Title: Mulder's Turn
Series: Possibilities, Chapter 14
Author: Bertie
Email:
bertina1967@cs.com
Pairing: M/Sk/K
Date: 6/07/01
Rating: PG-13
Category: Adventure?
Disclaimer: Rico belongs to me, I am beginning to wonder how much CC owns these characters...
Status: WIP
Archive: please do
Note: My darling Goddess Michele...Happy Birthday! :) 



Mulder shifted uncomfortably in the airline seat, his long legs cramping badly in the confined space. No amount of physical discomfort could distract him from his main concern, however; he wanted desperately to know that Alex was okay. He knew that Walter felt guilty about Alex's capture, but Mulder knew that no one should be blamed for what had happened. He had tried to reason with Walter, tried to explain to him what was important, but Walter was being more stoic and, in Mulder's opinion, bullheaded than ever, and he seemed to shut down the more Mulder tried to reason with him. He found himself having to lie to Walter, telling him he needed to work on an X-file that was in Washington state, just to go on what he hoped wasn't a fruitless rescue mission. The fact that Walter seemed to believe him and let him go without argument or suspicion expressed more about the guilt felt by the older man more than anything else.

Mulder had quickly made the decision to run off to the ranch, hoping that maybe Rico and Alex would still be there, and he still felt it was the best solution. Mulder knew he intimidated Rico. Alex had told him before that Rico did nothing about Mulder because he was revered by many in the Consortium. And since Rico feared the smoking man more than anything, Mulder felt that maybe he could negotiate with Rico. If this was some sort of trap, if this was just one other way the smoking man was trying to keep Mulder imbalanced, then so be it. Mulder was willing to do what it took to save Alex.

As the plane began it's descent, Mulder thought about what he was doing, and decided that there was only one of two ways that he could gain access to the house. He could just surrender to the guards and be taken to the house, or he could wait until nightfall and sneak onto the grounds. The fact that he didn't know a thing about the house or the area told him that the most rational plan would be to just surrender to the guards. But he knew that Walter had done the same thing and had come away with nothing. He felt the only solution was to wait and see what was best once he arrived and had a chance to stake out the location.

Through help from Langly, he had been able to access blue prints of the house and surrounding area, but the maps could only tell him so much. He did know that Walter had been picked up by the security team in the woods, so he thought that the best thing would be to gain access another way. He shifted his legs again, and decided that he would know what to do when the time came.

*****

Walter called Scully, unable to shake the suspicion that Mulder had ditched her again. He was not surprised when she answered.

"Scully, did Mulder ditch you again?" he asked wearily after hearing her answer.

"Sir? I thought you were on vacation."

"I - I guess I still am, Scully. I am asking about Mulder...did he ditch you again?"

"Ditch? No, sir. I am working at Quantico while he is busy with a case in Florida-he told me all about it."

"Florida? He told me Washington state..." Walter sighed, realizing Mulder was definitely attempting to rescue Alex and with no one backing him up, as usual.

"Sir, would you like me to find out where he is?"

"No, that's all right, Scully. I have a good idea where he's gone..." He hung up the phone after making her promise not to worry.

Walter picked up the phone again and dialed Mulder's cell phone.

"Mulder," Surprisingly enough, he answered, sounded distracted and upset.

"Mulder, what are you doing in Texas?"

"Texas? Walter, I swear I am in Seattle!"

"Then why does Scully think you are in Florida?"

"Oh, that is because the plans changed and..."

"Spare me, I know what you are doing and I am highly upset that you thought you should do this on your own!"

"Spank me for it when I return...with Alex."

Walter recognized that tone of voice from other conversations where he got to play the bad guy and Mulder got to play the stubborn four year old. He sighed, and decided negotiation was the best way to go. "Mulder, I will give you 24 hours. If I do not hear from you after that time, I am coming after you."

"Ok," the relief in his voice was genuine, as were his next words: " I love you, Walter."

Walter sighed again, a mixture of worry and relief, and whispered, "I love you, too."

When he hung up the phone, Walter immediately dialed Frohike.

"Okay, Melvin, what is going on with Mulder."

"Listen, big guy, I don't..."

"Spill it," Walter growled.

Frohike sighed. "Well, he said he was going to try and rescue Alex. I still don't understand what he sees in the man. He was a traitor, a spy, a double agent..."

"Melvin, how is he going to rescue Alex?" interrupted Walter impatiently

"I don't know. Honestly, Walter... Langly was able to produce schematics for your buddy's ranch-Mulder took them, and then he left. He certainly didn't let us in on any plan he might have had one way or another."

"He's going in there without a plan?! Fuck!" growled Walter. "Thanks, Melvin, gotta go."

Skinner hung up the phone and quickly grabbed a few things. Looks like his stint in the old west was not finished after all.

*****

Mulder finally found a plan when a truck pulled up at the gate just outside of what appeared to be the only through way into the ranch. He had been hiding in the woods for hours, waiting for a perfect opportunity to sneak onto the grounds, and now it seemed to have arrived just when he was about to give up and try the more direct approach.

He lept aboard the truck and crouched down in the back amongst several crates that seemed to consist of farm equipment. 'Maybe Rico is deciding to make this his permanent residence,' he thought.

When the truck started up again, he was jostled left and right. He had to hold onto what looked like a motorized planter to save himself from falling out the back. When it stopped, Mulder held his breath.

He could not believe his luck when the man in the truck went inside the house without checking the truck bed. He wiggled himself out from behind the equipment and snuck around the side of the truck, not seeing or hearing anyone in the vicinity, and hoping fervently that he was being equally invisible.

If he could get to the back of the house, then he could try the back entrance which he knew, from Langly's plans, led directly into the basement. Once there, he was certain he could find Alex and, from there, it was just a matter of getting out again. He didn't think about how he would accomplish this.

Despite his growing concerns, both for himself and for Alex, he took his time, pausing every few minutes, then moving a little further along the wall of the house. Now that it was dusk, it was easier to maneuver without calling too much attention to himself. Once behind the house, he moved a little faster. He had not seen anyone and hadn't heard anything more threatening than the distant sounds of horses.

One quick sprint and he was at the back door. He checked the door, doing his best to do so as quietly as possible, and was delighted to find it unlocked. He slowly and carefully opened it, thanking the heavens that the hinges were well oiled. Slipping inside, he discovered a set of stairs leading down into the basement and a hallway that lead to a laundry room just behind the kitchen.

Mulder couldn't believe his luck, but didn't stop to take it for granted. He hadn't seen any cameras yet, but that did not mean the place was not wired. He proceeded down the steps to the basement, knowing that an ambush was very possible.

The stairs were well lit and carpeted so making noise was not a problem. He moved swiftly down the stairs and headed straight into the main room that was the 'play room.' There were wooden horses, benches and a cross. 'How Victorian,' thought Mulder as he looked at the cross, suspecting the implications of it, but not wanting to think too hard about it.

He noticed a side door on the far left of the room. He walked over and touched the knob, which turned easily in his hand. He had a bad horror movie moment where he thought it was too quiet, then brushed away any lingering doubts and pushed the door open. No monsters rushed out, no Consortium goons pulled guns on him, no alarms went off- all he saw was Krycek lying on the bed sleeping. His breath gusted out of him in a sigh of relief and he rushed over to the bed, scooped the beautiful man up in his arms and kissed him awake.

"Rico?" asked Krycek groggily as he opened his eyes.

Mulder groaned to himself. "No, baby, its me. I am here to take you away from him."

He was shocked to see a sad look come into those beautiful eyes. "You have to leave, Mulder. He will be here any moment!" Krycek murmured, trying to push him away.

"But Alex, we can leave now! Together!"

"No, we can't. He probably already knows you're here."

"I don't care. I will get you out of here one way or another!"

"Mulder, whenever someone tries to rescue me, I'm the one who is left behind. Believe me, he doesn't make it easy for me."

Mulder stared into Alex's sad eyes and realized that he may have overstepped his bounds by boldly doing this on his own.

"If he touches you, I will kill him!"

Alex looked into Mulder's eyes incredulously. "You know damn well he has done more than just touch me, Mulder."

"Oh god, baby, I am so sorry! I just had to see you, see for myself that you were all right."

"You should leave. If he hasn't seen you, then maybe you can get away."

They were interrupted by the sound of the door opening.

"Yes, Mr. Mulder, I think you should listen to Alex. He is the one who has to deal with me after you're gone."

Mulder turned to see Rico for the first time. The man was big, strong, even with one arm, Mulder could easily be crushed by the bulk of the man alone.

"It is so good to see you, Mulder, in the flesh. I have seen many pictures and videos of you. You are such a lovely man, I really understand Spender's attraction to you."

Alex knew that tone. Rico was toying with Mulder, which was not a good sign.

"Rico, please...let him go. He is alone, he did not bring back up. No one knows he is here."

Rico just smiled enigmatically, lifted a small tape recorder in his big palm and pressed play.

The sound of Walter arguing with Mulder from the cell phone was broadcast.

"Shit!" groaned Mulder.

"You have 24 hours it seems. A lot can happen in 24 hours," Rico entoned menacingly.

"Please, Master, let him go. He will leave before Walter comes and then he won't bother you again. Please."

Mulder was sickened by that pleading pathetic voice coming from Alex. It was unreal. The 'Master' didn't surprise him at all, though.

Rico glared at Alex, speaking volumes about what he had plans for him later. "As much as I enjoy the thought of all of you together, I think I have some other ideas in mind, Beauty," he growled, using his pet name for Alex to upset and humiliate him.

"Master, please!" Alex rose from the bed and shifted down to a kneeling position, offering himself to his master.

Rico moved over to Alex and caressed the dark hair. "I will not punish you for this, my Beauty. It is not your fault entirely that you have bull-headed lovers. I think I will reserve any punishments to your ex-lover..."

"Master! NO!" Alex cried before thinking.

"Sh! My pet, do not worry yourself. I will not damage the Consortium's darling, but that doesn't mean I won't have fun first."
 
Continued in chapter 15