again, old buddy?"

"Definitely, Clint. Have you heard about Hank?" Walter could tell by the sour expression on Clint's dark features that he must have heard something.

"Yes, Walt. Is that the reason you're here?"

Walter nodded. "I almost feel like it's my fault. I was trying to help a friend by bringing him to Hank's to stay when all this occurred. It was-"

Clint cut him off. "No, Walter, Hank had been getting into trouble lately all by himself. Nothing big at first. I think debts were piling up or something. Whatever was the cause- Hank's bringing in the Syndicate or whatever it is, has nothing to do with you."

Walter sighed both in relief and regret. "I don't get it, Clint. I spent last Thanksgiving with the whole family..."

"I think shortly after you left, things began to change at his ranch. Don't need to take it on yourself, Walt." He paused, looking over at Mulder who had been unaccountably quiet during the entire conversation. "Who's your friend?" Clint asked his old friend.

"Actually my subordinate, Clint. Mulder came after I learned that our mutual friend had been taken by this group that holds the deed to Hank's ranch now. He was unsuccessful in getting our friend out of there."

Clint nodded sagely. "Walt, I received a phone call just after talking to you - from the local sherrif. I couldn't understand why the sherrif warned me about you. There is something very puzzling about all this. And you know me, I refuse to let things go unanswered."

Walter grinned. "Reminds me of someone else I know." His eyes flicked over to Mulder, who was trying his best not to blush.

*****

Mulder remained relatively quiet throughout the dinner. Far used to one-on-one settings instead of large gatherings such as Walter and Clint's friends were having, he felt like he had intruded on a family reunion where he wasn't related even by marriage to anyone there. He wished they would go ahead and get to the important business at hand, but he realized he was in Walter's territory and, though he hated not taking over, he forced himself to settle down and just enjoy the meal and the friendly people, trusting his lover to do what was best for all of them.

He wasn't too thrilled when one of the wives began to flirt with him, winking and chatting him up, right in front of her husband. She had to be at least Walter's age. He was shocked. Then the big burly man snorted and said, "Don't worry, son. Vera just likes guys with big noses." He snorted, bringing Mulder's eyes to the man's own large nose.

When the little reunion started breaking up bit by bit, Mulder was relieved but frustrated. Nothing much had been said about planning or anything. Walter hadn't even given Clint a description of Alex. When they returned to the hotel in relative silence, Mulder's frustration was turning into anger. He was determined to growl at Walter the minute they entered the hotel room for neglecting to plan out or do anything constructive.

"Walter, what was that all about? I don't see how going out with your old friends is more constructive than me fucking you into the mattress!"

Walter chuckled. "Baby, you just don't know how Texans work. Every one there was taking in everything Clint and I talked about. And believe me, they are all going to be a part of Operation Rescue Alex, even though none of them will even know that is what they are working toward."

Mulder shook his head, thinking he still had a lot to learn about the man he had taken into his life. Then he smiled. "You miss this big friendly Texas life, Walter?"

"Not with you in my life, Mulder." He pressed Mulder to him and kissed him soundly.

Mulder began nibbling Walter's ear. "Are you sure they can help?" he murmured breathily into his lover's ear.

That sent a shiver down Walter's spine. "You better believe it, Fox. Clint and the boys will not let us down. In fact, if Clint has been aware of what's going on at the ranch, he probably even has a man on the inside."

"Really?"

"I wouldn't doubt it."

"Ok," and with that Fox began to devour Walter's bottom lip.
 
Continued in chapter 18