Chance Meeting continued…

HUGE Beta thanks goes to the Goddess Michele who always helps with the added word here or there:)
 
 

Mulder harrumphed. His cell phone was ringing and he didn't want to answer it. He finally rose from the sofa and grabbed the phone that was still sitting forlornly on top of the TV where he had put it last night.

"Mulder," he breathed into it sleepily.

"Hey there, babe, not up yet?"

"Krycek, what the fuck are you doing calling me at..." he looked down at his watch, "Six in the morning-I was just about asleep!"

"I think you need to come to Pittsburgh."

"And why would I do that on your say so?"

"Well, I think you should find out why your lover was seen dragging a stoned man about your age into his hotel room with him six hours ago."

Mulder paused. "What the hell do you know about my lover and what he is doing?"

"What can I say, Mulder? There I was minding my own business when a very familiar bald headed man walks into a bar that I just happened to be in with this man a little older than the usual boy toy."

Mulder sighed. "And this means what to me?"

"Well, shit, I didn't know you two swung that way. Maybe I should come down there and..."

"We don't. I am sure W-he has a logical explanation, and frankly, I don't think it is any of your business anyway."

Alex laughed. "Fine by me, Foxy boy. Just thought you might want to be in on your AD's antics."

"I'm hanging up now, Alex," growled Mulder and he clicked off his cell phone more frustrated at Krycek's call than he wanted to admit.

He scrubbed his face with his right hand and wondered if he should just try to fall back asleep or actually contemplate what Krycek said. In ten minutes he was out the door, cell phone in hand.

*****

Several hours later Mulder found himself in Pittsburgh wondering why he would let anything Krycek said get to him. With apprehension, he went to the hotel he knew Walter was staying at. He hated that his unceasing devotion to finding the truth was slopping over into his personal life, but he had to find out. Exactly what he was looking for, he didn't know. He just hoped Krycek was as full of it as usual. Maybe the former FBI agent just wanted to bring him here to keep him out of DC for some reason. He groaned at himself. Too late now, loverboy, he thought to himself. What the fuck am I going to tell Walter? He suddenly grinned, knowing exactly what he would tell his lover.

He swaggered into the hotel knowing what he would do to appease any uncertainties Skinner might have about him being here. He went to the desk and asked for Walter's hotel number. The clerk gave it to him and he went to it and knocked. No answer. Fuck, he thought, he's probably going to be at the precinct all day. He grumbled to himself, wondering if maybe he should just return to DC. Sudden movement caught his eye and Krycek appeared beside him, moving with the eerie fluidity that he always had, and that Mulder reluctantly admired.

"Okay, Krycek, I'm here. Now tell me why. What have you to offer as proof of this affair?"

Krycek smiled at him enigmatically. "I knew you cared about me, Mulder."

Mulder groaned. "I did not come here to play games with you, Krycek. I came to find out about Walter. That's it!"

Krycek smirked at him. "I am not playing games with you, Mulder. I have been researching this guy that Walter was with. Seems he's a chiropractor with his own little boy toy. I can only assume that he and the Skinman must have known each other by the way they were very familiar with each other…"

Mulder grimaced. "Fine. So? They're probably old buddies. Nothing wrong with two old friends sharing old times together." Even as he spoke the words aloud, Mulder knew he didn't believe them. It wasn't that he didn't trust Skinner, it was just…

"If you believe that, then why are you here?" Krycek asked snidely.

Mulder sighed. "Hey, I can see my lover anytime I want to..." he protested lamely.

Krycek snorted. "All right, then. We can play this your way. So I guess you don't want to stake out this "old friend's" house? It isn't that far away."

Mulder pressed his head to the door and groaned. "Let's go, Krycek."

He followed the irritating bastard to his car and watched in fascination as the one armed man maneuvered the car through traffic rather well. When Mulder noticed the neighborhood Krycek was driving in, he grumbled.

Krycek smirked at him. "Yeah, the guy has some money. No doubt about it. Think Walter is a gold digger?"

Mulder glared at Krycek but remained silent. Krycek had parked just down the way from a neat affluent looking house, and a moment after he stopped the car; they noticed the front door open and a young dark haired man walked out. He was dressed conservatively and was rather handsome in a boyish way.

Krycek grinned. "Seems the doc likes them young."

"Well, that bursts a hole in your theory, Alex," growled Mulder.

Krycek shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not."

Just then an older man stepped out and walked up to the young man who was just about to enter his car. They kissed and said something to each other then separated.

Mulder grinned in triumph. "I knew it. They're lovers, and they're both hot. Why would either one of them cheat?"

Krycek remained silent then pointed at the man in the classy convertible, who was now talking animatedly into a cell phone, seeming excited, although they couldn't hear him. "Who is he talking to if he is so in love with his rich doctor?"

Mulder shrugged. "Probably his mom."

Krycek snorted. "Next you're going to tell me his mom is one of those PFLAG supporters."

"She may be."

Krycek ignored Mulder and followed the convertible as it left the driveway.

"Now where are we going?" asked Mulder, now wishing he had opted for his first plan, which involved breaking into Walter's hotel room and waiting for his lover in the bed with no clothes on.

"Just doing a little research, Mulder. Keep your pants on." Krycek leered then looked down at Mulder's crotch pointedly. "Unless you'd rather drop them."

Mulder just shifted his legs, trying not to show any signs of arousal to Krycek. "What, are you so hard up, Alex, you need to come after other men's boyfriends?"

Alex didn't respond to that at all. Mulder wondered if he had hurt the assassin's feelings then he berated himself for even thinking such a thing.

"Lookee where the doctor's boy toy is pulling into." Krycek motioned with his head in the direction of the Big Q just up ahead.

"And this proves what?"

"That boy toy there is as stupid as he looks."

Mulder watched as the young man left his vehicle with a Big Q nametag on.

"Just because he works in a superstore doesn't mean he is stupid, Alex."

Krycek just shook his head. "Why does he work at a place like this when he has Mister Money Bags at home?"

"Maybe because he realizes he doesn't have to rely on his lover's money to get by." His stomach clenched, realizing that Walter probably felt the same thing about Mulder's money.

Krycek began to park the car and Mulder groaned, "What are you doing?"

"I am going to ask Little Lord Fauntleroy if he knows where his lover was last night."

"Krycek…" Mulder realized he was talking to the other man's round rear end and he sighed.

"Coming?" asked Krycek, looking back at Mulder still sitting in the car stubbornly.

Mulder got out as Krycek shut the door on his side. Mulder followed behind Krycek sullenly, feeling like a little boy following after his big brother.

In no time at all Krycek had found the man he was looking for and had him trapped in a corner of the hardware section looking frightened.

"Do you know of a Doctor David Cameron? We need to know if you were aware of the man he was seen with last night about 11pm in a local bar," Krycek interrogated.

"Um, I know of him…he was my chiropractor," Michael began, feeling like he was not close enough to security to alert them.

Mulder quickly jumped in. "Forgive my partner, he gets a little carried away, being new and all." He glared at Krycek then turned back to the frightened young man. "Michael," Mulder continued, reading the name off the man's nametag. "We just need to have certain facts straight on a case we are on. Normally we would ask these questions in a more formal setting but my partner gets a bit enthusiastic." Mulder couldn't believe how he sounded like Scully. If she were there she would be laughing her ass off.

Michael nodded. "Maybe we could speak privately elsewhere?" he asked, feeling better after the man with the big nose but warm eyes talked to him.

"That would be perfect," purred Krycek and Mulder had to suppress a groan of frustration.

Michael brought them into an office far from the general shopping areas and asked, "Is this a police investigation?"

"Yes," Mulder spoke before Krycek could say something clever.

"I don't like to speak so openly about it at work, but David and I are involved. He told me he met an old friend and they stayed the night together catching up."

Krycek snorted. Mulder shook his head at him. Then sighed.

"That is all he told you?" Mulder asked.

"Yes. Have you spoken to David? I am sure he could enlighten you better than I could."

Mulder sighed. "Michael, this isn't a police investigation. I was dragged to Pittsburgh under false pretenses yet again. I want to apologize for interrupting you while you work."

Krycek laughed out loud. "Like he was doing something important."

Mulder glowered at Krycek and said distinctly, "Come on, partner. Let's go…now."

Krycek smiled then nodded his head to Michael the department store guy and walked out.

Mulder shook his head. "By the way, my name is Mulder…Fox Mulder. Apparently your boyfriend met with mine last night and my 'partner' added two and two and came up with five."

"Your boyfriend was a Marine?" asked Michael, suddenly curious.

"Yes, I assume they might have met somewhere in the military…"

Michael shook his head. "No, David wasn't ever in the military."

Mulder paused then shrugged his shoulders. "Well, maybe they met elsewhere…"

Michael nodded but then became uncertain about when and where David and his friend had met…and exactly what their relationship had been.

"Hey, um, are you doing anything later? For lunch maybe?" Mulder asked the younger man, who seemed to be lost in thought for a moment there.

"You're asking me out?"

"Well, just to talk, you know. Nothing fancy."

"Yeah, I know the perfect place we can meet."

"Great. Can I pick you up?"

"Sure."

"What time?"

"12:30pm."

"Great, I will meet you here."

Mulder then left, his spirits feeling better, though there was still a nagging doubt.

Once outside, Krycek was leaning against his car looking suave, like a model waiting for his turn down the catwalk.

"Just take me back to Walter's hotel, if you don't mind."

"What, and leave you all alone in Pittsburgh by your lonesome?"

"You don't need to worry about me, Alex, I will be fine. I am a grown fibbie."

Krycek leaned forward and purred into Mulder's ear, "I love it when you call me Alex."

*****

In his office, Michael grabbed his cell phone and rang Emmett. "You won't believe who just came by to see me…"

*****

Emmett was shocked and excited to learn that Special Agent Fox Mulder had come to see Michael, and with what was probably a top-secret mission. It was very intriguing. Emmett had first learned about Mulder from an old boyfriend's sister who was all into UFOs and the possibility of aliens on Earth. Frankly, Emmett would have ignored the whole thing, being far more interested in the boyfriend than the sister, but one day she sat him down and they watched a news conference that Mulder had done at some point. Emmett was mesmerized by the man's presence. He didn't need gaydar to pick up how hot the man looked.

"Michael, this Agent Mulder is going to take you out for lunch?"

"Yes." Michael tried to sound nonchalant about it but he was picking up the enthusiasm Emmett exuded.

"And where are you going to take him?" Emmett enquired, trying also to sound blasé about it all.

"Emmett..."

"No fair keeping secrets, Michael. You know how much I have wanted to meet Agent Mulder!"

"What? I do not! This is the first time I have heard of him."

"You are forgetting that time when you were sick with the stomach flu and I was there to help you..."

"You mean the time you went to the drug store to pick up my prescription, and tried to pick up the pharmacist?" Michael sneered. "Well, no wonder. I couldn't recall my own name at that point, let alone any names you might have been babbling in a post-orgasmic haze."

Emmett pouted briefly, then recovered. "Well, you know now. Do you know how long it has been since I dated Mark?"

"Mark? Did I know Mark?"

"Of course you did...see, it has been so long that you have forgotten him! That is how long I have wanted to meet Agent Mulder."

Michael tried to remember a Mark. "Don't tell me you are talking about that guy you spent only half a day with before you broke up with him."

"Well, what did you expect? When he was dressing to leave, he put on Joe Boxers, Tommy jeans, and Bass Weejuns--the man had no taste at all!"

"Emmett, that was only five months ago."

Emmett sighed dramatically, and tried to force a tear. "Please tell me!" he wailed.

"Oh, all right. I thought I would bring him to the diner."

"The diner?! Are you crazy? That isn't where you take someone like him!"

"Then where? Anywhere impressive will require reservations."

Emmett groaned at his young friend's apparent lack of taste in restaurants, then gave Michael a saucy grin. "Maybe we can convince him to come to Babylon with us?"

Michael laughed. "Emmett, you just said that the diner isn't the place for him, are you sure Babylon is?"

"Honey, if he has a boyfriend, he will love Babylon!"

Michael sighed and gave in knowing that when Emmett set his mind to something...

*****

Once Mulder was in his car, he didn't have to look back to know that Krycek would follow him. He turned into the Big Q parking lot, and waited at the main entrance for Michael to leave. He tapped the horn lightly when Michael came out the front door, and the younger man waved an acknowledgement, then sauntered over to the vehicle and slipped into the passenger seat.

Michael smiled at him and said, "Wow, front door service. I like that."

Mulder smiled back, warming up to the boyish charm that the younger man had in droves.

"So where is this place you referred to earlier?"

"On Liberty Avenue. There's someone I would like you to meet."

"That's downtown, right? It's been awhile since I've been here, but with a little help, I think I can find the way."

Michael nodded, for just a moment feeling like he was going on a blind date. They remained quiet the whole time they drove. Mulder was glad he had eaten some crackers he found in his car just before he went to pick Michael up. He hadn't eaten a thing since the day before.

In no time at all they had arrived. Michael told Mulder where to park, and then he led the handsome agent into the quaint diner on Liberty Avenue.

Some men sitting in a booth at the front of the restaurant nearly succumbed to simultaneous whiplash as they craned their heads around for a look at Michael and his companion, and one of them leapt from the table and rushed up to them, crowing, "Mister Mulder, it is an honor to meet you."

"Emmett!" Michael groaned between teeth clenched in an embarrassed smile.

Mulder gave Michael an understanding smile, then gave Emmett a welcoming grin, even as he was loosening Emmett's control over his legs. Emmett was so glad Michael had insisted he could be there after gluing himself to Michael's side. The poor guy had no choice but to take Emmett with him to meet the agent.

"Uh, hi… I know you from…?" Mulder asked kindly of the man who seemed to be trailing after him and Michael like some sort of groupie.

"That amazing seminar you did in '98 about alien abductions. That was so 'brill'! My friend, Todd, swears he was abducted when he was 5 but I keep reminding him that he was adopted at that time, and that no matter what his boyfriend tells him, his father is not from Uranus."

"Mulder, this is my friend, Emmett. And before you ask, I'll tell you-his enthusiasm is genetic, not catching," Michael interrupted before Emmett could go into further details about his friend's abduction experiences.

"Nice to meet you, Emmett." Mulder reached his hand out and Emmett grabbed it as if it was an ancient relic and he was a big gay Indiana Jones.

Just then a red headed older lady came bustling up. "Michael, who is this gorgeous hunk of man you have brought to see your mother? Tell me he is single!"

"Mom, this is Fox Mulder; he's an FBI agent."

"What happened to David? You didn't get into trouble did you?" Debbie frowned for a moment, then turned her toothy grin back on Mulder, who immediately felt warmed, if a little overwhelmed, by the woman's presence.

"No, mom. David is fine. Could you just let us order something to eat?"

"Michael Novotny! This is my diner and I refuse to be ordered around by my own son when I am just meeting this nice gentleman here!" She grabbed one of Mulder's arms and pulled him toward one of the stools at the counter.

While Debbie was chatting Mulder's ear off, Emmett was nearly peeing in his pants with excitement.

"Will you calm down, Emmett. He's not exactly Cher."

Emmett snorted. "You are just jealous because you have a boyfriend and I am unattached-and by unattached I mean ready to make that man's Most Wanted List!"

"Emmett, for your information, Mulder is attached as well."

"Damn, Michael, you didn't have to go and spoil it for me!"

Just then the front door of the diner opened and Michael saw the other man Mulder had been with. He tried to feign ignorance when Emmett squealed, "Who is that?"

"I don't know, I think he is Mulder's partner."

"Why do all the gorgeous men have to be taken?" Emmett pouted.

Michael was about to disabuse Emmett of his mistaken notions when he thought better of it. While he loved his friend dearly, he knew just how exhausting even a little slice of Em pie could be, and he figured that letting Emmett think that Mulder and the other man were together would certainly put at least a small damper on things. He had forgotten about his mother, though.

Debbie squealed almost as loudly as Emmett when Alex walked over to Mulder.

"You must be a friend of Mulder's. Has anyone ever told you, you have the prettiest eyes ever?"

Alex smiled uncertainly at Debbie, wondering what Mulder had gotten himself into with this crowd.

"Debbie, this is my partner, Alex."

She groaned. "Do all the hot ones have to be taken?"

"Um, we work together, Mrs. Novotny."

"Just Debbie, gorgeous. So, Alex, I take it you're single?"

"Uh, yeah, at the moment," he purred and gave her a wink, which she appreciated, then dropped a second flirtatious wink to Mulder, who was less thrilled.

Debbie smiled. "He seems dangerous, Fox. But in that good way. Are you sure you aren't with him?"

"Not permanently," Mulder grumbled.

Michael came to their rescue and shooed his mom back to work.

"Mulder, if you would like to join us at the table, your partner is welcome as well."

Alex grinned, while Mulder decided to go along for the moment. Michael introduced them to Ted who was quite happy to meet the two men, as their comparative ages made him feel not quite so old.

While they were waiting for menus and coffee, Mulder felt a foot slowly trail up his leg. He could not believe it was Michael being so brazen, even though he was sitting across from him, so it had to be Alex, who was apparently oblivious to Mulder's presence, and talking with Ted about stocks.

Emmett was going on and on about his friend's abduction experiences but Mulder was only half-listening to the melodramatic retelling of past probings. The foot was very dexterous. One of the toes had managed to pull down one of his socks and the toe was now running up and down his bare skin. He shivered.

'The bastard,' Mulder groaned inwardly, feeling his body involuntarily react to the touch.

He was quite shocked at how the thought of Alex playing footsie with him was turning him on, even as another part of his mind was equally shocked that Alex could talk about stocks and the market as if he normally dealt with such things on a daily basis. Of course, for all he knew that is what the assassin did in his spare time. Saving up for a nice retirement. The idea nearly caused him to laugh out loud, and he wondered if there were retirement homes for assassins. Then he wondered briefly if he should take off his shoe and trail his leg along the other man's.

Just then the food arrived and such thoughts and the foot disappeared.

Mulder was almost hurt that he didn't feel that foot return while they ate. He pouted and ate, letting the prodigious pontificator Alex talk more business with Ted. Mulder was wondering why the assassin seemed so attentive to the brooding man, who looked like he belonged more in an executive board meeting than in a gay diner. He did notice that the guy did have warm brown eyes that looked a lot like Walter's and that made Mulder pout even more. He had better find out that Walter cheated or--or--what was he thinking? Walter had better not have had sex with this David person!! And never mind that he would be hurting over this—what about Michael, who was just a cute young man. It would be thoroughly wrong for either of them to have to put up with cheating boyfriends!

He looked more attentively at Michael, and noticed how his hair was similar to Alex's in style and color, and how they both had very adorable features.  He was troubled for a moment by this line of thought, but continued eating, listening to Alex and Ted talk as if they were business partners from way back.

"Why not talk about something much more interesting? Like Babylon," interjected Emmett, quite upset how the conversation had fallen into the stocks and interest rates tar pit of death.

"Yeah, Alex, Mulder; there's a cool dance club we usually go to. Maybe you'd like to come with us
tonight?"

Alex grinned and said, "I'd love to."

Emmett nearly melted all over the table. "Are you sure you're taken?"

Alex shook his head. "Actually, I am very single at the moment."

Both Ted and Emmett boggled at that. Alex lapped up the attention immediately, upsetting Mulder for no discernable reason.

"Alex, I thought you were here to prove something to me," he reminded the younger man in low tones.

"Don't worry, Mulder, I have a feeling the evening will tell us everything we wanted to know," Alex
replied enigmatically.

"Did you pack more clothing, Mulder? Armani is gorgeous but hardly the thing to wear at Babylon's, unless you are there on official business."

"You're right, Emmett. I might have to go shopping."

"The mall is just down from the Big Q. If you want, after taking me back there you can go pick something out," suggested Michael.

"Yeah, I think I will do that, Michael. What time should we meet you guys at Babylon?"

"We usually get there by 11."

"Alright. That gives me plenty of time to buy a suitable outfit and speak to Walter."

Michael nodded.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah. Gotta get back to the store. See ya later, guys."

Michael and Mulder rose from the table and both paused to look back at Alex who seemed quite content to remain sitting with Ted and Emmett.

"I'll catch up with you later, Mulder. Just talking with Ted here."

Mulder's brows shot up but he replied, "Alright, see you later."

Mulder took Michael back to the Big Q and then went in search of the mall. When he found it, he hit the men's apparel stores, and remembered why he hated shopping. He was looking through some shirts when Alex appeared from out of nowhere and said, "Hey, these would look amazing on you, Mulder."

He held up a pair of leather pants.

"Seems more like your style, Alex."

"Come on, I bet Walter would burst through his Hugo Boss seeing you wear these."

Mulder looked at them more closely. "Hm, maybe you're right. Let me see the size."

Mulder took the pants and looked at the size. "I'll try them on."

"Come on; let me take a look, Mulder," Alex cajoled after waiting patiently outside the changing room.

Mulder came out, wearing only his undershirt and the leather pants. Alex whistled. "Look at yourself, Mulder. Walter will probably want to rip those things off you the minute he sees you."

Mulder ignored him and went to the full length mirror, twisting and turning and looking at himself, to determine if he should buy the pants. Alex came up behind him and whispered in his ear, "You just scream sex, Mulder."

Mulder could feel Alex's reaction to the pants and he thrust back hard. "Do you mind?"

Alex guffawed but stayed where he was, wrapping his arms around the lean man. "Walter will wonder what he ever saw in that rich doctor when he sees you in these."

Mulder was about to protest when he saw that Alex's proximity was definitely causing a reaction in his pants. He flushed and tried to pull away but Alex held fast. Then Mulder felt Alex's lips brush his ear followed by a nibble and he gasped. He closed his eyes while trying to struggle but Alex held him tight.

"May I help you?" A store attendant came to Mulder's rescue and Alex let him go.

"I think I'll take these. Let me change and you can ring them up for me," Mulder told the attendant and returned to the changing rooms, leaving Alex and his sizeable boner with the attendant.

When Mulder returned and purchased the pants, Alex asked, "Now what, Mulder? Need a place to stay? My hotel isn't very far from Walter's."

Mulder didn't want to go to Alex's hotel room, but he needed to see if Walter was back from work, so he agreed he would follow Alex to his hotel.

Once there he ignored Alex and called Walter's cell phone.

"Skinner."

The deep voice made his heart beat faster. God, he wanted to be with his lover so badly...

"Walter, can you spare a moment?"

"Uh, in a few, Mulder, I'm not alone."

"Ok, please call me back at this number."

"Will do. Talk to you later."

Mulder sighed as he hung up the phone.

"Didn't let you speak to him, did he?"

"Alex, he is with the local PDs."

"Likely story."

Mulder refused to respond to that. He took off his suit coat, then opened his tie and undid the first few buttons on his shirt. He leaned back on the bed and watched as Alex grinned while taking his own ever-present leather jacket off.

"Making yourself at home?"

"I'm just making myself comfortable, Alex, until Walter calls me back."

"All right, Mulder, but don't cry on my shoulder if he doesn't return your call."

"Do you have to be such a pest, Alex? Don't you have something better to do like spy on local officials or something?"

"Hey! I'm letting you share my hotel room gratis and this is the thanks I get?"

Mulder shut his eyes. "Okay, I'm sorry, Alex. It's just a little disturbing to get a call at 6am telling
you that your lover is cheating on you. It isn't the most pleasant of wake up calls, you know."

"I know, Mulder. It wasn't exactly what I came to Pittsburgh for, trust me."

Mulder laughed, but there was a bitter sound to it. "Yeah, I guess I have to, Alex, since so far I have no other way of knowing if what you are saying is true or not."

"It wasn't my plan to see a familiar face while I was just relaxing after a job, Mulder, honest."

Mulder shook his head. "I know, Alex. Thanks for being concerned for me. I appreciate it."

Mulder then laid his head back and closed his eyes, suddenly aching to hear the phone ring and feeling more desperate each moment it didn't. Alex, showing both good judgment and discretion, didn't press the frustrated agent and instead sat quietly on the other side of the bed and began to clean his gun. Mulder didn't know where the other man had hidden it, but, for lack of anything else, began to watch him clean it.

"Nice piece you have there," he muttered.

Alex grinned. "Thanks."

They then began an impromptu conversation about guns and their experiences with different kinds. When Mulder glanced at his wristwatch he growled, "Damn, it's been an hour. Where the fuck is he?"

Mulder refused to look at Alex; certain he would see a smug expression on the other man's face.

"Maybe he was just tied up with something that happened, Mulder."

Mulder rolled his eyes at the double entendre, although Alex didn't look like he'd even realized what he'd said. "Thanks for your concern, Alex, but I don't think I need it right now."

Alex lifted his hand, showing he wouldn't continue any longer. They sat quietly for awhile more. Then Mulder couldn't stand it any longer.

"Fuck, I hate this."

He rose and Alex did as well.

"Where are you going, Mulder?"

"What's it to you, Alex? Listen, you've been nice to let me know and all, but I think it's time we parted ways."

Alex nodded. "I agree. We should split up."

At the other man's apparent ease with this decision, Mulder suddenly changed his mind. "Oh no, Alex. No fucking way am I letting out of my sight now."

"Mulder, that's a bit irrational, don't you think?"

Mulder snorted. "Hey, what can I say? I get a little suspicious of a guy who has been hitting on me all day and suddenly he doesn't want to be around me anymore. You are either coming with me or you're sitting here with me waiting for Walter's call."

Mulder sat purposely hard on the bed and folded his arms on his chest, waiting for Alex to say something. They sat quietly for a long time then Mulder began to seriously pout.  Alex could almost hear him. He wanted to laugh, finding Mulder-the-four-year-old, along with the whole situation, quite hysterical.

"Hey, in a few hours we can go to Babylon," he reminded the other man.

"I refuse to go there without Walter knowing where I am."

Alex shrugged and looked purposely at the phone. Mulder hesitated.

"Uh, I just--" he sighed dramatically then grabbed the phone and dialed Walter's cell number again. He slammed the phone down when he heard a recording. "He's turned it off!"

"Maybe he's in a courtroom."

Mulder sighed. "Yeah, he could be."

Mulder sat for a moment, lost in thought. Alex studied the determined look on the other man's face then smiled when Mulder looked at him.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing. Not a thing, Mulder."

"Good."

Another long silence then Mulder turned dark, troubled eyes up at Alex. The assassin held his arms out and Mulder nearly threw himself into them. The force thrust Alex against the headboard and he held onto the other man. When one hand crept downward to cup a firm ass cheek, Mulder growled, "Hey, that's more than just comfort, bucko."

"What, I can't get a little comfort?"

Mulder pulled away and shook his head. "Not that kind. You're not the asshole sitting with an assassin while your boyfriend could be cheating on you."

Alex nodded. "Nope, I'm not."

Mulder sighed then suddenly pushed back into Alex's arms again and kissed him quickly. When he pulled away, he put his hand to his lips and blushed furiously.

"I didn't mean to do that, Alex. But I won't apologize," he said quietly, unable to meet the other man's gaze.

*Damn, but Alex felt good* he thought reluctantly before he moved away.

"Why don't you take a shower, Mulder?" Alex suggested.

Mulder shrugged his shoulders. "Okay." The sudden need to be away from temptation fueled his movements as he walked away.

He took one of the towels the hotel furnished and walked into the bathroom, shutting the door. Alex made a quick phone call, and then sat on the bed quietly until Mulder came back from the bathroom, towel around his waist, looking damn sexy. Alex swallowed hard then moved past the still damp body on his own way to the bathroom. At the last moment, though he couldn't resist. He turned, caught Mulder's towel and yanked hard.

"Krycek!!"

Alex snickered and quickly shut the bathroom door on one very upset agent wearing nothing but a frown.

Mulder sighed hopelessly then grabbed clean underwear he found in Alex's things and put them on, hating the fact he felt suddenly very aware that these were a pair of Alex's briefs. He simply refused to talk to the side of his brain that was so very interested in this information. He just kept dressing on auto-pilot, pulling on the leather pants and then putting on the undershirt he'd worn before. Simple, he thought. He waited as patient as he could, knowing that Alex was going to emerge from the bathroom wearing nothing but a towel. He wasn't disappointed.

Alex entered the room with nothing on but the hotel towel, which left little to the imagination,  and then proceeded to turn little into nothing as he whipped it off with what could almost be called a flourish.

"Alex!" gasped Mulder in indignation, but the other man just busily put his clothing on and, noticing that a pair of his briefs was missing, smiled at Mulder. The man on the bed refused to respond to such a smirk.

Mulder couldn't stop that part of his brain which had suddenly become very attuned to Alex from noticing the beautiful, sleek way in which the assassin moved. He was like a cat, very loose and fluid. Mulder wondered if that would be nice to feel against him in bed next to the hard, muscular bulk of Skinner. The rational part of his brain refused to acknowledge what he just thought.

When Alex was fully clothed, Mulder relaxed.

"Come on, there's still over an hour before we need to go to Babylon. Why don't we get something to eat?"

Mulder shrugged. "Ok."

Mulder let Alex drive him since the other man was more familiar with Pittsburgh than Mulder. Alex drove to a nice restaurant where there was no waiting and a good table was found for them. Mulder thought it rather pleasant, though he naturally wondered what ulterior motives Alex had lurking just under the surface.

"You certainly seem very up to date on the stock market, Alex." Mulder was just trying to start a civil conversation with Alex.

"Yes, well, it's always good to know what's required to get to first base with someone."

Mulder choked. "You were just trying to impress Ted because you wanted to date him?"

"Actually, I wouldn't mind fucking him, but...."

Mulder gasped. "You do get around, don't you?"

"You'd be surprised how I don't, Mulder. I have to be careful. The best bet is the safe bet."

"So, you prey on defenseless, plain men because more than likely they are safer for a quickie. How romantic you are, Alex."

Alex didn't miss the sarcastic tone, but he refused to be baited. "I can be, Mulder. You just haven't been with me that way before, you just have no clue."

"No, I guess I don't."

"Well, actually, going to a place like this is generally how I start out my wooing, Mulder."

Mulder stopped taking a bite of his food and set his fork down. "Is this what this is, Alex? Did you bring me to Pittsburgh on a wild goose chase after my boyfriend, just because you wanted to be with the safe bet?"

"No, Mulder, you are definitely not a safe bet, no matter how you slice it."

Mulder sighed, exasperated. "Well, I guess in a way that's good, but why am I not a sure thing? You think Walter and I have unusual kinks?"

Alex grinned. "Not at all, but, you don't have to tell me your sexual history. It's purely the fact of who you are and, of course, who your boyfriend is, that makes you an unsafe bet."

"Are you afraid that Walter would pound you into the ground if he ever saw you with me?"

"Not really. It's the very real possibility that I could easily fall for you, Mulder, which makes you
downright dangerous to me."

Mulder's eyes widened at that confession. He was actually at a loss for words. They finished eating in silence, with each man suddenly doing his best to avoid looking at the other.

Finally, Alex spoke: "Hey, you don't have to be embarrassed about it, Mulder. It's not as if I
confessed my undying love for you. I'm not that quick to love, but I would definitely like it if things were different enough to at least try."

Mulder blushed and he hated himself for it.

"Want to leave?"

"What without dessert?"

Alex took Mulder's hand from where it was resting on the table, brought it to his lips and proceeded to lick and suck it. Mulder couldn't do anything. The sensations running straight to his groin were making him feel lightheaded. He couldn't move. A part of him was screaming to jerk his hand away, but another far more insistent voice was telling him how those pretty lips would feel around his cock.

"Do--" he had to swallow, "do you mind? We're in a public restaurant."

Alex nibbled once more before letting go of Mulder's hand. The agent shivered and growled, "You are in so much trouble. Just wait until we get out to the car."

Alex grinned and asked, "Sure you can make it?"

Mulder called the waiter over and asked for the check. When it was paid, he stood up and hurried out of the restaurant. Alex grinned the whole time, watching that stiff back leave.

"Let's go, Alex." Mulder glared at him from where he was standing very close to the car, waiting for Alex to unlock the doors so he could slip inside and hopefully get to a place where he could forget what just happened.

Alex tried to hide the smirk on his face and failed miserably. He unlocked the doors and Mulder dived in. After putting on their seatbelts, Alex nimbly reached over and grasped the bulge between the other man's legs. Mulder whimpered, but made no other sound or movement. Alex just grinned evilly then removed his hand to start the car and drive out of the restaurant's parking lot.

Mulder was very thankful that the drive to Babylon was uneventful. He began to seriously wonder if trying to call Walter one more time would be better than being tormented by the gay Casanova with quick fingers.

The place was so packed and so loud that Mulder knew calling Walter was out of the question. After paying their way in, they went in search of Michael and his friends. Alex eyed a sexy guy with a blond boy toy dancing together but was distracted by Mulder's arm patting his and saying loudly over the booming speakers. "There they are."

They were at the bar, drinking. Mulder immediately went up to Michael and asked, "Have you seen your boyfriend?"

"Uh, yeah, shortly before I came here. He doesn't always like to come to Babylon. Anyway, he said he was meeting an old friend and told me to have fun."

Just then they noticed two older men walk through the mass of gyrating young men. They were talking animatedly and smiling at one another. Michael and Mulder watched in shock as Walter and David kissed, gently at first, then more passionately. The younger men gaped, jaws hanging open, not believing what they were witnessing.

Michael grabbed Mulder's hand and pulled him away. Mulder followed reluctantly, wanting desperately to talk to Walter, but feeling compelled to follow the younger man, who was looking just as stunned as Mulder felt. Mulder wasn't even certain if either one of them felt hurt yet, just shocked.

Alex watched them leave and would have followed but Ted and Emmett were pulling him toward the bar, asking him all sorts of questions, and falling all over each other in a friendly rivalry to engage him. He had to admit that if he couldn't have Mulder, at least he could have these two sexy guys. He leaned over to one and whispered something, then leaned over to the other and whispered again. The two stared at each other in shock and then enthusiastically nodded their heads. Alex grinned, grabbed their hands and pulled them out of Babylon entirely.

Mulder pushed Michael bodily against the wall and began kissing those soft full lips with his own.

Michael gave as good as he got, thrusting his tongue between Mulder's lips and kissing the older man frantically. This was silly, ridiculous, totally wrong, but neither of them made a move to stop. As Mulder's fingers ran up and down the sides of Michael's hard body, he kept saying to himself, 'Just quit, pull away and quit this. Nothing good will come of this.'  But his body refused to listen as his hand began rubbing the younger man's crotch enthusiastically.

Michael was arguing with himself about doing this: no matter how gorgeous the guy was, he was cheating on his boyfriend. So fucking what if they had made an agreement that it was alright to be with others. That wasn't the point. He had just reacted to what he saw, not even thinking of consequences or what mattered.