Mulder was so glad to return to DC. He was desperate to spend more time with Skinner. 'I wonder if he will let me call him Walter or will he expect me to call him sir even in the bedroom.' A fantasy of having to salute Skinner in more ways than one before the guy would fuck him ran through his mind. He would just have to take his chances. The big guy was one fantasy he wanted to make a reality.

Scully had called him once while he was in the air and had enjoyed her time at Quantico. He had filled her in on what he'd been doing. He would tell her more after talking with Skinner, she would be waiting for him in the basement 'with bells on' she told him.

He rushed to his boss's office since it was only around noon and smiled at Kim who waved him through the door. He was so glad that Skinner had known to expect him. Certainly the big guy would ignore the little white lie he told to get him to investigate that X-File.

Skinner was busy with some paperwork then he turned and smiled at Mulder.

"Good to see you back in one piece. I heard a few of the locals were very upset with your behavior,"

"I know, sir, and I did my best to lessen the fallout."

"Sheriff Thomas was very impressed with you, Mulder."

Mulder nodded, desperately wanting to just leap into his boss's arms and get kissed breathless.

"You did well, Mulder. If I'm not mistaken, Scully is waiting for you in the basement."

"Oh, yeah, right. I should go, then.."

"Mulder."

"Yes, sir?"

"Do you think you'll be free for dinner tonight? My place? At eight?"

"I need to check on a few things and I'll let you know."

"Very well."

With that said, Skinner returned to some paperwork on his desk.

Mulder pouted a second then left Skinner's office. He went much more sedately down the stairs than he did rushing up them to see his boss.

****

Scully sat behind Mulder's desk, looking like she belonged there, when Mulder wandered into the basement office.

"Hey, why the long face?" she asked. Mulder had been upbeat when he talked to her last.

"Oh, um, you remember that I was hoping for that big date?"

"What? She cancelled already?"

Mulder smirked. "I never said it was a woman."

"Oh! Hm, ok.the guy blew you off?"

"Dana Katherine Scully! I never knew you were aware of such language!"

She snorted. "Get over it. Tell me what happened?"

"I wish that he had blown me, then I would've felt better about the whole situation."

"Mulder- What situation?"

"He wants me to have dinner with him tonight."

"Huh? That's what has you looking like your dog's been run over?"

"He just was so business-like and I feel like he's setting me up to let me down nicely."

"Or he could just be setting you up for hot sex in his living room."

Mulder's eyes bugged out. That didn't sound like the good Catholic girl he was certain Scully was.

"Alright, what did you do with Scully?"

Dana laughed. "Mulder, I'm not a nun. I do date - well, it's been a long time, but I used to have a gay roommate in college. We would tell each other all about our foibles in dating. I learned a lot. So don't leave out the details." She grinned widely.

He shook his head, amazed at his partner.

The phone rang and they went to work afterwards. Mulder hoped Scully was right but she didn't know Skinner was his date. He wasn't about to tell her that unless he was wrong and Skinner did intend to spend time with him. If the big guy actually wanted to date him, then he would tell her. Otherwise, there would be no point and it would just be awkward.

*****

7: 45pm

Mulder drove to his boss's apartment with a heavy heart. He was certain this would be a kiss off. He knew Skinner desired him, but the older man must have realized it was asking too much to work together and have a relationship...or whatever.

Frohike had given him tickets to the next b-ball game at the MCI center, but Mulder didn't want to jump the gun and ask Skinner to go with him if he were going to turn him down tonight.

Mulder sighed heavily. He understood why his boss would have misgivings, but damn, the kiss had been amazing. He already had envisioned a few masturbatory fantasies from that alone.

Just outside the dreaded door, he paused, contemplating just leaving. His kidneys thought better of pissing off his boss, so he knocked.

After a moment, the door opened. Skinner's large frame took up the space well.

"I wasn't certain what to bring so I brought both."

Mulder handed two bottles of wine to the big man who looked sexy in his dress shirt sans tie, top two buttons open to reveal a small bit of hair and the collar of an undershirt.

"Thank you, Mulder." Skinner opened the door for him, looking at the labels on the bottles. "The red will be perfect for the pasta."

Mulder smelled a delicious blend of spices and tomato sauce in the air and was glad at least he would eat well before given the axe.

"I'm just waiting for the garlic bread to finish, and then everything will be ready."

Mulder nodded, suddenly uncertain what to do with his hands without the wine bottles in them. He followed his boss into the dining room where two plates, a salad bowl and wine glasses stood waiting for them. It looked very comfortable, almost romantic, and Mulder felt a patter of hope in his gut.

Skinner went into the kitchen, putting away the extra wine. Mulder waited for the other man to return. He held a wine bottle opener in his hand so Mulder handed the bottle to him. Skinner opened it then set it down, leaving again to put the opener away.

He returned with a delicious smelling pan of pasta and nodded for Mulder to sit while he served. Mulder sat and watched as Skinner served them both. Then served them the wine.

They ate heartily, passing the garlic bread between them. Mulder watched the big man under his lashes a few times, liking to see Skinner in such a domestic scene. The pasta was wonderful. Mulder rarely ate so well.

When they were finished, Mulder helped clear the dishes and utensils.

Unexpectedly, Skinner stopped Mulder at one point and said, "I have something for you."

Mulder's brows rose with curiosity. He followed Skinner out to the living room. The big man picked something up from behind the end table. It was a flower arrangement.

"This is for you." Mulder nearly laughed at the flush that flooded his boss's face. The older man looked so cute with the extra color to his cheeks.

"The florist, Milly, said there was a special meaning to each flower..." He stopped, looking a bit embarrassed then handed Mulder a card. "It explains what each flower means."

Mulder scanned the card-hope, romance and truth. He looked up at the older man curiously.

"Mulder, I want to tell you...You mean a lot to me but I think we need to slow down."

"What?"

"I just thought it would be a better idea if we take it slow."

Mulder whimpered internally. His cock was definitely saying goodbye. He didn't know what hair was up Walter's ass, but he wasn't about to argue with him.

"Alright." He kept his voice calm though inside he felt like he was dipping overboard.

"It's not that I don't want you, Mulder, I just think that if we do this, I want to do this right. I guess, I'm old fashioned, and want to make sure the person I'm with wants to be with me before I make a commitment."

'Walter has actually said the 'c' word!!' Mulder screamed inside his head. 'I don't know if this is a joke or not. It doesn't seem real.' Before he did something rash, Mulder decided to say something first.

"You really want a committed relationship with me, Walter?"

"Yes, Mulder, I do."

Mulder pondered that for a moment then nodded, looking down at the flowers Walter had given him. They were certainly a lovely arrangement. The florist must have a rare gift.

"I think maybe it's time you started calling me Fox, Walter."

Walter grinned. Things were going just as he wanted.


Part four